Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Why is so Tipping/gratitude so expected in Vancouver ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 aysana
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why is so Tipping/gratitude so expected in Vancouver ?Page 1 of 1    
Why is "tipping" so expected in Vancouver ?
This seems to be an aggressive expectation and I am wondering if its because they think you are a tourist or something.
I have been in taxis and the fare maybe $33 and you give them $40 and they walk off and thats it.
Same thing in restaurants .Pay $50 for a meal costing $31 and they never come back with your change and I resent it.Why would you need to ask for your change at all ? I would give a small tip but they seem to take it as if by right and no thank you either.So then what we started doing was going to places where you have to go up and pay afterwards.There they ask you...lol....would you want to give gratitude of 20%...no.....10 %.....no......5%....no !
Its the principle of the thing .It should be your personal choice to tip not taken as given and no change offered back.
What we do now is....have the exact change ,pay the bill and out we go.
In Britain,no tip is ever expected in restaurants or taxis or anywhere but if you give one and most people will tip in restaurants,then they will be just as polite if you do or don't.Its not expected and you will get the same level of service.
So,how are the locals with this tipping ? Do you recieve the same aggressiveness in keeping the change as a tip?
 aysana
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Why is so Tipping/gratitude so expected in Vancouver ?
Posted: 4/6/2013 11:38:56 AM
[I find that hard to believe. I think most restaurant staff expect at least a 10% tip anything less is considered an insult IME. The last time I was in a Restaurant in England ( London 1980 and the food was not good ) a 15% tip was added to the price of the meal and you had no say in the matter./]

I heard the food was bad back then in England ! We spend months in central London every year and the food is varied and very reasonable and honestly they give you,your change back and you can leave what you like on the table as a tip and I am talking of the best parts of central London.Its better food and from every corner of the world and maybe half the price of Vancouver fare.Honestly.The service is always of the same standard,usually very polite but if they are ever surly and I have been lucky that,I have never come across surly service in Britain but if they were going to be then its nothing at all to do with the tip or lack of.

I love the people of Vancouver but I don't understand the taxi drivers and those in restaurants.You have to request your change back . Its not good enough that you have paid for the food or service.Why state a price if you want double that ?They walk off with your money and don't come back .The last taxi driver took my $40 for a $31 fare and said "thanks for the tip" and off he goes . Another one said " how much do you want" when I asked for my change. Thats weird behaviour.

Who I do like are the homeless people in Vancouver.They are quite polite and have a sense of humour too.
I would rather give them my extra dollars and I do. I like how they open the doors to shops for you while they hold a paper cup for spare change .They thank you nicely too and thats rare anywhere.
 CharminC
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/6/2013 12:43:35 PM
We're living in rude and greedy society with a sense of entitlement. While everyone is getting tipped, no one knows if they are providing good or bad service. In this case, service and food everywhere has gone crappy.
The mandatory tipping in restaurants also affects what is being order or how often one goes out. Gone are the days of good higher priced meals or frequent outings (unless you can afford it).

I stay home and eat. I don't have to deal with disappointments. My food is way better and ... hella cheaper.
 aysana
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2013 2:22:12 PM
@Paddy_o_Lantern

>One of the interesting things about the service industry is that while tips are expected in a restaurant or bar and to a lesser degree hair stylists and taxi drivers regardless of the quality of service or product they are serving there are plenty of other service industry jobs paying minimum wage where customers actively complain about service yet no tip is seldom if ever given - retail and fast food for instance.

Exactly.We all know certain places you do tip.Thats not the issue.The issue is that its taken aggressively without consent.Its happened consistantly in every type of restaurant here in Vancouver.In taxis time and time again.In hairdressers.Its intimidation in fact.In Britain I think that one time would be one time too many from a legal point of view.
I went to the hairdressers in Vancouver and spent a fair amount .Paid the woman and no change.No attempt to return the change at all.I had to ask for my $30 change and she looked at me very surprised as if.........what ?
In England my hairdresser is a Gold Star salon and its a given that your change is returned and you have the same level of service.They are just pleased to see you.In fact they give you Christmas presents as a thank you.

@BritinBurnaby.
The GST/PST/HST stuff confuses everything as well so if the price is marked as $9.99 in a buffet for example,you tend to offer $20 to cover the tax .Next thing you know they take the lot and nothing is said.Yet they haven't done anything.Said anything so there is no service to speak of so whats to tip ? And like I say...they don't give you the choice.They just take the change as a tip.Our VAT is already built into the price so prices are clearer.

So saying Denys is okay! Also a fish and chips place at North Van and another great place in Stevenston Village which serves Russian home cooked food.

I better counter this and mention that Vancouver bus drivers are pretty cool and always polite.The spare change guys and girls are polite despite being in dire straits.There are a few I buy meals for on occasion and if they see me and that one time I can't then they are still nice about it.
 uniqueid
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 4/7/2013 9:51:48 PM
The expectation for tips is out of control. I do not accept that the rate has arbitrarily gone up from 10 to 20%. And my response to 'stay home if you can't afford to tip' is to stay home.

