Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who speaks another language?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 prime ribb
Msg: 1
Would you date someone who speaks another language?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
On another dating website and in IRL on occasion I would get the attention of a female who doesn't speak English. The only thing that was a factor was the language barrier. I would get messages from women who may only know a few words in English but when I attempted to have further correspondence, it would be a dead end because of language problems. Now I went on date once with a woman who didn't speak English and when we wanted to converse we did so through a translator she brought with her. It was the weirdest date I been on, but I had a good time. My question for you all is would you date someone who speaks another language and doesn't know English? Have you been attracted to someone who's a non-English speaker?
 Walts
Msg: 2
Would you date someone who speaks another language?
Posted: 3/3/2013 5:47:50 AM
My question for you all is would you date someone who speaks another language and doesn't know English?

Dating a woman that can't speak a word of English to me?????? Sounds like the dream I had last night. Did she have a nice little tight bum?????? Cause mine did.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2013 6:01:47 AM
Would I? Possibly. A language barrier that high, would mean a much longer "glide path" to bring two people together, and that's tough on lots of folks. I'm a pretty patient person (often to my detriment), but I expect that the two of us would have to have a very strong initial attraction, to be willing to do the work needed to learn to speak.

Have I been attracted to non English speakers? Every G-D day, as General George Patton said.
 Pinky127
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/3/2013 6:12:17 AM
No way hozay.............

I cant imagine the frustration id feel in not being able to have a conversation with them.
So,nah...................
 Della D
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/3/2013 6:43:36 AM
As long as the language is one have at least a basic command of I would not have a problem, would be a nice way to improve on that language.

If it's a completely foreign language though (those with the different alphabets) I don't think we would get very far though, smile.
 tnt144
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/3/2013 6:54:59 AM
Communication is one the most important things in a relationship. Let me put it too you this way..... I don't even like a foreign accent. Do you smell what I'm cooking?!

I know some people think these things are romantic but... It's just not practical.

I saw one of those Bachelor shows once, and he is trying to have a date with a native Italian... he is grasping at straws trying to have a conversation with her... and I'm just shaking my head in disbelief. It was a farce.

The question you have to ask yourself, is if you were searching for a best friend, would this person be one of your first choices? Or if you were searching for a partner to go into business with, would she be a good choice? A relationship is a friendship on fire with romance and affection to turn up the heat. But if you can't understand a word she is saying, it's going to be rough going. And relationships are hard enough as it is. Don't make it any harder than it has to be for best results.
 forumitejunkie
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/3/2013 7:04:25 AM
Somewhat limited command of the language, or navigating through a strong accent, is one thing. But two people who do NOT speak each other's language? Nah....not unless the attraction and desire and commitment (though how you'd get to that without having been able to communicate is a mystery!) was such that one, the other, or both were determined to learn the other's language.

I can't imagine dating via a translator, nor a relationship in which communication is all but impossible.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/3/2013 7:12:22 AM
So, you're asking if anyone would date a person who speaks no English? That would never work for me. The ability to communicate is vital to any relationship. Even the people I know who speak English as a second language miss a lot of the subtle nuances of the English language.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:15:16 AM
In love, all things are possible. (Maybe.) One night, long ago, and in another country, I entered a room of a friend on a party Friday night. There were a few foreign students (one of whom had invited me), the rest, and most, were Chinese students. Across the crowded room was this tall, *gorgeous* guy. My knees literally buckled. He began to make his way through the sea of dancers to my side. We spent the next few hours talking in my really basic (shopping/tourist) Chinese. I actually had NO idea that I had that much Chinese--as an English teacher, my students all wanted me to, and deserved that I, speak English. My 12 year old son, who spoke and wrote Chinese very well took up a lot of slack, and the University provided an interpreter for meetings, shopping, travel, movies, etc. Our second date was at his parents, with a couple of foreign students as interpreters. Turns out he'd had a couple of years of English, but had never had to *use* it before. Bicycling me home after that date he asked for help with his English. I said yes. The courtship progressed for the next several months in my room at the hotel, he with a Chinese/English dictionary on the arm of his chair; me, with an English/Chinese one on the arm of mine. It was actually great fun.

Since initially he did not want to come to the U.S., and I did want to stay in China, we worked more on my Chinese than his English. After a year of working our way through the Chinese bureaucracy, we decided to leave, at least long enough to get him American citizenship, and we switched to working on his English, which became the family language.

Over the 12 years we were married, language occasionally was a problem. More often, cultural differences were: I remember one occasion where he had a tummy ache, and I got him an Alka-Selzer. As soon as I handed it to him, he *exploded*!! Are you trying to KILL me? Huh? Turns out that Chinese believe that cold things hurt your digestive tract. Remade it with hot water, and he was fine. I was still shaken. . . .

