Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Catfish MTV      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 2
Catfish MTVPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

To sum it up, I was recently fooled and I wasted 5 months on someone that is really fake. So I can totally relate to this show LO

Based exactly on your issues I would arrived at a totally different conclusion. Meet fast. One meeting and you will realize they are full of s hit, and be done with. Total, time wasted, 5 emails, not 5 months. End of story.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 3
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/24/2013 8:30:58 PM
Yes, the guy that produces that show, was a victim of a huge scam. It was featured on 20/20 a couple of years ago.
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 4
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 6:29:02 AM
How would you be able to check someone out, if you don't know their real name. I personally would never ever give my real name out, till we are well into the relationship. I don't want people googling me. Thats private. Why would I want someone fishing around mine and my families personal info?
 spot4username
Msg: 6
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 7:28:07 AM

How would you be able to check someone out, if you don't know their real name. I personally would never ever give my real name out, till we are well into the relationship. I don't want people googling me. Thats private. Why would I want someone fishing around mine and my families personal info?

Because some people are just liars. Of course a liar doesn't want someone to google them do they? I mean their real age among other things may be found out. ;)
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 7
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 7:34:57 AM
Real age? I know that wasn't meant for me. If you meet someone, you will know right away if someone lied. Right? And age isn't a physical characteristic, its a chronological issue. . .

Anyways, its not about being caught in a lie, its about wanting to keep you and your families info private. simple as that.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 8
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:12:30 AM
No one is going to google me...i don't give out my last name until we have been out a few times. I will call him, (*67) and he won't have my facebook or email account.

It works for me. If they are really interested, they understand, and have.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:24:41 AM

I seen that show, and not sure why but enjoyed it.
What he Nev, they guy who started he show does is takes a picture and runs it with Google image search, to see if that picture surfaces somewhere else, with different name. Or finds it in Facebook, and contacts a few people on his/her friend list, to try to get some info about him/her.
It's funny, but the person who ask Nev to help could do a same thing, I always wonder why don't they???

All the people on here that chat for 6 months without meeting and claim to have fallen in love, should be tied to a chair and forced to watch it.

I agree. I saw one episode where he was talking with her for 2 years.
Than she turned out to be a guy. That I saw three times already. She was actually a guy..Hm...
 cooldog65
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:38:16 AM
I have watched every episode so far and most of the fakes are facebook profiles with fake photos lifted from old MySpace profiles.
 LathaMath
Msg: 12
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:40:39 AM
After seeing "Catfish" mentioned in the forums this week I happened to see the DVD on the returns cart at the public library so I brought it home and viewed it. That was the original film. Seems he has parlayed it into a TV show. The film claims to be a documentary about a fake Facebook profile and online romance which he and his film crew exposed. To me it seemed the 40-something perpetrator would not have the technical ability to perpetrate such a complex hoax but the 24 year old victim, a professional photographer, and his film crew would. I suspect a docu-drama rather than an honest-to-goodness documentary. Clever and entertaining "Blair Witch Project" sort of film but not as scary. Not as entertaining as the PoF forums. :)
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 15
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:17:04 AM
To good looking for his age? Now this you must explain. That seems highly discriminatory to me. Good looks has nothing to do with age. Would you say brad pitt, johnny depp are good looking? You realize how old they are right. or tom cruise for that matter. Age and looks have zero to do with each other.
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 18
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:46:27 AM
I never use my real name, no matter what site it is. So feel free to google my pic, lol
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 19
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:50:37 AM
Its much different with men though. Nobody ever calls tom cruise or johnny depp, "showing their age" except maybe for you. While tom cruise doesn't look like hes 21, he most certainly doesn't look 50 or close to it. But in general, its different for men. Men are considered in their prime in the 40 and even 50s. Just look at hollywood and all the action stars. All of them are in their 40's or close. Jason statham, the rock, mark walberg, tom cruise, johnny depp. and the list goes on an on.

But try and find a woman of that age, in action oriented roles. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but its very rare.
 spot4username
Msg: 20
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:50:54 AM

So feel free to google my pic, lol

Last time we googled your pic and posted the information obtained you got very angry. So angry that you deleted. Could we be so lucky again?

Yes, OP there are plenty of liars. Google is your friend. Don't have long drawn out "internet" relationships. If you feel a connection meet and meet quickly. Life is short, why waste a moment of it?
 lowmiles2
Msg: 21
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 1:16:22 PM
Like Hillary said, " what difference does's it make" !
 gtomustang
Msg: 22
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:17:48 PM
yeah, after watching that episode and the one that followed, I thought the same thing...no one was chasing average looking people. tho the brunette friend who wasn't a Playmate sure wasn't chopped liver....I wouldn't have complained, but then I don't need a Playmate to feel like a dating success either, which may have been his real problem.

reminds me of that college football player who thought talking to a woman online made her a gf. some people forget, the Internet is a tool, not an alternative reality where you can live the life you wish you had.

in the end, you can't expect reality to be anything for you...but reality. if its not sitting in front of you, don't make it a glorious reality.
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 23
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:34:59 PM
I love that this show is bringing these type of people out into the light. I think those who get so caught up in someone's appearance and pictures and have a so called relationship with no substance kind of deserve what they get. On the other hand the person that is doing the pretending, scamming or catfishing really needs to be shown for what they really are. They are also wasting years of their own life which they will never get back when they could be having a satisfying and authentic relationship. The only thing you can do online is the initial introduction and establishing common interests then it's time to meet up. Don't put all your eggs in to an imaginary basket. The computer or telephone can't keep me warm on these long, cold winter nights, and someone's typing abilities won't get him there either.
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 24
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/25/2013 9:42:03 PM
I didn't realize i was so infamous. But, unlike some, my pic is real and so am i.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:23:48 AM
So feel free to google my pic, lol

I just did and it says you work for your parents. Are you related to Rogue Vampire?

