Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > which is better for a profile: funny or serious      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 minervyx
Msg: 1
which is better for a profile: funny or seriousPage 1 of 1    
Which profile do you think is better?

A funny profile full of random silly minute observations (but not boorish)

Or a serious profile that's a bit conscious and philosophical (but not preachy)

Of course, there is no doubt that a good profile should have a little bit of both. A profile that tells a lot about a person and what they believe in, but at the same time is fun, and light-hearted goes a long way.

But if you had to choose, which way would you prefer.

A profile that's mostly funny, with a little bit of seriousness.
Or a profile that is largely serious, with a little bit of humor.
 rockstar_nj1182
Msg: 2
which is better for a profile: funny or serious
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:01:33 AM
If I had to choose, serious. Too much funny shows that you're not taking it seriously.
 minervyx
Msg: 3
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:05:55 AM
absolutely true.

a person could use their humor as a way to hide important things about themselves. in the end, it may make people laugh, but done excessively, it really says nothing about how the person really is outside of their funny-persona.

then again, many of the serious profiles try to be a Dr. Phil / life coach / college professor , and that comes off really cheesy.
 FairOaksChick
Msg: 4
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:17:17 AM
The best profiles contain a photo of the person. If the girls like your photo, you can come across as a complete fool in the text portion, and you will still get responses.
 minervyx
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:24:09 AM
agreed. your photo quality is half or maybe the majority of what the girl/guy will base their verdict on.

but a strong profile text does make it easier to have a great conversation that will lead somewhere
 Zuglo65
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:34:16 AM
I chose neither. Or 50/50.
People want "sense of humor", it could come across in your profile.
Serious could too.
I don't know. I like a little bit off both.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/29/2013 9:38:55 AM

Which profile do you think is better?

Just be something "different". Women read a LOT of bland profiles written by guys who didn't put a lot of thought or effort into it.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:38:02 AM
It really doesn't matter. I've done both over the years.

Nothing really matters except your picture. I think we all know this.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 9
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:41:26 AM

Of course, there is no doubt that a good profile should have a little bit of both. A profile that tells a lot about a person and what they believe in, but at the same time is fun, and light-hearted goes a long way.

That's your answer right there. Describes my profile.
 c_deacon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:46:47 AM
Reality check OP......

Your pictures will get their attention, and your profile will fill in the blanks about the amount of time they will spend even trying!!

Nothing right or wrong about it.....just plain and simple, how you look will get the attention, and how you spell, use grammar, and show your independence, education, financial solvency, and attitude....will determine if you are going to be a one night stand, short term, or relationship material.

Welcome to POF!!

cd
 Stubidooo
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/29/2013 10:47:20 AM

Nothing really matters except your picture. I think we all know this

I don't believe this is entirely correct. No matter how "hot" the photo, I will indeed pass if the profile contains some key words or phrases that I have learned to look for. Negativity in the profile is always a pass. If they are willing to have their first impression be a negative attitude, just imagine how they will be in real life.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/29/2013 11:45:52 AM
I prefer a mix of funny and serious. I'm looking for an intelligent man with a great sense of humor. A few lighthearted touches shows he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Writing a profile essay is not an either-or proposition. I wrote my profile from my heart and threw in humor.
 Orgulloso
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/29/2013 12:42:26 PM
OP,

I'd vote for EFFECTIVE.
 OutMind
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/29/2013 2:45:33 PM
Funny, serious, long, short, it doesn't matter.

The important thing is what also is very important in advertising. And the saying goes like this "differentiate or die."

If you write the same crappy stuff other write, you will be forgotten. You write your guts out, then it doesn't matter. Be memorable, but also give them a version of YOU that is not a cliche. You want them to go wow, I want to meet this person.

So if you are funny, be funny. If you are philosophical or a poet, put something down that is awesome. If you are shy, then say something unique that opens you emotionally to them.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/29/2013 3:22:48 PM
If I had to choose, I would pick serious. I want to know something about the person other than that they have a sense of humour.

As for the picture, yes that is important but unless the pictures were scary bad, I always read the profile and made my decision based on what was written there.
 Jamesin2013
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/29/2013 8:29:10 PM
well,,,,this seems like it has to be directed at men because as well all know,,women have NO sense of humor and what they do find funny,is usually something men just find annoying,,,,so,,,,,,,,,,,,i have to admit i have never ever read a woman's profile that was genuinely funny ,,most of the time i found that the women trying to be funny were just obnoxious and not funny at all,,but instead were good looking and men had been laughing at every stupid thing they had been saying for so long they mistake this for them actually being funny.....which is of course,,,not true as i stated above

lol,,,ok,,,as with all things there are exceptions to the rule,,but,,i am only half kidding,,,,,,,,,,a woman with the same sense of humor as me is really hard to find...i like raw adult humor which most women are just going to say is mean and hurtful,,,,and ,,it is,,,that's why it's so funny

it's not the joke so much as it is the self righteous responses it gets from uptight people with no sense of humor that makes it funny,,,,,
 minervyx
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/30/2013 5:30:39 AM
yeah, nobody's doubting that photos matter.

no matter what kind of profile it is, if there aren't good photos, it won't work.

both funny or serious are better than most profiles which are neither

the average profile is:
hi my name is ---. I work at --- / I study at ---. I major in --- / I like my job because ---. I like to cook, travel, swim. I've lived in --- for -- years. My friends say I'm outgoing. I'm funny and smart. Im laid back and I like to chill. I like to watch --- on tv and i listen to ---.

