Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Movie: The Life of Pi      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Movie: The Life of PiPage 1 of 1    
If you haven't seen it, I would suggest NOT watching it if you think deeply and don't like considering the darker sides of humans. It throws in a suggestion in the end of the movie that the story is not what it first appeared to be.

The result is reviewing the movie (in your head) noticing not only the major implications (which are gruesome), but also all of the little symbolism related to what the person went through psychologically and in dealing with those "demons" from the alternate (option) ending.

It will 'stay with you' after you see it, and with no purpose but to have an understanding and to feel the trauma he sustained.

It is an excellent movie in that it provokes you in the way that literature can, but it leaves you with nothing to consider but the traumas and darkness of life (IMO).

Agree? Opinions?
 SugahPunkin
Msg: 2
Movie: The Life of Pi
Posted: 3/15/2013 12:21:40 PM
I havent seen the movie.
I rarely see a movie if I dont even like the trailers beforehand and I kinda do a search through of critics before going.
The only two films Ive seen without doing this beforehand is The Sixth Sense and Inception. LOVED the Sixth Sense HATED Inception. Only maybe 15 minutes into it I wanted my money back. My girl friend wanted to see Inception and dragged me along. I just hated it. It was like yea yea I get it.. down the mountain, falling in the water... yea yea.. deeper into the mind we go. I get it.. get on with it... it was so horribly slow to me and I just didnt care about the movie.
The Sixth Sense I had NO IDEA he was dead until the wedding ring cirlced on the floor. I was amazed at the movie. But have no want or need to even see it again.
Some movies stick with you. But not always in a good way. I wont see PI now at all.. Thanks for letting me know ahead of time.
I dont like horror movies so I never worry when rated R. I pretty much know I dont really care to see it but here this movie I think is rated PG. Yet, for you it is disturbing. Another reason why you have to actually read about a movie before seeing it. I havent read the book. I dont do horror books either.
Its like the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. My frend has a 19 year old daughter and had never seen R rated movies. She was dating a new fella and he wanted to see the movie. THAT was her first R rated movie which has a rape scene and a revenge scene. She was sickened and vomitted in the bathroom it upset her so much. They left the movie early. She came home and told her mom crying about it. It bothered her so.
I was mentioning the movie at work and how I wanted to see it from the trailer I saw on tv when she told me about what happened to her daughter while watching the movie. Because she knew I didnt DO that kind of movies she told me about the scenes. I thought WHY would I want to go and pay my money to see that?? I wasnt aware of the book or really what the movie was about. I am glad she told me altho upset about what happened to her daughter. She too had no clue what the book or movie was about. She thought she was going to do the grownup thing of seeing an R movie..
If that is being adult, then no I dont want to see that. I think our minds play enough of the scare scene without actually paying others to see that kind of thing. That to me is not entertainment but it IS to some. So to each their own.
I prefer watching Agatha Christie Ms Marple movies on youtube.LOL>. that is more my speed. LOL

I wish I had more insight about your movie without having to watch it. I did look up critcs ideas about it. Very disturbing thoughts and comments about the movie I must say.
But then isnt always thought about our own views of life disturbing??
xo
...so in other words, youve become a victim of what happened to him as if it happened to you??? You now have a trauma in your mind and heart?
I feel that way at times from movies and books or pics.
I like simple kind of things like Matlock, In the Heat of the Night, Ms Marple, Murder She Wrote etc.
Im a simple person. I did like the movie The Perfect Stranger with bruce Willis and Haley Berry. THAT was good but not gorey.
Some people like that SAW kind of stuff. I dont get it. But then again I dont do Halloween.
I am interested in viewing others thought about the movie and will check back to see.
:)
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 1:12:45 PM
I never thought to look at the reviews. It looked like a simple, family friendly PG movie. I was glad to see one viewer agree with me ...

"I haven't been able to shake the thought-provoking finale. Don't expect to leave this story behind as you exit the theatre. Life Of Pi has something to say."

