Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I think he is using a fake identity      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sgkr
Msg: 1
I think he is using a fake identityPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I got stood up by a man that I feel is using a fake identity. He was supposed to meet me at a local restaurant in my town of less than 5,000 people and it is on a state line, so he was out of state. We even talked right up to within an hour of the date. He "claimed" he was there by telling one lie after another. I wish I could warn others about him because that is just creepy!
 Stubidooo
Msg: 2
I think he is using a fake identity
Posted: 1/25/2013 7:45:41 AM
Getting stood up has been happening as long as people have been dating.

Has nobody seen a movie where the guy or gal has a friend go in and "check them out" and then decide whether or not to go through with it? It's not really "creepy".. it's just part of the dating experience.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/25/2013 7:58:10 AM
Not being mean but did you have any reason to think he's using a fake identity, because your explanation is just suggesting someone who either misrepresented themselves, who had a drive by look and decided you weren't for him, changed his mind possibly due to nerves and thinking he was ready to date when he wasn't, or just behaved in a flaky manner.

There is nothing to suggest he used a fake identity which is a serious allegation vs him just not being the type of person you hoped.

You can't warn others against him because other than being rude and inconsiderate, he's done nothing wrong and that conclusion is based on just one side of the story. He could well be thinking that you didn't look like your photos and therefore were dishonest with him. I'm not saying that's the case, merely pointing out that there are two sides to every story.

Just be grateful you only wasted a little time with him - but also be aware, that he might not treat the next person in the same way. He could have been there and decided against you being his match and just doesn't have the social skills to see the date through or be honest that he changed his mind.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/25/2013 8:03:29 AM
Riki Lake just did a show on scammers from on line dating sights....

Watch out.
 laskoboo
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2013 9:44:50 AM
Scammers of all types can be on dating sites... fake identity, fake names... all very common.... this is not unusual... as first meets are just meets, not dates. He maybe did not stand you up, but showed up and did not like how you looked, so just disappeared. In first meets anything can happen. I would not think much about it. Plan to meet someone the first time in a public place for 20 to 30 minutes, make it very casual. If there is interest, you can set up a date for another day.
 Fatuglybaldcreeper84
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/25/2013 10:13:32 AM
What really makes me want to puke is I'm sure a website is coming in the future that allows everyone to tell dating stories about other people. I can only imagine what some of my ex girlfriends and their friends would say about me.

The world has gone down the toilet.
 That_girl*
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/26/2013 8:56:28 AM
@ Fatuglybaldcreeper84

hate to break it to you but those websites already existed well before you came along an are growing even more now,,gasp even on here people talk about their bad dates an bad exs..who woulda thunk it aye!!

so just what is it you know your exs an their friends will say about you we are all listening ears!!
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/26/2013 9:04:17 AM
It happens to the best of us. Unsure the fake identity stuff though. Woman I was meeting at a street fair called just as I got in my car to leave after a no show & not answering her phone. I blew the game player off.
 carolann0308
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 10:27:26 AM
He probably did a drive by. Walked in was not impressed and walked out. It's rude cowardly and happened to many of us.
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/26/2013 10:43:50 AM
He probably did a drive by. Walked in was not impressed and walked out. It's rude cowardly and happened to many of us.

IF it was the case, that meant she physically looked significantly different from her profile pictures, his reaction of walking out to her DIShonesty is very reasonable, fair enough....
 bibliophile1
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/26/2013 10:48:06 AM
Think we've all known a guy like that. A guy stood me up once (that I'd already met) then when I phoned him up, after him ignoring my call, he said "It's not my fault. You're the one standing in the rain". haha makes me laugh now since we were both about 14. So OP's guy sounds pretty immature to me.
 arwen52
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2013 11:36:11 AM
A lot of guys who make a date and either cancel at the last minute or don't show up are married.

Or, as others said, he did a drive-by and was too much of a coward to actually meet.

Blow it off. Not worth fretting over. He did you a favor.

