Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Satellite service      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Satellite servicePage 1 of 1    
When I had Satellite a while back, there were two ways to hook up more than one TV, with different results for each.

If you only want to see the same channel on all TV's at once, you don't need a second receiver, just a signal splitter. Maybe a signal amplifier, if the signal is weak.

If you want to be able to watch a different channel in each room, you need to add another transponder to your actual satellite dish. The channel selection is made AT THE DISH, not in the receiver. The receiver just acts as a remote box that tells the dish which channel you want, and processes the signals.

So if you want two TV's, set to see different channels, you need a dual dish transponder, AND a two receivers. Oh, and each transponder will require a separate cable from the dish, all the way into your house to where the other TV and receiver are.

By the way, the transponder is the part mounted on the arm that reaches out in front of your dish, and points back towards it.

This is different from the way that cable TV works. In that setup, all of the channels come down the cable at once, and are selected at the cable box. Therefore, to add a TV for cable, you only need another cable box, and a signal splitter.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Satellite service
Posted: 1/26/2013 8:12:04 AM
Thanks. I didn't refresh my nomenclature as I should have. Anyway, what I said is still the way things work. The thing is you need to have a "thingy" on your dish, and cabling, and a receiver, for each TV that you wish to watch different channels on.

If you drive around a neighborhood where lots of folks have dishes, and you look closely, you will likely see some with a single "thingy" on it, and others with as many as three, and even four of them.

I miss the middle days of cable, when the providers sent the whole range of signals down the line, and all you needed to have multiple TV's seeing different channels, was the tuner in each TV and a signal splitter. Those days are gone now. Most cable providers now scramble the signals, so that you have to rent separate hardware from them for each set. Oh well.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Satellite service
Posted: 1/27/2013 1:20:49 PM
that's cool. Must be new technology, not available here, if you don't need 2 lnb's.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Satellite service
Posted: 1/27/2013 2:14:08 PM
well what kind of dish is it directv dishnetwork etc...?

With directv and dishnetwork you shouldn't need any type of spilter if you are only going to install it in another room. all you need to do is route the cable line from the other room to the dish. now if you are installing 3 or more recivers into a house then you need a switch.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Satellite service