Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Lipitor and weight gain      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 slowitalldown
Msg: 1
Lipitor and weight gainPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hi, I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem. After over a year of having very stable weight, with slight loss over time ( 5-6 pounds in the last 10 months) and feeling pretty good about my eating and exercise, my doctor started me on Lipitor for high choleresterol. The first week I gained 5 pounds, the secind week 1/2 pound and the third week another pound.

Since she also told me to get my weight lower due to high blood sugar (pre-diabetes) I am at a loss what to do! Also not feeling very good about the weight gain, obviously.

I've read up on Lipitor, and it mentions 2% report weight gain. Any suggestions?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 2
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 9:25:35 AM

I've read up on Lipitor, and it mentions 2% report weight gain. Any suggestions?

Stop taking junk like Lipitor and live a lifestyle that includes real food and exercise.
 satx78218
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 9:31:57 AM
"high" cholesterol and statins are money-sucking scams with lots of side effects for millions of people.

to repeat, lots of people with high cholesterol don't develop CVD and lots of people with low cholesterol die from CVD
 slowitalldown
Msg: 4
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 9:35:58 AM
I have stopped taking the Lipitor for now. However, my high cholesterol is most likely genetic and not caused by lifestyle-I have totally changed my lifestyle ( Working out for three years, worked with a dietician for a year, significant weight loss- I used to be plus sized, never exercised, etc) and my cholesterol has INCREASED over that time.

So, it's a hard decision to make- my mother has the same situation and has suffered small strokes.
 satx78218
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 12:27:06 PM
keep an eye on lipids and on inflammatory markers
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 3:49:35 PM
A drug can often cause you to have cravings ( doubt lipitor is in that group as they are usually taken off the market for causing diabetes) but what you eat is up to you.
2 percent is not the drug making you gain weight .

If 60 percent gained weight on the medication then you could safely assume its possibly interfering with insulin spikes in some way or does something that makes you want to EAT bad foods

Your LDL is not the problem.
Mine is high also and have had "the talk" but my ratio is 3.4
Your liver is pumping cholesterol to keep you alive and maybe more LDL if you aren't eating enough fat.
Brain tells liver"she is starving me",so it works to produce more.

Let me guess a Doc or your nutritionalist said low fat diet?
Wrong.

A proper ratio ( good to bad) is all I care about
Keep up the HDL and keep the triglycerides low ( sugar/processed food intake) and no worries.

Lipitor and other drugs to lower cholesterol or even thin the blood are to make money.
Why not eat plenty of healthy fats,veggies and no sugar foods/drinks?
Eat garlic
Ginger
Cayenne
Coconut oil
EV Olive oil
Cold water fish and flax oils
High fiber foods
Extra fiber with meals
Take vitamin E or eat vitamin E rich foods.
That's good for your heart, not drugs that have close to or zero potential to keep you living longer or better.

OF COURSE Do NOT stop taking anything a doctor has given you esp suddenly.
( disclaimer

-I have totally changed my lifestyle ( Working out for three years, worked with a dietician for a year, significant weight loss- I used to be plus sized, never exercised, etc) and my cholesterol has INCREASED over that time.

So what?

What is your ratio?

How high are your triglycerides and HDL?

I would worry about those numbers if anything and it would tell you if you are eating what you should be eating more than LDL will.

Do you even get a print out of the complete blood tests you and your insurance co are paying for or know what they mean?

slowitalldown
Msg: 7
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 6:17:24 PM
To clarify, my eating and exercise did NOT change. This is something I am very aware of. So, I had no unusual craving for food, I did not eat more than normally, and my exercise level was consistent.

From what I read weight gain is a side effect of Lipitor, but not a common one. I do not know why or how this works.

