Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 anthonyalan
Msg: 1
Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?Page 1 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
In every 3rd profile I look some girl is describing herself is sarcastic. I hope its not like that among older women because then I'd be really disappointed. That's not a good trait! It's annoying, petty, and even as a form of humor its pretty lazy. When someone says they are sarcastic are they expecting something like "Awesome another sarcastic woman! Boy I can't wait to have my every mistake repeated to me in an annoying tone and see other's receive the same treatment!" I guess on this website they will probably get 20 messages from lonely men anyway because of the ratio so I thought I would bring it up in a forum. Find a better way to describe yourself. I would just not write women that describe themselves that way except almost a majority of them do it. If that's something you do you should try to minimize it. It's rude and irritating not a selling point jeez.
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 2
Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?
Posted: 2/27/2013 3:56:58 PM
Sarcastic equates to funny, unless you over do it, then it can come across as bitter and resentful. Knowledge tells you when you should/can be sarcastic. Learn to laugh at your mistakes, you'll enjoy life much more.
 The_Curvy_Doll
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/27/2013 3:59:24 PM
I don't think sarcasm is funny. I think it's quite rude, actually.
 mainelythere
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/27/2013 3:59:30 PM
sarcasm is only appealing if done in the right time and place, otherwise sarcasm equates ****iness. the worst is when it is done by people who really arent all that bright but are good at quips.
 ksayer1
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 3:59:45 PM
Huh, thanks for pointing that out.
Since some one who takes themselves way too seriously, and is not very witty, is what i am really looking for. Also i prefere men who are easily offended.
Going to go fix this right away!!
 mainelythere
Msg: 6
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:01:02 PM
the problem is YOU are deciding whats considered "easily"
 anthonyalan
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:03:41 PM
You know it's too bad you don't like me, your profile is the type I like. I'm not sure why YOU are offended but hey if you think sarcasm is witty I guess just about anything will make you laugh, that's not so bad either. Sorry I shouldn't post in my own forum.
 ksayer1
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:10:13 PM
I am not offended. Just saw a chance to make myself laugh :)
OP you and mainlythere seem kind of angry, and judgemental. Like if you don't like something every one around you should change. Maybe you guys should try a different perspective, or just lighten up :)

And to answer the question, obviously i am a sarcastic azz whรถ hangs out with her scarastic azz friends and we all laugh. :)
 mainelythere
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:12:12 PM
ksayer thats a deflection. DO you go into the womens posts whining about men and tell them they shouldnt expect others to change? no you dont and why is that? oh because you agree with their complaints. SO please save the hypocrisy.
 LyamB
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:12:33 PM
Do you consider 'clumsy' desirable? I don't, and yet I've listed it on my profile.

I've seen tons of profiles where I've read stuff that I dislike, and then I remember profiles aren't written around my needs and expectations.
 mainelythere
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:14:57 PM
Lyam, theres a difference between clumsiness and being sarcastic. you do understand the difference right?

a relationship is not supposed to be a "this is me I refuse to accommodate you at all, deal with it of F off"
 LyamB
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:19:26 PM
There's a difference?

I'm fully aware of the differences, Professor.

You're a right, a relationship isn't that. But as the OP admitted, he's not a fan of sarcasm. So, let's say he meets up with a woman who turns out to be SARCASTIC! Then what? If anything, he should be thankful he's been given a heads up.

I'm sarcastic and flippant at times, but does that define me?
 mainelythere
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:23:33 PM
It depends on HOW sarcastic a person is, if you cant go 2 minutes without making a snide remark it can be a lot.
No one wants to be in an LTR with someone that they have to be on defense with. A little sarcasm isn't a bad thing, but if EVERYTHING is an excuse to be a jerk, it's very unappealing. Even other sarcastic people get weary of it.

Also if you dont define people by their personalities and traits what would you define them by?

PS you do make a good argument for sarcastic people not being as clever as they think they are.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:29:23 PM
Sarcasm cannot be 'sold' very well over online communications or texts. That emotional inflection that tells you it's a sarcastic 'tone' simply DOESN'T exist in a written text message.

People in these forums do add their own asides (*note* the strong hint of sarcasm here) and things of that nature, but for the most part, in a generic text, if people don't know it's sarcasm, it's usually taken wrongly as angry or bitter. That simple miss-communication can steer a whole conversation in a different (and bad) direction. Some may not know that until it's too late to apologize, others stay ignorant of it and decide if you don't 'get' my sense of humor HERE, you won't in real life, either.

