Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Parents Religion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 2
Parents ReligionPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I never grew up with religion, but a lot of other comments I read here or elsewhere, even a couple people I know, seem to be along the lines with you. Others aren't. 50/50 i guess.
 relaxingwithyou
Msg: 3
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/4/2013 1:31:48 PM
I think it's pretty common these days. People don't go to church as much due to bad experiences as kids. Screwed us all up at least a little bit.

I remember being about 5 yrs old in Sunday school and the constant lesson of turning the other cheek. So in my little girl mind I translated that to making friends with the aggressive azzholes at school to "love thine enemies". I literally learned to bond and constantly forgive people I should have avoided. Took years to delete that program.

Jesus was a great guy but these religions are trying to make something out of what people said happened thousands of years ago and keep taking his words out of context. They've totally lost touch IMO.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 4
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:27:44 PM
I can only share what I chose to do as a parent. I wanted my children to be aware of all things that they would be exposed to in mainstream life. I wanted them to form their own opinions about things and not to have them come from a source that was pro- or against whatever it was.
My children attended church with me growing up. I wouldn't have had them in a church where it was anything but mainstream with a very traditional views on religion- where people attend church to learn about things in the Bible, etc., with the complete ability to form and uphold their own views. I attended a church that had a good study of the Bible- not one that was trying to drive a lot of their views home.
I also wanted my kids exposed to other religions/ beliefs and when the opportunity arose to go to church with a friend of another religion I thought it was great. My son was in a scout troop where all of the parents/ families were Mormon and they met a lot of the time at their church for activities and meetings. I felt it offered him the opportunity as above mentioned in addition to being in a great scout troop.
IMO being a parent is not about exposing our children to our prejudices. It's about exposing them to free choice, with the understanding of the basics- what's right and wrong, honesty, having good character, etc.
 J_bird61
Msg: 5
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:24:45 PM
Question - is it the religion you didn't like or your parent?

I learned that there are people within religions that are extreme with it or laid back with it and yet
it's the same religion.
 POFisLOL
Msg: 6
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/4/2013 5:13:02 PM
We probably should rename this forum "religion and philosophy" at this point.

Anyways, of course your environment (in this case: your parents) influenced your opinion. If cognitively you associate your parents as being bad and then you associate religion with your parents then you will associate religion with being bad.
 POFisLOL
Msg: 7
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/5/2013 3:27:52 PM

Once we're all growed up (heh) we should form our impressions of things by direct experience, not annecdotal experience as with how other people relate with it. Can be excused for regurgitating a parent's adherence to a faith for example, but once you're older you should be mature enough to come to your own conclusions and be judged for them

Partly true. As a grown person, you can think more adequately for yourself but that doesn't mean that you can easily erase psychological scars of your childhood.
 Luxxi
Msg: 8
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/17/2013 9:56:28 AM
I grew up with devoutly religious (christian) parents.. and I'm now Agnostic.

I still respect organized religion as a good thing for many people, but its simply not for me!
 RussArtLover
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/17/2013 1:03:05 PM
I guess I got lucky. Our preacher was a hellova story teller. My parents were a bit off n'on fundamentalist but PBS was a must when scientific shows were on. It was always a big deal when church friends came over, no PBS those nights :)
I was terrified of Catholic churches. The people seemed so sane but you walk in and there were all these idols everywhere.
Live n'learn
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 11
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/17/2013 2:53:33 PM
My parents were Methodist - or Christianity Lite....
;-)

When my father had his first heart attack at 53, he succumbed as many do to his fear of death and instantly became a devout southern baptist. That's pretty much the time we stopped talking religion at the dinner table....
 CureCurious
Msg: 12
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/17/2013 7:26:56 PM
Both my parents are Muslim. Though, from a very early age, i was very curious and introspective child. I had a fascination with religion and God and literally self taught myself to believe and worship. There was this one particular movie that really made me believe in God. And to this day, it's still my favourite cartoon. It's based on this philosopher's story, his name is Ibn Tufayl... and the story is Hayy -- it's about an infant who lands on an isolated island and raised by a gazelle... and his growing pu ad asking logical questions...

