Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > whats your favourite wild west film?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Paul K
Msg: 2
view profile
History
whats your favourite wild west film?Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Easy................

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

The cast is incredible, the movie itself is very entertaining, and Katherine Ross is one of the most beautiful women at that time.

Paul K
 tickle_me_pank
Msg: 3
view profile
History
whats your favourite wild west film?
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:17:26 PM
I haven't seen Back to the Future 3, but I sorta tend to assume that any film with a 3 or a III in the title has to suck.

I could be wrong.

I love westerns. Especially Spaghetti westerns. Hang 'Em High. Fist Full of Dollars. Not a spaghetti western, but I really liked Dances With Wolves and Legends of the Fall. But one of my favorite westerns ever is Wild, Wild West (the tv show... but ESPECIALLY the movie with Kevin Kline and Will Smith. Gawd it was a hoot!) My other fav is Blazing Saddles. So many good lines, so many of them unrepeatable here.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:44:22 PM
A friend of mine (family friend) played the ugly against Clint Eastwood's good in the Good the Bad and the Ugly (Lee Van Cleef) so that will always be my emotional favorite. Unforgiven was probably my all time fave.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:46:28 PM
Sorry Lee played 'the Bad' I think in Gb&u.
 lostcausein
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:47:42 PM
The Good the bad and the ugly !

ah ee ah ee ah !

The magnificent 7 is worth checkin out too
 TheAnswerGuy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:50:32 PM

A friend of mine (family friend) played the ugly against Clint Eastwood's good in the Good the Bad and the Ugly (Lee Van Cleef) so that will always be my emotional favorite.

Eli Wallach played the "Ugly" (Tuco)
 CharminC
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/19/2013 4:52:17 PM
Back to the future 3 is not wild west, it's listed as science fiction comedy western.

The Magnificient seven,Butch and Sundance (Mr.blue eyes *drools*),Young Guns 1 & 2 and the Lonesome Dove series. Robert Duvall is amazing as an old time cowboy.
Anything by Clint Eastwood, Joe kidd, The Outlaw Josey Wales, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, Unforgiven to name a few.
Anything by the Duke. Rooster Cogburn, the Cowboys, Three Godfathers and True Grit. Godfathers is more of a drama but it's still a dang good western.
 Megaladonfishy
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2013 5:49:52 PM
Uhh, I thought Tuco was the Ugly, according to the internet movie database Lee Van Cleef (Angel Eyes) was the Bad.
 Tah,
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/19/2013 5:59:11 PM
dances with wolves captures that era, unlike anything i've seen or understood.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/19/2013 6:44:37 PM
^^^^^^
"dances with wolves"

In my town that film was nicknamed "Dances with cameras" for director Kevin Costner's constant and confusing mix of camera shots and angles.
Still, it was very popular.
I vote for "Blazing Saddles", a film that exposes what films are - total visual fakery. At the end the two-dimensional sets fall down, and the actors jump in their luxury cars and speed away while Count Basie and his full band play on. That's Hollywood:)
 relaxingwithyou
Msg: 12
Posted: 3/19/2013 7:28:55 PM
dances with wolves was amazing. as a 3 yr old i was obsessed with the soundtrack to "the big country" and played it over and over again much to my parents chagrin. the story line is a bit depressing but the music took me to another planet.
 tooborednow
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/20/2013 12:08:26 AM

what is your favourite wild west film?

Tons. Hombre, How the West Was Won, Once Upon a Time in the West, My Name is Nobody, Man of the East, Cheyenne Social Club, Support Your Local Gunfighter/Sheriff, Silverado, The Lone Ranger, Winchester 73, Shane, among others mentioned here already and some I can't remember the titles off the top of my head but I remember the film because I've watched them so many times.

what part of the wild west era do you think is cool?

Men were men, women were women, bad guys wore black hats, wrong and right was black and white, Sam Colt created the great equalizer.
 raxarsr
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 12:39:52 AM
back to the future 3 was about as wild west as a rocket ship

try the life and times of monte walsch............red river......[tom selleck films]

unforgiven....most of the louis lamore movies.......most john wayne movies

personally.......i think sam elliot and tom selleck are the best cowboy actors
 enigoM
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/20/2013 4:23:42 AM
Tombstone...Pale Rider...The Outlaw Josie Wales
 Hasty_Pudding
Msg: 16
Posted: 3/20/2013 5:34:49 AM
Back to the Future Part 3 is not a bad movie. Sci Fi westerns are still westerns.
(+ quick look into wikipedia shows 3 got better reviews than 2.)

