Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Favorite documentary?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SemiCharmedBrooke
Msg: 1
Favorite documentary?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Hey! What's your favorite documentary? I'm always looking for something new to watch.
Here's a few of mine:
Dear Zachary
Battle for Chernobyl
Boy, Interrupted
Stephen Fry - Secret Life of a Manic Depressive
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 2
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/4/2013 5:05:54 PM
Watched what I think was a good one on the weekend.

Paul Williams, Still Alive
Director/ Writer: Stephen Kessler

If you grew up with a TV in the 70-80's you saw a lot of Paul Williams, from the tonight show (50 times) to pretty much any variety show there was, he was on it at some point. He wrote Grammy winning hits and songs that spoke a truth that many understood first hand.

One of the cool things is that is it a movie about a person but also a movie about the guy making the movie as the secondary storyline is the struggles Kessler has in creating the film.

While the pace may seem awkward at times the end result is an uplifting tale.

The overall message is also fantastic, which is understanding the difference from being "Special" and "Different"
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 3
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:17:28 PM
There are quite a few. I don't watch tv and instead watch a lot of documentaries- often from the history channel.

As well as:

Anything by Ken Burns- especially the Civil War series

The Mayans and how they used astrology

Travel docs

Planet earth/ nature docs (March of the Penguins)

here's a decent list: http://www.imdb.com/list/CfHXhW5C4fo/
 s.u.n.d.a.n.c.e
Msg: 4
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:32:11 PM
A Beautiful Truth...saw it on Netflix, they have a lot of good ones on health and nutrition. I also liked Girl 27 (a golden era Hollywood scandal).
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 5
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/4/2013 6:59:40 PM
I think one of my faves, more of a series, is one called The Adventure of English. it's actually a 6 part bbc series. They have another great set of series made of 5 or 6 episodes each, How ___ Changed the World. I saw a couple series. how geology changed the world, and how mathematics changed the world. It was a good several ears ago so i might forget the exact titles, but they were memorable and fun. If i'm not entertained then it's just a boring snooze fest of a doc.
(I do have the 1st one on dvd though)
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 6
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/4/2013 7:45:11 PM

Anything by Ken Burns- especially the Civil War series

Ditto.
And the History of New York City by his brother Ric Burns.
 notdating-forumsonly
Msg: 7
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/4/2013 7:54:46 PM

And the History of New York City by his brother Ric Burns.

Ditto. Put me in front of a good history documentary and I'm all over it.
 LennyPane
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/4/2013 11:45:03 PM
Craigslist Joe was the most recent one I've seen and it was great. History channel did a series called Vietnam in HD which was excellent. Another good one is called Reversal of Fortune, where a homeless man is given $100,000. Very interesting to see what he does with the money. It was even more interesting for me because it was filmed in my hometown. But my favorite, which in fact is a 'mockumentary', is a film called I'm Still Here. Actor Joaquin Phoenix (Walk the Line) decides to quit acting for good and start a career as a rapper. It really gets into the relationship between celebrity and media and the baggage that comes with fame.
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 9
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/4/2013 11:48:42 PM
Stephen Fry - Secret Life of a Manic Depressive
Definately. I'm reading his book. "The Fry Chronicles". Fry is such an open and great person.

Restreppo
The Future Is Unwritten, Joe Strummer.
The Chicago 8. 1968 DemocraticConvention.
Taboo
 nipoleon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 12:23:30 AM
One of my personal favorite movies, " F... is for fake ".

One of the last movies Orson Wells ever made.
It's about Howard Hughes and Clifford Irving , Picasso, and world of fakery and art forgery.
You wont be disappointed.
 windchymes
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 6:49:20 AM
There's a good one out there, I got it from Netflix, about Arlington National Cemetery in Washington DC. The part I found most intriguing is the part about those chosen to be the 24/7 guards, their selection, their training, etc. They're actually a very elite group. And of course, a lot of historical and emotional information about the cemetery itself, what it takes to be interred there, support groups for the widows so that no one ever goes through the burial of a loved one alone. It's a good watch.

Paul Williams, wow. I had a huge crush on him many years ago. He was kind of a mini John Denver, lol. Very talented and probably underappreciated man, I agree.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 12
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 7:58:08 AM

I love documentaries there are too many to pick a favorite.

