Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Pot Roast in a Crock Pot - how can i get the beef tender?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 raxarsr
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Pot Roast in a Crock Pot - how can i get the beef tender?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
ok......heres the most basic.......put the beef in...the dried onion soup........plus a can of cram of mushroom soup.........plus the water required for both soups........toss in the carrots.....a stalk worth of chopped celery......and potatos if you like........cover the pot......turn it on before you leave for work,,,,,,,let it cook all day.......the longer it cooks...the more tender it becomes

i've never ever had tough meat from a crock pot.........but if it persists.........slice the beef before you cook it
 CharminC
Msg: 6
Pot Roast in a Crock Pot - how can i get the beef tender?
Posted: 3/9/2013 10:42:52 AM
One thing that will dry out meat is salt.
Beef will dry out if there is not much fat content no matter how much water you put in.
Be sure to sear it to seal in the juices.
Perhaps you are cooking it too long?
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/9/2013 5:36:08 PM
i thought that cooking in a crock pot was idiot proof? must be the recipe.

the only thing that could make a roast dry is lack of moisture. you might have a mistake in the recipe that you're using. always add moisture.

try 2 cups of water or broth and cook for 4-6 hours.

k.w.
or mix wine and broth
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/10/2013 11:25:26 PM

Boiled meat is always dry when you take it out of the liquid too soon. Let the crock pot of boiled goodness sit while turned off before you serve.
By a better cut of meat may help too.

that's ridiculous on all levels.

1) you don't boil meat in a crock pot, you braise it
(Braising relies on heat, time, and moisture to break down the tough connective tissue collagen in meat, making it an ideal way to cook tougher cuts. Many classic braised dishes such as coq au vin are highly evolved methods of cooking tough and otherwise unpalatable foods. Pressure cooking and slow cooking (e.g., crockpots) are forms of braising.)

2) if you take it out too soon it won't be dry, it'll will be undercooked and wet.

3) leaving it sit overnight will develop flavors but not by leaving it sit off the heat.

4) when you braise you use the tough cuts. same with bbq. low and slow cooking works awesome on the cheap cuts. you wouldn't braise a prime rib. you don't need too.

k.w/
1/2 out of 4
 Alabamapeg1
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/14/2013 7:56:44 AM
Your problem is the cut of beef you are buying. It needs to have some grains of fat running throughout the cut. If it is too lean it will always be too tough. Try Chuck Roast. It is the best cut.
 ARTSYLADEEEE
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 12:47:23 PM

One really good way to have nice tender meat is to actually add milk to your recipe. the lactic acids will help break down the tough bits of elastin and cartilage. this also works for making a nice smooth meat based pasta sauce.

Not a good idea. Milk will curdle if cooked for long periods of time. Add milk in the last hour of cooking.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/16/2013 12:48:18 AM

Not a good idea. Milk will curdle if cooked for long periods of time. Add milk in the last hour of cooking.

if you can keep the milk at a low simmer it won't curdle. that's why it's called braising not boiling.

the only thing i've ever braised in milk was kippered herring. that's the way my grandparents made it.

k.w.
milk braised pork....blech
 DevilfromToronto
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/17/2013 2:38:16 PM
for pot roasting or roasting a big piece of meat especially beef, it is safer to fry the whole piece of meat in medium hi fire all around so as to seal the juice inside it before you put it in oven or crock pot
 dsljim
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/21/2013 6:10:16 PM
YouTube : "Texas BBQ history " 9:44 minutes Briskit is the tuffest cut, until you cook it slow.
The other problem is no one hangs meat for the required 21 days anymore. 38° in low humidity for 3 weeks.
 BravoGulf
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2013 6:42:44 PM
Lots of good ideas and a few oddball ones here, but there are many ways to cook a pot roast. I'd use a butt, shoulder or blade roast for a basic Pot roast. One can use slightly more costly cuts, but these re about the least expensive. In fact, if you are unfamiliar with beef cuts, one rule of thumb is; buy the cheapest.

I always brown my seasoned meats. Salt will dry out meats, but only in a dry-roast situation. INn some case you may want that to hep create a protective and tasty crust.

Back to pot roast.

