Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is there a place to talk philosophy and Religion without censorship?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ThatClassicRomance
Msg: 1
Is there a place to talk philosophy and Religion without censorship?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Is there a place where you can talk religion/philosophy without a bunch of trolling, flaming, and censorship?
Everytime someone starts a decent discussion it's removed by the censorship police even though it's intellectual and meant to get at the root of the subject matter. I find it frustrating that we waste our time and breath on stuff that affiliation pride or moderators subjective opinions based on said pride affects the ability to speak frank and allow honest discussion without feeling the need to pull the plug if it gets to real.
Sure if one person gets out of line spitefully then remove that persons post, but not the whole subject matter. People don't learn and grow and imrpove when you censor every bit of info or whitewash or hide from harsh realities that might lead to changes in how we think or perceive reality and betterment of life.
 Vox_Populi
Msg: 2
Is there a place to talk philosophy and Religion without censorship?
Posted: 2/22/2013 3:20:52 AM
Have you tried YouTube?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 4:21:31 AM
Basically, OP, I would like to point out to you, that you are asking for opposites to be available together. That is, the only way to stop trolling and flaming IS censorship. So no, there is no way, including in your own private room, with sticks to hit each other with when someone reacts badly, to talk about religion/philosophy (or just about anything for that matter) without EITHER censorship, OR the strong likelihood of trolling and/or flaming.

OOps, I forgot the other possibility: have your discussions entirely with non-humans who can't respond, or with inanimate objects. But aside from THAT, no, you can't get what you are asking for anywhere.
 ThatClassicRomance
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/22/2013 4:53:01 AM
I haven't even thought of YouTube, is it the same as when responding to videos or a different section for discussions?
Amazon is a lot more civil and surprisingly unrestricting then most, but there's mostly people pushing their books and discussions go dead easy. Ironically I've been kicked out of every televangelist and pastor forum for posting their own texts, it's quite fascinating how people censorship the very books they validate their faiths with. Actually it's quite funny and very foretelling, but they'll never admit that's a big problem.

I can understand why a dating site would want to keep sensitive issues away from hurting the ego of ones affiliation pride, but at the same time why is there not the same sensitivity to those having to sift through tons of profiles requesting specific religion only, insulting those outside the group. There shouldn't be a double standard, if they are allowed to be predjudiced in profile and offend other groups of people then discussion in forums should allow defense and rebuttal to those acts of pride and predjudice or at least be able to discuss the psychology and behavior science behind their predjudices and group afiliation.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:19:21 AM

There are too many to list, starting from your own home to your own web site.

I can understand why a dating site would want to keep sensitive issues away from hurting the ego of ones affiliation pride,...

Because these topics turn into sh*t shows pretty fast and it only makes sense to manage the poo flinging by just shutting it down.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:40:17 AM
meant to get at the root of the subject matter.

there IS no root of the subject matter when it comes to religion and philosophy. there's just a bunch of people with opinions and most have been holding onto them so fondly for so long that they aren't really open to considering any radically different points of view. IOW they have a vested interest in maintaining their stance and, to a lesser extent, possibly also a vested interest in cramming their opinions down your throat although they would NEVER allow such a crass brutality upon their person. plato and aristotle had this huge falling out yanno. freud and jung, they got along great until they started to disagree on a few key points. there were no discernible differences between xtians and jews until some ballsy guy started turning over tables in the temple and calling himself mosiach. the nerve. nail that bastard son of a whore to a cross. now if that isn't philosophy, i don't know what is. if you spend a lot of time and effort building mind castles you just aren't gonna let some schmuck on a free-for-all philosophy forum tell you that you did it wrong.

People don't learn and grow and imrpove when you censor every bit of info or whitewash or hide from harsh realities

it has nothing to do with censorship. it has everything to do with people having a vested interest in their own opinions.

you might wanna try the religion forum here though, see how long it takes you to get kicked out. it's here, but it's hidden. you can do a search for "religion" and it'll pop right up.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/22/2013 7:22:23 AM

Is there a place where you can talk religion/philosophy

There is a difference between religion and philosophy. Philosophical talks are exceedingly rare here.

Everytime someone starts a decent discussion

Decent as judged by whom?

People don't learn and grow and imrpove

If that is your true goal, then the Internet is not the place to do it. If you wish to learn about religion, attend services. Go to Mass. Go to a temple. Go to a mosque. Attend evening prayers. Read the Bible, Torah and Koran. Go to an athiest meeting (There are plenty on meetup). Attend meditation.

pull the plug if it gets to real.

This is not real. This is the Internet. It is a bunch of words on a screen. You want real? Leave your safe little cubicle and explore. There's a whole, wide world of ideas out there if you're willing to listen.
 privat33r
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 1:34:27 PM
The philosophy/religion and off-topic areas were probably constructed just to exorcise all the ignorant tangential discussions that flourished in the regular dating forums. The forums themselves are moderately tangential to the site's goals and business plan. - we're lucky to have them.

That's not your question though.

Getting considered discussion likely won't happen here because its too far off the rails. You're already in the outback to start with these off-dating forums. To expect that people won't nuke them for nasty or trollish reasons is too much to assume. Also there's a wide diversity of opinion and understanding of even basic religious knowledge. I mean-- is it obvious to most that the Muslim and Catholic religions are closely related while Sikh, Shinto and Buddism are completely isolated from those? Can many even summarize quickly what the different Abrahamic religions represent within that spectrum?

You're asking too much to assume your thread won't just devolve. We have no reason to keep it on track and every reason to post self-agrandizing trollop that furthers what we imagine are moments in a spectral limelight.
 mark777771
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2013 5:37:04 PM
unfortunatley we live in world where true freedom of speech doesnt exist.
 mark777771
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 3:34:50 AM
I have no issue with someone pointing out error on my part, that is, if I have errored.
The fact that someone can use profanity here in the forums and nothing happens in many cases and I have a thread taken down because the topic is "controversial" is not consistent. However it's their site. I do think some moderators have an agenda.
 gingerosity
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 3:48:54 AM

I have no issue with someone pointing out error on my part, that is, if I have errored.

Erred.

Ah c'mon... who could've resisted that one?
 ThatClassicRomance
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/23/2013 6:12:18 AM

starting from your own home to your own web site.

Yeah I've done that and I'm sure people regreted approaching me when they were done.
Some guy who just got out of prison had the nerve to ask if I was saved and start preaching to me on the pier.
What nerve of people of lesser morals approaching those of higher standards and asking them that question?
But the literal 'own home' issue takes the cake, because we have no soliciting signs and yet people still feel that doesn't pertain to their salavation they have planed for you. Well there was one new local hurch which left a plastic bag full of flyers pertaining to "are you saved?" Must have regreted it later when they got a package back from me . I stuck that very same plastic bag filled with my own literature for them in rebuttle, including an essay on people of lesser morals approaching those of higher standards, and left in on their church door. That week they cancelled their Messianic group meetings that they were allowing use of their church space and decided not to let any groups proselytize to people of other religions that adhere to higher conduct.
Some people would get vengeful and put something else in the plastic bag, something that takes a few Taco Bell Burritos to make, but I choose to address things logically and rationally in hopes of reaching and teaching why it's wrong to impose and be condescending towards those they don't know. I think that same distinction needs to be made in moderating these discussions. Is the topic or poster trying to intelligently reach out and teach and share their views or are they just placing cr*p in a bag and throwing it at the people? People need to put the the affiliation pride and the ego aside when viewing unpopular reality.
 mark777771
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:13:26 AM
I think I understand the phrase "unpopular reality." Can you give an example please?
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:27:02 AM
Some guy who just got out of prison had the nerve to ask if I was saved and start preaching to me on the pier.
What nerve of people of lesser morals approaching those of higher standards and asking them that question?

well, "there is none so enthusiastic as the recently converted." so tell me, did you slap him right across the mouth with your gloves for having the impertinence to ask if you were "saved"?? also, you're clearly lacking in the most basic understanding of the concept of "salvation", but that's not really important anyway unless you were actually interested in having some semblance of a "philosophical" discussion. if lesser beings are so far beneath you though, i'm not really sure why you'd waste your own precious time being so fucking prissy about it. but then again that's what i would expect from just about any self-appointed authority on moral superiority.

Must have regreted it later ...plastic bag filled with my own literature for them in rebuttle, including an essay on people of lesser morals approaching those of higher standards

i see. your approach to discussing "philosophy" is arrogant and abrasive and confrontational and aggressive and condescending, and you think that's ok because you have higher standards than everyone else who annoys you. i guess you weren't very concerned about less abstract standards, like "proper spelling". did you even take half the time to spell check your "rebuttle" as you took to conceive it before hoisting it over the transom??? but hey thanks for the laugh, it was very funny in the ironic sense of the word.
Posted: 2/23/2013 4:19:41 PM

Ah...the biggest issue in the progress of humanity.
 ThatClassicRomance
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/23/2013 6:40:14 PM

the phrase "unpopular reality." Can you give an example please?

Like when Giordano Bruno tried to explain his belief (and praised Copernicus for establishing a scientific explanation for the fact) that the Earth revolved around the sun, opposite the church and their NT claim that the sun revolved around the earth. This made Giordano Bruno unpopular in the church eyes and landed him in hot water or should I say burned on the stake, but found later to be reality forcing the church to rewrite their texts to save face.
 ThatClassicRomance
Msg: 17
Posted: 2/23/2013 6:54:34 PM
Motown you might want to rethink your post:
You said:
>>>you're clearly lacking in the most basic understanding of the concept of "salvation"

How would you know my concept of salvation or even make this comment unless you were being arogant and condescending?

