Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > IF there was a Garden of Eden, where would it have existed?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Solomonlike
Msg: 1
IF there was a Garden of Eden, where would it have existed?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
This is NOT a topic to prove or disprove religious belief. This is a HYPOTHETICAL question based upon the ideas of creation, evolution, archeology, anthropology and history. IF there was a Garden of Eden, approximately where would it have been?"
Let me start with the Biblical verse (Genesis 2-3); Now a river flowed out of Eden to water the garden; and from there it divided and became four rivers. The name of the first is Pishon; it flows around the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold.[...] The name of the second river is Gihon; it flows around the whole land of Cush. The name of the third river is Tigris; it flows east of Assyria And the fourth river is the Euphrates."

Rivers dry up, this is fact. Airial views of the entire region(Iraq,Iran, Saudi Arabian Peninsula, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Somalia,Lebanon, Syria) show clearly that there are many "fossil rivers" . Most Geologist and archeologist agree that not only in continental shift but that East Africa, Saudi Arabian peninsula and India were once connected like a puzzle.
Anthropological evidence has long suggest that mankind was monphylectic.
1)Pishon; it flows around the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold.According to I Sam. xv. 7,Saul defeated the Amalekites from Havilah to Shur (the region of the "wall"), "over against Egypt"; the Ishmaelites are also placed in the same locality.
Genesis 25:18, defines the territory inhabited by the Ishmaelites as being "from Havilah to Shur, opposite Egypt in the direction of Assur(Assyria)"

2)Gihon, which "compasseth the whole land of Cush(Ethiopia?),"Cush has long been considered Ethiopia or the region.
3)we know where the Tigris and Euraphrates are today or rivers of that name which have stuck from very ancient times.
This all seems to point to anyplace from near the Gulf of Aden/Red Sea.

Anthropologists have suggested that mankind arose from East Africa. The earliest civilizations as we know as of today were the Nile Valley and Mesopotamia...and possibly Indian(Mohenjo -Daro, Harapa).

My theories are that IF there was a Garden of Eden, it's location would very possibly have been where the Red Sea/Gulf of Aden are or where the Indian Ocean meets the Arabian sea. This is the area geologist, paleontologist and archeologist refer to as Gondwana," Gondwana" according to Paleontologist was a huge land mass which consisted of modern Africa,Saudi Arabian Peninsula and India. The Red Sea and East African rifts are according to them examples of the continuing dismemberment of those land masses.
I wouldn't pick a country....I'd say...now UNDER the Gulf/Sea/Ocean waters. The island of Socotra is an example of the tiny islands that are a result of land masses breaking from the continents. It has dried up yet shows that it once was a lush area. It still has flora and fauna found no place else. It is considered a the jewel of biodiversity in the Arabian Sea.
Of course, it could have been someplace on the Saudi Arabian peninsula near the Red Sea that has obviously dried up and vanished. I lean towards the sea.
What is clear is that most Evolutionist, Anthropologists and Creationist would agree that the area of what is referred to as Gondwana which merged Africa,Saudi Arabian Peninsula and India is where man began.

Please do not make this into some topic of extreme controversy of science vs. religion or vice versa. The question is simple and harmless yet rather thought provoking considering most scientist agree that man is monophyletic.Comparative anatomy pronounces clearly in favor of the monophyletic origin of man. This does NOTHING to disprove evolution nor creation nor to prove either. Thus the question is hypothetical. IF the/a Garden Of Eden existed.....WHERE?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
IF there was a Garden of Eden, where would it have existed?
Posted: 2/10/2013 6:31:41 PM
http://www.ldolphin.org/eden/

I like that theory.^^^
 privat33r
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2013 7:08:35 PM
I hate to agree but Arabia makes sense. The southern and eastern areas were green then. There were wild fruit trees. Wadi's used to be rivers, now they're dry gulches. Africa and Egypt were not populated by Abrahamic peoples. In that time there were several sects that predated Jews, Muslims, Samaratins, Coptics, Christians.- all these modern religions derived from those. Cultural anthropoligist and apologists can likely look back to find how long it takes for a legend to take root across a people after the event, and then how long it takes before that develops into written and codified gospels. Look to find where those people lived, used radar to reveal there towns below the desert sands.

