Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lone_wolf1972
Msg: 1
would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
simple question. do you or don't you stay away (relationship wise) from those that believe in a supreme being?

I have never and will never believe in a god and have a hard time grasping the concept of an individual being a supreme being. i find it laughable watching people pray, thanking "him" for all the greatness in their lives but isn't this the same "god" who looks after all the worlds murder victims, victims of famine, victims of natural disaster etc...

if you believe in god then you have to believe in the easter bunny to. I do however believe in extra terrestrial life forms. atleast there's more evidence for that than there is for god.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 2
would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?
Posted: 3/3/2013 5:11:05 PM
someone who believed in god, that's fine, but someone who went to church and relied on ceremonial churchy things I would have trouble with. I just have no patience for that stuff and would have zero intention of joining them or their family. So if they're ok with that, then cool. But it's probably easiest just to stick to fellow atheists. Religion is usually the first thing I see when opening a profile and I typically go on to the next one without looking further.
 CureCurious
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/3/2013 5:21:52 PM
On the flip side to the quesion - being someone iwho believes in God, i would not go for someone who is a staunch atheist. Awkward agnostic *perhaps* but not a dawkin thumpin atheist lmao. And i suggest atheists do not go for theists either.. unless their belief in god isn't really an important thing.
 playnyourgame
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/3/2013 7:45:11 PM
Yes I would date someone that believes in God. However someone whom don't, that would be hard because I was raised believing in God. An atheist and I would not get along, I don't attend church but my believes in GOD are still there.
 RussArtLover
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:32:03 PM
Wouldn't bother me at all. Just because some people misuse religion doesn't make it All a bad thing. More likely she wouldn't date me though because sometimes I can't help pointing out the obvious. Sucks being honest sometimes.
 scribble82
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/3/2013 8:42:14 PM

do you or don't you stay away (relationship wise) from those that believe in a supreme being?

No, but I freely admit that I have no interest in their chosen religion and I absolutely insist that they not try to proselytize or otherwise attempt to convince me of the validity of any particular religion. And admittedly, if I'm being honest, I must admit that the belief in a religion makes me think at least slightly less of that particular person. However, I tend to think of it as a belief that they've never seriously challenged, rather than a chosen persistent belief in something that makes no sense. Although, in some cases, that's obviously wrong.
 J_bird61
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/3/2013 9:02:29 PM
For me it all depends on what they do believe in.

Everyone believes in something and I'd be wanting to know, is it positive or negative.
For instance, you don't believe in God but you rather seem to believe in prejudice. I'd have a hard time with someone who's finding fault with others/prejudging. And people of any/no religion who are self righteous usually bother me as well. I find myself arguing with them over their nasty view of the world and asking them if it actually brings them happiness.
Useless discussions, I've found.
So, for me it's more about character.
 DameWrite
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2013 9:44:27 PM
I wouldn't date someone who BELIEVES in a god but I MIGHT date someone who thinks there MIGHT be a god even though I don't.

I'd prefer to date someone who doesn't believe in any god at all.
 scribble82
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/4/2013 5:43:58 PM
I'm not prejudiced, but I do notice that people who tend to believe in sky fairies tend to believe in other things without evidence, too, like alien encounters and ghosts. I'm not a fan of magical thinking.

Plus, some religious people insist on proselytizing, and I have no patience for that. I also find it annoying when an athlete takes credit from his entire team and gives it to his god. Not only is he not giving himself any credit, but he's taking it away from his teammates.

I marvel at the magnificence of the natural universe on a regular basis, and I think that attributing it to "God" really cheapens it. Have some respect for our amazing universe.
 nipoleon
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 12:44:40 AM
Atheists are not morally superior to the religious.
Atheists can be just as insufferable as any bible thumping preacher.
 DameWrite
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 6:55:01 AM
nipoleon is right, I just prefer the term incorrigible :P

If I'm insufferable, that's your issue. :p
 mark777771
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2013 1:21:25 PM
If they are a religious zealot im not interested. If they go to church on Sundays and Christmas Mass ok. There is so much that makes up a person I dont understand why the problem. Its about who you are and how you treat people. A sense of humour, looks, etc. Lots of atheists and agnostics are good people. Lots of christians are good people. To me it doesnt matter as long as they dont try to push their beliefs on me.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/5/2013 3:06:10 PM

That depends on two things.

How big are her tits and why does she think I am god.
 Lone_wolf1972
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/5/2013 5:59:50 PM
^^^^ made my fvck'n day
 Luthion
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2013 7:06:06 PM
I would not deny myself a relationship with someone based on their faith.

As a practising Buddhist, I understand just how strongly faith can help give one guidance and understanding. In and of itself, faith is a good and very powerful thing. It wouldn't really matter to me how much they were invested in it as long as they were a kind person.

