Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 1
view profile
History
TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENTPage 1 of 1    
My question to the readers out in forum land,,,have any of you had a TKR done??

issues / pain leveles / pt and scuess of it / swelling; how long to go away or decrease.

I had bi-lat TKR done on 03.06.13, pt pushes me hard, and i know i have to get alll i can from it and the other two times a day when i do pt on my own. My pain is well controled w/ the meds. The swelling is awfull tho, makes it hard to go past 90% rom with the amt of swelling.

i am needing to rtn to work in mid April, and the swelling will be an issue, esp as my balance is off due to it, and using walker still, due to balance.
I have done lots of reading on the swelling problem, and most say it could take months to decrease. All thoughts appreciated,,,,
 Yule_liquor
Msg: 2
TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT
Posted: 3/24/2013 7:43:14 PM
Whether or not you can return to work in April is dependant on what type of work you do.
Presence of some swelling is normal but not severe pain
You need to see your ortho, to see if there is something else going on
TKR's done both at the same time is rough, harder to do rehab; greater chance of things not healing right.
good luck!
TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT
Posted: 3/25/2013 3:06:50 PM
Of course see a Dr and see whats going on and if its normal for your situation..........but

I can help you with the swelling/pain.

Ask your Dr and Im sure he will tell you "It cant hurt" but it is very effective for most people

Its cheap and safe.

Take quercetin and bromelain 1000mg each on an empty stomach every morning and 20 minutes before dinner.
Tale Norwegian salmon oil 3000mg divided during the day with 1000 mg MSM 3 times a day( organic sulfur and non toxic)

Go buy some lemongrass,peppermint and pine essential oil at the health food store.
If you are allergic to any of that delete the one you are allergic to. Pine can make some itch but rare.
You can substitute with another wood oil such as cedar/balsam fir.

Mix 1/3 ounce each in 3 ounces of almond oil and massage up towards the heart where you are swollen.
Dont get on broken skin or in eyes.
Massage should be 10 minutes every night..always stroking up.

Do not do more than your Dr advises in activity.

Ask him about an anti inflammatory diet or look one up.
My 2 cents
 classyfun_lady
Msg: 4
TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT
Posted: 3/25/2013 6:16:18 PM
You're PT would be the best one to tell you if the swelling is normal. It can take some time for some individuals to get full flexion back. And actually, achieving full extension is top priority.

If it were me, I would consider RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation). Where you given a cryocuff? I would also perform quad sets and ankle pumps as movement can help move fluid. Lastly, I would do light effleurage massage to the area by placing my hands below the knee and gently moving my hands up to above the knee joint. This will also move fluid out of the area.

I have seen many do quite well after knee replacements once they get over the hump. Hang in there--you are just under three weeks out.

Good luck
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 5
view profile
History
TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT
Posted: 3/26/2013 6:39:15 PM
thank you all for the replies, i will have to check out the vitamin coctails petuna mentioned.
pt working me hard, i am able to get full extention, and flexion at 115left / 100 right using towl when warmed up good. and bit less when doing no towel use.

the swelling has gone down lots, which is making it much easier to walk, still have spaems in knees, so ill be asking surgon on thur about that. and letting him know what all my job entails. running the intake for veterans appling for health care at the VA, have to get up about 15-25 times a shift. that will be a prob, so i may be temp to another, less busy place.

doing bilat tkr was tough, but better for me as i wont have to go thru allllll the recovery x2, and thinking of joing a gym after all pt done, i like the pt work, but more motivated when w/ others.

and again thank you ladies
Diana
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT