Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Race preference...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lee___
Msg: 1
Race preference...Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
There should really be an option that everyone can choose so we can all cut to the chase a lot quicker...

Not everyone puts who they prefer in their profile.

This definitely would be helpful.
 playnyourgame
Msg: 2
Race preference...
Posted: 2/13/2013 4:59:58 PM
agree but you have to realize that not everyone reads profiles, so do you think that will help? There needs to be a block, or way to choose who can contact you like they have that in your settings.
NO pic, can't email....etc etc...not white can't contact.....lol
 Lee___
Msg: 3
Race preference...
Posted: 2/19/2013 11:25:57 AM
That's exactly what I mean...

A discrete way to only be contacted by the race of people you'd be interested in...
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Race preference...
Posted: 2/19/2013 11:30:00 AM
Whatever for? Don't you have a Delete button?
 scarlet000
Msg: 5
Race preference...
Posted: 2/19/2013 2:13:47 PM
I'm lucky if I receive 1 reply for 20 messages I send. I don't doubt there are people who aren't interested in me, and therefore choose not to reply, but I also think a lot of messages simply never make it to the recipient. I agree with the race option though. They ask if you have a vehicle for pete's sake. Surely a more relevant question would be the racial one. There are and always will be racists out there who wouldn't dare date outside their racial circle.
 6marc9
Msg: 6
Race preference...
Posted: 2/19/2013 8:20:03 PM
I don't agree with you 100% there Cowboy about percentages on who is getting more or less responses, looking for someone to meet is an individual pursuit every one does what the do the way they do it no doubt the numbers vary per individual.
I know what I am attracted too as far as race is concerned isn't this site supposed to be about finding what you want in this dating pool (no pun intended). If the feature of selecting what race you want or don't want exists shouldn't it work properly? But realistically all the selection features are flawed it is what it is.
I will agree that you have a point about the site getting it's money. " They want you clicking and messaging here endlessly. Thats how they make money."
 Lee___
Msg: 7
Race preference...
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:59:43 AM
no...I'M open to all races...so I message all types...

It just would save me time to know if that woman would even consider me. I'm sure I'm not alone on this.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 8
Race preference...
Posted: 2/27/2013 9:02:46 AM
This definitely would be helpful

Posting IQ's, erection measurements, bra measurements, waist measurement, hips measurement....there are a number of things people use as bias that are actually more logical, practical and actual than race. Not that I'm advocating using them. Race as is most commonly used is a social construct. It exists in the minds of those too ignorant(lack of knowledge) and brainwashed to understand it only exists in the minds of those who cling to it.

When I view profiles of people who put preferences of race I accurately call them out as racist after they contact me. It shows me a mentality so rooted in ignorance that no matter how bangin the body or cute the face I know the mind is so narrow and full of illogical junk and inconsistencies that a relationship would only find more of the same in other areas.

Let's be clear, we all have some physical preferences, some more than others. Those preferences may be there for a variety of reasons logical and not yet they are accurately DEFINABLE. "Race" is NOT. Tall/height for example, although relative is nonetheless very accurately definable. "Race" is NOT. This is 1 of the reasons "race" preferences are simply ignorant.
It is also funny how people who consider themselves intelligent actually use color based labels for people as if they were M&Ms or jellybeans. It is a social vernacular whose time has come to cease.

I totally get the fact that someone who has been "rejected" due to such a preference would rather simply save time and energy. Still, it is much like someone who is a liar or very promiscuous. They are as likely to say in the profile...."hey, I'm a liar" or "Hey, I'm a promiscuous person" as they are to say "hey I'm a racist". In fact there are some of all 3 who often simply don't see themselves as liars or promiscuous or racists because they seem themselves compared to the most extreme of those labels rather than compared to the center or average. It is better to know that a person who may be physically rather attractive is a liar, promiscuous or racist early in communication than later. The good thing is that most racist will let themselves be known in this setting a lot quicker than liars and the promiscuous in denial or disguise. In a sense, they've saved an intelligent person looking for a relationship of substance time.