I do like those which look at animals in their natural environments and have seen a couple lately from the BBC which concentrated on Britian's wild life. One was about the goshawk and it's fabulous ability to fly through very tight spaces at high speed when hunting, another about river otters and kingfisher's which I do miss seeing.

Some time this week, I plan to watch a documentary on a man known as 'Grey Owl'.

Archibald Belaney perpetrated one of the 20th Century's most convincing hoaxes. Known to the world as "Grey Owl," he convinced everyone that he was a Canadian-born first nations author. In this persona, he became one of Canada's most popular and famous personalities. Grey Owl's British origins came to light shortly after his death and the ensuing public outcry ignored his significant contributions as a conservationist. A generation after his death though, Grey Owl is remembered as an effective public champion of our natural heritage, and his writings still carry an important environmental message for today's world. Without Grey Owl's efforts and passion towards the wilderness, Canada may have lost a better part of its natural beauty. He helped create a legacy of awareness and protection for Canada's forests and wildlife.

Archibald Belaney was born in 1888 into an affluent British family in Hastings, England. His fascination with North America's aboriginals grew into an impressive understanding of all the aboriginal linguistic groups and their tribes. He left England for Canada at age 17 to become a trapper.

At Lake Temagami, Ontario, Archie was named "little owl" by Ojibwa friends for his powers of observation and his hunger to learn the native way of life. In 1915, he joined the Canadian Army and fought in France suffering injuries that would plague him for the rest of his life. On his return, Archie took on the personality of his alter ego "Grey Owl," the son of a Scot and an Apache.

In 1925, he celebrated his marriage to an Iroquois named Anahareo in traditional aboriginal fashion. Together they began fire-ranging and beaver trapping, however, the trapper's life was cruel and repugnant to Anahareo. She convinced Grey Owl to build beaver colonies instead of trapping them for trade. His transition to conservationism inspired him to preserve nature and wildlife through writing articles and books.

In 1931, Grey Owl became the "caretaker of park animals" at Riding Mountain National Park in Manitoba. Thousands viewed his passion for wildlife in his first film for the National Parks Service. Later that year he received rave reviews for his first book, The Men of the Last Frontier. He later wrote Pilgrims of the Wild, and a children's book titled Sajo and Her Beaver People.

Grey Owl's success led to his first lecture tour in England in 1936. Book sales were soaring and he wrote his fourth book, Tales of an Empty Cabin. However, his successful but exhausting tours took a toll on both his marriage and mental health. In 1936, Grey Owl left Anahareo and remarried. He later became ill after touring England, Canada, and the United States. He was immediately hospitalized but died just three days later on April 13, 1938.
https://www.historica-dominion.ca/content/heritage-minutes/grey-owl

Another one which has been highly recommended but I have yet to see is "My Life as a Turkey".
Biologist Joe Hutto was mother to the strangest family in the world, thirteen endangered wild turkeys that he raised from egg to the day they left home.

For a whole year his turkey children were his only companions as he walked them deep through the Florida Everglades. Suffering all the heartache and joy of any other parent as he tried to bring up his new family, he even learnt to speak their language and began to see the world through turkey eyes. Told as a drama documentary with an actor recreating the remarkable scenes of Joe's life as a turkey mum.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0133r58
 CharminC
Msg: 13
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 9:27:22 AM
Import, not sure if you are aware but there is a movie based on Grey Owl played by Pierce Brosnan! His life truly is a fascinating story
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128239/

The Big Fix (found on Netflix) is the last documentary I've watched. It's all about the oil spill off the coast of Lousiana, how the oil and the chemical used to "clean it up" is affecting the people there. Can't give it away but something happens to the filmmaker's wife while there! Very eye-opening in regards to our world, politics and the big oil companies. BP in particular.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 14
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 12:10:40 PM

Import, not sure if you are aware but there is a movie based on Grey Owl played by Pierce Brosnan! His life truly is a fascinating story
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0128239/

No, I didn't know that. Might have to check that out. Since Pierce is in it, it would seem rude not to.
 MrShoesnchocolate
Msg: 15
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 12:22:08 PM
" Alone in the Wilderness " about a man, Richard Proenneke , who lived in a remote part of Alaska ( twin lakes ) for 30 years !

Remarkable in a live vicariously through him kind of way .