The problem comes when people allow it to dictate their entire existence, in a negative way. When religion is used to justify intolerance, bigotry and hatred. When people immerse themselves in their faith but never actually apply their teachings of kindness in their daily lives. That would bother me.

Believe in what you want to believe. Just be sure it is a positive influence in the lives of others, as well as your own.
 ActualizedExplorer
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 12:47:49 AM
It's a question of whether you value possibility of relationship (if you're looking), or exercising your freedom of choice in beliefs.

if you believe in god then you have to believe in the easter bunny to.

Maybe you're misunderstanding religion.

Reading your post, OP, I get the sense that you're really reactive about religion, and seeks to exert your beliefs over theists. However, if you find other people's practices laughable, I don't know if you'd come off as a person who'd respect the other person.

For a person who doesn't believe in a god, you sure are letting it dictate with whom you date or do not date, haha.
 mark777771
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 3:37:54 AM
Well Arisotle if she does Idol Worship too. If you know what I mean.
 ajmismyname
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:50:31 PM
I believed in god when in elementary school and party while in middle school, but have discounting the catholic teaching taught to me as a child. While I do not dismiss the possibility of a higher power, it's existence is almost unimportant. This potential power does not affect day to day life, except maybe in unverified "miracles," but is possible to have an afterlife. Regardless if god exists or not, as long as I life a life worth living by my own standards, being a good person similar to a karmedic system, I will be awarded justly.

Whether a partner believes or not isn't a deal breaker as long as there isn't pressure to conform to the other's beliefs. However I have not decided if i'll educate my keeps with religion, though will certainly give them their own choice once old enough and encourage them to collect all the facts and information.
 shine1274
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/7/2013 9:14:19 PM
I would as long as there was no attempt to convert me. The problem is that usually happens somewhere along the way.
 PROTON67
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/8/2013 3:44:19 PM
Simply stated, a god is that which gives you your core values and defines right and wrong for you. Everyone believes in a god because everyone has those beliefs. It may be political correctness or it may be your own self or it may be He who created this universe and revealed Himself through Jesus. Whoever or whatever it is, that is your god. Just notice how that as the God of the Bible is being replaced by the antichrists among us, how quickly they come up with principles to live by from some other source. Its why they call celebrities idols. Its why they have super heroes like superman. Its why they have cartoon characters like The Guardians. Everyone has a god within their mind that defines right and wrong for them, that justifies them in what they do, that they spend money upon, that they raise their hands for, that they shout the victory over, that they clap their hands to, that they leap for joy over, that they break into dance over. All of these Biblical forms of worship are inborn in each one of us. The real challenge is to find He who is the one and only true God and follow His precepts and teachings. Good luck with your search.
 _shakti_
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/8/2013 8:39:31 PM
For me the incompatibility I have experienced is all in their stance on exclusivity of truth. When clung to tightly, it usually comes with a heaping supply or arrogance and/or saviour complex.. regardless of whether they are atheist or religious. Funny how the two can often have so much in common, even when diametrically opposed in viewpoint.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/8/2013 8:45:10 PM
Agree with message #17

Believe in what you want to believe. Just be sure it is a positive influence in the lives of others, as well as your own.

While there are certainly Thiests out there who are genuine hypocrits or phonies; there are also Theists who are genuine and true to their beliefs. We just don't hear much about the latter.

Atheists can be very intellectual and clinical about morality but at their core, they have no point of reference other than what has been already laid down in their respect culture largely by Theist societies (that have come & gone).

Just notice how that as the God of the Bible is being replaced by the antichrists among us, how quickly they come up with principles to live by from some other source. Its why they call celebrities idols.

This ^ is the hallmark of Atheism (also embraced by those who are de-facto Atheists)
One never really stops having "faith" they just switch sources.

Just like the song Bob Dylan wrote:

" no matter who you are, or where you are from; you gonna have to SERVE SOMEBODY
it may be the devil or it may be the lord, but you're gonna have to serve somebody"
 AlwaysSmiling401
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:12:15 PM
If they were someone who rejected science definitely not. If they preached about the invisible man in the sky and talking snakes I would not be able to be in the same room as them for very long.
If they kept their fairy tale beliefs to them self then perhaps. If they liked to debate the subject that might be interesting, but could also cause issues. No, I don't think I could date a religious woman.
 SueJ999
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/18/2013 10:43:33 PM
I could not have said it better PROTON. Thanks!
 Proteaus
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/20/2013 1:40:42 PM
Doesn't matter to me either way if a woman I would be with is religious or not , as long as they do not try to force it on me . At one time I had faith but never in my life have I seen any evidence . The older I get the more I believe that religion is merely a form of control conceived by man . for the benefit of those in power in said religion .
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > would you turn down a relationship with someone who believes in a God?