Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Gave me the creeps      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 horses44
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Gave me the creepsPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
So I was looking at another dating site that I am on and see that a gentleman has looked at my profile, take a look and shocked to see that he has cut and paste my profile - and I just thought ewwwww, while on a very small scale, it does feel like a violation. I have seen where people place in their profiles warning of copying and pasting - I get people doing that but for a dating site I personally wouldn't, now if I were writing something similar to the Harry Potter series :)

I sent him a "crisp" note - something along the lines of "so I am gathering that you are so unimaginative that you have to cut and paste other people's profiles, you must be a delight meeting in real person, do you have a script in front of you and hope to God the person across from you doesn't flub their lines?"

Anyhow, just a rant for a Sunday morning
 Petraeus
Msg: 2
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:18:26 AM
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

ADVICE: stop being so stuck up and relax
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 3
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:22:29 AM
Do they... hmmm, possibly not. I was about to ask if they have an option for you to report that, then it occurred to me, how would they know who wrote it first? Well, maybe from update timestamps. Worth a try.

This happens a lot to the better-written profiles. People who know they can't write will just lift it. I find it less than ethical, and fully understand the invaded feeling, but I have to give them some credit for being clever enough to know their limitations. I mean, look at the dreck churned out by those who don't know they're no good at this! Eek.

Tell me he at least changed the pronouns!
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 4
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:27:51 AM
Well it is a mighty good profile. . . and yeah, creepy, too. How'd you like the be the woman dating the man who stole another woman's profile? haha. Clever of him to steal from a woman, though, b/c most women don't read other women's profiles, right?

Imitation by an adult isn't really a compliment b/c the imitator does it for gain or self-aggrandizement. Modeling yourself after someone you admire is one thing; flat out stealing from them is another.

The good news is, his theft does not detract from your marvelous self!
 horses44
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:28:38 AM
Helen I hear ya...and I was hopeful that he had flubbed some of he/she stuff, but he did change the pronouns :)
 BLONDE_ANGEL845
Msg: 6
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:32:20 AM
If ur gonna steal an ad, do it from someone who lives at least 1,000 miles away...

Somewhere on the west coast, perchance is my doppleganger...if someone wants to use my ad, I wish them luck...
 horses44
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:36:35 AM
Thank you for the kind words DMZ, I appreciate it, I do like to write and think I am proficient in that department - I also like what you said - you get to a certain age and if you are so unsure of yourself that you have to copy another profile

Now a thought just crossed my mind, if a gentleman contacted me first and said hi I like what you wrote, do you mind if I cut and paste to my profile - that to me would be a compliment
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 8
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:43:52 AM

Now a thought just crossed my mind, if a gentleman contacted me first and said hi I like what you wrote, do you mind if I cut and paste to my profile - that to me would be a compliment

Yes, if they ask, it's nice and leaves one feeling quite chuffed. My last profile, as a former member, included a paragraph about my medical disability, and apparently I did a good job on that - several people wrote to ask if they could use it in regard to their own health issues. Of course I said yes to all! And I was quite pleased to be asked, really puffed me up a bit. Now if only I had any idea anymore what it said, myself...

Not asking and just taking, though, bit weird, at best.
 Paderic
Msg: 9
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:48:09 AM
So I was looking at another dating site that I am on and see that a gentleman has looked at my profile, take a look and shocked to see that he has cut and paste my profile -

I don't understand. How do you know who copied your profile? How do you know it was a man?

Unless you're saying he copied some of the verbiage and didn't use your pictures.
 horses44
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 8:57:02 AM
Well, this gentleman looked at my profile, when I looked at his he had cut and paste all of my written profile...now if he copied my pictures too that would be uber creepy, ESPECIALLY if he were trying to meet a gal :)
 Zuglo65
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 9:11:44 AM
Well I really liked those "If you are looking for's..
Is it still stealing if I ask for permission to use it in my profile?
LOL
 horses44
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 9:36:27 AM
You most certainly can..as I stole it myself :) - not from POF, I read it on some random blog. I also did a "disclaimer" that I didn't write it...and it was so long ago that I "permanently borrowed that phrase" I cannot remember if there was an author listed or not
 tnt144
Msg: 13
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 9:57:14 AM
Many of the new start-up dating sites steal profiles to make fake ones for their sites in order to make the site look populated, to fill the shelves, so to speak.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 10:28:50 AM

You most certainly can..

Thanks..Consider it stolen..errr..permanently borrowed..Changed it a little..
I been trying to describe what I am looking for, and it's perfect.
 spot4username
Msg: 15
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 11:12:30 AM
Several years ago I went out with this guy. There was no connection. A year or so ago he sent me a message about how much he liked my profile and wanted to meet me. I reminded him who I was (in his defense my hair was a diff color) and that we had already met. We had a nice exchange and he said that he had just really felt a connection with my profile as it was him to a tee. With my permission - not that he needed it, this is the internets - he copied my profile exactly only changing anything that related to gender. We stayed in touch and apparently it was quite successful for him. Go figure. :)
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 16
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 12:57:10 PM

“Rational” is an adjective meaning “reasonable” or “logical”: “Ivan made a rational decision to sell his old car when he moved to New York.” “Rational” rhymes with “national.”

“Rationale” is a noun which most often means “underlying reason”: “His rationale for this decision was that it would cost more to pay for parking than the car was worth.” “Rationale” rhymes with “passion pal.”

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/rational.html

Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 17
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 1:37:56 PM
And you felt the need to create yet another "man bashing" thread here...????
 horses44
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 2:28:11 PM
Yes Travis I did, I felt it was of vital importance to get my message out - all men are awful

But to keep the peace, women are quite capable of cutting and pasting profiles as well - so that makes women just as awful

Good grief
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 19
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 3:16:22 PM
Good grief indeed...
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 20
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 3:29:54 PM
But thank you for displaying a number of "Red Flags" for the forum users to see.
 Belluvthebawl
Msg: 21
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 3:54:58 PM
Travis needs a nap!!!
 horses44
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 4:21:33 PM
Belle I believe you are correct, but to be completely fair I must bash women as well ~ women need naps too ;)
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 23
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 4:39:35 PM
Fairness (even playful turnabout) doesnt enter into it.

Travis - OP didn't bash men (nonspecific, plural), she stated one specific man on another website stole her profile (that she'd stolen - but at least noted that.

But I could use a nap anyway.

Edit: Now OP if you asked whether this guy copy/pasting your profile meant you were soul mates, you're really see Travis's copy/paste skills.
 Keeper_of_Secrets
Msg: 24
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 4:53:38 PM
So in other words a waste of time to read and reply to...
No nap required here, I am ugly as sin.
However some here need more beauty sleep...
Wait...
Arrrrgh.
... I fell for a troll thread...
I'm out.
 deere_rancher
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Gave me the creeps
Posted: 3/10/2013 5:47:19 PM
OP...I understand that it may be a little creepy
Unless you can show , where you been damaged , financially or otherwise