Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Msg: 1
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARDPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Well from beginning of this year, had laptop k/board changed, hard drive replaced, new battery, memory changed, and now when i try to turn it on, screen won't turn on, been told its the motherboard, which not worth replacing as cost too much,

though to me seems strange as not been kicking it around, so why it work fine one day, then bumf!!

prob after getting hard drive fixed had to keep pressing f1 to start it, then updating date and time as kept starting on 1/1/2001/

so any idea if it motherboard or not?
 _Meta_Man_
Msg: 2
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/4/2013 7:44:39 PM
sorry man...but any way you look at it your laptop is a piece of shit. get a new one.
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 3
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/4/2013 7:55:47 PM
Could be whoever replaced your hard drive (or keyboard, memory) screwed something up.

Not holding the date is a CMOS thing.. (motherboard). Could be connected with the monitor problem - might not. Might be as simple as a ribbon cable connecting the monitor/mobo being loose.. tough to say (but the case has been on/off a few times.)

Can always try connecting to an external monitor - see what (if anything ) you see..but sounds like it's on it's deathbed..
 sureicanhelp
Msg: 4
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/5/2013 4:30:39 AM
First, they gave u a "reused motherboard" .SO I would get a new system. I agree there. Cost to replace might be as high as $300. Get an Intel Cpu I5 at least with a Nvidia or Intel graphcis system. ASUS is urbest bet as they dont have any crap ware installed at all.
GOOd luck
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 5
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/5/2013 5:47:20 AM
^^^ Hmm that's funny my n61jq series had crapware installed on it when I got it new. So I don't know where you got that info from unless it was a special asus series for offices like a dell vostro or something that has no crap ware on it.
 sureicanhelp
Msg: 6
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/5/2013 5:10:04 PM
WHATEVER asus never has crapware on it u got used from someone who had it before u .you get what you pay for.I have and sold ASUS ,many models no crapware .get a life.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 7
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/5/2013 5:20:28 PM
Not enough information.

By "wont turn on," do you mean that nothing at all happens when you press the power button?

Try taking OUT the memory and hard drive, and anything else you can easily do, including the optical drive and main battery. I've seen any of those items keep a machine from posting. Even the keyboard could do it. Anything that connects to the motherboard, and is internally shorted, might keep it from showing life.

Some machines have design flaws, too. I had one once, that died because the base cover was too weak to support it. When I picked it up without first closing the screen and latching it, the motherboard cracked.

Electronics can die for lots of reasons other than abuse, too.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 8
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/5/2013 7:53:38 PM
WHATEVER asus never has crapware on it u got used from someone who had it before u .you get what you pay for.I have and sold ASUS ,many models no crapware .get a life

No I got it new my laptop was 1400 dollars. What models were they and news flash trial ware is crap ware.
 StealthGlider
Msg: 9
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/5/2013 9:23:46 PM

prob after getting hard drive fixed had to keep pressing f1 to start it, then updating date and time as kept starting on 1/1/2001/

That usually happens when the battery wears out. The bios settings, which includes the date, is stored in CMOS(i believe) and that is powered by a small battery ... little smaller than a quarter in diameter usually ... they are around 5 bucks ... you can probably replace it yourself.

if your bios settings are incorrect that can prevent laptop from working correctly.

it is rare that memory will need to be replaced on laptop/computers ... not a common problem. Sometimes you may have to reseat the memory if it was jarred loose.

springsdiver covered the screen issues .....

in addition ... a lot of video cards are built into the motherboard or are costly to replace. ... heat is usually the problem for video cards. ... sometimes can be repaired ... but only cost effective if you can do it yourself ... sometimes is just a question of re soldering connections/pins.

heat is also a problem for motherboards as well .... sometimes can be repaired ... as well as replaced but again NOT cost effective, unless you do it yourself ... NOTE: unless you done it before a few times .. you probably will not get it right.

screen as mentioned is either the back light, inverter or video card ... using an external monitor will tell you if the video card is ok.