Note, my reply rate is about 1 in 4 of the messages I've sent. I also get inquires to my profile from many other women. I get messages from women who are racist(profiles says something to that affect) and I reply challenging them on their view.
Smart people date individuals.....not so smart...think in terms of "race".
 Solomonlike
Msg: 9
Race preference...
Posted: 2/28/2013 8:22:59 PM
It really isn't anything I'm doing but watching demographics. Women in my area, women with similar interests, women who actually take time to put something of substance in their profiles, women who if "older" seem interested in a 26yo man of substance. I also think that women in my general age demographic are more likely to reply for various reasons.
 Robert JI
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Race preference...
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:04:37 AM

Your reply rate is 1 in 4 . That is phenomenal!! Mine and other people I talk to are about one in 50 if that. How do you do it?

I think you basically lie about your response rate.

POF does have filters for race, religion, distance, etc. but all are disregarded by POF.

It is one of the frustrating things about the site.

What I really love is when POF "suggests" a match for me, I type a nice email and then POF says "This person is not accepting emails from someone your age." ????????

The only reason I have stayed with POF is that it is free.
 mainelythere
Msg: 11
Race preference...
Posted: 3/1/2013 6:17:25 AM
Race as is most commonly used is a social construct. I
Sorry Solly, but whether its a construct or not, there are very REAL environmental, social and filial issues you have to deal with when dating someone of a specific race.

[img]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx[/img]
 Solomonlike
Msg: 12
Race preference...
Posted: 3/1/2013 9:32:36 AM

very REAL environmental, social and filial issues you have to deal with when dating someone of a specific race.
Social issues are certainly relative to the area in which one lives. In an area of narrow minds, yes there are issues just as there would be issues of dating someone who is more intelligent and knowledgeable than those with such a narrow mind in that area and demonstrates it by living outside of such a narrow box. Now, outside of this.....what environmental, social and filial issues?
 Withoutlimits
Msg: 13
Race preference...
Posted: 3/1/2013 9:15:48 PM
there is a (block) feature to POF, I use it all the time.
 Withoutlimits
Msg: 14
Race preference...
Posted: 3/1/2013 9:18:43 PM
You have a very closed mind and a lot of young gay people like yourself do. You might have better luck on perhaps another site?
 Solomonlike
Msg: 15
Race preference...
Posted: 3/3/2013 10:00:39 AM
You have a very closed mind and a lot of young gay people like yourself do.

The OP is interested in women. No poster on here has ever mentioned "gay" except you. You posted right after another previous post you made. It appears that you are referring to yourself about yourself.

Thus the name "without limits"?
 Sunrise_Sunshine
Msg: 16
Race preference...
Posted: 3/3/2013 4:45:45 PM
It would be nice to have a setting where only individuals, who match my preferences, are able to contact me.
 Solomonlike
Msg: 17
Race preference...
Posted: 3/4/2013 7:13:30 AM

It would be nice to have a setting where only individuals, who match my preferences, are able to contact me

There are settings for various preferences except religious, philosophical, musical and racial preferences...well they could have more detailed body type and measurement as well as IQ and educational background preferences all of which have about equal merit. Still, someone would want even more detailed restrictions on who can contact them. Yet, there are date sites for people particular to any of those preferences. I suppose all could be filtered and STILL there would be complaints. It seems rather lazy not to simply state in the profile "I don't want to be contacted by----, ----, ----,---- and -------" instead of wishing the site do it instead. If "undesirables" contact you there is always the DELETE and BLOCK option.

As it relates to race, it is interesting how many people use the terms daily yet know so little about it. It is out of that ignorance that people react accordingly including in thought.
 aussieblues
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Race preference...
Posted: 3/6/2013 8:55:09 PM
Have you actually read "everyone's" profiles?
 ItsZodiac
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Race preference...
Posted: 6/24/2013 5:27:56 AM
I came in here for this exact feature. It's tiring visiting profiles due to face, rummaging through their photos, clicking to check out their criteria, then reading through their profile only to be hit with "Sorry, but I don't date Black men" or "I only want blonde-haired, blue eyed, etc." Hey, preferences don't bother me, but I wasted time checking out someone's profile who is a throw-away to me.

