Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why is it that pictures and text so often aren't aligned?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 No2Barbie
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why is it that pictures and text so often aren't aligned?Page 1 of 1    
I'm really confused. In many ways it's funny but I'm really confused why so many women put up vanity pictures or pictures of themselves scantily clad and then talk about how they want a guy who's series and doesn't just want them for sex. How is it that women don't understand often your pictures prime the type of interest you'll get from a person?
 Maleman999
Msg: 2
Why is it that pictures and text so often aren't aligned?
Posted: 3/2/2013 11:01:07 AM
It's because these women are speaking in half truths. They are interested in having sex with guys they consider hot and sexy and that's the targeted audience the pictures are aimed at. The "If you're interested in sex, move along" statement is aimed at guys they don't find attractive enough to have sex with.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/2/2013 11:07:46 AM
Your profile is pretty much nothing more than a classified ad you would put in a newspaper or magazine. You are selling an image of yourself that you would like to portray. ALL people in here are guilty of selling an image.

Do only hot young sexy thin bikini models smoke Virginia Slims cigarettes? Hell, No.

Selective perception is what advertising is all about - and online dating is no different. A guy may love to show off pictures of them rubbing elbows with tons of actors and celebrities - but his job is as a stage attendant in a theatre that barely earns a living wage. He's NOT LYING - he really DOES bump into a lot of popular people - but he also works at The Hope Depot during the day to pay the bills.

Too many profiles in here are left short, incomplete, or very vague - and the best you can do is assume and summarize the whole of the parts from what they've given you - it's kind of like solving the picture in a jigsaw puzzle when all they've given you is the border pieces. What you THINK may be in the middle is not always the case, but blaming the other person for YOUR bad assumption is the wrong way to fix it.

How another person translates YOUR advertising may be radically different from your intentions - and you have to accept that not everyone will have the same opinion. Your profiles do NOT tell the whole story as well - no matter how 'perfect' you think you made them - so if others are 'guilty' of false advertising in POF, you HAVE to blame yourself for the same crime.

The best you can do is engage them in a conversation - ask questions - find out more of the 'puzzle pieces' and how they fit together. You might even find out that YOU have some of their missing pieces - and you fit in well together.
 Green_MK2
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 11:30:14 AM
Sweet_Danimal you cracked the mystery lol.

Good looking woman will advertise sexual attraction, they have so they flaunt it. They're not looking for only sex, but they are looking for it as well, aren't we all?
It is silly to assume they don't want men to be physically attracted to them, and silly to assume they will not go for someone they are attracted to themselves.
As for attracting the wrong kind of attention, if they are attractive, they're used to it, they know how to handle it.
 Bohica4u
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/2/2013 7:28:09 PM
op its because most people don't want to appear shallow...so they put in their profiles all the cliche's....in reality most profiles if everyone was honest. would simply say if you're hot message me....plain and simple.. if all that mattered was character,honesty,integrity,kind,compassionate etc then all the short fat balding men would be snatched up and all the overweight,homely women would be too but that isn't happening now is it?? :)
 brinaalina
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 11:28:33 PM
Um, these people are what we call hypocrites. Derr. And they need the validation that the sexy photos provide (receiving compliments, etc.). Clearly.
Those women are veeeeery stupid.
If I put up a photo of my tits, I expect you to look at them, lol. It's a weird mindset that those women have.

Maybe you should ask them yourself?
Oh wait, no, they'd probably yell at you and call you an a**hole. Haha.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/5/2013 12:09:31 PM
And while they probably aren't just looking for sex, they know sex is really all they have to offer.

While I agree that sex sells I'm gonna take a slightly different approach because I do not feel that everyone with sexy pictures believes that sex is all they have to offer. Our society puts so much emphasis on sex for attention with women that a lot of intelligent women foolishly hide that part of themselves when looking for male attention. And they frequently get it - including the unwelcome kind.

Even younger men are being told in movies and advertising that their only real attraction is in the physical - just look at all the why not me and the nasty responses in Ask A Girl about how shallow women are. More and more men are taking off their shirts (until they get caught). Not all of them are just looking for sex either.

We've got to accept that on dating sites we will see classy pictures, average pictures and the risque' that aren't going to add up the way we think they should. Just please, please old men in my age group - put your shirts back on. (that was sarcasm)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Why is it that pictures and text so often aren't aligned?