Long/short: it's doable.
 prime ribb
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:21:36 AM
At my job, there are a lot of people from different countries. Sometimes I feel like I work at the United Nations. I would occasionally have conversations with them and they would tell me their frustrations with the English language and how one word can have multiple meanings. Then there's slang.

Now I told a buddy of mine about women who are attracted to me who don't speak English. He was like, "As long as you can understand her body language, that's all that should matter." I'm still on the fence about it. The positive part is we can learn from each other as far language and customs go, but the con part is you don't want someone who is too set in their ways that they don't wish to learn English or Spanish or vice versa.

Little kids can pick up a new language easily. Adults are a different story.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:51:20 AM
As someone who speaks three launguages, I can tell you how hard and frustrating it can be when you want to talk to someone. You go thru all the motions trying to explain your self or understand what they are saying. Unless you travel to a diffrent country and try to live there its hard to understand what a person goes thru. I have alot of respect to anyone who moves to a new country not knowing the culture, customes and the launguag.
But for dating I wouldn't date someone who I couldn't talk to at the table. Who can't understand a joke with out me explaining it. When in a relationship talking and understanding each other can make it or break it. Heck you can't even have good sex if you cant understand each other.
 grove_22
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/3/2013 2:46:23 PM
No. It would be very difficult to communicate with someone that doesn't speak English that well.
 LathaMath
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/3/2013 7:44:12 PM
Ask any soldier or sailor posted overseas. They seem to do okay.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:13:04 PM
Been there done that. It's not easy. She was from Brazil so it was Portugese. I did attempt to learn the language. I did pick up a little, but I had a long way to go. She did speak some English, but the language and cultural differences were still prevalent.

I wouldn't say that the language barrier was the cause of the end, but it was a factor. We are still good friends.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/3/2013 11:29:49 PM
I love intelligent conversation and witty banter. Even someone with English as a second language may not understand the nuances of words, puns and quips that make conversation fun. That's a requirement for me.
 Fromkeltocalg
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/3/2013 11:45:43 PM
Depends I think on what you two had in common, but that's the problem determining what you do have in common isn't it?

It can be a bit fun dating someone who speaks English as a second language because when you say something by accident in a way that could be taken poorly they typically don't pick up on it or care.

That said -

The majority of communication is body language, but the most important things are communicated by spoken word. Like I love you and I want to marry you.... so unless you want to teach her English so you two can raise kids together or get married or whatever....

It would seem to me like you two would be dating just for the physical fun.
 RandomFish123
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/4/2013 1:29:49 AM

My question for you all is would you date someone who speaks another language and doesn't know English?

For some men this might be a good thing!

Jokes aside, personally I would not if they did not at least know one of the (3) languages I speak.

Have you been attracted to someone who's a non-English speaker?

Physical attraction perhaps but beyond that would be hard to connect. So the answer is no. ... To me emotional & mental connection comes through by way of language. Expression void of a language that both ppl can understand would simply be lacking for me..... Humor is important as well. ... I'd hate having to try and explain myself everytime I find something funny but he didn't get bc he didn't understand the language.

OutMind
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/4/2013 8:44:42 AM
Teach each other's language. Exchange each other's culture. Cook the other traditional dishes.

I think it's awesome.
 sigungq
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2013 6:00:03 PM
Most of my dance partners have been Russian. As a result I picked up the language pretty well. There were a few of them that I would have dated. OF COURSE, they already had boyfriends though, so we know what happened there.
 Jesselia
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/4/2013 6:06:59 PM
I would. I wouldn't mind learning a new language. It might also be fun. I speak three already anyway.
 abmccray
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 4:52:48 AM
I don't even like dating people with a limited grasp of the English language. Life is a lot less fun with the ability to banter that comes with a more nuanced understanding of a language. It's just not worth it.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 5:36:34 AM
Sure. If that other language is Hungarian..
Haha..
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 7:34:41 AM
Only in America would someone say 'no'.
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:31:39 AM
No, I wouldn't bother. Communication is one of the main ways I become attracted to a person. Physical starts the engine going, but communication is the gas. Without it, I'm going to lose interest. I've been physically attracted to plenty of men that didn't speak English, but sex with them has remained in the realm of fantasy. I don't see any reason to have sex with a guy I'd have no intention of marrying. That's what masturbation is for. *shrug*
 prime ribb
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:39:46 AM

No, I wouldn't bother. Communication is one of the main ways I become attracted to a person. Physical starts the engine going, but communication is the gas. Without it, I'm going to lose interest. I've been physically attracted to plenty of men that didn't speak English, but sex with them has remained in the realm of fantasy. I don't see any reason to have sex with a guy I'd have no intention of marrying. That's what masturbation is for. *shrug*

Plus it's a lot harder without subtitles..lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Would you date someone who speaks another language?