This profile wouldn't be bad, except for the fact that 90% of profiles follow this template.

that said, i think everyone should find their own niche. the more specific and different you get, the better.
better to have a profile that 20% of the opposite sex really like and 80% don't really care for it at all
than to have a profile that everybody sort-of likes, but no one is compelled to message it

there's no way to please everyone.

some people will think your serious profile is too philosophical.

others will think your funny profile is way too silly.

in the end, go for a niche. not everyone.
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/30/2013 1:48:40 PM
You have to have a good balance of humor and seriousness, like my profile. Mostly humorous because that's who I am but thoughtful and I leave some clues to other aspects of my personality. Only an uptight woman would think I'm not taking this dating thing seriously. If a woman is too insecure to go toe to toe with me on wit then they'll stay away from me and that's exactly what I want. I've wasted many an email exchange with people that wanted a witty person but then couldn't reciprocate on-line. Bad sign, I move on. Those that find my profile attractive realize that it takes creativity and intelligence to write good humor. That's the whole point. People that don't get that won't measure up in my book and won't get anywhere with me. Humor is a sign of intellect and seriousness. Why? Because of all the time and thought that was invested in creating a funny and complex profile. People that write trite or so-called dry/serious profiles haven't expended very much effort at all. I don't find them attractive one bit. Anyone can write a profile like that, shows no effort on their part. I find those profiles completely boring, a poor reflection on the authors.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2013 2:02:03 PM
Just a profile that represents the person.
If they're a funny person, with some zany, off-the-wall sense of humour, always playing pranks and stuff, then yeah, a funny profile would be representative of them.
Flipside, if they're a serious sort of person.

It all depends on the person.
 mjk3937
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/30/2013 4:12:49 PM
I think the most effective approach is to be funny in a smart-alecky and slightly aloof sort of way. Being funny isn't the opposite of being serious if you do it right. (See also: post #20.)

Being downright silly is more of a hit-or-miss proposition. Some people will see it as clowning, which isn't generally seen as attractive. It's excruciating to read a profile in which the person's self-aware attempts at humor totally belly-flop.

Any guy who takes himself too seriously is going to get killed here, especially if he's under age 30 or so.
 gtomustang
Msg: 21
Posted: 1/30/2013 4:39:44 PM
the one with the hottest photo. sounds cynical, but people shop for dates online the way they shop for anything online--they expect it to be everything they want. remember when people accepted whatever type of coffee they got? now they want it custom flavored, b/c that's how they get it at Starbucks.

the main reason anyone goes to the Internet is for entertainment, otherwise they'd go to a bricks and mortar place to get what they want and see it in person before "paying" for it. comedy is a little difficult online, since there's no body language behind it for the recipient to read. ultimately, tho, do the one that gets the person you want. If you're naturally serious but get a friend to cook up some silly stuff...you're gonna hate the goofy gal that shows up on your first date.
 Hapworth
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/30/2013 7:12:39 PM
Jeesh, this should be retitled "The Jaded/Cynical" thread.

Listen, no doubt, visuals are important. A woman (in my case) can write a fantastic written profile, but if I am not attracted to her at all, I won't be interested. I also had a very good dating experience with a POF woman that I found very attractive, but her "About Me" section was just blah. It wasn't bad, but it was generic (an earlier poster did a good job mocking this sort of generic-ness). So, yeah, pics are important.

But I think too many people are discounting (or, as young people like to say, "dissin") the power of the written word. I have absolutely passed on messages from women who I find attractive that write terrible profiles. I am no snob, but if the profile is rife with spelling/grammar errors or is written in text speak, I pass. If the woman radiates too much anger or bitterness (or, worse, too much drama ("My baby daddy is currently in prison")), I pass. On the other hand, there are some "plain Jane" types who instantly became more attractive because of their intelligence, their humor (despite the sexist rant of an earlier poster, women CAN be funny), and their wit.

Based on the posts written so far, one would assume that there's a rigid dichotomy: You're either hot or your not, and that's all that matters.

But I concede that I might be out of touch. I am 41. I am a dinosaur.
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 23
Posted: 1/30/2013 7:55:03 PM
Good looking women are a dime a dozen in the Washington DC area so if what they've written is generic, bland or too serious, they won't get any interest or response except a courteous thanks for writing but sorry, no interest. A hot photo is not enough. I'm looking for a real partner not so called arm candy.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > which is better for a profile: funny or serious