I use two cans of beef boullion and two cans of water or whatever it takes to cover the roast after it has been seared. Searing, BTW not only helps lock in the juices, but adds flavour to both the meat and the stock. I will add carrots, whole garlic cloves, celery, a 1/4 cup or so of whole peppercorns, bay leaf, some thyme and bring to a low simmer for at least 4 hours. I then take out the roast, remove the bay leaf, fire up my hand mixer and blend all the stuff still in the pot. The return the meat, add suds, more carrots and celeray and whatever other veg you enjoy and simmer until tender. The spuds will take the longest to cook, so add the veg in stages, carrots next and any other root veg, then celery.

Your roast should not be the least bit dry. You will have a lovely gravy, which you can thicken with a roux or cornstarch if necessary. To do that I remove all the meat and veg and keep warm in the oven.

If there are leftovers, you have the basics for a great stew.

Enjoy.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:07:59 PM
You aren't cooking it right. If you want it quicker than 8-10 hrs on low, then you will need 5-6 hrs on high. For added flavor you can substitute 1 cup of your liquid for whiskey. It will have a slight sweeter smokey flavor.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/21/2013 9:32:20 PM
[quoteYou aren't cooking it right. If you want it quicker than 8-10 hrs on low, then you will need 5-6 hrs on high. For added flavor you can substitute 1 cup of your liquid for whiskey. It will have a slight sweeter smokey flavor.

5-6 hours on low, (depending on what you're cooking) should be plenty of time. you don't want to cook on high. you can actually dry out a roast on high if you aren't careful with watching your liquids.

k.w.
low and slow
 ARTSYLADEEEE
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 2:35:30 PM

you don't want to cook on high. you can actually dry out a roast on high if you aren't careful with watching your liquids.

Maybe that's what she's doing wrong
 theforumfiend
Msg: 21
Posted: 3/22/2013 3:58:58 PM

you don't want to cook on high. you can actually dry out a roast on high if you aren't careful with watching your liquids.

Funny. I do this occasionally have no trouble with it.
 BravoGulf
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2013 9:55:37 AM
You can age meat in your fridge. Google it. Essentially, wrap the cut in several layers of cheesecloth and put on the lowest level of the fridge. One can also age it in the plastic cry-o-vac wrapping. This only works for large cuts in mu view. Recently did it with a whole beef tenderloin. 3 weeks in the plastic. Lovely.

Best meat I ever ate was covered in mold when we hauled the short loin out of the cooler. Lots of waste, but man, the taste!
 HOTROD1955
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/24/2013 3:02:42 PM
Make sure you sear it on both sides. A rump or chuck roast.I just made one using a rump and it out super tender.The secret is 1 can of coke,dried onion soup,veggies,and a cube of beef bouillon. Top off with water just to cover the veggies.You can also put a bay leaf or 2 in it.Let it go all day on low.or 4-6 hrs on high.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2013 7:29:07 PM
I had read here previously to put a can of pop in your crock pot with the roast so I did! lol...put roast, can of diet pepsi and some french onion soup mix together with a bit of water and let it go. I have to say that was one of the best roasts I have ever made! Everyone couldn't get enough of it
 arwen52
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2013 9:02:33 PM
Every time I make pot roast in the crock pot, the potatoes and carrots taste fine but the beef is always dry. I follow the recipe and put in lots of water. I either cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 4 hours, but either way the beef is always dry. I use onion soup mix, too. What do I need to do to get the beef to be tender? Thanks.

I agree with idiot_savant - you are probably using the wrong cut of meat. Also sounds like too high a temperature and possibly for too long.

Actually, it's not as much about the fat as the connective tissue, at least according the McGee, the food scientist who wrote McGee on Cooking. He also suggests not letting the liquid boil i.e. cook on very low temperature. Here are some "rules for pot roast":

http://www.livestrong.com/article/510633-rules-for-cooking-pot-roast/

Cuts of meat used for fast cooking - like steaks - have very little connective tissue. They are tender but dry out quickly. Cuts used for pot roast, like chuck roast, are too tough for fast cooking but ideal for very slow cooking. The connective tissue between the muscle fibers melts with slow cooking. So you may be using too "good" a cut of meat. Keep it whole, don't cut it into pieces. Don't overcook - cook til it falls apart when you separate the fibers with a fork, then quit. Mine usually takes about 4 hours.