Nothing to "warn" people about.
 Maleman999
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/26/2013 12:04:34 PM
Why would you think he's using a fake identity if you never met him or know anything about him? He could make the same claim about you, based on the same amount of evidence. It's possible it could have been a kid posing as an adult just to string people along and mess with them for thrills.
 MichelleAutrey
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:16:19 PM
Wow..that is cold and very immature..even if i meet someone who does not look the way i want or desire..i show them respect as a human-being..ladies don't lie or post old pics..i have many guys tell me the women flat out lied and they felt deceived..I know many heavy women who are beautiful and successful.and this goes for the guys too..there is no need for this nonsense and dating is supposed to be fun..what happened to decency ..why is everyone so desperate to find the one..when getting to know new friends is a gift in its self..so show all your new updated pics..I have many nice pics with long hair but i have cut my hair now so i show those first..when guys meet met they are very pleased i look just like my pic..then we can talk personality..
 Inicia
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:56:00 PM
you bet ya a fake identity "he was pretending to be a Man" but was really a mouse. lol undale` His drivers liscense read speedy gonzales.
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/26/2013 7:58:13 PM
unfortunately there is no way you can warn others . but everybody is aware that creeps like him do exists .
 Happy_gal2013
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/26/2013 8:33:34 PM
He could just be a game player or a flake. Who knows he may have been a 17 year old pimpled faced kid just playing around. You may need to do is adjust your picker when it comes to a date. Good luck
 logicalman1111
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/26/2013 8:39:28 PM
What if he was a ghost, could see you but you coudn't see him. I think that's what happened and now you better be careful about telling others about him because he might sue you for slander. If there are any ghost on the jury, he will win, if the judge is a ghost you will get railroaded, think about it.
 chelseagirl65
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/22/2013 5:06:17 AM
I usually do the whole check out their photos and if they are anywhere else online (you can do this via google) I have caught 3 guys out with this and one guys was some famous baseball player in the US, another was an actor which I figured out as I had seen the photo before etc etc.... I don't report them I just confront them and make out that I've put their photo and name on the forum list of Fakers (which we should have in my honest opinion) and I just say they've been busted and laugh!!!! One replied back and said its my photo blah blah blah....and seriously I knew what Gerard Butler looks like and it ain't you... Was hilarious... silly silly men. Guys on here shouldnt really insult us girls intelligence.. tsk tsk tsk!!!!
 Michael1W
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/6/2014 2:54:37 PM
Has nobody seen a movie where the guy or gal has a friend go in and "check them out" and then decide whether or not to go through with it?

No doubt that often happens and I can understand why someone would have a friend go in and check. However, suppose they both send in friends? Likely they would never meet.

Also, if you don't look near as good as your profile photos; for example, if your profile photos are ten years old. it is understandable that if he sees you first, he is going to leave without speaking and rightfully so.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2014 3:18:37 PM
Maybe the wife said no. Get over it and move on.
 activemelaney
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2014 3:21:53 PM
Was there any hint of a warning sign before this?

If so, never agree to meet. Definitely don't agree to meet again.

As for him being fake. It could be a hundred things. No way of knowing. As others often state...see it as a positive and having dodged a bullet. No reflection on you. Most people are honest and decent.. Let the experience make you smarter but don't let it make you jaded.
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2014 3:54:29 PM
op is long gone, thread's a year old, not much to see here.
 usmale6
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/7/2014 9:40:26 AM
You got catfished. That's a common prank that high school kids pull... they will text you right up to an hour before you get there, telling you they are on their way, but they never show.

Even voices can be faked on the phone... Dr. Phil had an episode with a man/catfish who posed as a woman online and on the phone. You never really know who you are talking to until you meet. Getting stood up occasionally is just part of online dating.
 Maleman999
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/7/2014 10:26:22 AM
Since the OP talked to him within an hour before the meet and shortly after to say they missed each other, I'm not totally convinced there was deception. If the guy called shortly after the scheduled meet to say he didn't see her there, what the OP should've done is say to him: "Why don't we both head back there to meet right now, since we both planned that anyway. What color and make of vehicle are you driving, so that I can look for it to know if you're there before me?" If he gives excuses why he can't make it, then you will know he wasn't interested in the first place for whatever reason.

To me, someone using a fake identity is someone who has profile pictures of someone who is very sexy and physically fit looking and states a profession where they make a six figure salary, when the reality is the person is fat, ugly and is making minimum wage flipping burgers. Being a no-show on a first meet has nothing to do with a fake identity.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > I think he is using a fake identity