No problem with that on my end.
 aysana
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/13/2013 12:53:16 PM

he expectation for tips is out of control. I do not accept that the rate has arbitrarily gone up from 10 to 20%. And my response to 'stay home if you can't afford to tip' is to stay home.

They shouldn't take the job if it doesn't pay enough and the employer shouldn't set up shop unless he can pay his staff is the thought process we are used to in England altho we do tip . Also like the poster above,they tend to ask you "how is your meal "within a minute and that is the sum total of the service they give to warrant a "tip"
I only wish I was a millionaire considering the tips that are expected !
 Ed Bear
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2013 7:24:48 AM
In a cab, I'd say that "how much do you want" is not unreasonable, as the change-making is often a pain and there's no point in going through it twice.

Nobody EVER gets away with not coming back with MY change unless I've told them to keep it.

Vancouver is a tourist town, but way out of line with most other tourist towns. While it's not easy to live on minimum wage in Vancouver, it's more than double what many US servers have to make do on, and the prices are higher here. Too many people tip by boobs rather than service, too!

Vancouver has an international reputation for really bad, abusive, don't-give-a-damn service, but the restaurant associations and signs in restaurants and even on menus tell us to tip AT LEAST 20% and want it ON THE TAXED amount. In particular, one often sees oh-so-polite Japanese tourists left agog and slack-jawed by their treatment.

And don't get me started on take-out joints where the servers expect a 20% tip on the taxes amount!

I don't like the whole tipping thing. A worker, like a customer, should know what they're going to get out of a deal. Monkeys who don't get consistent reward rations on their experimental trials get elevated levels of ulcers and heart problems. (When I first learned of Joseph Brady's famous 1958 "executive-monkey" research in my college Psych classes, it didn't make sense to me. Sure enough, it was eventually proven unrepeatable and debunked. Brady had selected his monkeys in a systematically biased manner.) Having no control of what happens to you is stressful... like the difference between being a driver and a passenger!

And living on tips robs one of social benefits based on income. The employers act like it's a present to pay you cash, though THEY save the money and the employee takes the risk and gets no pension or unemployment benefits. When food-service owners ask me if I'd be willing to pay more for no-tip service, I say YES whole heartedly. One of the very few good things about Rotten Ronnie's is that tipping is forbidden. (One of the many bad things is that they still pay crap to their tipless staff.)

But let's face it, there are not that many folks in the Waiting Game who really love their work. The ones who do are gems.
ED BEAR
 aysana
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2013 10:26:09 AM

In a cab, I'd say that "how much do you want" is not unreasonable, as the change-making is often a pain and there's no point in going through it twice.

Nobody EVER gets away with not coming back with MY change unless I've told them to keep it.

I think the cabbies are especially intimidating to women.They were asked the price before I got in the cab and obviously you expect change and you may tip but they never give you a chance to do that.My family wanted to report them but decided that we would not use taxis anymore and....well avoid eating out. Fact is that it shouldn't have to come to that.....!
 soul__seeker
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2014 9:26:56 PM
In Vancouver/the Lower Mainland I have never had a server not bring me change and have never experienced "aggressiveness" in the manner you describe. And I eat out for virtually all meals nearly every day.

I make a default tip of 15%. 20% or more for outstanding service. (note that I may adjust this downwards if the bill is a rather large in the multiple hundreds of dollars figure).

I will tip 5% if the service was poor. I will tip zero if I think the server was brutal. That said I believe that if people won't tip 15% for good service then you're downright cheap. Most servers do not get paid much in wages at all and survive mainly on tips. Vancouver is a very expensive place to try and exist and must be very difficult when on low or minimum wage.

Do you HAVE to pay that much in tips. No one will ever force you too. But we all know that servers don't get paid very much (mostly females - many who are single mothers) and upon entering their establishment it is simply common courtesy and etiquette on the customer's part to know that this is part of the deal when you come in whether its actually published on the menu prices or not. If this kind of tip is unexpected then you're either ignorant, rude or a cheap tightwad. You don't have to tip that much - but you're still a knob if you don't.
 Walts
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/10/2014 6:09:11 AM

Do you HAVE to pay that much in tips. No one will ever force you too. But we all know that servers don't get paid very much (mostly females - many who are single mothers) and upon entering their establishment it is simply common courtesy and etiquette on the customer's part to know that this is part of the deal when you come in whether its actually published on the menu prices or not. If this kind of tip is unexpected then you're either ignorant, rude or a cheap tightwad. You don't have to tip that much - but you're still a knob if you don't.

So, what you are saying, is because that an owner doesn't want to pay his staff what they should be paid for, we, the customer, by default have to pay? Or is that "should" pay?

Do you happen to know that there are a lot more people in Vancouver that "hurting" a lot more than a waitress or waiter? Some of them single parents too!!! What do you do for them?

At one point in my life, a 5% tip wasn't so bad. Now we are getting up to 20%. I'm sure my kid will probably see a 30%
"expectation" in her lifetime. Either the service or the food must be getting "better"????
 CharminC
Msg: 11
Posted: 3/10/2014 11:16:12 AM

So, what you are saying, is because that an owner doesn't want to pay his staff what they should be paid for, we, the customer, by default have to pay? Or is that "should" pay?

