Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Can you block someone from calling you on your cell phone?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tnt144
Msg: 1
Can you block someone from calling you on your cell phone? Page 1 of 1    
Dumb question number 65,993 - Can you block someone from calling you on your cell phone? I'm getting older here, not a big phone person, don't have kids, and it's hard to keep up with the technology. For what it is worth, my phone works on the Sprint network.

I'm just concerned that if I ever get a stalker, what I can do... obviously I can screen the call and let it go to voice mail. But can I actually block a number from ringing my cell phone in the first place?
 Holly63
Msg: 2
Can you block someone from calling you on your cell phone?
Posted: 2/23/2013 5:09:27 PM
Well firstly be mindful of whom you give your number to. Secondly, I believe it IS possible to block nuisance calls by contacting your phone provider.
 forumitejunkie
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/23/2013 5:20:12 PM
OP---Is it possible? In MOST cases, yes. Different providers have different policies, if you're curious you should contact yours and inquire what theirs is. Some will do it freely, some allow you to block numbers yourself by using a code, some will charge a fee, some have no means of doing it ---mine :(
 privat33r
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 5:29:04 PM
My phone has an 'add to reject list', which I've never used.

But even when I was getting persistent phone calls, and calls to hassle people in my life, and it went on and on all hours, days, weeks,-- I'd have had to think about it before I blocked a call.

Its slow in the winter. Not a lot of entertainment. Its that long slog between vacations. If you want a bunch of Canadians to join a war somewhere wait until February, start a Hockey strike, show some pics of women wearing non-anorak type garments, make sure there's some casual shots of fresh fruit and the country sells beer- no more invasions of dry countries- -- just saying. I guess its not exactly related to the post.

Phones can teach the kids to dance, play guitar and run the revolution in Belarus. Seems likely most also have "block number".
 4utheworld
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2013 5:45:28 PM
If you have a smart phone you can download applications that block callers or even area codes. You should talk to your phone company. A wrong number used to call my cell phone numerous times in the middle of the night, so I finally added the phone to my contact list and assigned it a no tone and zero vibrate. I use Blackberry cell.
 Blah_User_Name
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/23/2013 6:56:17 PM
I've blocked numbers which have called my son's cellphone in the past by contacting his provider.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/24/2013 10:18:35 AM
I have an iPhone 4S with Rogers in Toronto. I was never able to block a number until Rogers introduced a service called One Number. One Number lets you send and receive audio and/or video calls on your computer using your wireless number, plus you can add a few more phone numbers that you might have. It's a great service if you have a poor cellular signal where you live, which I do. It also does a nice job of blocking numbers.
 cwgrlvic
Msg: 8
Posted: 2/26/2013 4:57:06 AM
This is a great tool, thanks so much for sharing!
 TheStupidSmartGuy
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/11/2013 11:50:02 AM
If I click options, when looking at a contact on my android phone I have the option to send that contact directly to voicemail. So I made a contact called crap and add all annoying numbers to that contact. Your phone will not ring but the call will show on your log.
 Somesingleguy1974
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/5/2013 4:57:45 PM
On my andriod, my malware scanner program is able to block any number that I want. It doesn't ring or do anything. The screen just flashes once and that is it.

The next step would be to have a program that sends a nice 10,000 Volt jolt back into ears of the person who phoned. :)
 CallmeKen
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/5/2013 5:12:28 PM
Most of the big box stores (Wal F@rts, Tarjet, etc.) sell cheapo prepaid phones - or as my generation used to call them, drug runner phones. You stick $20 on the phone, and get a throwaway number. Give the temp number out to daters. Get a stalker? You can easily change the temp number without having to go through all the mess of updating your real contact list.

The cheapo phones are just that - phones - without cameras, smart tech or any extras, but they're cheap and anonymous. Best of all, you avoid having your real number written in the bathroom stall of the Pink Pony, under the heading, "For a Good Time Call".
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/14/2013 6:04:15 AM
Check these out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ7fLYS-CE8

http://www.google.com/googlevoice/landing/index.html#utm_source=en-ha-na-us-sk&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=google%20voice%20number&utm_campaign=en

Also, type " how to get google voice number " into your google search. Thousands of hits but check the ones from Google itself first.

I use it and love it.

Good luck.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/15/2013 4:10:41 AM
^^^ Burger,
Look for anything that says “Voice”, “One Number”, or the like. I would like to help further but, since I already have Google Voice, when I sign in and I select anything to do with Voice it takes me to my Voice inbox. I would have to create a new account then create a new One Number just to document the process and there are tons of web pages with that already on them.

Right now, without doing the new account thing myself and giving you step by step instructions as to what I did, the best advice I can offer is to keep looking for the information on line or use the Help/Contact us portion of Google and request phone support. Someone at Google may be able to walk you through it.
 spot4username
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/15/2013 7:33:21 AM
I don't give my number out until I have met a man and know I want to see him again. That eliminates most issues. I use a Google voice number for work. I don't want to put my real cell on my company facebook page. I find the Google voice to be a wonderful option and have been quite pleased with it. I also have an app on my phone that blocks numbers. Mr. Number. I highly recommend it. It will block numbers that come from known spam sites and let you block numbers individually. You can choose to send them straight to voicemail or (my favorite) pick up and hang up.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/16/2013 10:00:05 AM
Burger,
Yes, many of the gurus that like posting their mastery of all things IT are often just doing so to see themselves on YouTube or their words of wisdom in some blog/forum……. wait,….. I am posting this is a blog/forum (!??!).

Anyway, that is the reason I mentioned to keep on searching and to try Google help since it is their software. And it looks like you found the answer somewhere. I’m sorry that my suggestion wasn’t the best answer but at the same time I’m glad you resolved it, sort of.

Our conversation is slipping off topic just a bit so maybe the conversation can get back to point.

Again, glad you received some answers. Hopefully Google will someday offer the same or similar service to you folks up North.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > Can you block someone from calling you on your cell phone?