Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is a monotone voice really a big deal?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Jon296
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Is a monotone voice really a big deal?Page 1 of 1    
People tell me that I talk with a monotone voice often and it can be a turn off for women. I have had women tell me that I am very handsome. I do meet and talk to a lot of women when I go out and I do get a good amount of phone numbers but often the numbers don't lead to anything. My friend who has studied dating said that he thinks it is because of my monotone voice. He said that I should take an voice expressions class to try to correct my monotone voice. I am not familar with such a class. So my question to the women on here is it really a big deal if an attractive and fun man that you meet talks with a monotone voice? IF so do you have any suggestions about how I can fix it or not let it interfer with me meeting a good match.
 Jon296
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Is a monotone voice really a big deal?
Posted: 3/31/2013 11:31:56 AM
So even though people tell me that I am really attractive and out going and fun to be around it would still be a factor? Also do you have more suggestions about how I can fix it?
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2013 1:52:39 PM
No clue how to correct it, but maybe sing more? Have you played an instrument and know the corresponding value to different notes? I would think that in the same way a singer can increase his/her 'range' that maybe you cold loosen up or tightened your vocal chords to product various sounds when talking also.

They have practice "scales" they do. Maybe make it a morning shower routine? Could be fun.

With all things, I think disclosure of anything that might be questioned is a good thing.

I state "I'm very spacey and easily distracted by thought" quite often. It prepares people to deal with me without taking it personally.
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2013 4:00:03 PM
Assuming you're not meaning to sound a bit shallow with the 'since I am attractive/fun, does it matter comments' - and you're happy with your life, I suppose it doesn't matter. On the other hand, if a true friend is telling you you might want to fix something, perhaps you should give it a go.

I might suggest seeking a professional (voice therapist) for direction - vs. jumping into some speech/voice class that might/might-not address the problem (assuming there is a problem.) It might sound silly, but their professional training can likely give you the decisive answer you might be looking for.

Anecdotally - of course it could be a problem (for either gender.)
 daynadaze
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2013 9:17:20 PM
I'm not normal, so you can't go by me, but yes, a voice that annoyed me would be a much bigger turn off than his looks. But for some women it wouldn't matter at all. It's one of those things that asking 20 people to answer isn't going to get you any more info than you already have. No matter what you do or what you look like, etc., some women will like you and some won't. There is no magic formula to finding someone.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > Is a monotone voice really a big deal?