I don't use much liquid when I make pot roast. I make it the way I learned from my northern Italian grandmother. Lots of finely chopped onion, a little bit of garlic, and a generous portion of oregano. Just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot, maybe 1/2" or a little more, maybe a little red wine. Slow cook for a few hours until it falls apart easily. The onions will become soft and gushy, make like a gravy. Yummy.

I agree the milk idea sounds disgusting.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 9:46:43 AM
I haven't been comfortable using a crock pot ... but DID make apple butter using mine
recently and that worked ... after 52 hours, I had pretty good apple butter!!

SOOO ... got up about 6:00 a.m. or so ... using a "Spencer Steak" or "London Broil,"
depending on what it's called locally ... I seared the steak on ALL sides in a teeny bit
of oil ... seasoned it with salt and seasoned pepper ... then dumped a bunch of carrots
into the crock pot ... stuffed in the steak ... it was a tight fit ... put 2 quartered potatoes
over the steak cuz they wouldn't fit BESIDE it ... some green beans ... used 3/4 cup of
water to clean up the steak bits from the skillet I'd browned the meat in ... then added
a pkg. of Lipton's onion soup mix ... poured this mixture over the steak and veggies ...
turned the crock pot to "high" and intend to let it cook all day ... I'm going to my writers'
group from 1:00 to 3:30 so will leave it set on "low" during that period ... dinner to be
served maybe 6:30 tonight ...

so ... what have I already done wrong other than the steak is too lean??? the person I'm
preparing this for requested "stringy roast beef," apparently something his mother
made ...
 raxarsr
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 11:15:04 AM
not really anything molly.............though i think i would have added cream of mushroom soup and some mushrooms..............you might want to add more liquid.........either water.......maybe some dry red wine

the best way to get "stringy" roast beef is to use an eye of round roast...............or a venison neck roast
 _babblefish
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/24/2013 4:17:45 PM

Sometimes, it's not how you cook it, it's how you slice it. If you don't slice it against the grain, you will have tough meat.

this bears repeating ^^^^

* introducing an acid (marinade or during cooking) is what tenderizes meat:

Acidic molecules in fruits, vegetables and vinegar break down and soften the connctive tissue in meat over time. The alcohol in wine works in much the same way, but it is not as effective as stronger acids ..

although i'd rather drink beer, it works as well
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2013 10:11:39 PM
arwen is the most correct of all the responses I've read.

The secret of a good pot roast is a cheap piece of meat (really, leave the better cuts for the grill) cooked for a long time to break down the connective tissue. Connective tissue starts breaking down around 200 degrees F, but you don't want to arrive at that temp too quickly.
Searing adds flavor.
Brining can add a "salty" flavor and can facilitate some tenderness and moistness as the process of brining (dry rub, etc) causes some denaturing of proteins in the outer layers of the meat (works best with birds) that facilitates entrapment of water.
slow roasting does not require a lot of starting liquid in the pot as the process of roasting in a sealed cooker adds liquid to the pot.
Add veggies about halfway through cooking - otherwise they get too mushy; add onions etc. first, then roots next, and softer veggies like taters last. Experiment to determine what you like.

I don't use a crockpot much - I much prefer to use my brassier with the lid on cooking at a low temp >300 for long periods. Even a brisket comes out tender and fall apart good.

TK
 Molly Maude
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/24/2013 10:13:49 PM
Paul was right in that I stuffed the crock pot too full of the steak ... I also did not
add enough liquid early on ... I added more later ... AND I added the veggies way
too early ... nevertheless, it turned out to be wonderful! could have had more liquid
... but it was still great!

toward the end of cooking, I added some potatoes and even a sweet potato from
my garden ... which added a bit of fun!

I'm still learning how to use a crock pot ...
 raxarsr
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2013 1:41:43 PM
i'm glad it turned out molly..was wondering about it

i think you'll grow to love your crock pot.............its a huge time and labor saver.....not to mention............the end results are usually delicious
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Pot Roast in a Crock Pot - how can i get the beef tender?