Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Meet me radius (distance)      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LeggiesDad
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Meet me radius (distance)Page 1 of 1    
I'm wondering how the radius in miles works for the meet me feature. What I've found is when I click through the different members as each comes up, very few if any are closer than 50 miles away from my zip code. Now I know there must be a few people within 100 square miles of my location. Must I be an upgraded member to view nearby members? Thanks.
 dcguy294
Msg: 2
Meet me radius (distance)
Posted: 2/24/2013 6:46:58 PM
I am a member and I still see no way to restrict the meet me feature. This is very annoying, I'm in DC, and almost everyone I see on the Meet Me Feature is not in DC or even that close. Does anyone know of a way to restrict it to DC?
 LeggiesDad
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:34:18 AM
I checked a dozen "meet me" profiles a few minutes ago. None were less than a 2 hour drive away.
 ChrisTD
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 6:08:15 AM
At least yours works, I get emails saying blah blah wants to meet you log into the website and nothings changed, cleared my cache and cookies so guess it must be another pay feature.
 LeggiesDad
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2013 7:41:05 PM
I'm guessing that for anything to at least function on this site, one must be a paid member. Ain't no such thing as free!
 _WeepingAngel_
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/13/2013 1:43:23 AM
Interesting to see how the distance works for others - thought it was only a local problem as I live in a small regional city.

The meet me function, often has people over 300kms away.

When I ask for new LOCAL users it gives me people over 1000 kms away - yes you read it correctly - 1000 kms.

I actually wonder if the site understands how big Australia is.

I would like some way to put in a preferred distance and for the site to stick to it.

I understand that maybe my local pool of prospective dates is small but if I ask for local, I mean local.

Oh well, it's all an adventure :)
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:15:31 AM
The distance issues have been a long time problem here. I have my search radius set to 50 miles and a lot of Canadian and Michigan profiles come up. It does not take into consideration having to drive around, fly over, or ferry across Lake Erie. Also, many of the matches are 75 miles or more in a straight line.

The entire Meet Me feature is seriously flawed. Great idea but horribly executed. But that is a discussion on scores if not hundreds of other threads.

Based on what I read in many of the threads posted about this, the distance issues are just the same for paid members as for us freebies. Search the Forums and there are tons of threads on the issue. Many have suggestions on how to tighten up search distances. I haven’t personally tried any but some claim to have answers.

Bob

OK, just to be anal:
A circle with a 50 mile radius would cover a little over 7,850 square miles, not 100. A 50 mile radius is a 100 mile wide (diameter) circle. Just as an example, a square of 100 miles x 100 miles would cover 10,000 square miles. A 100 mile diameter drawn inside that square would cover >7,583 square miles.
A = Pi x R.Sq

I say the glass is half full and after all, it was a free beverage. Others say the free beverage is already served in an half empty glass so how dare they try to give us a smaller serving!
 northwildwoodnjman1969
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:49:53 AM
I set my search for 25 miles to get people up to about 35 miles away. I still think they should do a search by drive distance between towns and use either google maps or mapquest as the source of the info.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/13/2013 6:34:57 AM
^^^^ I completely agree but highly doubt you will see it here. Google Maps has been repeatedly suggested and outright begged for here in the forums. And history shows that unless there is a near revolt of one to two thousand posts about a subject in just a few days, admin pays little to no attention to the forums.

Sad but just the way it is here on POF.

Just a note before someone as anal as me points it out… I see that I inverted some numbers in my previous post. Just my dyslexia showing. :-0

Bob

I say the glass is half full and after all, it was a free beverage. Others say the free beverage is already served in an half empty glass so how dare they try to give us a smaller serving!
 R1_Engineer
Msg: 10
Posted: 12/27/2013 7:27:23 PM
The "Within xxx Miles" thing should have a smaller region of interest; it is either 75 miles or Any.

I am sick and tired of seeing females that live 2+ hours from me shooting me a message or the "Meet Me" feature lists females 2+ hours away also. I am sorry but I already commute for an hour and a half for work, I don't want to have to commute for 2 hours to see a gal that may or may not pan out.

And yes I live near / in a large metro city

Make the "Meet Me" / Matches / Mail Settings have smaller intervals like the following

Your city only
5 miles
10 miles
20 miles
30 miles

Etc
 forum_moderator
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2013 10:49:26 PM

Please just post it once.
No need to bump up each and every thread you find with the exact same post.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then eMail CSR here. Complaints HERE
 billyblueskys
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 9/9/2018 10:07:03 AM
Change meet me radius
 Natey2
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/25/2018 7:05:45 AM
There's nothing worse than no matches, so maybe the algorithm searches adjoining cities.
Sometimes I change locations in my profile settings, and it's like a fully stocked fish pond there, lol.

I was on a business trip in another state, and I got many replies probably because I was a new fish in their pond there.
 beemandan90
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 11/23/2018 8:38:37 PM
Meetme distance measurements are pure voodoo magic derived from the Ouija board principle. One does simply not know how it works, nor tries to understand it.

Pro tip: Generally speaking, distances on sites using zip codes and a coordinate system pairs operate on something along the lines of the following ( tested this on multiples sites over the years and it is pretty darn accurate )

CEIL( ( degrees( acos( sin( radians( lat_1 )) * sin(radians( lat_2 ) ) +
cos( radians( lat_1 ) ) * cos( radians( lat_2 ) ) *
cos( radians( lon_1 - lon_2 ) ) ) ) * 60 * 1.1515 ) + .0001 )
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Meet me radius (distance)