Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > why was the new pope chosen?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 independant_thinker72
Msg: 1
why was the new pope chosen?Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
I'm not even catholic or even believe in a god but i believe the new pope was chosen because he is more likely to keep all of the sex scandals of the catholic church very wewll hidden as they obviously want. status quo as usual at the big house.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2
why was the new pope chosen?
Posted: 3/16/2013 8:00:18 PM

he is more likely to keep all of the sex scandals of the catholic church very wewll hidden as they obviously want

Well "obviously" if that is what they wanted then they didn't do a very good job at it because the 'cat is already out of the bag' on this matter; long before this 'new' pope came in! There is not much else they can hide regarding the sex scandals!

The pope himself does not have the power to make sweeping changes (even if he wanted to)all by himself; there are powerful forces within the church that would need to be on board with it.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2013 9:12:35 PM
I thought it was because the other guy decided to quit.
 LennyPane
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2013 12:22:07 AM
As has already been pointed out, the last dude kicked rocks. They had to pick someone to replace him. No confusion there. Better question is: does it really matter who's wearing the funny hat?

"Meet the new boss...".
 nipoleon
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2013 2:02:43 AM
The true relevancy of the Catholic Church isn't in it's religion ( few people really believe that stuff ).
The matter is that the Catholic Church is so rich.
It's operating revenues are far and away larger than any other religious institution in the world. As a financial entity, it is the equal of any major corporation in the world.
And, almost all of it's financial details are unknown to anyone outside the institution. Actually, anyone outside the Vatican itself.
Being a church, it has no requirement to submit any financial records to the government.
No one really knows how rich the Catholic Church is, but it's really rich and it has it's fingers in things all over the world.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2013 9:13:30 AM
Actually, the Historian part of me is very interested in this pope, for various reasons.

This very much is a time when the Church needs to address their scandals more directly than they have ever been willing to do before.

MAYBE they chose a Jesuit, because of their reputation for toughness and dedication, with the hope that he will crack down on the miscreants amongst them.

Maybe they chose him out of a weak-kneed hope that by picking someone from South America, that they can energize their largest base membership, much as a political party in this country chooses as a titular leader, someone who looks like the "core support" folks. Sort of a bribe, or fake out, that allows the real power brokers to remain in control, while giving the appearance of catering to the hopes of the peasantry at large.

Maybe they just couldn't get enough behind anyone else, and he's the fall-back choice.

I did notice that though he is from Argentina NOW, that he's actually Italian. So perhaps he's not as much of a big change as one might be led to think.
 DameWrite
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2013 1:54:17 PM
Because latin america is the newest target for mis information and top down control. This is a great marketing ploy to get the common people on the fear bandwagon so that they don't stand up against the domination that is coming their way.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/17/2013 6:15:05 PM

that there is a contingent of ecclesiastical masonry in the Catholic church which are trying to bring the church down from within.

Would you care to provide a valid source for this?

This is a great marketing ploy to get the common people on the fear bandwagon so that they don't stand up against the domination that is coming their way.

Lets send them a care package containing tin-foil hats!
 DameWrite
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2013 12:08:17 AM
http://www.globalresearch.ca/pope-francis-cia-and-death-squads/5327274

Religion is meant to keep the people paying and not complaining and charity is cheaper than an even slate. It makes sense that the new pope is from latin america... the greedos do not want another uprising when they do their sweep to gain control of everything there.
It's the way they roll.

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2013 3:35:49 PM
I've been hearing conspiracy stories about Popes for my whole life. I have yet to have seen anything that supported anything more than what a logical person would expect, from a situation where a lot of money and politics is concerned.

