Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do women prefer the Chat conversation or email      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bucsgirl
Msg: 2
Do women prefer the Chat conversation or emailPage 1 of 1    
Paper or plastic? Smoking or Non? Honestly, not all women prefer either chat or email, we're all different.

You need to do a thread search for all the other bazillion threads about getting a response to email, plenty of reading material.
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Do women prefer the Chat conversation or email
Posted: 3/28/2013 6:09:54 PM
they suddenly leave after I reply to a message. Or sometimes they reply and then log out despite being there and knowing that I'm on..

You might (from the sound of it) be assuming a bit too much about your presence online and their activity. Meaning, thinking what they're doing (or not) is in any way related to you being online (i.e., logging off 'knowing' you are there, etc.)

Reality is - they either don't know (aren't aware) or don't care (aren't concerned about it.) You should probably not put too much thought into it.

Do they want to Chat? Can't say - some are ok w/it, others aren't - some aren't able to (phone apps don't have that feature, for example.)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/28/2013 6:57:11 PM
Chat doesn't always work for everyone - bad outdated software or cell phones, busy with other things, etc... - NEVER start a chat without asking permission first in an e-mail. That pop-up alert asking to chat - for some ladies - happens every ten seconds annoying the crap outta them - until they figure out how to disable it.

I would never text someone if I haven't spoken to them by voice first. Texting always has problems with context - jokes can be taken the wrong way, things like that. Establishing a personal connection through a phone call (or maybe a Skype video chat) gives you that frame of reference for their sense of humor and such - makes texting afterwards a helluva lot easier.

Getting a few responsive e-mails is a very good sign. It shouldn't need to take too many messages to get some interest going in a phone call or a chat conversation - but the basic 'ask a question' message seems to be the wisest first step.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/28/2013 7:51:05 PM

Posted by spilling_fire:
"... The chat feature on this site is a nightmare. You'll accept a chat and then it takes 10 minutes to load, so you give up and close it. Or it freezes on you. Yeah, a nightmare. Don't ask women to text. There's nothing romantic or sexy or intriguing about texting...unless you're familiar enough with one another to be sexting (but that's a different forum lol). Get a phone number and let them hear your voice and your laugh..."

^^^

This. Read, re-read, and read a third time to ensure the message sinks in.
Texting was likely created by Satan himself to completely sabotage fledgling relationships.
Resist the urge to text and PICK UP THE PHONE to dial a woman and SPEAK to her.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/29/2013 7:45:53 AM
This "Younger" generation addicted to texting ALSO includes a several 40-somethings.

I'm sorry, but I cannot really take anyone sending me affection through an 'emoticon' seriously. TELL me how you feel.

When someone texts, you have no idea if it's really the adult you want to date --- or his nine-year-old daughter messing with his cell phone. THAT is the key difference in trusting a text.
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2013 10:03:30 AM
To all the 20/30-something know-it-alls... Yeah, we knew it all back then too.. lol

Good Advice/Bad Advice - simple matter is, for many (whatever age they may be) - learning to communicate on an adult and/or on a human level can be invaluable - both for one's personal/relationship-life, as well as life in general.

Sure - FB, G+, Twitter, Checking-in (etc etc.) ...all that stuff is well and good - fantastic even - none replace personal interaction. We (you) may think they are preferred (and certainly for certain circumstances or even people, they may be), the reality is, they're not always.

Personally - I've seen folks so entrenched in digital communications that they literally text people in the same room/house/apt. (even sitting next to each other.) That's a bit extreme - but is food for thought. Some are not learning to communicate, and in fact are gaining a fear/anxiety toward real-human-interaction (kid you not.)

In the end - you decide what's best for you.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/29/2013 12:11:16 PM
The very limited inter-personal communication skills of kids in their twenties is laughable.
The only thing funnier is when people in their forties, fifties, and sixties seek to emulate them.
Now watching that is REALLY funny! :-)
 no_1_bby
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2013 1:47:16 PM
The IM feature here has a history of locking up my computer, so I avoid it like the plague.

Messages are good. I like those. I can respond on my own time.
 brinaalina
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2013 2:04:50 PM
I never use the chat function. I don't like it.

I find it especially weird when people request me for chat over and over and over and OVER when they've never even sent me a message.
Lol.

But I'm sure someone out there uses it?
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Do women prefer the Chat conversation or email