Anyways, at around age 21-24 i thought i was losing my faith in God and wasnt really sure where i stood with things... but after much thinking and research and discussions, i guess i realised i can never stop believing in God... or rather, deny His existence. It's too ingraine in me. God willing it remains to be the case. :)
 CureCurious
Msg: 13
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/17/2013 7:31:26 PM
If i have kids though, i wouldn't indoctrinate any one religion into them... i would however, encourage them to find and love the one God, and then to read and understand the Quran as well as to read all the religious texts ... see what they say... every religion has a good thing to say about something... and 'knowing the other, helps knowing oneself'. I would encourage them to be more in tune with nature and their environment and themselves... ask the right questions... always be in a state of thinking... and humility... not arrogance. Always be open to discovery. Be passionate about that.
 CureCurious
Msg: 14
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/18/2013 4:01:04 AM
for the believers, apostates and converts :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVCLp0LlR6k
 DameWrite
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/18/2013 7:39:46 PM
My catholic upbringing wasn't that disciplined and I kind of thought it was sweet, until about 5 years old. Then I figured out the scam it was even though it meant giving up my first love jesus. lol (mary was pretty pretty too, all done up in her powder blue).

I bet if it was more extreme I would have seen the light about these guys sooner.

I studied religions later and still nothing came out of it except MORE reason's to not trust them and eventually hate these religious criminals.

Teaching religion is a form of child abuse to me, yet I don't ALWAYS blame the ignorant parents. Ignorance was an excuse, not so much anymore. I do blame the leaders. I wish them nightmares and insignificance. They are horrid. (horrid = not worthy).

Religion is the biggest scam used to gain control and rip people off and take advantage of them. Perverted psychopaths should not be believed. I think if people were not afraid they'd string up these nut bars. No wonder they keep going with the fear mongering wrath of god b.s. it seems to work, they're still at it. (along with false promises).

The religious leaders are the hired hands of the greedos and have managed to get away with the ultimate deception through the most criminal tactics and story weaving.

I do hope everyone sees the light sooner than later. My mom did and so did most other family members, only lost one bro to the fckers. (hopefully not forever).
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 16
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/18/2013 7:42:32 PM
My folks were Episcopalian.
Which has a very sensible and tolerant practice.

So I grew up sensible and tolerant to others
and their spiritual views.
 Reach_er
Msg: 17
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/18/2013 9:20:13 PM
You are a very lucky man to have the the ability to make the decision not to pass religion onto your son.Religion is one of the reasons my x left me as I could not support her catholic beliefs.
Try using religion as an excuse to gain custody in court it doesn't work!!.I can't stand the fact that my son has been brain washed sense he was 2 years old and I can't do a thing about it. Now hes 7 telling me I need to get to know god.I have not yet told him I don't believe in god for fear of what damage it will do to his mind plus the fact that he has to live with a religious fanatic......for now.I know they are teaching him that if he comes across someone that doesn't believe in god that they should not be in his life.

I was tortured for many years as a teenager because of religion...worrying about my soul !!! It took a lot of questions and research to finally see the truth I have come to now.

Sorry for the rant..what I wanted to say was GOOD FOR YOU,you are doing the right thing imo
 CureCurious
Msg: 18
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/18/2013 11:16:13 PM
Stray Cat

"My folks were Episcopalian."

Tell me more about episcopalian?! I've never heard of it before. :)
 DameWrite
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/18/2013 11:24:03 PM
reach_er I feel for you. (and your son).
It is not right that the religious nuts are protected from being declared unfit and are allowed to teach this crap to minors, especially when one parent objects to it.

I'd be telling my son that his mom is a bit off anyway and wouldn't lie about my non belief. Then I'd do some deprogramming when I have him and work on getting custody with only supervised visits for her.

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/19/2013 5:01:06 AM
This is actually one of the many things I've thought about way more than I probably need to.

In particular, I wondered why I remember I DID believe in God and Jesus and so forth when I was a young child, and gradually came not to, as I aged.

