Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Indigo Children coming of age      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RussArtLover
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Indigo Children coming of agePage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
1. Can we really be seeing human evolution in kids today?
2. Are these kids smarter than we were at their age?
3. How come a lot of our children today seem to be "system busters"?
4. Why are so many of our brightest kids being diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)?

A few years ago this was a topic shrouded in mysticism and hype. The good points IMHO were evolutionary leap and warnings about them suiciding. Now they would be reaching adulthood. One friend suggested they would all become Neo-Nazis. I dread Googling it. Any first hand experience?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Indigo Children coming of age
Posted: 2/8/2013 1:39:45 AM
Not sure what exactly you are referring to, but my immediate guess is that you have been conflating media hype "news stories" from grocery store tabloids, with actual scientific studies that are further mis-reported.

I can tell you that the modern "news" media has shackled itself to an approach based upon a limited set of standardized, pre-cut story plots, to use to report ANYTHING that happens. That means, that when a child does something interesting enough to talk about, they don't carefully research the situation and report the facts with a freshly thought out perspective; they decide how to categorize the kid, and then garnish the dish they serve him up in with whichever little facts they do find, that fit the preconceptions.

They then bounce stories off each other, like a small club of people playing table tennis, until the mutually supporting stories start to look like a "trend." Then they switch over to the "standardized story plot" drawer labeled "Frightening trends," and cut and paste the facts to garnish one of THOSE hackneyed ideas.

Viola! Instant "Evolution."
 LennyPane
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 2:22:30 AM
Idk what you're getting at, but your fourth question can be answered very simply. It is because the definition of the 'disorder' has been broadened intentionally to have the potential to diagnose a lot more kids. More diagnosis = more prescribed medication = more money in Doctors' pockets from the pharmaceutical companies.
 for4rums_loner_here
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/8/2013 4:28:09 AM
1. Which aspect of evolution do you mean:
1.1. mutations, or
1.2. survival of fittest, that is, selection
which translates into a population different from their parents?

I think 1.1. is happening, and I can't tell you if this is leading to diversification or a lot of kids mutate the same way in unison. A lot of research involving large numbers of observed individuals needs to go into this if you want a correct answer, even if the answer is to be "no", as much as it is to be "yes".

2. Again, a large-scale IQ testing can tell you this, inasmuch as IQ tests can test smartness. Failing that, you can only speculate on this, and speculation will not give you an answer when you talk about a phenomenon that can only be decided by measurements taken.

4, There are a lot, and I mean, an overwhelmingly larger amounts of kids with attention deficits diagnosed today, than back 50 years ago when I started to show signs of it. This is so because we have diagnostic tools, and because we have an interest as a social unit,to identify and establish which kids have this syndrome. Back in my day there was nobody who was given this diagnosis, because the diagnosis did not exist, and the tools did not exist to establish it, either.

These might be the reasons why ADD and its sister diseases are more prevalent to the naked eye these days: we know what it is, how to measure it, and even that it exists in the first place.
 for4rums_loner_here
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/8/2013 4:40:55 AM
If any studies verify that our kids are smarter and less focussed than we were, a generation older than then, then this could probably be explained by either one or the other part of evolutionary mechanisms in place.

However, we are nowhere near establishing either that kids are smarter or they are less capable of focussing. This is where the media comes in and makes people believe that yes, we already have established that, and we are now to worry about this. The main function and aim of media is to make people worry. As much now as any time in history. We worry about gun violence and the economy and the Earth warming up; we worried about gas running out; we worried about a nuclear holocaust; we worried about the proliferation of Jews in our socially dominant strata of societies, and others worried about people who worried about that. We worried about the second coming of Christ. We worried how to put food on our table, and much before that, we worried about how to please god. We worried about sins. We worried about doing the right thing and worried about what actually the right thing was. The medium at the time was faith.

So media tells a lot of people what to worry about, and as long as the people are worried, the media is happy, because it can sell its products.

Critical thinkers who advocate that there is nothing to worry about, is what the minds who run media are worried about.

In fact, I have no clue why worry is so necessary to live life, but it seems it is on everyone's agenda to put worry into the lives of others. It has to do with motivation, I guess, to create an advantageous environment (social, physical, financial) for those who are able to motivate others to do their bidding through making them worried.

----------------

If, and it is a big if, we can establish that selection and uniform DNA changes are to blame for the actually proved (if) social changes and response reactions by individuals in our species, then the worry is off, inasmuch as DNA can't be changed; we need to worry about how to integrate these people who can't listen or sit still into a life that makes it absolutely necessary that everyone be seated and not fidget.
 for4rums_loner_here
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/8/2013 4:51:46 AM
"""""""""""""
The good points IMHO were evolutionary leap and warnings about them suiciding. Now they would be reaching adulthood. One friend suggested they would all become Neo-Nazis. I dread Googling it. Any first hand experience?
"""""""""""""

Kids are not becoming neo-Nazis. In fact, they are becoming vegisexauls, and dog semen eaters. They get high on eating marshmallow cookies, which is only possible because their DNA reformation made it possible to get high on a substance called Marshmellouoisuoicious.