I think the advice to look more into other methods of staying healthy are good ones. Thank you everyone for the advice!
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 8
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:17:12 PM
Go an entire month without eating any foods that contain cholesterol or are inflammatory like processed grains (cereals, breads, etc.). Get your blood tested after a month and see what happens. Eating vegetal has to be better than taking a statin.
 DoritoMuncher
Msg: 9
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:59:28 PM
OP, take a good look at yourself, and be honest to yourself. Start from there, and you will see much better results.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 10
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 9:23:07 PM
I do not know what you mean Dorito. How about we take a look at you- oh right you didn't post a pic. I am well aware I am overweight. However, since I started working out AND lost a significant amount of weight, my cholesterol levels (both 'good' and 'bad') have skyrocketed. Therefor it doesn't seem likely I will be able to control it through weight loss alone.

I don't know why you think I am not being honest with myself, but I am realistic enough to know whatever someone posts here they will be attacked anyway.
 Skyr
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 9:51:57 PM
Posted By: satx78218 on 4/9/2013 357 AM

to repeat, lots of people with high cholesterol don't develop CVD and lots of people with low cholesterol die from CVD

Lots of people who can swim very well, end up drowning, and most people who can't swim, do not die of drowning.

A friend of mine drinks a bottle of Diet Coke everyday, and he doesn't have cancer. Therefore Diet Coke is 100% effective at preventing cancer.

Go figure.
 Skyr
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 10:02:46 PM
Posted By: Aristotle_Amadopolis on 4/9/2013 335 AM

Stop taking junk like Lipitor and live a lifestyle that includes real food and exercise.

Drugs are second line treatment to diet and exercise, but you could live the healthiest lifestyle and still have hyperlipidaemia. You can't choose your parents, or what they did before you were born.

Statins decrease the relative risk of fatal cardiovascular events in someone with hyperlipidaemia by about a quarter, and slightly less for all cause mortality. For some, this might not be enough to make it worthwhile taking a pill everyday.

Posted By: Specifictruths on 4/9/2013 212 PM

Go an entire month without eating any foods that contain cholesterol or are inflammatory like processed grains (cereals, breads, etc.).

Most cholesterol in our body is synthesised by our own cells, not from dietary sources, so it makes little difference.
 DoritoMuncher
Msg: 13
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/8/2013 10:14:17 PM
Yup, I also happened to know someone who had a can of coke for every morning. He was really fit, not because he was drinking the soda pop, but because he played a number of competitive sports. Some people see what they only want to see.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 3:05:25 AM

I am well aware I am overweight. However, since I started working out AND lost a significant amount of weight, my cholesterol levels (both 'good' and 'bad') have skyrocketed

^^^^^^^^^^
Your weight is not what makes LDL cholesterol high, its your liver/genetics so ignore those comments *exp* A relative of mine is over 100 pounds over weight and has low cholesterol compared to mine ( LDL)

Thats not the important number

But triglycerides are 300 compared to my 34 on ave.
He eats processed foods and sugars and I rarely partake

I repeat
Since your good HDL went up..look at your ratio.
Is it 5.6 or over ? Not good
Under 4.0? Not bad..

Its what you eat that makes the ratio good or bad.

Think of LDL like a * sort of thick sludge* add more HDL and it makes blood pass through your arteries slick.
Like adding water to dirt going through a garden hose or oil to an under lubricated engine.

Call and find out or ask for a copy of the complete print out of your blood work.

As far as weight gain you can control that.
After a significant weight loss you may have hit some plateau ( common) and thats usually because you are either not getting in enough food ( starvation mode) or the wrong foods.
 Skyr
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 3:30:39 AM

Think of LDL like a * sort of thick sludge* add more HDL and it makes blood pass through your arteries slick.
Like adding water to dirt going through a garden hose or oil to an under lubricated engine.

Not quite how it works. Whilst LDL particles are bigger and increase viscosity, (HDL have more protein to cholesterol, and are smaller and denser), it's not about how thick your blood is.

LDL transport cholesterol from the liver to the periperal tissues, whereas HDL picks them up and transports it back to the liver. LDL can cause the deposition of cholesterol in the arterial walls, thereby narrowing them and causing atherosclerosis which leads to heart attacks and strokes.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 3:51:20 AM
^^^^^^^
While you are technically correct

Was trying to speak in terms she could relate to, since it seems to me she has no idea of what ratios are as far as importance.