Therefore when you later wrote this unwarranted nor in context comment:
>>>>"your approach to discussing "philosophy" is arrogant and abrasive and confrontational and aggressive and condescending, "
Tbis ends up being hypocritical, you blame others unfairly for what you are doing, plus you were revictimizing the victim of what you admit is wrong. If someone is condescending and arrogant towards me it is my right to be able to speak up and correct that assumption like I did in replying to the church and to you just now.
It might be unpopular and hurt the human ego and group pride, but it is legitimate while the initial victimizing is not legitimized.

Rome was famous for doing this very same thing to many cultures, revictimizing their victims by blaming them for being out of favor with their god, saying their gods abandoned them when Rome trounced all over them. And later used by neo nazis and psychopaths to claim Jews were being punished hence the holocaust instead of looking within and admiting the unpopular reality that they were the issue in their evil acts against humanity. Yopur reply is using that same twisted logic and most likely your human ego will not allow you to admit it or accept it nor appologize, but that human ego will cause you to lash out more and victimze more, thus our discussion that was censored which started to address this human ego and group pride was indeed a legitimate and impotant assesment of human behavior and philosophy.
 mark777771
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:17:04 PM
People have a right to believe what they want. Its their perrogative in believe in talking snakes and a god that kills innocent babies for insane reasons. I choose to see the world and the cosmos for what they truly are. If there is a god I dont think its our place to understand him or her or it. If it was we already would. Hopefully more people will put their faith in science and mankind and not base their lives on fear of hell.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 7:43:11 PM
Okay, Op, I'm less sure all the time, about what EXACTLY has set you off in this thread. You have complained about being censored, and about threads or entries being deleted for being too controversial. I've seen a number of threads and posts in threads get deleted for being personal attacks, or because things got so heated that reasonable discourse was impossible, but I haven't heard of any subjects being so controversial that they are deleted out of hand. They weren't deleted for being controversial, they were deleted because the participants misbehaved horribly.

Now, I do know that there are a lot of things that SOME people want to discuss, which others demand they not be permitted to, here, or anywhere. For example, those who believe that they are inherently superior beings to some other subgroup of humans, and want to promote their disrespect for others freely and publicly. And there are those who feel that because they insist on using pejorative terms at all times for certain other people, that their freedom of speech is being inhibited when that is prevented. If you are among that sort, then I would fully support your being censored.

But such as that are not deleted for being "too controversial," they are deleted for being disrespectful to all participants.

So what exactly is it, that you are being censored from discussing, provided you can express it in a respectful, and civil manner, without denigrating others as a necessity in how you express yourself? If you wish to declare that some belief system is inherently evil or bad, then I would again agree that if you launch such a hate attack, that your post should be removed, as being disrespectful, as well as not truly being an honest attempt to engage in a discussion. That would again have nothing to do with your being controversial, rather it would have to do with your being disrespectful to the entire forum community, and with not using the forums to engage in civil discourse, as they were set up to be used.
 _shakti_
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/23/2013 8:50:13 PM
Are you aware that there is a religion forum here?

It's hidden from the forum main page, so doesn't get a whole lot of action anymore.. but is still operational.

The response to religious topics is different there. So are the rules.

Wanting to reform the world without discovering one's true self is like trying to cover the world with leather to avoid the pain of walking on stones and thorns. It is much simpler to wear shoes.

~Ramana Maharshi
Posted: 2/24/2013 4:52:53 AM
So where is this mythological religion forum I keep hearing about, how do you get to it?
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2013 6:03:14 AM
Look into the city data site's religion forum.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/24/2013 6:42:54 AM
Bookmark shortcut to Religion forum:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingForum12.aspx
Posted: 2/24/2013 6:44:57 AM
...ooh, we're really gonna have fun now...oh I'm so excited, I'm gonna pee my pants...
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/25/2013 4:27:23 AM
How would you know my concept of salvation or even make this comment unless you were being arogant and condescending?

you are right about one thing, i couldn't really know without further evidence from you, but since you were bloviating about your so-called "standards" i had to go ahead and make an assumption and a rhetorical statement. hard to believe a smart guy like you wouldn't recognize an assumption or a rhetorical statement unless it was your own. i guess you prefer straw man arguments because that's the only way you can win your hollow little intellectual battles. in the meantime here's a lil' sumtin for ya "rebuttle boy", there's a difference between being "arrogant and condescending" and "reading between the lines."

and oh yeah, because you're so prissy about everything.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Is there a place to talk philosophy and Religion without censorship?