Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Polish Cooling....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Moonchild51
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Polish Cooling....Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
We are in search of some good down home polish recipes as my future son in law misses them. His Grandma has passed and unfortunately, her recipes were in her head. Do any of my foodie friends have a recipe or two they could share?
 iljack
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Polish Cooling....
Posted: 3/25/2013 8:50:17 PM
do a Google search on Polish cooking. You will find lots of recipes .
 Moonchild51
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Polish Cooling....
Posted: 3/26/2013 4:28:44 AM
Gee, can you tell I was tired when I posted this last nite? Cooking even! lol...Mr. Procol, no recipe in particular as I am not familiar with polish cooking. But you have given me some good ideas to goole. Thanks
 ARTSYLADEEEE
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Polish Cooling....
Posted: 3/26/2013 3:51:49 PM
Polish food 101-
Galubki
Pierogi
Halushki
Kielbasa and sourkraut
All recipes can be gotten from allrecipes.com.

Anyone know where to get good Kishka?
 ARTSYLADEEEE
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Polish Cooling....
Posted: 3/26/2013 4:33:14 PM
My family never made the beef goulash, do you have a recipe?

I recently made a dish in my slow cooker that was wedges of cabbage with tomato sauce, ground beef and rice. It basically was galubki without all the work. Tasted great.
 CharminC
Msg: 6
Polish Cooling....
Posted: 3/26/2013 4:45:05 PM
Sorry, no recipes but I do have tips.
For Golabki ; my ukranian ex's family always use pieces of salt pork in with the rice stuffed cabbage rolls and top with canned tomato juice. I personally use canned tomatoes and add wild rice, 50/50 mixture of ground beef and ground italian sausage, sauted onions and garlic to the rice mixture.
Pierogi; For the dough, I've alway subbed a bit of whole wheat flour to the white, use potato water and a bit of sour cream.
I also add sour cream to the potato filling and whatever else I am in the mood to add. It is mostly plain and served with sauted onions and garlic with chopped chives.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Polish Cooking....
Posted: 3/27/2013 7:37:53 AM
See this is just the thing? lol...not being polish, I don't have any idea of some of the names you folks are using here but am learning! We did the cabbage/sausage/onion dish the other nite and I loved it! Thanks for all the help here. As always it is much appreciated.
 MsMicki
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Polish Cooking....
Posted: 3/27/2013 11:19:16 AM
Moonie.......I'll look through my Mom's recipe book when I get home tonight and see if I can find her Saurekraut Perogie recipe.......best I've ever had!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Polish Cooking....
Posted: 3/27/2013 11:27:35 AM
Awesome Miss Mick. That would go over really well with my crowd!
 raxarsr
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Polish Cooking....
Posted: 3/27/2013 1:41:03 PM
hey monnie?......heres a perogie recipie

for the dough 3 c. flour
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. shortening
1/2 - 3/4 c. water

roll it thin and cut circles

the filling

mashed taters and onions

slice the onion uber thin......melt half a stick of butter in a pan and sauute the onions till soft/just barely starting to brown.......add a few shakes of paprica

add more butter

fold the onions and butter into the mashed potatos.[they should be warm/hot

add more butter

place a tablespoon of the onions/potatos to each dough round and seal

boil the perogies till the dough is cooked

in case i forgot.add more butter
 MsMicki
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Polish Cooking....
Posted: 3/28/2013 11:07:07 AM

for the dough 3 c. flour
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. shortening
1/2 - 3/4 c. water

roll it thin and cut circles

same dough recipe.....
except substitute fresh saurekraut in them(a little sprinkle of sugar helps take the "bite" out of the saurkraut)
Saute thinly sliced onions in butter till tender, then pan fry the perogies in the butter and onions.
 CharminC
Msg: 12
Polish Cooking....
Posted: 3/28/2013 3:39:11 PM
In the dough??!! Not the filling?

I am so going to try that but I make my own sauerkraut which consists of onions and bacon.
Yes... I said bacon ;P

Saute thinly sliced onions in butter till tender, then pan fry the perogies in the butter and onions.
^^
Any other way than this would be sacrilege.
(although I do gently boil beforehand to "cook" the dough)
 MsMicki
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Polish Cooking....
Posted: 3/29/2013 5:58:23 AM
Sorry for the confusion!

Let's try it again!

Same dough recipe........but substitute filling the periogie with saurekraut instead of the potato filling!!
 CharminC
Msg: 14
Polish Cooling....
Posted: 3/29/2013 6:33:51 PM
CHEAT: I bought a simple pierogi press (folds and crimps the dough for you) at a kitchen equipment outlet (~$1). Results aren't as pretty as an experienced artisan can make, but effective and a big labor saver. Recommended.

^^
I'm old school, lol. I've always used the edge of a glass cup slightly smaller than the size of pierogi I wish to make. Cut it out, spread it out with thumbs. place in palm, add teaspoon full of filling, use potato water to wet edge, fold and crimp.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  > Polish Cooling....