There is no visual gory stuff, except one animal killing another. I guess what bothers is being unexpectedly left with all that. I suppose that is what makes it a good movie, but it was just unexpected for a PG movie. I am empathetic, though. I can't even watch the news without being disturbed :). It really gives you a glimpse in the minds powerful ability to go into denial while trying to survive.

I liked the sixth sense too. I didn't watch the others because I'm not "into" thrillers too much (unless someone else is watching them and I got interested) or horror movies. "The Haunted House" was the closest thing to a horror movie I've seen in a long while, and it was hilarious, IMO. It's not for kids :)

The best movie I think I've seen this year is "The Perks of Being a Wallflower".
 4ms4me
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 1:36:51 PM
I loved that movie, and I disagree that it left one with nothing to consider but the trauma and darkness of life. Ultimately, I think it was a story of survival and finding a way to retain one's humanity, despite horrific trauma. His solution was elegant, and if it was what he needed to do to survive intact, why not? Which story would you prefer to live with?
 relaxingwithyou
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/15/2013 1:40:55 PM
I was disappointed with it.....boring and shallow. What's so profound about the kid rewriting a very traumatic history in his mind to lessen the impact and immense pain? People do it all the time it's known as denial and it will catch up with him. Whoopti-do! I agree with the O.P., its just dark.

I see the same watered down version with people who tell you they have these fabulous parents and a perfect relationship with them. Bull, there are always issues, forgiveness and acceptance are the way to go. Not rewriting and pretending everything was "perfect".
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2013 6:40:07 PM
I, too, had no interest in the film but am now curious ... I'll have to look into
it further ...
 _FishingForAMermaid_
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/16/2013 8:56:25 PM
You were fortunate. By watching it, you only lost a couple of hours out of your life. I read the book and it took me a lot longer than two hours. I would not recommend either to anyone. How it won the Booker Prize only begs the question about the other books it was in competition with.

I will say that this is a prime example of where a book is much, much better than ever a movie can be. A book provides a lot of insight in the the character of a person. That is what this story is all about. That and the story suffer when a movie is made - but that is what Hollywood is good at - taking a good story and making money off of it by providing the un-washed masses with a supposed visual treat. How one can make a two hour movie out of a seven month survival challenge and have you and I truly appreciate what a person goes thru is a question. Give them credit though - lot's of people pay good money. I saved my money by borrowing the book, so all I lost was my time.

(I read Stig Larson's trilogy - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and saw the films made in Sweden. I thought it was a good read and the films were pretty decent as well. The story, like Agatha Christie's stories, were mysteries; mysteries do okay when moved from the written word to the visual medium. Because there is little character development involved. Not all mystery stories fall in to this category. But a mystery story is a far cry from a story like The Life of Pi!)
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/6/2013 5:14:43 AM
This film was promoted as having some kind of profound, spiritual message.

It didn't.....
 Misguided_Old_Mule
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/8/2013 7:20:49 AM
Can't comment on the movie but I read the book a few years back & wouldn't recommend that, either. An interesting situation rendered fairly uninterestingly.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/10/2013 11:05:13 AM
I loved the "Life of Pi" directed by Ang Lee. It was beautifully made and won the most Academy Awards in 2013:

Best Direction, Best Original Score, Best Cinematography and Best Visual Effects.
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/10/2013 6:12:48 PM
Best Direction, Best Original Score, Best Cinematography and Best Visual Effects.

All awards that have nothing to do with how compelling the story and acting were.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Just didn't work for me. Ang Lee has had much better material to work with. I would watch Crouching Tiger and Brokeback Mountain 100 times before I would see this film again.
Posted: 5/15/2013 5:36:20 PM
I don't see the movie in the bad way as op does...but, while it wasn't bad, I was disappointed...because it was promoted to be of the caliber of other things like Avatar and others I can't remember. It just wasn't anything "awesome" in any kind of way to me. I just think it's "ok".
 Hands of gold
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2013 3:49:02 PM
I saw the movie and read the book. I enjoyed them both. I thought Ang Lee did a fine job of capturing the story. I might be biased because the author lives in my hometown, but I loved the premise of the story. I always pick the ending that has him surviving with the animals, because it is much more entertaining an uplifting than the alternate.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Movie: The Life of Pi