Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Instant Old Age      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mitchozie
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Instant Old AgePage 1 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
What if there were a war, and you could convince your enemy to take a pill, which would disable him? It sounds like the perfect secret weapon, doesn't it?
Well, there is a war being waged against the public, and that weapon does exist.

Let me explain how the weapon works. It causes fatigue, if you take this pill, you won't feel like exercising. It causes balance problems, you will find it difficult to walk in a straight line. It causes, "brain fog", you won't be able to think clearly about the physical problems you have suddenly acquired. It causes muscle pain, if it is in a leg, you will have to walk with a limp. and, finally, it puts you at risk of other diseases, like diabetes, and heart disease.

Well, believe it or not, this pill/weapon does exist, and it has been used against millions of Americans. The name of this weapon is, "Statins". The irony lies in the fact that this pill can actually cause the disease that it is supposed to prevent, heart disease. I speak from personal experience, and I suffered the ailments I have outlined. I used to walk around the block, a couple of times a day for exercise. After a few months on statins, I found that I would have to stop to rest before I could complete one trip. My memory began to fade, and my deteriorating balance caused me to walk like an old man.

When I developed unexplained muscle pains in my leg, I decided that the statins had to go. After a few weeks, I felt my mind clearing, and my strength returning. Now, just a few months later, I feel so much better (like my pre-statin self). Now, for those of you who feel that your doctor would never prescribe a drug that would harm you, all I can say is, do your own research. Better yet, if you take a statin drug, try going without it, for awhile. If your health improves, thank me. If it doesn't, and you feel the need for approval, go back to poisoning yourself.
 mitchozie
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/9/2013 12:52:19 AM
Vox,

You either work for a pharmaceutical company, or you're just ignorant. Maybe both.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/9/2013 3:17:34 AM
These are known side effects, which physicians should be watching for. To those who do not get these side effects, the drugs are life-savers AND can help them feel much younger and healthier.

Many people who get problems with one statin do very well on others; for some people, even a couple of years on statin therapy will make a huge difference in their long-term survival. There is extensive research supporting the cost/benefit analysis, and Atorvastatin is now generic and affordable.

I certainly agree that Big Pharma has pushed their use without regard to consequences, but the pool of users is huge and the benefit is huge. Not all doctors are incapable of monitoring their patients' best interests.

ED BEAR

Some people find having children makes their lives incredible fountains of joy; others feel their health and lives have been ruined. Hardly surprising to find that out about anything in this world.
 satx78218
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/9/2013 7:42:14 AM
cholesterol and its statin "fix" (just happens to be extremely lucrative for BigPharma) are total scams
 mitchozie
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/9/2013 9:35:55 AM
I took the time to do my own research, and these drugs don't, "cure", anything. Big Pharma can, and does pay for, "research", that supports their claims, but that doesn't make it true. A lot of people stop taking statin drugs, because of the side effects. You don't have to believe me, but if you're taking a statin, and your physical health has deteriorated, you should try going without it, for awhile. If your health improves, then you'll know that I was right.
 Albvs
Msg: 6
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/9/2013 6:42:54 PM
If anyone I know is contemplating filling a prescription as given to them I always go online and do a Google search to find out what side effects and problems people are complaining about (not the ones your doctor might have mentioned).

There are forums where people discuss the drugs they're taking and what new problems they're having.

Honestly, your body is usually capable of fixing itself. Eat a good diet, drink enough water, take a multi-vitamin with iron and see if things get better. Exercise a little every day. Do a little research about whatever it is you might have and what minerals, vitamins and natural things go into your body's own cure.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 7
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:02:50 PM
@Mit

You don't have to believe me, but if you're taking a statin, and your physical health has deteriorated, you should try going without it, for awhile. If your health improves, then you'll know that I was right.

Statins are not for everybody!
What you described above shows that you are STATIN intolerant; you are not alone, but you are in the minority!

The majority of folks do just fine with them (at average doses); having few if any ill effects.
The LONG term benefits of statin use is well established by the scientific community all over the world
Its one of the few drugs around that actually alters the course of coronary heart disease, and has either prevented or lessened heart attacks and strokes episodes for those at risk.
Unfortunately there are no great substitutes for this class of drugs, at least not yet.
Diet & exercise is helpful but not for those who are genetically inclined to have high cholesterol

As far as "cures" are concerned,
There are few chronic diseases that can actually be cured; most can only be controlled
Whether this is by intention or due to limitations in advancements is a whole other story that is out of our hands.
 mitchozie
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/10/2013 9:06:19 PM
Yule, you don't know what you're talking about. What, "scientific community", are you referring to?

Stains are over-prescribed, and an outright danger to many people.

Look here, then do your own research:

http://www.healthiertalk.com/emerging-truth-about-dangers-statins-3629
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 9
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/10/2013 10:45:30 PM
@Mit

You put up a link (and blog column) written by some joker (who isn't even an MD) who has his own agenda to push; and you expect to be taken seriously????? This article of yours is NOT a research paper; the info in it, isn't worth a sheet of used toilet paper. Man, get a grip!