The reason we are still alive, older folks, is because kids don't have the staying power to focus on one thought. They get up each morning, get their guns out to come down to breakfast to eliminate us all, when they get an email about the feature of a computer game, and the entire plan goes up in smoke, so to speak, coz nobody smokes any more. Kids lose focus, and there will be a lot, and I mean a lot, of recycled metal of handguns when the global revolution will be finally over.

Some kids are into space exploration, too, because their small bodies make it fiscally more profitable to be shot up into space, over my dead body, which is three times the weight of two kids together. Most kids don't even bother to come back, back to earth -- they are incarnations, that is, embodified examples, of Jimi Hendrix's biggest ideal. "I have a dream", said Hendrix, "and that is to have a piece of purple sky in every kid's life, a haze that will sustain them in their existential struggles to rid their lives of having to bitterly fight against illegal drugs, inasmuch as we want to legalize them all."
 RussArtLover
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2013 5:08:35 AM
I can see A.D.D. being misdiagnosed if an intuitive kid won't pay attention to someone trying to teach him something he's already intuited as a falsehood, or believes the teacher doesn't really know, just quoting from memory. That wouldn't necessarily indicate a major leap in IQ but it could. An easy solution would be to retest the kid by someone who thoroughly understands the criteria the kid finds amusing.

There are certainly a lot of young people uncovering loopholes in religion.

The dumbing down of Americans is more likely the cover up so TV producers can get away with a wider range of programming to meet changing budgets. We've all heard argued that 500 years ago average IQs were higher but maybe more likely just less was there to be learned, easier to keep up. No drivers license to renew, no credit history.
 for4rums_loner_here
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/8/2013 6:38:48 AM
""""""""""""
There are certainly a lot of young people uncovering loopholes in religion.
""""""""""""

Okay, now I believe that kids of today are smarter than our own grandfathers.

Because it took Grucho Marx a lifetime before it would dawn on him that he seriously needs to look for such loopholes. Our next generation, two down from me, figured out not only that the need itself exists, but they found the solution to satisfy that need.

Good for them.

Kudos, kids!! Sudokus!! Pseudo-kids!!
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/8/2013 7:54:35 AM

1. Can we really be seeing human evolution in kids today?

Only if you could also look back (10,000 years or so) in time to compare.

2. Are these kids smarter than we were at their age?

That is impossible to say, but generally on an evolutionary standpoint, they should have more knowledge.

3. How come a lot of our children today seem to be "system busters"?

Because they grew up with those systems, in the same way earlier generations exploited the technology they grew up with, like phone hackers etc....

4. Why are so many of our brightest kids being diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)?

Because there is big money in diagnosing people.
 Ochema
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/8/2013 11:10:48 PM
I watch all the commercials on t.v at the end of a long day, and it dawns on me, this is the twilight zone.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/11/2013 6:08:12 PM
I think we are seeing two things coming about in our children.

One, is the effects of ever present toxicity.
In our food, air, water....everything.
Our young grow up in a stew of chemical foulness.

Two....the need for most people to sit at desks for long hours is a recent thing.
In times past very few did that.
And only because they had to.
Like monks in the middle ages.
In a monastery full of monks....only a few
could sit still long enuff to be useful scribes.
The rest..the vast majority.... were given other tasks.

ADD and AHD may be normal and useful traits
that most people have had from time immemorial.
Probably a favored trait for survival in a rough and tumble world.

But in modern....sedentary...times...
a problematic trait.
To be scorned and medicated.

Maybe the millennials can construct a society truly in harmony
with normal human behavior.
Instead of what evolved in the last century.
And still plagues us today.
Which is the need to fit humans into an artificial society designed only for efficiency.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2013 8:52:42 PM
Good perspective. I think kids use to be expected to be more intuitive. Give em an inch, they take a mile. Now that can be harnessed with a pill. More or less neutering they're high functions so they grow up to be good drones. Pass. Hell I don't remember how many times I'd just walk in a room and some wacko kid would chill and start acting smart. I'm sure there are extreme cases, where pills would at least tone it down. I remember one kid that would chill for awhile, then start throwing things. Hit me in the face with a Tonka truck. I'd medicate that one.
 lookingforsophia
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2013 11:18:19 AM
I once heard it said that 'The job of each generation is to p...off the previous generation.'

Possibly explained by Freudian Ego development theories.

IMHO, purple Mohawks are jest a new tactic. Their kids will probably favor Trump hairdoos and join fraternities.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 5:29:53 AM
A virtual world might be a good place for bright kids to blend in. Hang out with adults and get some good feedback. There is an online game of sorts, wouldn't really call it a game. You create your animated character then go about living in a modernized society. I'll have to look it up but you can fly in it. Always looked interesting but never had time for it.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/21/2013 5:28:27 PM
IMHO, purple Mohawks are jest a new tactic. Their kids will probably favor Trump hairdoos and join fraternities.