What I consider to be 'sarcasm' as described in most of these online profiles as for the most part, not a sense of humor, but a sense of anger (or frustration) that they like to spin out creatively. It's OK in some respects, but there's also a limit for how much a person can take before it gets annoying. Like bad breath, it's not something people can tolerate for very long.
 Aww-Ree
Msg: 15
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:31:25 PM
Well then ANTHONY.....I guess that descriptor of "sarcastic" might be also be used by someone not liking that behavioral trait (such as yourself) as a weeding tool to help identify and filter out the profiles of those women that lean on this as a selling point. You can then focus more on the women that do meet your....criteria. :)
 forumitejunkie
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:40:58 PM
^^^^ There you go, I can't improve on that advice :)
 LyamB
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:44:22 PM
Yes, it depends how sarcastic someone is. So the base of argument is that they are VERY sarcastic, where as mine is just that they are sarcastic.

You do define people by their personalities and traits, but not just one.

It's the OP's opinion, he dislikes it, he doesn't speak on behalf of the male population.
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 4:44:29 PM
I don't think sarcasm is funny. I think it's quite rude, actually

It is rude if you can't comprehend the double entendre. :P

If we are talking about rude, condenscending Raphael Ninja turtle sarcasm yes that rubs the wrong way. I am very sarcastic person, and I tend to turn the obvious into humor which doesn't rub the wrong way or isn't rude.

Sarcasm used to belittle someone's intelligence can be unattractive, but it is quite a potent tool if some guy thinks he is hot stuff. I tend to put him guys like this in their place with my rapier sharp quips and sarcasm haha. They don't know what hit them and it makes it all the more funnier. ^.^

Stray__Cat
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:03:12 PM
Women do not put that in their profiles as a desirable trait.
It is put in there as a warning!
Also it wards off the weak.
So it is a two for one phrase that works very well for em.
:-P
 Walts
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:10:29 PM

Sarcasm used to belittle someone's intelligence can be unattractive

And some forms of "sarcasm" expose some of the "unintelligent" peeps around the person using it. Take a look at the biatching and complaining of this weekend's "host" of the Oscars. Some people are not smart enough to "get" some humour, and so be it. Don't laugh. Just sit there and frown.
 NOCLOWNING
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:23:02 PM
Sweet Danimal. You are so right. I lost a friend because of this. It was a weird friendship, he didnt like talking on the
phone, so we would send e-mails, or text, and things were taken the wrong way. When I would try to call, and explain
he wouldnt anwer the phone.
I have on my profile, that I can be a real ball buster, Dish it out and can take it, as long as its not under the belt.
If you dont like "sarcatic women" then dont date them. That easy!!!
Wow thats sarcatic!!!!
 DORA1966
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:25:05 PM
I totally agree with you about sarcasm. After a couple of times of hearing it, especially when it's laced with a patronizing tone, I start dishing it back out and guess what? Somebody gets pissed off and it "ain't me" haha!
 sigungq
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:36:44 PM
Sarcasm is a desirable trait, when kept lite and peppered with humor, and not always directed at the same person. There is sarcasm that is mean, and there is sarcasm that is humorous, just as there are some forms of comedy that are mean as well as some that are humorous. It's all in the target, the delivery, and the tonal inflections.
 mainelythere
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:41:05 PM
I think the last few people hit it right on the head.

What I consider to be 'sarcasm' as described in most of these online profiles as for the most part, not a sense of humor, but a sense of anger (or frustration) that they like to spin out creatively.

I see a whole helluva lot of this from people on these forums. It's as if- lacking any sort of actual wit or anything of value to say- they choose instead to spew out spiky remarks and then if taken poorly they play the shaming game.
"whats the matter your feeling hurt?"

I love the idea that at 6'1 220 lbs and an Marine iraq vet, the fact that I dont care for sniping comments i am a cry baby.
 WQ12
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/27/2013 5:49:19 PM
Everybody tries to be funny ... pretty natural to try ...

some people are indeed gifted in humor ..

other people have their moments ..

everyone else uses sarcasm
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do women think sarcasm is a desirable trait?