Near the end of the last ice the Hadley cell migrated south and dried out Arabia, this brought a bunch of other weather changes. There were subglacial outbursts from vast continental ice sheets. Sea level fluctuated dramatically. Huge fires roared across northern African and Arabia, drawing static fire tornados through roiling Von Karman vortex sheets 100's of miles in extent. The Flood may have been a glacial outburst from the Balkans, The Burning Bush a fire tornado in Mauratania that created the Eye of Africa, Lost Eden the wadi's of southern Arabia, the parting of the Red sea --- just the lack of a path across when there used to be one.

Lots is fable. Mysteries are not made better by patching together nonsense. It is tempting. The authors of the gospels were not trying to report on the climate - these are dramatic fables enhanced to embelish messages, like comics books can teach people science gospels transfer a culture. The climate change history wasn't the intent- it was the other part they were trying to tell us about. I mean, the message in the Flood is not about how piping through the edges of ice sheets can release vast quantities of water and flood plains - rather its that mankind has a responsibility to animals, adversity can be overcome through preparation and pair groups create families in the animal kingdom just as with mankind. Dudes thought that was important to tell because lots of cultures didn't know sex leads to children or that cultures should prepare for disasters. There are cultures in our modern world that don't know that.

There's a message in the story of the garden of Eden. It uses the setting of the garden, that's quite seperate from the disputable fact about whether the gospel refers to a specific place.
 PirateJohn09
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/10/2013 7:32:21 PM
It says in the bible that it is where the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers meet. So, basically, it would have been in what its now Iraq.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/10/2013 8:00:55 PM
I've read Zarin's theory before. It is very interesting and reflective of years of work however I believe it focuses far too much on the Mesopotamian/Sumerian side of the equation. The reasoning he gives for focusing on Sumer is actually quite weak. The link of Kush to Kashshu also is quite weak from linguistic, Biblical and other historical reasons. It seems that he was so perplexed by the references to Egypt and Kush that he decided to circumvent it by supposing the names were mixed up. This is NOT about translation since the Hebrew itself seems to dismiss his rationale. I'd say he is most likely north east of such a place. I also think his timeline is off.
Also the article makes a statement about the transition of Neanderthal to modern man being in the Eastern Mediterranean. However most evidence suggests that either Neanderthal was actually a type of modern man or was absorbed in the gene pool because of evidence of fossils that have features previously thought to distinguish 1 from the other. It is most widely believed by anthropologists and archeologists that modern man came out of Africa. This would suggest that Zarin's theory based largely upon his focus on Sumerian folklore to circumvent the passages that suggest a more western location is very possibly, very flawed.
I'd look at the Indian Ocean/Arabian sea as a more likely location....or the Red Sea/Gulf of Aden/Indian Ocean...if under water.
The Saudi Arabian peninsula southwest of Assur or even UR and Sumer for that matter would seem to be a much more accurate location if a location existed and is now deserted and in the sand. OF course, then there is Modern day Eritrea and/or Yemen.....both are less likely but somewhere under the sea between them is a real possibility.

Scientifically speaking....the closer to the southern Red Sea/Gulf of Aden/Indian Ocean you get, the closer to the dawn of man and his dispersal...or "Garden of Eden".
 Solomonlike
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/10/2013 8:36:54 PM

It says in the bible that it is where the Tigris and Euphrates Rivers meet. So, basically, it would have been in what its now Iraq.
Not exactly, thanks for reading the posts.

Unfortunately modern satellite reconnaissance and the field of satellite remote sensing archaeology is still in its infancy. At the moment, even the most cutting-edge practitioners are using borrowed excessively expensive technology which still is very limited and limiting. The resolutions, both spatial and spectral need to improve considerably and likely will still.....best for capturing images on land under heavy foliage than under water....or deep under desert sands at this time.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/11/2013 10:15:15 AM
There is no question that topography has changed. Please do not frame this question in purely Judeao-Christian-Islamic creation terms(in fact the story(or very similar) is shared by many including pre dynasticThebeian/Egyptian and Sumerian to name a couple) but simply using it as the backdrop to the question or puzzle contained there in.

This is a HYPOTHETICAL question based upon the ideas of creation, evolution, archeology, anthropology and history. IF there was a Garden of Eden, approximately where would it have been?"

1st river- Pishon which" flows around the whole land of Havilah" -Havilah appears to be a part of the Saudi Arabian peninsula.

2nd river Gihon appears to indicate that it encompased a large part of the Afar triangle(Kush/Cush/Gush.

3rd and 4th Rivers are known by name although their actual directions may have changed, they exist in name and likely at least in part actual physical modern remnants.

