Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Women don't go to the gym...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NicNixx
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Women don't go to the gym...Page 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
My friend brought up an interesting point that he never sees as many (younger) women at the gym , just testosterone pumping 'regulars' and men in the mirror. Is this true? I later told him I was considering joining la fitness but besides the horrid customer service I received, I got amazing stare downs. Made me feel super uncomfortable, especially in a place I go to get sweaty, I'll stick to at home workouts. But Is it true?
 Indira46
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Women don't go to the gym...
Posted: 4/2/2013 6:08:17 PM
I go 6 days a week, every week.

Hmm...now that I think about it, I never see women my age or younger. That's weird. And none of my female friends go. I've been going since I was 14 years old.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/2/2013 10:56:55 PM
Since age 21, I've been weight lifting 2-3 times a week and getting aerobic exercise at the YMCA .
Posted: 4/3/2013 4:20:59 AM
I go to classes a min of 5 hours a week although dont use GYM equipment unless a class is canceled.

More women go than men in my Weight Lifting class by a long shot..
My aerobics and yoga..even less men.

Its through a hospital health and fitness club.
Very affordable.
Some at the Y I can attend at no extra charge but the chlorine smell is horrible there.

Since age 21, I've been weight lifting 2-3 times a week and getting aerobic exercise at the YMCA .

No wonder!!!
 DragonBits
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/3/2013 2:49:03 PM

I later told him I was considering joining la fitness but besides the horrid customer service I received, I got amazing stare downs. Made me feel super uncomfortable, especially in a place I go to get sweaty, I'll stick to at home workouts. But Is it true?

I see 25% women in the gym I go to, and it's also LA Fitness, and I am about 30 miles from your location.

There are a lot of Spanish men working out at times. There are many men that are in quite good shape. But all the group exercise programs are 95% women. They also have a smaller seperate workout room for women only.

Maybe try another location. No reason to go to a gym, you can workout at home, it's not as convenient, but I go because I am a life time member and pay 14 cents a day.
 steaktastegreat
Msg: 6
Posted: 4/3/2013 4:32:26 PM
Try going to a gym on an Army base. Usually about 95% male, and when a decent looking woman walks in, its like hnnnnggggggg.
 SexyKG74
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/3/2013 5:57:34 PM
I go to the gym 4 days a week; it's a mixed crowd...plenty of people of both genders and of all ages, although my gym is actually mainly for bodybuilders...which I'm not...

Maybe you want to try an all women's gym, such as Lucille Roberts? Not quite sure if it's in your area, but here in the NYC area, there are always promos and the locations I've seen are pretty busy.
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2014 10:49:23 AM
Yes they do. I see a lot of women going into the gyms where I live. There is a gym not to far from my home and a lot of women are going in. I have my own home gym and I work out every day.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 9
Posted: 4/20/2014 9:09:36 PM
I don't go to the gym - too much time and money for me. I have free weights and a few other gadgets at home and exercise to DVDs. They have given me great results in only 30 minutes per day. Never got those results at the gym.
 YoureInMyDNA
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/15/2014 6:02:38 PM
I live in south florida and workout six days a week at la fitness and there's no shortage of women of any age!!!
 bamagrl68
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/19/2014 4:07:13 PM
NicNixx- I think it depends on the gym, most of the time you have to go to find out.
If you feel stared down by the men, consider Curves, it's a workout gym for women only.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2014 3:49:57 AM

Older gals tend to hit the weights more as well, while the younger ones gravitate toward the machinery and cardio equipment.

We lose a lot of muscle if we dont and its hard to keep or build after a certain age .
Muscle burns more fuel and gives good tone to your limbs and abs.
Having weights is a must at home if you dont like the gym.
I do less aerobics and even less cardio than most women imo.

Doing natural things is the better than a gym (other than weights since I tend to like a bit of competition and company )so it seems like it isnt a long time and makes it more fun. Walking, hiking,biking, swimming, yard work and other things we often dont do and then use the excuse we "go to the gym".

Its so different and its "useful "muscles we are using, not just to look good.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/14/2014 10:17:55 AM
Might be a local thing -the general attitude and mindset of the population -beach physiques and all.

Plenty of women go to the gym here -but there are also gyms geared more toward women.
 whippedboi
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/19/2014 10:07:03 AM
People now seem brainwashed into thinking that using "the gym" is the ONLY way to be fit, in shape

successful marketing by the gym corps. I suppose

long walks, hiking in nature, running, yard work, gardening..all these good and offer other mind benefits beyond mindless repetitive pumping on a machine, that accomplishes nothing of substance external to working a muscle..why not do your own yard work, etc.?
 calguy14
Msg: 15
Posted: 8/31/2014 6:37:24 PM
Rarely see a women past 45 in the gym,and beseides the owner who is a former pro,very few older men who appear to have worked seriously at keeping in shape.
 mma_leanne
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2014 10:07:49 AM
There are more females at my gym at the time I go than there are males. Mind you I go at 4:00 AM and there's only about 10 people total, so that's also a huge factor.
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2014 9:02:01 AM
Lot of younger women go to female only gyms now,
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 18
Posted: 12/10/2014 1:01:22 PM
I don't go to the gym, I just do my own thing at home. I'm too lazy to go aaaaall the way there, aaaall the way home. too much wasted time going to the gym.
(if i were wanting to do more heavy weight lifting stuff, then I'd have to go. I don't have that stuff at home).
 calguy14
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/22/2014 9:53:12 AM
The gym can't be beat....all the equipment(maybe) that you want,you can see what people might be doing,maybe get advice from other members.Gets you out of the house,yard work and walking are good but will not cover everything and the list gets longer as you get older.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/25/2014 2:19:22 AM
Truth based on anecdotal evidence?
Where is the conclusion drawn?
One persons experience? No, that's why the word anecdotal exists.

In my experience it can vary, but there are women only gyms too. Segregation is a horrible thing, when the stair master goes unoccupied.
 satx78218
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2014 8:33:59 AM
Gym Business Models Depend On You Being Too Lazy To Work Out

http://consumerist.com/2014/12/18/gym-business-models-depend-on-you-being-too-lazy-to-work-out/
 calguy14
Msg: 22
Posted: 12/26/2014 11:06:59 AM
@vector
My conclusion is drawn from 49 years of working out now...I started everyday pushups at nine.I prep concrete with a bobcat but do plenty of shovel work where the machine won't reach.Drive wooden pegs with a sledge.You actually need both the gym and some real work.The gym covers the squats and rows .The older you get the more diligent you have to be.Unless you're superman and I haven't met him past 43 yet.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 23
Posted: 12/26/2014 7:48:59 PM

@vector
My conclusion is drawn from 49 years of working out now...I started everyday pushups at nine.I prep concrete with a bobcat but do plenty of shovel work where the

Yeah right? Because that is so hard, working construction... haha, you blue collar drunk. I'm a veteran the US Army. I know what it means to work, don't insult me with your failed attempt to sandbag me. You just sandbagged yourself.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 24
Posted: 12/27/2014 1:25:03 AM
CTRLvector, most people who enlist are unfortunately those that weren't making it in the civilian life.
You don't need to enlist to be in awesome shape.
Some of us don't need to have someone barking at us to motivate our a**es.

and on topic.......
Too many pretty faces think their youth will last forever.
But then the potato chip butt syndrome comes along....and they turn out to be crabby, naggy old women who post on POF forums.
Proof is in the forums.
LOL
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 25
Posted: 12/27/2014 1:29:50 AM
whippedboi,
long walks, hiking in nature, running, yard work, gardening
will never produce an Arnold Schwarzegger.... or even the average beach boy body.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Women don't go to the gym...