Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Don't you wish ...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gurl_Nxt_Door
Msg: 1
Don't you wish ... Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
That you could edit someone's profile for them once you've met? Say - change their headline or help them more accurately describe themselves?

For example - you could post "Grossly misrepresented self in profile" or "posted face pics only for a reason" or "Ragaholic with ex issues" ? LOL!

A "Grounded Goofball" shouldn't have an anger issue and a "Spiritual student" should not present ego prior to anything else in life...

Some of these "gentlemen" have a delusional idea of who they are and what they represent; and feel they should be able to pull California 10's without a hitch - when they're barely an Arizona 6. ;)

Its a shame we can't clue each other in to save time and drama...

There's enough drama in the world without having to confront it so often on the dating sites.
 brinaalina
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/4/2013 10:41:37 PM
It's unfortunate that this stuff has to happen. I GUESS I can understand more if someone misrepresented how they behave or something, because maybe other people can perceive them differently than they see themselves.
But I HATE (and it happens often) when people lie about their physical appearance even more.
And when they lie about their job or where they live, or stuff that even isn't really that important.
But when I go to meet you and you're 50 pounds heavier than you are in photos and what you tell me, then I'm turning around and leaving.

Like, you really think I wont notice? Lol
Or maybe you think I'll just be so smitten with your personality that I wouldn't notice how completely different you look in real life.
Damn.
But yeah, it's really sad that people feel the need to flat out LIE about everything.
Probably just for attention though. Oh well.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 3
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/4/2013 11:11:38 PM
One man billed himself as 55 years old. When he showed up I thought, "Is this his grandfather?" He admitted to being 74. "It's marketing," he explained. "It's LYING," I retorted.

He established himself as a liar immediately. Great way to start.
 brinaalina
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/4/2013 11:24:22 PM
I don't know if the OP is referring to people misrepresenting their appearances or aspects of their personality.
The personality part, as I stated, is kind of a grey area depending on who you're talking to.
People perceive themselves differently than say, you or I may see them.

But someone blatantly stating that they are tall and athletic build, and they show up and they are 200lbs and shorter than me, is just WRONG and disturbing.
Just be honest and people will like you a lot more :)
 Hearton64
Msg: 5
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 2:39:50 AM

Um no, because that's how they wan't to represent themselves.

If I could have control of that,your profile would be the first one I'd change!

Do you REALLY think that's the best way to attract women here?
 Zuglo65
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 5:32:51 AM

A lot of people don't see themselves as they are

That is very true.
Few extra pounds..Hm..
I think a recent/honest/ no flexing,sucking the stomach in, full body picture solve most of the problems.
 Hearton64
Msg: 7
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 7:46:59 AM
Don't you wish ... That you could edit someone's profile for them once you've met? Say - change their headline or help them more accurately describe themselves.

None of us are 100% honest,nor 100% perfect.

Some of these "gentlemen" have a delusional idea of who they are and what they represent; and feel they should be able to pull California 10's without a hitch - when they're barely an Arizona 6. ;)
Its a shame we can't clue each other in to save time and drama...

I can help you with that so there is no shame. :)

Are you saying that you are out of thier league for some reason?

Truth be told,and to help eradicate your own denial,you are not "average body typed".

Try at least a 'few extra pounds'.I know you are hiding your belly behind that doggie,i truly doubt your tits are still perky at your age, nor your a$$ model perfect.

You,like me are average looking,over weight, and middle aged and are not innocent of misrepresenting yourself either because there is NO way you can be 100% honest about yourself in a profile without intentionally or unintentionally omitting things about yourself that others might consider deal breakers.

We ALL live in a certain amount of self preserving denial and shouldn't look at others in terms of "leagues" as it's stuck up and typically invalid because we are not ALL that and a bag of chips ourselves.

How about YOU list all of your own baggage by taking an honest personal inventory of your own life,looks and personality and THEN judge the "gentlemen" here who you consider to be beneath you and who have the nerve to contact "YOU" of all perfect people.

It's a long fall down from a high horse.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 8
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 9:01:39 AM
Not sure it is necessary to meet someone to have insight into the way they could be described.
After reading a few posts on this thread, "Sanctimonious Prig" would come to mind.
 cmc0526
Msg: 9
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:18:43 AM
This shit happens all the time. Average body type cover a wide variety of meaning. Talked to quite a few women who still have some kind of hang ups on their ex's. There is a reason why they are ex's.
 brinaalina
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 10:22:44 AM
I like the idea of having to post a little video. It completely cuts out pretty much every fake or liar. I guess you can still lie about your looks though if you only shoot the vid from the neck up....Oh well lol.
But I would be down to do that.
And I like the idea of hearing someone's voice before I start talking to them.
That way I have the way they talk already in my head.
And most women are much more responsive to the voice than anything else.
I'm for it!
 Hearton64
Msg: 11
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 1:00:39 PM

After reading a few posts on this thread, "Sanctimonious Prig" would come to mind.

That's exactly what I thought and why I reacted the way I did.

So yeah...add to my list of baggage...I call 'em like I see 'em and can be brutally honest.

If your into that....cool...if not...so what.Move on.
 Green_MK2
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 1:50:16 PM
Sounds like 'someone' was unhappy with her date last night, she drank the cool-aid and got her expectations too high maybe?

As if it's not hard enough to get by on this site, for the average or even 'slightly unconventional' guys, having to live up to the often unreasonable expectations of the female gent, while staying honest enough yet not shooting oneself in the foot; all the while not permitted a single faux-pas.
And now you suggest to add to this some kind of 'rightness police' that would cue other girls, maybe those that are more open to give chances, to NOT DATE this or this one guy... based on perceptions that I can only assume are completely arbitrary.

Sure, what are we waiting for?
 Worbug
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/5/2013 2:40:22 PM
I say let's go for it. Be nice to finally see correct body types for all the ladies. Scary what some seem to think average is, and good lord, the Athletic type would all but dissappear.

And yes, I know I am unnattractive, but they don't have a box for that, YET, but I am average body type.
 Hearton64
Msg: 14
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/6/2013 3:46:18 AM
And yes, I know I am unnattractive, but they don't have a box for that, YET, but I am average body type.

You aren't unattractive to everyone!

You Probably Don't Meet My Standards Either!!!

That sounds very defensive.:(
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 15
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/6/2013 11:55:32 AM
I used to help people out in profile review.
But over time....I realized some people
have bad profiles cus they have serious issues.

So helping them to cover up their issues...
seemed like false advertising.
And not a noble service.

Like a guy who has in his profile
that all women are just mean ho's.
Well....maybe he should keep that in there.

As a warning.
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 16
Don't you wish ...
Posted: 3/6/2013 12:12:42 PM
Just don't date on-line and then what you see is what you get. Of course, you're still stuck with all the stuff you don't see. Hmmm, I guess you're never really stuck. Unless you've sprung for dinner, drinks, coffee, etc., all in the name of thinking you've just met someone great and you'd like to get to know them better and all they wanted was some freebies.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Don't you wish ...