Naturally this guy is gonna slam Statins because that isn't what he can sell you; and if you are that naive then I can only pity folks like you.

If you are really interested in knowing FACTS (rather than jibberish) let me start you off with the following:

www.uptodate.com/contents/clinical-trials-of-cholesterol-lowering-in-patients-with-coronary-heart-disease

This is a REAL medically based source where the info is peer reviewed and references provided(including other related clinical trials)by medical doctors in the research field over many years.

Now,
If you are asking if these drugs are "over prescribed" the answer is probably YES; big pharma is pushing them
If you are asking if these drugs can have intolerable side effects with some pple; the answer is YES.

But this doesn't mean that these drugs are either bad for everyone; or ineffective, or dangerous. All drugs have side effects inherent in one way or another. There are pple out there who can't tolerate aspirin or tylenol!
 mitchozie
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/10/2013 11:56:00 PM
It's simple, statins lower cholesterol, but can have dangerous side effects. High cholesterol, by itself, does not cause heart disease, but may be a contributing factor. Many people with low cholesterol levels die from heart disease. Getting back to my original post, I stated that if you were suffering from some of the side effects, you might want to give up the statins. Now, if you want to defend putting your health at risk, go ahead.
 mitchozie
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/11/2013 7:46:55 AM
I wanted to add one more point, since Yule claimed that the author of the article I referenced, was not an MD.

Here is the author's professional resume:

http://www.dreliaz.org/meet/professional-resume/

Again, Yule does not know what he's talking about.
 TimeforAChange48
Msg: 12
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/11/2013 10:07:23 AM
Here's a consideration, your lifestyle is what lead you to that pill. So who is that really put your health at risk initially ? You.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 13
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/11/2013 8:16:23 PM
@Mit

It's simple, statins lower cholesterol, but can have dangerous side effects.

I'm not disagreeing with you on this; so if you can't tolerate them then don't take them. But this should only apply to you and others like you!

High cholesterol, by itself, does not cause heart disease, but may be a contributing factor.

You are talking straight out of your butt!
Look up the "Framingham heart study" a study which began back in 1948 and is still ongoing. To get an overview of it, look at the Wikipedia synopsis. To argue that high cholesterol doesn't cause heart disease is like arguing that the earth isn't really round! There is a HUGE body of evidence to correlate high cholesterol with heart disease, as there is with high blood pressure and diabetes.

Many people with low cholesterol levels die from heart disease.

You are now referring to a select group of pple who have different genetic issues a work that is placing them at risk for heart trouble. An example is young pple who die suddenly from irregular heart beats or rhythms.

Getting back to my original post, I stated that if you were suffering from some of the side effects, you might want to give up the statins. Now, if you want to defend putting your health at risk, go ahead.

As I said, if you can't tolerate the side effects then don't take them. Its that simple, but what applies to you doesn't always apply to everybody else.

Here is the author's professional resume:

All the better; now I fully realize how this guy got to be a "snake oil" pusher that he is!
With an MD degree, he has more credibility so more unsuspecting and naive folks are far more willing to listen to his nonsense.

But hey; If you can't tolerate statins; and what this guy is selling you is working to keep your cholesterol down, then more power to you!

Again, Yule does not know what he's talking about.

Sure; I just gave you references to solid and legitimate studies concerning the cause & treatment of heart disease that has been accepted all around the world, and proven/replicated by multiple studies and researchers but YOU SAY, "I don't know what I'm talking about."

Man, all the hustlers out there could only dream of having a room full of folks like you, eating right out of their hand!
 mitchozie
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/11/2013 11:29:27 PM
Yule,

I see you're in New York City. I was born, raised, and educated in New York (Bronx High School of Science, and CCNY). I learned, a long time ago that people who need experts to tell them how to lead their lives, and people who believe everything they read in, "studies", or the mainstream media, or your favorite, "Wikepedia", are not necessarily valid sources of information. I started this thread to share my personal experience with statins, and at no point did I say that it would apply to everyone. I will re-state this, so that even you may understand. 1) I felt fine, 2) my doctor persuaded me to take a statin, to lower my cholesterol readings, 3) my health deteriorated, 4) I stopped taking the statins, 5) my health improved, and once again I feel fine. I see that, like a lot of people, you prefer to make ad hominem attacks to support your arguments. Good luck with that.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 2:31:41 AM
So many myths about cholesterol.
Triglycerides ( caused by sugars/processed flours/grains) not fat........ store and cant dissolve in blood.

Cut out sugars/pastas/ simple carbs/beer and other insulin spiking foods/drinks and they can go from 300 to 30 easy.
Cut way back and numbers lower.

I had one man with a tri score of 600. WTH?? He drank a lot and ate breads/rice /cereals everyday.
Yet not over weight.
I had to see the paperwork to beleive him..