And " Super Size Me " - DEFINITELY a live vicariously through Spurlock, as he says in the beginning " I'm about to embark on every 8 yr old's fantasy " . I don't know why he had to complete the whole 30 days when the dr's told him to stop, he'd made his point by then.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 16
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 1:34:04 PM

And " Super Size Me " - DEFINITELY a live vicariously through Spurlock,...

If you like Spurlock you enjoy:

Mansome
Director: Morgan Spurlock
Cast: Will Arnett, Morgan Spurlock, Jason Bateman, Zach Galifianakis

In the age of manscaping, metrosexuals, and grooming products galore - what does it mean to be a man? Oscar nominee Morgan Spurlock and executive producers Ben Silverman, Will Arnett, and Jason Bateman present a delightfully entertaining doc featuring candid interviews from Will Arnett, Jason Bateman, Paul Rudd, Zach Galifianakis, and everyday people weighing in on everything from the obsession with facial hair to body dysmorphic disorder.

On a related note of grooming, this film provides a look into a culture that many white males do not know exists:

Good Hair
Director: Jeff Stilson
Cast: Chris Rock

Director Jeff Stilson follows Chris Rock on this raucous adventure prompted by Rock's daughter approaching him and asking, "Daddy, how come I don't have good hair?" An exposé of comic proportions that only Chris Rock could pull off, GOOD HAIR visits beauty salons and hairstyling battles, scientific laboratories and Indian temples to explore the way hairstyles impact the activities, pocketbooks, sexual relationships, and self-esteem of the black community.

If you want to learn about one of the greatest accomplishments that was never talked about, you need to watch:

Man on Wire
On August 7, 1974, A young Frenchman named Philippe Petit stepped out on a wire illegally rigged between the World Trade Center's twin towers in New York. After dancing for nearly an hour on the wire, he was arrested, taken for psychological evaluation, and brought to jail before he was finally released. This documentary incorporates Petit's footage to show the numerous extraordinary challenges he faced in completing the artistic crime of the century.
 SemiCharmedBrooke
Msg: 17
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 2:37:15 PM
WOW! Lots of responses, and so many titles I haven't heard of! I usually browse documentary sites and pick a few. Many of these sound very interesting, thanks :)
 SAguy_06
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 2:51:37 PM
"Louie Bluie" (1985). One of best American stories ever told.

Here a clip of Louie playing 'Craklin Hen"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qv9HEc2-EE

If the link does not work, type Louie Bluie in Bing's video search.

Extended parts [1-5] can be watched via YouTube.
 pescando75
Msg: 19
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 2:52:53 PM
Only one I can think of offhand (and perhaps the most recent:)
"Who killed the electric car?"

Saw it a few years ago as the "green" rally calls were being made. Quite the ironic context to then view it from having seen that documentary.
 five-marie
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 6:05:06 PM
Sorry I don't recall the title. My favorite was about Monsanto and how they've affected our food. Quite scary how much power they have, how they can financially ruin a farmer who refuses to do things their way. Definately worth watching.
 matchlight
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/5/2013 8:19:50 PM
Ken Burns' series on the Civil War kicked my interest in it into high gear, and I've read quite a lot about it since then. That theme song, "Ashokan Farewell," is modern, but the writer made it sound plain, old, American, wistful, and very beautiful.
 torgo70
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/7/2013 6:16:17 AM
Film themed docus:

American Movie
The Best Worst Movie (about Troll 2)
Demon Lover Diary (about the making of the 1977 low budget flick The Demon Lover, better than the movie itself)
Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!
Machete Maidens Unleashed!
American Grindhouse
Spine Tingler! The William Castle Story
This Film Is Not Yet Rated
Reel Injun (about the portrayal of Native Americans in film)
Blood, Boobs & Beast (about B movie director Don Dohler)
The People VS George Lucas
Trekkies

Artist themed:

Crumb
Frazetta: Painting with Fire

Others:

Vernon, Florida
Gates of Heaven
Grey Gardens
The Century Plaza
Brother's Keeper
Super Size Me
 mr_random_irish
Msg: 23
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/7/2013 11:38:20 AM
i thought freakenomics was amazing
 allthegoodnamesrtaken1
Msg: 24
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/7/2013 12:24:33 PM
Food Inc ::
 five-marie
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Favorite documentary?
Posted: 2/7/2013 2:19:45 PM
Thank you plursty, it was Food Inc.
Not sure if it was a documentary but I also watched a program about rats. I was shocked how intelligent they are. Very interesting.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Favorite documentary?