The best western film ever is the one Clint Eastwood starred in and directed, "Unforgiven" (original title: "The Cut Whore Killings").
He takes the genre's portrayal of violence as cool, and turns that shit upside down on its head, to die a death so unglamorous it's worthy of even Elvis.

Tommy Lee Jones did a great job in his directoral debut with "The three burials of Melquiades Estrada." Not strictly "wild" west in the usual sense, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

Also enjoyed the Lonesome Dove Series.

Other faves include
Wild Wild West (Will Smith version)
Maverick (Mel Gibson/Jodie Foster version)
Westworld (with Yule Brynner)
Silverado
the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I noticed the early European posters had Angel Eyes being the ugly, whereas in America I saw Angel Eyes becoming the bad. Maybe a differing connotation (ugly looks, vs. ugly behavior)
 Hasty_Pudding
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/20/2013 7:22:49 AM

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The cast is incredible, the movie itself is very entertaining, and Katherine Ross is one of the most beautiful women at that time.

My husband has a thing for Katherine -- maybe that's why I forgot to put that classic in my list, haha.

The next time I say "Let's go some place like Bolivia" -- LET'S GO SOME PLACE LIKE BOLIVIA !!!!
 Double Cabin
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 7:34:20 AM
Wow,

I'm surprised some of the oldest among us didn't pick what are critically considered the greatest Westerns of all time. When I took a Western film class 30 years ago at Colorado College this is what I remember as the most popular choices in order:

Shane
High Noon
My Darling Clementine
Ride the High Country
Stagecoach
The Searchers

Since then I've appreciated:

Lonesome Dove: IMO the greatest thing ever made for television.
Silverado: VERY well done.
Unfiorgiven
Open Range
Heaven's Gate: Incredibly long but REALLY well written and photographed.
 cooldog65
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 9:10:40 AM
My favorite is "High Plains Drifter" with Clint Eastwood (1973). Saw it when I was 8 years old living in Japan.
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/20/2013 9:23:18 AM
Eastwood was the king of the wild west. Best actor, best director, hands down. I have never seen him make a bad movie. Everything else would probably be good if I didn't have to compare it with what came first. The pioneer of good wild west movies was Eastwood. I have watched John Wayne movies and all the other talented actors and they all fall a little short by comparison. Young guns was pretty good, tombstone was good and overall I could watch any wild west movie before I could a star wars movie or a movie full of vampires. It is hard to find good tv anymore, too much dramatic explosions and car racing. I thought back to the future was lame but since I was born in an earlier generation I am naturally prejudiced against most of the new movies.
 PROTON67
Msg: 22
Posted: 3/20/2013 1:05:40 PM
"Way Out West" with Laurel and Hardy. Critics say it is their best movie.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/20/2013 1:11:14 PM
One of my all time favourites is How The West Was Won (the movie, not the TV series). I saw it when it came out in the early 60’s. They used a process called Cinerama, which involved 3 projectors merging images on a massive wide screen. It was so cool and I still remember it vividly.

The all-star cast included Carroll Baker, Walter Brennan, Lee J. Cobb, Andy Devine, Henry Fonda, Carolyn Jones, Karl Malden, Harry Morgan, Gregory Peck, George Peppard, Robert Preston, Debbie Reynolds, James Stewart, Eli Wallach, John Wayne, and Richard Widmark. The film was narrated by Spencer Tracy, one of my all time favourite actors. It also won many awards, including 3 Academy Awards.

Some of my other favourites are the really old TV westerns, such as the Lone Ranger, Have Gun Will Travel, Roy Rogers, Hop Along Cassidy, the Cisco Kid, and Rawhide (Clint Eastwood).
 holby
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 3:09:18 PM
The shootist
High noon
 Paul K
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 3:30:21 PM
Hi Hasty_.........

That is a great line. I was working on writing a sequel to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, which would have had Redford and Newman playing the Kid and Butch about 30 years after the original movie ended. It would have worked perfectly because they would be playing characters the age that they really were............. Then Paul Newman had to go and die................. The movie rights are owned by the person whose name I forget, but is from Australia, where the sequel is set. I even had a great name for it:

"English"......... As in: "Next time lets go someplace where they speak English"..............

Yeah, I know that the last scene in the original has them dying; they got it wrong.............
I have been thinking that maybe it would work with only Redford, but that is really taking a lot away from the movie........ who knows, maybe I'll get a great idea on how to do it with only Redford.

Paul K
 Jennywillwin
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 6:01:34 PM
Tombstone

favorite scene with Doc Holliday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3wYMkpovo Short movie clip-Doc Holliday meets Johnny Ringo
 brandished
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2013 6:46:42 PM
Two of my favorites... Frisco kid and Little big man.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > whats your favourite wild west film?