What I would be most interested to see, but don't expect, is a heavy hammer of justice coming down from the Pope, onto the people who allowed the church to become immersed in scandal and abuses. I have no "dog in the fight" though.
 relaxingwithyou
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/19/2013 8:04:34 PM
You are over thinking this. Drive by your nearest Catholic church on a sunday morning. Mine has the local Filipino uneducated agricultural immigrant population from the outer islands of the Phillipines where there are no schools but have tons of kids and they fill the parking lot. 20 years ago it was the intelligent caucasian senior citizens only, the younger generation was hip to all the hypocrises and gave up on the church. It doesn't matter what he says or does because the impressionable immigrants will believe and not question a dam thing.

On the mainland I've seen the same with uneducated latino immigrants. Pretty impressive advertising and marketing from the vatican to almost completely lose one audience and grab another huge one. But hey, they've got more money than God.
 ErikJason
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/22/2013 8:04:20 PM
The Vatican is slipping slowly, but surely, down a slippery slope; viewed as an out of touch entity in the eyes of many, in a rapidly changing world. The new poop is the best they could come up with for damage control.
 jed456
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2013 12:53:05 PM
Because the majority of Catholic's are in South America.
 whippedboi
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/28/2013 11:23:06 AM
^^
. The pope by himself is the most influential and powerful person in the world

and how many divisions [of troops] does he have ?
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/28/2013 12:18:22 PM

Hey Yule liquor and everyone else. I don't agree with the statement that "the pope himself does not have the power to make sweeping changes (even if he wanted to) all by himself." According to the Catholic doctrine, the pope is the direct representation of Christ Jesus and therefore is infallible--incapable of error(philosophically at least). A statement which I rebuke them for but nevertheless that's their belief.

@JD

The above 'position' (held by the RCC), is a vestige from earlier times when the RCC indeed had geo-political power and was able to enforce it. The means by which the Pope had the right/might to do whatever was simply that he was self proclaimed God's top representative on earth. That was enough for the vast majority of the population of that time (90% of whom were illiterate) to honor/fear him.

That declaration does not carry the same weight as it once did even within the papacy. Popes have meeting and conferences with Bishops, Cardinals, etc all of the time on important issues regarding church dictums & policy and what possible repercussions any changes would have on the body of the church. The RCC is well aware of what mistakes they've made (even if they don't publically acknowledge them) in the past, thus they weigh and ponder on all policy decisions and tend to err on the conservative side.

Thus if the Pope ever walked into a meeting and said "I had a vision in which Jesus commanded me to allow marriage for all priests & Nunns" Or " Jesus commanded me to sell all of the wealth that the RCC possesses and distribute it to the World's poor!!!" he'd be laughed out of the room. Even if he'd attempt to enact that it would take years if not decades; because all logistics of doing so would have to be fully examined.

The pope by himself is the most influential and powerful person in the world.

^ Only as it concerns spiritual matters (of the RCC); but not with regards to church policy & doctrine.
 strongrr
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/28/2013 1:49:45 PM
yeah they elected someone to keep scandals hidden..maybe spend less time flexing and more time reading
 Double Cabin
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2013 9:05:33 AM
We know the last two Popes had considerable ties to the Nazis. This new Pope is Argentinian. Coincidences?

The only positive future of the Catholic Church would be evolution. Misogyny and homophobia haven't exactly had the greatest effects for them of late.
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/29/2013 11:06:07 PM

Maybe they can take on all those weird American churches and offshoots of anglicans head on.
Mormons, Jehovas witnesses.

Don't be ridiculous man!
The last thing the papacy should be worried about is what goes on in "other" churches beside its own
The RCC is up to the knees in all kinds of muck
Most catholics I know are totally put off by it.

(if you care at all)You should be less concerned about where the pope is from
and more concerned about what he does.
Very likely little will change,
beneath the surface, he is probably just another company man
pre-selected to keep business as usual.

wait and see.
 DameWrite
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2013 1:57:57 AM
"Influence politics" ? (I don't think you DON'T get it btw).

They (religious hierarchy) were created to make people fall for the scam that rulers are needed.

Nothing has changed except the target market/location.

resources... human too>>||Control

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > why was the new pope chosen?