A visual so to speak.
 satx78218
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 7:16:20 AM
"Go an entire month without eating any foods that contain cholesterol"

doesn't help. avg body CREATES about 2000 mg/day of hyper-vital cholesterol (eg, hormones are derived from cholesterol, it's fundamental to the nervous system), so zero ingestion is no help.
 satx78218
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 7:23:53 AM
"since I started working out AND lost a significant amount of weight, my cholesterol levels (both 'good' and 'bad') have skyrocketed"

that's pretty weird, agreed.

My guess is that your metabolism was really screwed up with so much excess fat and it is still out of whack but curing itself. check your lipids, fasting glucose, inflammatory markers, BP and don't sweat the cholesterol.

if you insist, google "natural supplements to lower cholesterol" but don't expect rapid results. Even given the chance with excellent plant-based fresh food diet and moderate exercise, the obese body still need time to heal itself, months, not days or weeks.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:53:03 AM
If you must lower your LDL
Niacin ( reg) not the *no flush* kind has been used for many years to lower it.

Ask your physician about it.
100 max mg a day unless a physician is monitoring your liver enzymes.

You gradually can increase the dose but need to be monitored.

They have a new drug out now that uses niacin but plain niacin works just as effectively.

Some people take red yeast rice but it can have side effects also.
You will have a skin flush for about 15 minutes after ingestion of niacin( red blotches and feel warm).

Other things people use are
Apple pectin ( like whats in certo)
Garlic
Olive leaf extract
^^^^^safest bets and OLE can reduce blood pressure also in some individuals.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 20
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:08:10 AM
My weight has been stable for over a year, with a slight and gradual weight loss (5 pounds over about 10 months)- so no plateaus.

5 pounds in one week after starting Lipitor cannot be attributed to anything but that, considering I am very aware of what I eat and how much I exercise.

I stopped the Lipitor, anyway, as I am also experiencing muscle and joint pain (another side effect). My blood sugar is high and I need to bring that down, and that is very sensitive to weight.

I think I would rather die of a heart attack than complications from diabetes. I will look more into what you have said PP, thank you for some helpful comments.

Edit:

Yes, I have no idea what any of this stuff means so I really appreciate the help, and knowing what to ask my doctor.
 satx78218
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:03:27 AM
"I think I would rather die of a heart attack than complications from diabetes"

one of the "side effects" of diabetes is CVD, diabetic neuropathy, peripheral gangrene, and renal failure ARE slower. :)
 slowitalldown
Msg: 22
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:07:37 AM
ASk any doctor what they would like to die from and they say heart attack. Spare me a slow death.
 Skyr
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 12:56:29 PM

ASk any doctor what they would like to die from and they say heart attack. Spare me a slow death.

Actually, they say pneumonia is the old mans friend.

I'm not sure a heart attack is a particularly pleasant way to go. Quick perhaps, but hardly pleasant- that whole sense of impending doom. If you survive a heart attack and become a cardiac cripple, that's even worse.
 Just___Jim
Msg: 24
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 5:00:08 PM

Actually, they say pneumonia is the old mans friend.

Yes, but can" I still die with my boots on too?" lol

And as Woody Allen I think once said,"I'm not afraid of dying,but don't want to be around when it happens." lol

op, imo you need to get a glyclemic chart and be discipline to eating non spiking foods as pp & others has said many

times before here in moderation. Not easy but can be done with being active as your high blod sugars make you want to eat more,a double edge sword,sorry to say. But, It is for many that can be controlled.
good luck
 slowitalldown
Msg: 25
Lipitor and weight gain
Posted: 4/9/2013 6:55:21 PM
I am not as worried about controlling the blood sugar as right now it is high enough to be a concern but not high enough to treat. And hopefully with diet I can manage it. Its the cholesterol which may prove tricky without medication.

But thank you to everyone who wrote and made suggestions, it was very helpful.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Lipitor and weight gain