Purple mohawks were a new tactic in the 80's when they were most popular.

Message: A virtual world might be a good place for bright kids to blend in. Hang out with adults and get some good feedback. There is an online game of sorts, wouldn't really call it a game. You create your animated character then go about living in a modernized society. I'll have to look it up but you can fly in it. Always looked interesting but never had time for it.

Online irtual worlds are the worst place imaginable to do such a thing. Anonimity + Audience = a recipe for disaster.

The game you're talking about is The Sims, I believe. A really enjoyable game, but ultimately unrealistic. (Kind of like most things discussed so far in this thread)

Indigo children is just a term used by parents to excuse their dysfunctional kids.

http://skepdic.com/indigo.html

This.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2013 9:03:21 PM
Well I could write a more skeptical view of the metaphysics behind the pseudonym but the few young people I call friend in real life are a far cry from the guys I knew when I was they're peer, circa 1974. We had some bright fellas but not like this. These guys don't suffer fools for a blink. Can't. They can barely stand me :)
 RussArtLover
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 6:07:59 AM

Learning to press a few pre-programmed buttons do not make them smarter.

We're all button pushers. That's a given. The interaction with the "best" players we might compare to dinner with the mayor. Transient sure, yet a significant feather in the cap of a newbie.

a Lehigh University student sued the university for her C+ grade, and the court ruled in favor of the university. Is this the sign of smartness of new generation? Can you imagine what would have followed if the court ruled against the university? The court saved our education system, whatever left, and the court system.

Definitely an indication of system busting but a likely indication the child was over medicated or brainwashed for a time at a younger age. Now unharnessed and uncivilized the indigo adult is attacking the abstract it blames for it. Of course the court ruled against it. Shame the court even tried it, it should have been differed to a mental hearing.

I believe indigos have been around for ages yes. The kind hearted ones probably created certain of the older religions, such as druidry. I believe they could easily be the people that talk to animals. (intuit them and invent gestures on the fly)
 Petraeus
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:08:38 AM
The truth is, our technological evolution has surpassed our biological evolution by a magnitude in the order of thousands.

Yet we are still stuck in our old meaty, h2o loving, feces excreting bodies, which are on their own trying to evolve under a different set of rules.

A generation ago there was no such thing as the personal computer, or the internet, or wireless 4g/lte enabling a child to be perma-connected not only socially to their friends, but to the sum of all human knowledge (the internet). It was still mostly survival of the fittest. If you family had 10 kids and all were boys who could work the mines your family would statistically be better off.

I'm not sure what my point is, but its in there somewhere.
 Luthion
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:43:52 PM
1 @ 2 , that is not how evolution works. One generation doesn't just happen to suddenly have an evolved traits over the last. It's a long, drawn out, solely progressive process over 100s of thousands of years.

3, We live in a different environment to the last generation. Human beings are naturally brilliant at adapting to changes in the intellectual and psychological environment of the world. The older generation can't adapt as well, while the newer one feels more at home in the current environment of the world.

4. ADD is a universally over diagnosed condition for people who simply have poor attention spans.

This Indigo Child stuff is nothing by bogus hype conceieved by hacks.
 Luthion
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 3:54:19 AM
Having a greater understanding of things just means you are a person of high intelligence. There are countless millions of people who fit into that criteria. It doesn't make you some sort of super-special, cosmically divine "Indigo Child". It was a buzzword invented by a bunch of self-help hacks in the 80s to promote their book, nothing more.

Simply by reading a short hand list of criteria for what is defined as an "Indigo Child" I would be eligible to be described as one. Suffice to say, I'm not that conceited.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2013 4:58:19 PM
I'm still concerned that most Indigos are born poor and suicide before they reach 25. That much intellect applied to hopelessness and utter lack of intimate practical education would be worse than crucifixion. Outreach does seem to have improved over the last 20 years though. Enough that perhaps they are blending in better.
 Luthion
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2013 9:55:00 PM
They've never been born, full stop. The whole thing has already been debunked. Some guy made up the phrase in a book, and a niche group ran with it. There is no scientific basis or empirical evidence for the concept. If is a money making scam.

It seems like people in this forum have absolutely no interest in basic facts...
 Rheostatic
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/10/2013 12:48:17 AM

I'm still concerned that most Indigos are born poor and suicide before they reach 25

Source, please.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2013 2:16:16 PM
Source for Indigos suiciding? Was MSN forums in the late 1990s that first got my attention.

The term Indigos was made up, sure. All terms are made up, to delineate something. In this case a leap in IQ among a rather high percentage of the grand children of the baby boom. The best laymens definition I've heard for IQ is an ability to solve complex questions with less data up front. Get one person to read 5 good books on a subject they learn X amount and figure out nothing from it. Get another to read a pamplet and he figures out a way to make free clean energy.

But only expose them to mystical BS and exploitation and greed and no escape, well that much brain power could figure out a way to suicide pretty easily.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Indigo Children coming of age