It shouldn't be too hard to have people choose the people they would ONLY like to be contacted by via Race. That way, they wouldn't be shown in my random group if they're not interested in Black men saving me time to focus only on more-interested parties akin to at LEAST my racial makeup. I'm open to all races but a lot of people aren't. I don't want them in my search results. At all.
 Xt1na
Msg: 20
Race preference...
Posted: 9/18/2014 4:44:55 PM
there needs to be an option to black all block all black guys
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 21
Race preference...
Posted: 9/19/2014 6:28:09 AM
...I came in here for this exact feature. It's tiring visiting profiles due to face, rummaging through their photos, clicking to check out their criteria, then reading through their profile only to be hit with "Sorry, but I don't date Black men" or "I only want blonde-haired, blue eyed, etc." Hey, preferences don't bother me, but I wasted time checking out someone's profile who is a throw-away to me.

Oh, yes, and you don't have preferences, right? It seems to me the people who post it in their profiles are offer others theirs, in a straight-forward, no bullshit manner, and you're still dissatisfied.

It shouldn't be too hard to have people choose the people they would ONLY like to be contacted by via Race. That way, they wouldn't be shown in my random group if they're not interested in Black men saving me time to focus only on more-interested parties akin to at LEAST my racial makeup. I'm open to all races but a lot of people aren't. I don't want them in my search results. At all.

How many women whose contact/profiles you overlooked, in favor of your own prefereed women? I've come across a few profiles who want women younger, slimmer, and more active than me, but you don't see me opining about the alleged unfairness of their preferences, as I have many of my own. I also don't waste my time whining about them; I effort in the participation of my own engagement on the site by searching for and talking to people who have equal interest in me. This issue doesn't have anything to do with race; it has to do with your outlook.

You're just annoyed because their preferences are an affront to your morbidly obese ego. You can't complain about openly-stated preferences nor can you demand anybody to like you or give you a chance, just because you're black (or white, or anything else). You have to write a sterling profile, have nice photos, and have an excellent, mature attitude about online dating to have some success. And, whatever you don't find here, you can learn from it and apply it in your real life.

I was raised primarily by my adoptive, Carribean black father. If he saw your response to this, he would have told you to stop your foolishness and quit that damned whining.
 willnew52
Msg: 22
Race preference...
Posted: 3/30/2015 8:09:26 PM
I agree. I was on POF a few months ago and took a break because I didn't understand why I was getting very little any responses. I just came back on after getting learning some new information. I'm African American and my preferences are toward curvy women who are a lighter skin-tone than mine, however, I'm open to all races. These days, I just prefer to wait until women message me first, and maybe message women every once in awhile, that way I'll know that they are interested. This method may take longer and require patience, but at least I'll stay sane that way. So if race is an issue for people, then maybe they don't need to be on the site or any other dating site. I look at online dating as just another way to meet women, especially since work has been hectic and time consuming (tax season's almost over). Once the work load lightens up, I'll be going out more and meeting more women.

For guys, I used this article to shape my profile, hope it helps
http://www.understandingrelationships.com/attracting-beautiful-women-easily-how-to-create-the-ultimate-online-dating-profile/2227
 29days12hrs44minutes
Msg: 23
Race preference...
Posted: 3/31/2015 8:14:17 PM
This thread reminds me of seeing old newspapers where employers indicated their racial preferences for new hires in help-wanted ads. And their gender preferences. It's so much fun getting older, you tell the youngsters shzt like this and they think you made it up :)
 bomski24
Msg: 24
Race preference...
Posted: 4/1/2015 5:12:04 PM
That's a great idea.. I was just about to post this same idea. I like dating different race and I can't filter out who is interested in dating certain race. Please can you all fix that and add that option. Would really be helpful.
 NBATipoff2015
Msg: 25
Race preference...
Posted: 1/21/2016 11:41:47 PM
I say any race should be able to contact anyone. Lets not promote racism here people.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Race preference...