Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > If your date used a 50% off coupon on your first date...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Stubidooo
Msg: 2
If your date used a 50% off coupon on your first date... Page 1 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

Guys, would you use a coupon on a first date?

Never on a first date.
 OzzGirl22
Msg: 3
If your date used a 50% off coupon on your first date...
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:25:54 PM
I would never do that on a first date (yes, shockingly I have paid for first dates!)
If my date did I would not crucify him for it, but he would not win any brownie points either.
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:26:56 PM

Guys, would you use a coupon on a first date?

Yes, I would, and I have.
I presented it this way:

It's just like found money. If I found a $10 bill on the ground as we walked to the restaurant, should I pass over it or pick it up and use it for dinner?
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:27:40 PM
I'd see if I could match her with one of my own.
:-P

Cus non pretentious frugality
is pretty damn sexy in a woman.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:28:31 PM
This has come up a couple of times here. Some folks are in to appearances, some are not. The ones who are, tend to claim they wouldn't do it.

Personally, I'd have to say it depends upon the exact details of the discount offer, not who I was with, or what date we were on.

If the offer was legitimate, and was respectable (i.e. I didn't have to perform, or have my date perform some weird, embarrassing stunt, or wash the dishes), then absolutely I would. But it's part of my nature, and my way of looking at life, that if someone is going to think ill of me for how much money I appear to have, we will never get along anyway. Might as well find out while eating a half price meal as any other way.
 TalkingPie
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:31:16 PM
Why not, if it's a place you were going to eat at anyway? You probably can even pass the coupon to the server without your date noticing, and if they do, what difference does it make? If you're splitting the bill, the other person saves money too, and if you're paying for the whole thing, they'd better not have any thoughts of calling you cheap!

On the other hand, I once had a date tell me she wanted to go to a specific place because she had a 2 for 1 coupon. Both being students at the time, that seemed perfectly reasonable to me, so we did, and she used the coupon for herself, letting me pay full price for myself. That, I wasn't so impressed by.
 4ms4me
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:33:30 PM

Girls how would you react if a guy pulled out a 50% coupon at the restaurant, and used it on your "FIRST" date

Hey, that would be awesome - maybe it would mean we could an additional activity to our date (if we're both into and everything)! :)
 kangia
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:34:03 PM
I would love it! Especially if it was to try a new place! Nothing like a new 'adbenture' for both of us on a first date! If the food isn't that great then there is no real disappointment and you can laugh about it later

Nothing like coupons and happy hour prices to sample new food and places. It wouldn't turn me off. We would get along just fine.

If you can get a good meal for half the price sounds samrt to me. Makes it possible to save for a great trip or something!
 Whisky_River
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:35:52 PM
Wouldn't bother me if he used a coupon if we had dinner on a first date...less for me to pay...I hope.
I'm not much of a coupon person but if they had a" 2for1" special going on...hey, I may suggest going there...again..I always pay my way.

Edit in....vvvv That is what I was referring to...when I said...I hope...lol.
 pescando75
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:38:22 PM
She'll be really upset with me when she suggests we split the tab and I whip out my coupon for my half.
 flaneur001
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:44:43 PM
I disagree with this Igor

Some folks are in to appearances, some are not. The ones who are, tend to claim they wouldn't do it.

I tend to patronize locally owned restaurants (not chains). Using a coupon often cost the owners as well as people tend to not tip appropriately. I want to support my local businesses and make sure that servers all adequately compensated. I don't patronize places I can't afford to go to.

I also travel extensively and often go to countries where it's common practice to 'bargain' for purchases. I make a a comfortable income, I'm not going to e haggling with some woman who makes $5 a day...so I can get a $2 bargain. I'd rather pay full price and make someone's day.
 Kiki_Buttons
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:50:07 PM
I would think he was smart and good with his money!! I would definitely date him again if there was compatibility.
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:50:54 PM
Been there, he did that. Didn't bother me at all. The man was/is smart enough to find the coupon, he has my blessing to use it.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:51:25 PM
It wouldn't bother me one way or another if she was treating me and she had a coupon.
Really....why should she pay $50.00 for a meal when she can pay HALF that amount via a coupon?
Just ensure to tip the server on the full tally. That is common sense.
 _shakti_
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:52:02 PM
Why would it even necessarily need to be advertised?

My one ex absolutely refused to take me to a movie on cheap night, even well into the relationship. I thought it was utterly hilarious.. who cares?

I think it would show a bit of confidence if he just did it without feeling he needed to advertise or explain it. It could also come across like it was some kind of test.. all depends on how it was done I suppose.
 Debisusanne
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:54:42 PM
I would LOVE to find a man who has an "ENTERTAINMENT book".. full of bargains.. (2for1 deals)

He would be MY type for sure!
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:55:46 PM
Steve your question is fallacious, you're not allowed to buy dinner on the first date rule #12.....
 privat33r
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 2:57:21 PM
The methods to screw up meets and first dates are more obscure than simply doing 50:50's for entrees. I'm particularly fond of the smelly boots screwup. We each have our favorites.

Most of us were poor for long periods, or forever. Though I find them awkward, organizing a meal to get to know someone isn't worse with coupons. Someone who can pull off the coupons well has a skill. Skills are good. People respect skill. Even Sir Branson does cheap, there's no shame in being economical with style.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:01:51 PM
It will work as soon as I buy the Jag!
 EyeCU66
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:03:20 PM
Wouldn't bother me in the least.
 venusenvy777
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:05:54 PM
Ahahahahha pretty tacky but it would make a hilarious story if it ever developed into a relationship!!!
 StrykinOut
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:07:22 PM
I don't think I'm a snob but I just can't imagine taking a first date to a place that accepts coupons.
 Aww-Ree
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:12:08 PM
It wouldn't bother me if he used a coupon. And...if he left it up to me as to where we were to go for dinner...I'd dig in my purse and pull out my coupon holder and see what places I had coupons for, lol. Dating can be expensive...I wouldn't think the fella cheap. I'd think he was frugal. :)
 gtomustang
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:12:15 PM
label me a cynic, but I think it really depends upon two things:

1)the type of restaurant. At a $12 a plate place, it may seem tacky. At a fancy $25 a plate place you wouldn't wear a pair of jeans to, maybe not so much if both of you have talked before about places you'd like to try someday if you had a real good opportunity to...and there are some people who would be realistic and think, "well this person won't feel like I "owe 'em" some "dessert".

2)If the coupon presenter is really hot...funny how that covers a multitude of sins :)

in other words, the prior impression should be made long before the Diner's Club card/coupon gets pulled out :)
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/4/2013 3:14:30 PM

I don't think I'm a snob but I just can't imagine taking a first date to a place that accepts coupons.

There are some fairly fancy restaurants in those 2 for 1 Entertainment Books.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > If your date used a 50% off coupon on your first date...