Do you happen to know that there are a lot more people in Vancouver that "hurting" a lot more than a waitress or waiter? Some of them single parents too!!! What do you do for them?

At one point in my life, a 5% tip wasn't so bad. Now we are getting up to 20%. I'm sure my kid will probably see a 30%
"expectation" in her lifetime. Either the service or the food must be getting "better"????)

This!!!!
******APPLAUSES******

I swear money makes some people complete wankers. That goes for both those ordering AND serving.
Please note, I said SOME.

If a person can afford it, out of respect, please do tip.
If not, then don't. It's a personal choice. It should NOT be mandatory nor it be made to make the person feel like shyt for not doing so or paying enough.
Be polite to the service provider and the service provider should be polite as well. Pay the bill. Tip/not tip and leave.
Simple as that, it ain't bloody rocket science.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/1/2014 7:47:56 PM
For me, tipping is personal, something between me and the server. I realized early in life that I could never serve the public and have always rewarded those who do. It's also an investment towards a nice meal the next time I visit that establishment since the servers tend to remember decent tippers.

10% - This is me subsidising the cheapskate restaurant industry who refuses to pay their staff minimum wages. I give this for the lowest level of service that I'd give a tip for (ie I wouldn't tip someone who was insulting and very rude for example)
15% - Standard tip for adequate service.
20% - Thank you, I had a nice time.
30% - You are awesome and I'm coming back because of you. This is usually after getting free drinks or deserts or something really nice like that.

Most importantly, my life experiences have taught me that it is of vital importance to treat the people who serve you your food, very well. That is just plain wise.

For the OP, you were treated unfairly and rudely. No one should ever walk away with your money and assume that the change is a tip. I don't know if that is a racism thing or an assertiveness thing but it's wrong no matter how you look at it. That sort of thing should always be reported, in my opinion.

With cabbies and delivery guys, they will often hesitate, hoping to hear "keep the change" so speak up and tell them "just give me a loonie" or whatever you want back. If you expect exact change, that might be seen as an insult. In a restaurant, I always expect them to come back with exact change AND a couple of those little mints too.
 alwaysyummy
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2014 7:00:22 PM
My friend pays cab drivers and restaurants by credit card and in that way she has control as to whether she wishes to tip or not.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/20/2014 1:37:10 PM
I get a monthly manicure and pedicure and it comes to about $85.00, I tip my gal 20 bucks. I think if you work on feet you deserve it. In restaurants I generally tip 20% but only on the food and drink portion; I'm not tipping on tax. And I don't find Vancouver any worse than anywhere else and I'm in Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton and Ottawa regularly.
 soul__seeker
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2014 7:30:57 PM

"expectation" in her lifetime. Either the service or the food must be getting "better"????

Well, the owner could certainly restructure his payscale and pay their wait staff more - but that would translate into higher prices, wouldn't it? (simple economics in a competitive marketplace will obviously dictate this). And then you wouldn't have any choice but to pay more in every instance, riiiggghhht? Do you follow???

Because the industry is structured the way it is, and MOST people (although clearly not all of you) actually understand what expectations are in this marketplace with respect to tips, this then allows you to have a choice - tip them for good service or don't when its not good - rather than pay a higher all inclusive price. Most wait staff wouldn't do their jobs if they only could rely on their existing wages.

You can tip when the service is good like the rest of us do so that your server will end up with a livable wage, or you can be a knob and allow everyone else to subsidize your sorry ass when you decide to play ignorant even though you realize that the entire industry structures their wait staff like this to give them an incentive to provide good service.

If they did it your way we all then have to pay higher prices (the equivalent of paying a tip anyways) but then we'd get much worse service on average. Get it?
 Walts
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/14/2014 7:00:28 AM

Well, the owner could certainly restructure his payscale and pay their wait staff more - but that would translate into higher prices, wouldn't it? (simple economics in a competitive marketplace will obviously dictate this). And then you wouldn't have any choice but to pay more in every instance, riiiggghhht? Do you follow???

Yep, hear this "argument" since forever. Even people that once had slaves whined about having to actually feed and house them. We now have automatic "checkouts" in grocery stores. Has the "cost" of the food gone down? It should be, according to your "simple economics" statement, shouldn't it? We eliminated a cashier from the equation, correct?

You can tip when the service is good like the rest of us do so that your server will end up with a livable wage, or you can be a knob and allow everyone else to subsidize your sorry ass when you decide to play ignorant even though you realize that the entire industry structures their wait staff like this to give them an incentive to provide good service.

You do know that subject matter here is the "expectation" of tips correct? Wage does not, by default include "tips". That is unless, you "expect" these tips just because you are in the "service industry". Thus the topic and question. Good service, you "may" get a tip. Shiaty service, you "definitely" won't, unless you are dealing with some who

I will tip 5% if the service was poor.

Do you believe in giving our children ribbons because they "participated" too????
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Why is so Tipping/gratitude so expected in Vancouver ?