In my case, I think what most caused the result, is that the entire structure of existence in America, is based on NOT really believing. It certainly NOMINALLY is true that more people claim to believe in some form of god than don't, but when it comes to how they conduct their lives, their belief system shows up only when they want something. I suspect that if my parents AND the rest of society around me, lived according to their claimed beliefs, I would have come to do so as well.
 CureCurious
Msg: 21
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/19/2013 5:25:55 AM
Why is it that people born as Christians are increasingly growing up to say "I dont believe in a god"

Whereas people raised as, say, Muslims, don't necessarily they dont believe in god.. they still do.. but admit to not be practising... they stop praying and going to mosque etc, but they still do simple things like not eating pork lol... i know muslims who will drink alcohol but refuse to eat pork... but the number of people who straight out say that they dont believe in god is much less.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/19/2013 7:56:15 AM

Why is it that people born as Christians are increasingly growing up to say "I dont believe in a god"

Our brainwashing wears off and as some would say, we fall through the cracks in the system that helps you to keep yourself brainwashed. Lots of nicer ways to say it, but it boils down to "The Truth Shall Set You Free".
 Reach_er
Msg: 23
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/19/2013 5:38:31 PM

'd be telling my son that his mom is a bit off anyway and wouldn't lie about my non belief. Then I'd do some deprogramming when I have him and work on getting custody with only supervised visits for her.-

Haa! I like the way you think Dame...I don't really lie to my son ,he knows I am not happy with his god but untell I can spend some serious time with him other then this bull shit one weekend a month thing I don't want him to be unhappy living with his mother.He already knows she is a bit off but seems to do what he can to keep her happy cause he all ready knows that if she is happy his life is a bit less stressful.
 DameWrite
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/20/2013 10:40:39 AM
He already knows she is a bit off but seems to do what he can to keep her happy cause he all ready knows that if she is happy his life is a bit less stressful.

Good, then he's not too far gone. Try to make sure that his appeasing mom is a temporary exception to self expression and logical thinking if you can.

Science world, dinosaur sites, labs, astronomy lookouts all would be on my list of things to do with him. Reading books that explain other ways besides creation too.

There are many who survived wack job parents, just make sure he has a few normal influences and in time, he'll figure it out. He'll figure it out quicker if you don't appease, and not hide from him the truth either. (not happy with his god is not the same as there is no god).
 Jammer63
Msg: 25
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:19:30 PM
I have read a few of these posts. Some seem on point. Personally, my parents introduced myself and my siblings to the christian beliefs. But, didn't force it upon us on a daily basis. Rather they allowed us to investigate and compare with other theories. Including scientific beliefs. And, through further belief structure study. I am led to believe that those missing years of "Christos Messiah" which is the Greek translation of his Aramaic name "Yeshua". May have been actually spent travelling into outlying asian and african areas. Absorbing some of the aspects of their beliefs. Such as the forgiveness of buddhism and the correlation of a natural society.
Then perhaps, upon return to his own society of birth. He may have perceived a hipocrasy of his own politicised hebrew society. So,much like even society of today. The powers that control the populous seeing a potential challenge to to their control over the people. Strived to eliminate that offending element. That time by enrolling the assistance of the invading outside forces-the romans.
Then as history indicates. The Romanic society first persecuted. Then embraced the Christian beliefs. But, not before politicising and skewing it. Hence, the creation of the "Holy Roman Empire". In doing so,many aspects of their previous pagan beliefs were transformed into the accepted norms of the "Religion". I say religion because, it is at that point no longer a belief or faith. Rather an enforced or indoctrinated absolute. However, I am not striving to only illustrate the conflict of just that particular belief. There is many conflicts of facts with other modern "Religions".
 Jammer63
Msg: 26
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/23/2013 8:42:00 PM
Oops..I think I made a small mistake in my last post. In using the term "Christos Messiah". I actually mixed it up. I believe the thought was, that in Greek the name was written as Jesus Christos-or Christ. In Aramaic I think it is " Yeshua Messiah". The other thoughts and points still stand.
 zenpeacelove
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Parents Religion
Posted: 2/25/2013 9:43:34 AM
My father was raised Baptist, but was non practicing. My mother was raised Shinto, but also did not practice after my birth that I know of. I was sent to an Episcopalian affiliated school for 12 years and was also taken to church during my childhood, by friends of the family who were Methodists. I LOVED the little grape juice communion trays there, but honestly, this was my favorite part of the Methodist church experience...
Early Christian exposure did influence me to the point that I tried to believe in God and thought if I was not "good" I would go to hell etc. But, I developed problems and had issues with Christianity and eventually moved away from the Christian church. I will let my child walk her own spiritual path, answering questions she may have to my best abilities and taking her to any religious ceremonies she may wish to see. In the end I believe it should be her choice, not mine.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Parents Religion