The rivers flowed from a single river that flowed EAST of Eden. I think it logical to look west of the modern Euphrates and Tigris....in fact I'd suggest southwest.

We know of 1 great river that flows in what appears today to be an opposite direction....south to north. Perhaps the river that flowed out of Eden also flowed south to north. If so, the 4 rivers that sprang from it would have been northeast of it. That portion of the world has many things that appear to be clues. We know that land mass that connected Saudi Arabian peninsula, the Afar Triangle and the Indian subcontinent is now presumably under the waters. There is little question that these places were once connected. Most scientist would say this is in fact a fact.

Most scientist believe that based upon anthropological and archeological findings at this point, modern man came out of the Afar Triangle or very near it.

My perspective as I've posted earlier is that Eden itself likely was somewhere far southwest of the modern Tigris Euphrates. The 1st 2 rivers now extinct possibly helped the split of the Afar Triangle, Saudi Arabian Peninsula and India.

Basically I have 2 theories, either the site of Eden would be southwest of modern Tigris/Euphrates somewhere in what is now the Indian Ocean/Arabian Sea...or Red Sea/Gulf of Aden/Indian Ocean.

Another theory I have is that it is NORTH of my Indian Ocean/Arabian sea theory...substantially north....like the modern day Mediterranean very close to modern southern Israel/Palestine/Gaza. It seems to fit the Talmudic/Biblical/Quranic criteria. It also would fit recent anthropological, archeological, geological findings suggesting that perhaps modern man came from there. If a great river flowed from a location near Israel/Gaza Mediterranean coast into 4 rivers that lead into that part of the northeastern part of Gondwana.

I lean towards the Southern theory because it is one least investigated yet has the most scientific evidence of the dawn of man being in that region.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2013 9:00:29 PM
Funny no one has mentioned South Africa. If we barrow from evolution / archaeology tracking mankind backward don't we find a starting point in that area? I know it's a stretch for the flood to have carried Noah so far north but fits to some degree. Especially if Noah was a black fella with a white wife, hence Cane and Able? :)
 _shakti_
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/11/2013 9:49:07 PM
To me it's a metaphor for how life was before man first conceived of himself as being separate from God.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/11/2013 11:55:13 PM
You have an interesting perspective however, even though recent finds place a lost civilization or most certainly a very highly advanced culture in Southern Africa around 4000yrs ago if not before, South Africa simply does not fit this discussion. This discussion is not about the story flood(I have no idea why that is not clear from the thread's question). It is about Original man...aka Adam's home or the birthplace of Original modern man from a perspective that combines anthropology, archeology, geography and history with the Biblical account of the dawn of modern man.

Especially if Noah was a black fella :)

Neither of those terms "black" nor "white" are scientific nor Biblical for that matter in assignment of terms for people. What is a "black fella"? We must get outside of the brainwashing that places foolish labels on humans using a system proven faulty and rife of bias in it's authors. Morphologically speaking(stripped of labels or nationality and certainly the label of "race"), "Noah" most likely would be considered "a black fella". Most certainly if he showed up in Montgomery, AL.,U.S.A., in 1955 and tried to sit at the front of the bus he would have been promptly sent to the back or arrested if not beaten...or both...or worse. "Noah" having shown up on the shores of Cape Town, South Africa would have been promptly jailed, beaten or sent to the "coloured" section of town. Noah most likely had a morphology very similar to that of Sultan Qaboos bin Said Al Said, Sultan or King of Oman....or perhaps golfer Vijah Sign. ...or darker.

Adam aka original mankind most likely had morphology similar to the following heads of state-President of Mali; Alpha Oumar Konaré; Priminister Gordon Darcy Liloof the Solomon Islands ; South Sudan president Salva Kiir Mayardit; Prime Minister Somare of Papua New Guinea; Former Egyptian president Anwar al Sadat...more precisely when I look at Aboriginal or rather Indigenous Australians I think "Adam and Eve" morphology.

I see that you edited and added this -"with a white wife, hence Cane and Able?"
Again, what is "white"? Human diversity occurred long before the peopling of modern Europe. More importantly, what does any of this have to do with the story of Cain and Able? To think that they would have been antagonistic against each other due in any part to melanin is more than just far fetched. It superimposes the absurdities of social bias of today to the most ancient times. Still, this is not a discussion of "the flood" nor Biblical stories or even stories in general. This is a discussion(scientifically meeting a Biblical story) rather clearly defined about original man's (aka Adam's)birthplace or both the dawn of man and his birthplace("Eden") since the two are interconnected.

