Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Why don't cool, nice looking guys message me?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 2
Why don't cool, nice looking guys message me?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I think the main photo isn't doing you any favours, it's kind of scary. Maybe change it for the mountain one or the furry hood one, or take a new one with a smile?
Hmm dunno about the rest, looks fine to me. I would suggest being proactive rather than waiting for guys to message you, go get em.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 4
Why don't cool, nice looking guys message me?
Posted: 3/15/2013 3:54:52 AM
Yeah, you don't really look like an athletic body type in that pic either. In fact I would remove it completely.
I guess just keep up the messaging... and if you think getting a response is hard, think what it's like for us guys!

Best type of message is short but engaging, one that starts a conversation and makes replying easy. For example if you messaged me you might say "Hey I see you like skiing, me too! Have you been away this year?". Then I can quite easily reply yeah I went to Italy it was cool, how about you? or something like that. Avoid any message that looks like it could be copied/pasted such as "hey how you doing?" or "I like your profile check mine out" etc.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/15/2013 5:00:59 AM
10% is an extremely good response rate, when guys messages to women. That's when you have a good profile, great pictures, good message based on profile content, etc. And a lot of luck of course. I don't know the stats for women messaging guys.

And yeah been on here a week and suddenly an expert ioniancat? And able to tell us all the "reality" of the situation? Lol :) You really should make your own profile review thread.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 5:14:49 AM
You don't look or sound exactly main stream, so you're catering to a niche market. Expect it to take a while.

It took me 3.5 years on here to find my love, or rather, for him to find me, and we've been very happy and real together for over two years now.

I would never have met him IRL. Don't give up.

I do believe that you would benefit from more and better pictures that show what you look like better. Guys are visual, even the cool, nice-looking ones. And they can afford to be picky. So, use this medium to best advantage.
 4utheworld
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 6:34:24 AM
In my humble opinion, the second photo doesn’t make look feminine, and the hood photo is not good. Upload pictures with dressy outfits and full body shots make yourself pretty and sexy. You should appear in all your photos. Smile. Come on! You can upload up to eight photos.

Write a few short paragraphs describing yourself little bit better and what type of guy are you looking for.

Good luck!
 Vox_Populi
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/15/2013 11:40:43 AM
Most cool guys nowadays are looking for a girl who does recreational drugs and gets drunk often as well. Maybe you should put that you drink and do drugs on your profile. It will definitely increase the number of messages you get.

Also, change what you're looking for to "hang out". Then once they start hanging out with you, trap them in a relationship by getting pregnant or something. It worked for me once, until I realized I was just developing a beer belly, and wasn't pregnant after all.
 zaxx1953
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 12:16:42 PM
Gonna keep it totally 100% with you right now...

You picked that profile pic because it makes you appear to be younger looking than you are. It is so shiny you can't even discern where your nose begins/ends much less make out fine lines or wrinkles.

People (well, most) know what you are up to and the jig is up when they see a women in here mid/late 30s in the other pics. Also, you said in another thread that "normal" body types tended to make you feel like the person was really overweight and sort of soft-selling it. Well, you are putting "athletic" without any real evidence that that is in fact your body type. If you look at pic #3 you have some body fat....not enough to call you overweight, but enough to be safely outside what I would classify as "athletically" built for a women. Athletic to me should include a great deal of muscle tone/definition and i'm not seeing it.

Also, just all around it seems like you are styling yourself as someone younger than you are....just a bit. You don't need to radically change your style, but it might be time to grown folk it up a bit since you are moving into your late 30s.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/15/2013 12:31:23 PM
Frankly, you sound like a lot of work.

I get what you were aiming at there, but even active, nerdy guys are going to see a marathon or ten hour LOTR's marathon as more chore than fun date. Don't get rid of the hardcore stuff, just soften it with less grueling activities or attributes.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 2:17:25 PM
Much better pictures! Good job, OP.

I would also rotate them on a weekly basis, and get friends to take new ones regularly.

And ... be patient, but don't give up. You have nothing to lose.
 zaxx1953
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 3:45:21 PM
"For some reason, Zaxx is convinced that I am ashamed of my age"

Actually 3/4 men mentioned it in this thread, so....

Just keeping things accurate.
 You go first
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/15/2013 6:29:11 PM
You can't try on dorky outfits at Zellers anymore now that they're closed and remodelling as a Target. You may want to change that...

You indicate you're looking for Long Term, but don't describe the type of guy you'd like to meet. What kind of personality? temperment? energy level? OK with someone with kids? of any ethnicity?

When I was looking, I had an 80-85% response rate, but I'm also in a completely different demographic. Intro messages were short, specific to one topic in his profile, light humoured, and had only one question so there was an easy way to respond if he chooses.

There are a lot of PoF events in our area - check out the BC Forums page and events page for upcoming pubnights, etc.
 Atom_82
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2013 6:57:55 AM
ioniancat21,
I couldn't agree with you more. The first couple days I got excited because there are so many new women. Now, I'm not a prince, but I would like to believe I could get at least one response back out of 50 emails sent out. I've used every method I could imagine. In my area I've just about run out of women to send a message to and that is not due to high standards. No response period. Not even a no thanks, you're not my type, a simple answer to a simple question. I asked one woman what kind of dog she had in her pic. How hard is it to give an answer to that. Even though I am looking, I do want to make some friends. I can't help but wonder if most are the men on here are such jerks that they ruined it for everyone else.
 cramer78
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/17/2013 12:12:25 AM
if I lived in canada i would have messaged you in an instant.
 LathaMath
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/17/2013 4:33:30 PM
I'd say the lack of a good full length photo might be it. The empire style dress is usually to hide the figure, especially during pregnancy?
 You go first
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/17/2013 6:36:59 PM

I've not actually been to Maple Ridge yet, but I hear it's nice.

Yes, some of the most beautiful and intelligent women in the world live there... just sayin'...
 CasOliii
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/17/2013 7:18:50 PM
2nd photo is really bad, make the 4th pic your main photo and maybe delete the last one...spread legs may just land you with one night stand kinda guys
 troutlily
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 9:31:11 PM
Hello, I see the same thing happening to me.I now try to concentrate on NOT the best looking
men but men that might have more substance . Its sad
how many of us need to have beautiful looking mates inorder to fill good about ourselves. What
happens when these beautiful people become aging beauties will our counterparts enjoy us
more or less? Or will their perceptions of who they want to share their lives with change as they
age?
 Daytripper0420
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2013 10:46:07 PM
You have Space for 8 photos use all spaces, I like your main. Could be because i'm partial to red heads. Also my first message would reflect your photo of you working with the silks. Your interest work well, however your about me seem a little to generic.
Also thousands of people use this site, so millions of messages go soaring across this site daily. Keep Fishing & showing off that genuine smile..
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > Why don't cool, nice looking guys message me?