There is also a ribbon video cable going to the screen, which could also be the problem. IF you can see faint characters on the screen, the ribbon cable is ok, if not ribbon cable may be bad.

And of course it could be the lcd screen itself

the inverter powers the backlight ... hard to tell which one would be the culprit .. using testing equipment ... essentially test if the inverter is putting out the correct power levels ... to determine if it works.

Here's a thought. if you sent in a laptop under warranty for repair with screen problem you mentioned ... they would most likely just replace the laptop. It's cheaper for them that way.

suggestion: try replacing cmos battery and configuring bios again. ... if that fails .. cut your losses ... get another laptop.

I'm guessing .. the cmos battery was failing, which caused a lot of these issues, and simply replacing the cmos battery may solve it.

you mentioned battery was replaced ... but didn't say whether it was the cmos battery or the laptop battery.

some people will pay a few dollars for broken laptops, depending on the problem and either fix it themselves and resell parts. you may be able to get 20-50 bucks for it.
Msg: 10
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/6/2013 5:30:18 AM
I'm guessing .. the cmos battery was failing, which caused a lot of these issues, and simply replacing the cmos battery may solve it.

you mentioned battery was replaced ... but didn't say whether it was the cmos battery or the laptop battery.

yea it was the laptop battery needed replacing, as would no longer hold its charge properly
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/6/2013 5:47:24 AM
Cmos battery death will result in the symptom of having to reset the time and date every time you power up. It wont cause the machine not to power on at all, unless the battery is shorted, and in thirty years of working on these things, I've NEVER seen a shorted CMOS battery.

Like I said, to figure this out, unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard, and see if it powers on when you apply power to it. If it doesn't, the chances you can fix this without a motherboard are very slim.
Msg: 12
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/6/2013 5:58:43 AM

Like I said, to figure this out, unplug EVERYTHING from the motherboard, and see if it powers on when you apply power to it. If it doesn't, the chances you can fix this without a motherboard are very slim.[quote/]

would i be right in guessing i would have to take laptop apart to unplug everything from the m/board ?

my lappie powers on, but screen doesn't turn on, and when it used to laptop battery at 100% would drop to approx 36% in matter of minutes,
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 13
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/6/2013 6:27:43 AM
The battery indication may or may not have been due to a problem in the PC. When main batteries go bad, they can fluctuate in what they tell the computer is going on in them. They have electronics in them too these days, and are not simply cells with chemicals in them. That could be just a worn out battery. If it is a Lithium Ion battery, it started to die from the day of manufacture, and when it reaches it's age limit, it will go belly up with no recourse but replacement.

Since your unit does power on, it might be that the mainboard is okay. Does it post? Does the hard drive indicator show activity after a short time? Are there any beeps?

The next thing to check, is to plug an external monitor into the machine, to see if it works with that. If it fails to work on a known good external monitor, the main board might be the problem. If it does, it still COULD be the main board, but is more likely the screen. As someone else asked, if you put very bright light to the screen and look closely, can you see an image on it? Is the problem just that the screen doesn't light up? That could be the screen, the inverter (some machines have this small card mounted under the screen, some don't), the screen cable, or again the motherboard. Statistically, the cable and screen are the most likely. I've only seen inverters die twice in twenty years. Since so much other work was done, it could simply be that the screen cable wasn't securely attached and locked down during the last repair, and has pulled loose.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 14
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/6/2013 2:57:00 PM
^^^ Yup, that's the next step if removals do correct the issue.
Msg: 15
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/7/2013 6:35:02 AM
i got a pc tower with seperate monitor, is there any chance could use that monitor to test laptop ?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 16
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/7/2013 6:56:55 AM
As long as the sockets are compatible, sure. if it plugs in, try it. You should have a key combination to make the image be sent to the monitor. It often wont go to the other monitor without the key combination. On my ancient IBM pc, it's "function + F7." It might be different for yours.
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 17
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/7/2013 7:49:16 AM
OP - what's the Make & Model? (assuming it's not a closely guarded secret..lol)
Msg: 18
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/7/2013 10:48:45 AM
my laptop model is a Hp G70-120M
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 19
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/7/2013 11:22:26 AM
Okay, that one does have a VGA port on it. If your monitor has a VGA cable, it will work. Most monitors have them still.

