Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What women like to talk?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OutMind
Msg: 2
What women like to talk?Page 1 of 1    
Unless you are a great phone conversationalist, talking on the phone before you meet, spells disaster. Meet first, then talk on the phone all you want.

Also, ask questions.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 3
What women like to talk?
Posted: 2/13/2013 1:30:58 PM
Every woman is different. I find people fascinating and love art, jazz, hiking, exercise and books. I see the humor in life. If a man has an intelligent mind and quick wit, I'm delighted. We never run out of conversational topics.
 abmccray
Msg: 5
view profile
History
What women like to talk?
Posted: 2/13/2013 2:42:36 PM

Unless you are a great phone conversationalist, talking on the phone before you meet, spells disaster. Meet first, then talk on the phone all you want.

The logic behind this advice is that most conversation is drawn off of prior knowledge of a person or shared experiences. Your first meet/date should basically be using small-talk to get to know someone in a setting where you establish experiences (observations/banter/back and forth/whatever you do on your date from there) that you can later build off on in further conversations.

Getting all of the early conversation out of the way in inane phone conversations before the actual meeting is pointless and basically hamstrings you. Not to mention furthering the "building up an image of someone in your mind before meeting them," which is, by default, bad.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 7
What women like to talk?
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:29:10 PM
I will always say this...as for me and a lot of people I know this rings true. If the person is right for you and you are a fairly decent conversationalist, you won't run out of things to talk about regardless of the way you're talking (phone, in person, e-mail, text, IM). Plain and simple, if we run out of stuff to talk about - we're not a match. I've been with someone almost a year now and we're still talking effortlessly when we really want to yak.
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 8
What women like to talk?
Posted: 2/13/2013 5:39:16 PM
Always ask them about themselves, and they will talk and talk and talk and hopefully something in that will spur you to join in, going on many different tangents. Stay away from taboo subjects like sex, religion, politics, work and you'll be okay. But you have to learn active listening skills. And, how to get a woman to talk about herself, her family, find out the things she's interested in, pets, some of it will be in her profile.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 9
view profile
History
What women like to talk?
Posted: 2/13/2013 7:37:45 PM
Op .. when you need a break for minute or two , to think up more stuff to talk about ...just ..
....Ask her about her shoes
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 10
What women like to talk?
Posted: 2/13/2013 11:42:24 PM

Then we went up talking over the phone for couple of days. After which we dont have any topics to talk.

Well, it takes two to tango. At the same time, if you're a complete dud, she'll end up being a dud usually. If you're a conversational guy with your peers, but the conversation which was going fine, but goes nowhere out of "no topics to talk about", then she's probably lacking interest. Banter's a two-way street.

Oh wait, I forgot -- duh.... Ask her what color panties she's wearing, what her favorite position is, and if she ever made out with a cousin. If she answers them all, always say "two out of 3 ain't bad", but don't say why. That will keep her talking/saying something, as long as you beat around the bush the whole time.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 11
view profile
History
What women like to talk?
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:48:34 AM

If the person is right for you and you are a fairly decent conversationalist, you won't run out of things to talk about regardless of the way you're talking (phone, in person, e-mail, text, IM). Plain and simple, if we run out of stuff to talk about - we're not a match.

Absolutely agree.
Had a few phone conversation where the talk wasn't all that great, yet we agree to meet.
Let's just say it didn't go well. We were not a mach.
 OutMind
Msg: 12
What women like to talk?
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:59:05 AM

Stay away from taboo subjects like sex, religion, politics, work and you'll be okay.

Actually, the only subject I tend to stay away from is sex. I want that to evolve from our interaction. If you talk sex before you have met, then she will get the impression that all you want is sex. Now, about religion, I talk about it big time, because I will be the first one to cancel if I realize that she is a born again whatever. Or that Jesus is more important than her family. Same thing with politics, not so much about what parties one would belong to but what is the political ideology, how do they feel about particular issues.

I purposely bring it on, because in the end I do not see a date as a place in which I am trying to impress her and make her think I am all peachy. Nope. I am trying to see if we are compatible and if the answer is no, hell let's not waste our time.

Now, what do women like to talk about? Just look at what she is wearing and start right there. And remember the person that asks the questions, controls the conversation.
 Green_MK2
Msg: 13
view profile
History
What women like to talk?
Posted: 3/1/2013 7:53:06 AM
I dislike talking on the phone, especially for long convos but a little bit is good for a feeler.
Some people are fairly auditive and to me voice is a very, albeit arbitrary, important criteria.
 LyamB
Msg: 14
view profile
History
What women like to talk?
Posted: 3/1/2013 8:45:14 AM
Religion. Politics. Ambitions. Regrets. Concerns. World view.

People will argue that these topics are the ones to avoid, but these topics will keep the flame ignited. With the mentioned topics, I think you can really get to know someone. When you're talking to someone over the phone, it can get difficult after the simple small-talk.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > What women like to talk?