Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Biased logic or half truths?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 cbbull21
Msg: 1
Biased logic or half truths?Page 1 of 1    
I wasn't sure how to categorize this or what jargon would suffice as a subject heading.
Although it pertains to humor, I wish to explore the observed phenomenon.

At the end of Robin Williams' Weapons of Self Destruction, while the credits are rolling, he recites a joke as told to
him by Walter Cronkite. The punch line is "It's not so funny when it's your mother is it?"
The first part of the joke addresses son-mother-father while the latter half pertains to father-grandmother-son.
At face value the punch line is valid. The situation is the same but the circumstances are different.

I'm sure we can all think of more examples of such diametric ideals. One may be hard and fast or fast and loose while the other's subject to qualifiers and mitigating circumstances.
Are there any simple truths? If there are, why do we have a hard time accepting it when it hits close to home? Why do we rationalize ways not to come to grips with it?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Biased logic or half truths?
Posted: 2/26/2013 11:14:15 PM
If by "simple truths," you mean "words of great wisdom and insight that require no experience, no depth of character, compassion, or understanding of life to fully grasp," then I would say a very firm "no."

As for the second, semi-related question: why do so many people quote other people's sayings and advice, and then fail to apply it to themselves... that, I think, is the rather simple result of one of two things.

First is a phenomenon that can happen when we hear wise sayings, or brilliantly witty statements. Someone says something that sounds so pithy, cutting, and clever to someone else, and we laugh and enjoy that someone got put in their place so incisively. But often, the people laughing, really have no idea what the person being put down was actually going through, nor do they realize that the core message of the "witty" remark, was the cruelty and selfishness of the speaker. It's not until the listening laugher is the target of the speaker, that they realize what was really going on. This is sort of like the old "the Nazis came for the Gypsies, and I was silent" routine. It also goes well with the Cronkite joke.

The second, is that as you implied in your title, there's a lot of stuff being said which masquerades as logic, and as wisdom, but is actually a collection of misapplied, out of context quotes of otherwise genuinely admirable people, being used for selfish purposes by those who quote them. The reason THOSE folks don't apply their claimed morality or wisdom to themselves, is simply because they aren't TRYING to manipulate and abuse THEMSELVES, they are trying to take advantage of YOU.
 billingsmason
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/26/2013 11:35:35 PM
there are many many simple truths.
I have a hard time wrapping my mind around those that need to rationalize their break from the cold hard rocks of reality, where dreams are easily dashed.

old adages come to mind:
good for the goose....
shoe fits wear it...
truth hurts bear it...
turn about is fair play....

when I lay stone walls, each piece has to fit well. the joint size is the tolerance you must cut the stones to.
I enjoy drylaid walls the most (mortarless). if you cut a stone and it is too big- you must take it out and cut it again. no amount of spitting on it is going to help. with stone and steel there is very little stretch and bend. wood, paper, other materials there is give.... oops room. this is reality. simple truth. the more you do this work, the better you get at cutting them right the first time.

this seems to carry over in life. if you practice being realistic, you get better at it. yet so many people are so far from realism that it's pretty funny to watch.
we all have our strong suits. I am spatially inclined. it's a skill I've learned. others... like working my phone or computer, or even being nice to people... I have room for improvement. if we acknowledge our weaknesses- we can over come them.

if your head's in the sand.... your ass is fair game.

Igor- I never have a problem taking advantage of myself.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 2:46:08 AM
Perspectives change with opportunity, especially for humor. Laughter releases endorphin's that relieve certain kinds of pain / anxiety, even evoke an addictive-like trait for short periods. Most of us have experienced the "hurts to laugh" anecdote where someone laughs anyway even though it causes excruciating pain back and forth laughing convulsing in pain then laughing again etc etc.

Rebellion against a mild delusion may also play a part as the sub conscious strives to connect the dots.
 cbbull21
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:13:07 PM
Other examples of the nature in question include the "man gets a girl pregnant the child is his responsibility not hers, since whatever you get out of a vending machine is yours not the machines" analogy and "proofs" that 1=2 or 2=5 or (No Study=Fail) + ( Study=No Fail)
=> (Study=Fail)
The (Study + No Study) = (Fail + No Fail) step is highly dubious.
a and not a equals b and not b?
The algebra seems commonplace, but the conclusion is false.
Does this prove that Study=No Fail is a false premise?
Or that No=-1 in this context leading to a=a, as opposed to taking No literally which implies
If you have no apples then you owe someone an apple.

I guess the thread should be Fallacies.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:02:56 PM

Why do we rationalize ways not to come to grips with it?

Too much work involved probably. Like holding a grudge. More efficient to put it on a back shelf until data comes along later even if it takes years. Even if you figure your time is only worth minimum wage that's X amount of dollars in wasted time. Or you might intuit you will never have the data.

Online is a little different. That's like knowing what you are getting for Christmas but your still not 100% sure until you open the thing :)
 Kings_Knight
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/27/2013 8:00:17 PM
The most basic Simple Truth was stated succinctly by Robert Zimmerman (a/k/a Bob Dylan) ...

"Free your mind and your ass will follow" ...
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Biased logic or half truths?