Basically I have 2 theories, either the site of Eden would be southwest of modern Tigris/Euphrates somewhere in what is now the Indian Ocean/Arabian Sea...or Red Sea/Gulf of Aden/Indian Ocean.

Another theory I have is that it is NORTH of my Indian Ocean/Arabian sea theory...substantially north....like the modern day Mediterranean very close to modern southern Israel/Palestine/Gaza. It seems to fit the Talmudic/Biblical/Quranic criteria. It also would fit recent anthropological, archeological, geological findings suggesting that perhaps modern man came from there. If a great river flowed from a location near Israel/Gaza Mediterranean coast into 4 rivers that lead into that part of the northeastern part of Gondwana.

I lean towards the Southern theory because it is one least investigated yet has the most scientific evidence of the dawn of man being in that region.
 matchlight
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2013 8:58:02 AM

My theories are that IF there was a Garden of Eden, it's location would very possibly have been where the Red Sea/Gulf of Aden are or where the Indian Ocean meets the Arabian sea. This is the area geologist, paleontologist and archeologist refer to as Gondwana," Gondwana" according to Paleontologist was a huge land mass which consisted of modern Africa,Saudi Arabian Peninsula and India.

I don't see how legends described in the Bible could recall events that far back. The continental drift you're talking about took place millions of years ago, which raises the question who would have been around to tell about ancient watercourses or anything else that drift influenced. Climate has changed a lot while people were in the region you're talking about, but recently enough that the continents were more or less as they are now.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/13/2013 10:37:18 AM
This is NOT a topic to prove or disprove religious belief. This is a HYPOTHETICAL question based upon the ideas of creation, evolution, archeology, anthropology and history. IF there was a Garden of Eden, approximately where would it have been?"

That was the question of this thread. WHY is it so difficult for some to actually think in terms of the question itself instead of going off into discussions of "the flood" or Bible vs archeology? Is it really that hard? The question is about the birthplace of modern man.

<div class="quote">I don't see how legends described in the Bible could recall events that far back.
There is a very very very long tradition of tradition keeping through verbal communication that goes back before the advent of writing. as long as man has had memory it would be very very short sighted and narrow minded to discount the ability to translate events accurately or generally through this tradition. When the continents split no one can be certain of. Theories abound. Now the question is about the birthplace of modern man...is it not possible that modern man could shed light on this?

<div class="quote">..if the garden of Eden and Noah guy came from the same place
They are not! HELLO! Oye Vey!

Where are the POFers who are actually into history? Anthropology? Archeology? Biblical scholarship? Geography? This thread started with a couple of interesting perspectives that actually were on topic then went into ""science" vs "Bible" "feelings".
This is simply about an account of the birthplace of modern man. This is a HYPOTHETICAL question based upon the ideas of creation, evolution, archeology, anthropology and history.
Noah, the flood, ice nor glacier ages have NOTHING to do with this.
 matchlight
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2013 11:22:55 AM

When the continents split no one can be certain of.

Continental drift is a gradual process, so there is no certain time when they split. But the theory of plate tectonics is supported by evidence that's a lot more precise than you imply. And that evidence shows the sort of movements you're talking about took place tens of millions of years ago. We know Gondwana began to break up about 180 million years ago, that Africa and South America began to separate about 40 million years after that, that the collision of India with Eurasia which formed the Himalayas took place about 50 million years ago, and so on.

All that was long before men existed. It's true that the opening of the southern part of the Red Sea is more recent, starting about 3 or 4 million years ago. But even that is so far back it's hard to imagine that any people could have noted geographic changes associated with it, or that their accounts could have been reflected in documents written millions of years later.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/13/2013 11:29:40 AM
We "know" two things about the garden of eden (1.) there were apples and (2.) the climate was quite temperate given the "light" clothing of the natives

Those two facts added to the fact that apples originated in Western Asia, indicates that the garden of eden must have been in one of the Western Asian regions with moderate climate. This also indicates that A&E had slanted eyes. Judging by the big hoopla made out of eating one apple there, it seems all apples produced in the region are strictly meant for export.

Any other conclusion is pure speculation... (LOL)
 Solomonlike
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/13/2013 8:27:57 PM
Continental drift is a gradual process, so there is no certain time when they split. But the theory of plate tectonics is supported by evidence that's a lot more precise than you imply

The theory of plate tectonic just that is theory. The variables within that are greater than you imply. I totally get your point that IF what is widely believed is in fact accurate it would be amazing that anyone could with pass that knowledge down. However, it is very possible that the time lines are very much off due to a variety of factors. It is also possible that regardless stories have endured throughout time. Which actually brings us back to the original question. From where did modern man emerge.