I saw that too. Also his picture on a whole bunch of bodybuilding related site.
Maye he is testing some products, and gives an oponien.

And..?OK cupid? Who is ZEKES?
"In love with a woman who lived 400 years ago."
"Hoping to find a woman that reminds me of her"..Huh??
Yeah, I was bored..
 spot4username
Msg: 26
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/26/2013 8:50:58 AM

But, unlike some, my pic is real

Yeah, real old. Why not use a newer pic? Don't bother answering - we know why.

OP and everyone else ^^^ this is why you research. People will lie. They will use photos that aren't theirs or they will use very old photos whilst lying about their age among other things. I stick to my own personal rules - if I have an interest I prefer to meet quickly. Don't get emotionally invested through "talk".
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 27
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/26/2013 8:59:51 AM
No, i'm into bodybuilding. which should be obvious. As for the 400 yr. old woman. I'm currently almost finished writing a novel based on this woman.
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 28
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/26/2013 9:02:47 AM
One pic is older, one pic is only a year old. I can understand using pics 20 years old, but ones that are only a couple years old, does that really matter? I can understand if I look completely different now (ie... lost all my size, no longer look like the pic) then I can fully understand someone saying that, otherwise, it shouldn't matter.
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 29
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/26/2013 9:07:37 AM
Real old? 2 or 3 years isn't "real old" I am actually big and more muscular now, than in the pic. I just don't like taking pics. I have met numerous people from this site, and nobody has ever said, "gee, you don't look like your pics" so stop being a hater.
 MuscularVampire
Msg: 30
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/26/2013 9:11:06 AM
If you like someone, and that person says they will only talk to guys, age 21-32, and you are over that age range. so, what, you can't talk to her? Is that fair? So many men will lie in order to get their foot in the door, that would have been other wised closed. Those who say its wrong to lie about someones age, well, its also wrong to not date or not talk to someone because of age. If people are going to judge by age, then people will lie about it.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 7:55:45 AM
I saw an episode that a guy was talking to someone he thought was a transexual. He was very upset that she was actually born a woman and had a child. But yet, he lied about his pics and didn't understand what the big deal was. She was very forgiving...and decided to be a lesbian after all.

I just saw that yesterday!
Did he really told her that the only reason he is talking to her because she was sending him money???
Paying his cell phone bill?? Did I heard it right???
And yeah, I guess he was looking to find something under her skirt, but when the truth came out, he was out..LOL

I stick to my own personal rules - if I have an interest I prefer to meet quickly.

That is my rule as well.

If you like someone, and that person says they will only talk to guys, age 21-32, and you are over that age range. so, what, you can't talk to her? Is that fair? So many men will lie in order to get their foot in the door, that would have been other wised closed. Those who say its wrong to lie about someones age, well, its also wrong to not date or not talk to someone because of age. If people are going to judge by age, then people will lie about it.

Well, fair or not, if she is looking for a guy between he ages of 21-32 and he is over that age range, than no he can't talk to her!
So sure you can "get your foot in the door", but what will happen when she finds out?
You really banking on that by that time she can't say no to you?? Pfftttt..
And it is wrong to talk to someone because of her age!
If she is under age it would be wrong for me to talk to her..On a "dating site" I mean.
But I guess those guys who get caught on a show called "To catch a predator", and show up to have sex with an underage girl who tells them that she is 13 don't think so.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 32
Catfish MTV
Posted: 1/27/2013 9:42:55 AM
The people who suspend belief and common sense due to their own desperation are the "Suckerfish."
Without them, there are no targets for all the "sounds too good to be true" scenarios.
As per our cultural bias, the "suckerfish" are portrayed as blameless victims.
Maybe computer monitors should be required to have a sticker (like a warning label on coffee that it might be "hot") - stating "Not for the use of stupid, greedy and easily manipulated morons who have nothing better to do than live out a fantasy that is only occurring in their own head."
Oops! I guess that would wipe out all the WOW and Dungeon and Dragons websites!

P.S. The guy who got his show produced (Nev), was originally accused of knowing his episode of being "catfished" was a hoax, but he went along with it anyway, to manipulate his audience and milk it for all the attention and TV time he could get. Who was the real "catfish?"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/thr-esq/lawsuit-seeks-expose-truth-catfish-55969?miss=1

Here's other threads:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14210044.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts15820873.aspx
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Catfish MTV