Here's the HP service manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01573159.pdf

You might want to read through that for how to do things, and what to try.
 sureicanhelp
Msg: 20
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/7/2013 1:24:45 PM
Get this liar HERE ENDNTH THE LESSON
 StealthGlider
Msg: 21
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/7/2013 6:50:44 PM
shot in the dark ... works sometimes for some laptops.

drain the capacitors ... sometimes settings are stored / set but never get reset or overwritten ..

remove battery and unplug ac.

press and hold power button for 20-30 seconds.

that should be enough ... but repeat a couple of times anyway.

that clears any "stuck" settings ... resets to default ...

plug in ac power again and try it.

don't get your hopes up ... most of the time ... it's a different problem. I only mention it because this can sometimes fix a keyboard not working issue .. which you also had.

anyways .. searching on make/model/problem will certainly provide you a list of all viable options/fixes/etc
 TheCoolGreenMoss
Msg: 22
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/7/2013 9:32:11 PM

Ok - some things to check out.

First thing I would do is connect your HP's VGA connection to en external monitor. (Simply connecting it to the HP and powering it on may automatically result in it being detected (giving you a 'picture') ; or you may have to use a Fn/Keyboard key-combination to let the HP know the external monitor is there and you want to use it. Can't say which is the case.

Providing you get a picture - my guess is, it's likely you will. You can check your BIOS and set/reset the date. Presumably you know how to access your BIOS (done shortly after you have restarted the HP.)

Assuming the HP won't (still) hold the date - after rebooting (maybe a couple of times) - the CMOS battery is likely the cause.

You can replace the CMOS battery fairly easily. It is next to your hard drive (HDD) that is accessed through the larger rectangular 'door' on the bottom of the laptop. It is connected by a wire to the motherboard. Fairly easily located and removed.

It would appear that the battery itself is not the typical 'watch-style' battery (usually the size of a nickel) but rather a complete unit - wire and all.

Here's one I found on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Pavilion-G70-CMOS-Battery-/260896302687

That's the easy part (replacing the CMOS battery will very likely fix the date-holding issue.)

The monitor on the other hand will be trickier and will depend on how competent you feel you are with taking things apart (and putting them back together lol.)

The cable that connects the monitor to the mobo - on your HP - It appears it can be accessed under the keyboard. (Imagine that - right where your keyboard replacer would have possibly dislodged it.)

The monitor cable is located underneath about where your left Shift Key is - for reference). The complete keyboard must be removed to access it. It's not difficult - but can be tricky to remove and replace again (i.e., getting the keyboard cable reattached, then reinserting the keyboard properly.)

It may/may-not have been properly connected, or has somehow become dislodged. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself (can't blame you) - I would suggest returning to where you got the keyboard replaced and ask them to do it.

Not sure if any of this helps...
Msg: 23
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 4/8/2013 5:21:59 AM

Okay, that one does have a VGA port on it. If your monitor has a VGA cable, it will work. Most monitors have them still.

Here's the HP service manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01573159.pdf

You might want to read through that for how to do things, and what to try.

thanks for the pdf file name, check it out sometime this week as always worry without a manual of some sort
i'll screw something up,

plus really want to try to do the online cs50 course

and rather have laptop to do it
Msg: 24
view profile
History
LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD
Posted: 5/29/2013 8:48:23 AM
UPDATE:
well bro told me to post him my laptop as he knew someone could fix it, turns out just knew a guy in a pc repair shop ,

who told him problem with my laptop was something called power ditribution failure, and said it wasn't repairable,

so my bro said he'll stoore it instead, damn!
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > LAPTOP MOTHERBOARD