"What's the point?"
Debate-a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints
 lyingcheat
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2013 6:46:03 AM

The theory of plate tectonic just that is theory.

A well supported one. Quite unlike the nominal topic of the thread.

http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/dynamic/dynamic.html
http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/dynamic/historical.html
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/geology/tectonics.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plate_tectonics

I totally get your point that IF what is widely believed is in fact accurate it would be amazing that anyone could with pass that knowledge down.

It certainly would be amazing. Considering the timeline n'all.

However, it is very possible that the time lines are very much off due to a variety of factors.

What 'factors'?
 Dokkodo
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/14/2013 9:47:16 AM
It's underwater with Atlantis!
 letseeiftheresamatch
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/14/2013 6:13:02 PM
it existed in the mind.
 Sir_Johny
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/15/2013 5:33:05 PM
Look at this site, this has some pretty good arguments http://www.kjvbible.org/rivers_of_the_garden_of_eden.html
 Solomonlike
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/20/2013 3:16:18 PM
Actually the later 2 theories are excellent. Obviously, they both support my 2 theories as stated nonetheless it is very interesting to see other historians come to similar conclusions from different perspectives.
Note that this thread isn't simply about the Biblical account of the Garden Of Eden as much as the location of the dawn of humans.....homo sapiens. Long held was the out of Africa thought. Now there seems evidence that shows that it could actually have been African along the Great Rift or Palestine. Either way, scientist who long held beliefs of a polyphylectic or poly-genetic origin of man have now come to realize that the overwelming evidence in fact shows the origin of man to be monophylectic or monogenetic. Monogenisis is actually what the story is about. Amazing?
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/20/2013 5:47:00 PM
Missouri! Just ask the Mormons
 thomofurantia
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/22/2013 10:55:35 PM
There were two Gardens of Eden. The first was in what is now a submerged island spur in the eastern Mediterranean. There was an issue with the beings we now know as Adam and Eve and something went wrong with their Earth plan. They had to flee to a location just south of the confluence of the Tigris and the Euphrates rivers in what was later known as Mesopotamia, the location of the second garden.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/23/2013 11:31:02 AM
I'm sure there was eons of time in between (Out of Africa >>> Garden of Eden)

Interesting, scientist are not so sure of the time of Out of Africa when thinking in terms of the Garden of Eden outside of the context of preconceived notions of Biblical time frame. Scientist are not so sure of when Out Of Africa took place nor where in Africa it took place. The consensus for a long time was in the polygenetic origin of man. That line of thinking has proven to be too faulty and far less scientific than even creation.

Most scientist give the out of Africa trek of modern homo sapiens at 60,000-25,000 years ago. Although to many if not most geneticist the Garden of Eden took place somewhere near the Great African Rift Valley about 100,000 yrs ago.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/25/2013 1:28:54 AM

(Out of Africa >>> Garden of Eden) there would be not much of a link between those two events.

Actually there are major links. 1)The Biblical story is one of mono-genesis. Scientist have been scrambling for decades to show a polyphylectic or poly-genetic origin of man. Now, the weight of evidence shows that in fact it is highly likely that man's origin was mono-genetic.
2)The region describe coincides with the Out of Africa theory in being very close to the African Great Rift Valley....the area of the 2nd river-Gihon. Coincidence to describe an area of man's genesis that so closely coincides with the area from which the oldest human remains have been found? The links are major
 Happy_Gal_63
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 6:44:44 PM
It would seem to me using the word "IF" gives the context of what you are asking. The Garden of Eden is a construct of the mind. Although many would like to ascribe a place or event to where life began and events took place, it unlikely that one single place or point in time could represent the 'Garden of Eden'. As this is a religious term, we know that preceeding all religious texts, the history was all aural. Most people make mistakes communicating one on one - imagine over countless generations. (an interesting talk about how relgious texts was subject to changes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0zWbL8Uqfw&NR=1&feature=endscreen)

The ability split hairs on so many levels exists - i.e. Was it an evolution? If so when DID man come into being? They've researched the Denisovans and in the last year have found surprising results - who knows, maybe there are other humanoids that we still don't know about.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > IF there was a Garden of Eden, where would it have existed?