HDL or total numbers are an inaccurate heart health measure.
Inflammation score is much more of a health indicator of many things including heart health CRP is a good indicator of inflammation
Cholesterol is not a health indicator in most except triglycerides..imo

Ratio HDL/LDL is more important than any total score KNOW IT.Eat good fats..that will change your ratio quickly also
Low cholesterol is dangerous esp over 60.
read more from Yale study about this and other facts on cholesterol

http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiovascular-disease/benefits-of-high-cholesterol
 mitchozie
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 8:02:50 AM
Thanks Peppermint,

I'll bet you understand how difficult it is, to pry open a closed mind.
 Hozo
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 1:28:30 PM
Some side effects from statins are muscle fatigue, weakness and connective tissue disorder. The last is a serious side effect, which I believe you suffer from. It mimics muscle breakdown as if you are elderly.

What are you prescribed? The older generation lipophilic statins like Lovostatin & Lipitor are high-dosage statins and have more of these side effects. Newer hydrophilic statins such as Crestor work a bit differently, and are very low dose as compared. There are less side effects, plus they work as good or better at lower mg. doses

I will give you an example: I was prescribed statins about 10 years ago due to abnormal hdl/ldl/triglycerides/total cholesterol. I was apprehensive about taking them. My MD prescribed Crestor(newer low dose). I insisted on the lowest dosage, so he prescribed 10 mg. tablets once per day.

Without telling my MD, I proceeded to cut the 10 mg. tablets into 4 pieces(2.5 mg each). I took 1/4 tablet daily. My next blood test 3 months later showed ALL numbers in line and normal with 1/4 of the lowest prescribed dosage.

My suggestion to anyone taking statins is to forgo the older generation statins, which can dose up to 80 mg. or more, and switch to the newer low dose statins. Take the smallest dosage possible. You may not even need the smallest prescribed dosage.
 mitchozie
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 2:09:48 PM
Hozo,

My doctor gave me a sample of Crestor (10mg) a couple of years ago. I took it for 3 days, and thought I was going to die! LOL. I refused to continue with it, and he switched me to simvastatin (which I quit, over 6 months ago). I did a lot of reading, and internet research, before deciding to give up statins. Now I feel as good as I felt, before starting on that journey.
 Just___Jim
Msg: 19
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 3:34:16 PM
Here's a consideration, your lifestyle is what lead you to that pill. So who is that really put your health at risk initially ? You.

Hey now TimedforAChange48, you going to put a lot a folks out of business talking like that here! lol

imo, most know what they have to do in lifestyle changes, but most would rather not cuz.....................you fill in the blanks......

cuz the real illness is why they won't. cheers
 Hozo
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 7:19:04 PM
Mitch, I see. You are severely intolerant to both Lipophilic or Hydrophilic Statins! Your experience with Crestor, even at 10 mg. shows the potency of Hydrophilic Statins and the related side effects. You would have been wise to fraction the dose as small as possible. I bet 1 mg of Crestor would have worked for you, but alas, you cannot practically cut a tablet small enough to get 1 mg.

Another myth is that it must be taken daily. Not true....once you establish acceptable LDL/HDL numbers, you can dose every other day, or even just 2-3 times per week with a fraction of the prescribed dose. This is what I do.

These drugs are very powerful and as you describe, can be detrimental to your health. Low dose as low as possible, and do not dose daily!
 Celje
Msg: 21
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/12/2013 8:41:43 PM
Eat a carrot or two
 racheone
Msg: 22
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:07:36 PM
Mitchozie is right! My aunt has diabetes and they put her on a drug called "Avandia"and it almost killed her.Her heart is just now functioning at 50%.IF you listen at all the class action lawsuits on TV for drugs it scares the heck out of ya. The pharmaceutical companies have killed more people than they have helped in my opinion.
 racheone
Msg: 23
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/13/2013 4:21:38 PM
PS: she is also on LIPITOR and suffers from everything Mitchozie described here.She stopped the Avandia
 sunriseguy5
Msg: 24
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/13/2013 5:45:57 PM
Control your diet, drink at least 10 cups of water a day, do cardio exercise for 1 hr a day (like walking for an hour), some body conditioning exercise with light weights and get plenty of rest and most health aliments will go away.
How do I know?
Because I used to have cholesterol problems, LDL high, HDL low and was slightly overweight at 202 pounds. The doctor prescribed me medicine to take for these health problems and after taking the medicine for a few days, my kidneys hurt. I went back to the doctor and told him about it and asked if there is an alternative to the medicine and he said exercise, diet , drink plenty of water and rest when needed. It worked. That was 8 years ago. I am now healthy, in peak form and have good HDL, low LDL and NO cholesterol problems and I am in shape ( weigh 174lbs) and feeling healthy.

My answer to fatigue is get enough rest.
 mitchozie
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Instant Old Age
Posted: 3/14/2013 1:17:47 AM
Racheone,

You may want to share this article with her:

http://www.drz.org//NL/Lipitor_CoQ10_OL_1.9.09.htm#2
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Instant Old Age