Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Facebook and Women      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ToFishOrNotToFish9
Msg: 5
Facebook and WomenPage 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Why don't you delete her? It goes both ways!
 Maleman999
Msg: 6
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/8/2013 7:46:36 PM
How do you think people end up with hundreds of Facebook "friends"?
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 8
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:00:09 PM
several reasons. you guys were talking at one time and did'nt enjoy it anymore. She has probably in hundreds friend .may be forgot about you . why dont you ask her? stalker dont ask .
 five-marie
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:06:39 PM
You're over thinking this. I have a lot of men on my Facebook I never talk to. I could delete them, it never occured to me. They haven't deleted me either, neither one of us cares enough to have even thought about it I guess.
If it bothers you, delete her, or talk to her. Don't take Facebook so seriously.
 RB_64
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:16:27 PM
Agree with Five-Marie.....you are over-thinking FB friendships. If you are still interested, contact her. If you are not interested and bothered by the social media connection, then unfriend her. If it really doesn't matter, and really it shouldn't, then do nothing. I have hundreds of FB friends, I can't possibly chat with everyone all the time. The only person I ever unfriended was my sister because she was making judgmental posts on my page (ended up refriending her). I considered defriending my mom for the same reason, but she is old and just doesn't get social media ethics.
 _Passion4life
Msg: 12
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/8/2013 8:32:32 PM
Everyone on my FB is on there because I have selected them to be there. There for I only have less that 300 ppl. And I like it that way. As far as friending a lover, I have added 2, but one is like u in the fact that he deletes me and adds me so many times, I cant even keep count. I might need to check it so see where I stand in his life at the moment! lol

FB is BS!!!!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 13
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/8/2013 9:16:15 PM
Anyone that takes Facebook as a literal romantic relationship tool and dating mechanism needs to get their head examined. There are several people in FB that have friend totals in the THOUSANDS - there's no conceivable way you can prove that one is obligated to communicate with EVERYONE in there.

And guess what? It's the same way in here. Nobody is obligated to reply to ANY messages they don't want to, and they can block anyone that turns them off, for whatever reason. Also those 'meet me' messages are NOT true notes of romantic interest -- it's just a way for people to 'bookmark' a profile to go back and read it again later.

I think the trouble with online dating and social media sites is that people feel they have the right to be heard...
-- You DO have the right to put in your profile whatever the hell you want,
-- and You DO have the right to message people whatever you feel like saying (at least within decency standards)
-- but - and this is a big BUT - Nobody HAS to listen to you. People can walk away from your 'speech' just the same way people on the street would walk away from a public protest of something. People can block you out and walk away - for whatever reason they feel like. You have no control over that - and you never will. You can do things to try and gain people's attention - but you can never, EVER demand it.

My advice to you is to try some off-line communication. Unplug. Dating happens in the Real World, anyway. Find out how the give-and-take of a normal conversation happens again. Sometimes a dose of the real world helps make people realize again just how humbling the whole dating experience is supposed to be.
 abmccray
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/8/2013 9:32:18 PM
Only posts from the friends that you actually:

a) contact on facebook
b) visit their pages
c) get contacted by
d) comment on/like posts or vice versa

Show up in your feed or rank in the top level of chat ranking. Otherwise, you don't even really notice them. Therefore, you don't interest her enough for her to pay you any attention, and she doesn't notice/care when you're online, probably.

If you're constantly messaging her or commenting on/liking her stuff, and you get nothing in return, shes just ignoring you, and you shouldn't be doing that anyway.

edit: And yeah, I don't delete people either. That's just extra effort. The only time I bother to delete people is when they have annoying or bigoted wall posts, really.
 the_biggavell
Msg: 18
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:17:25 AM
Human resources
 spot4username
Msg: 20
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:26:59 AM
Facebook. You're doing it wrong.

The very simple fact is that women like to have a big number when it comes to the "friends list". They never remove anyone. Do you really believe anyone has 500 friends or is it more likely there is an unspoken competition to get the biggest number?

^^^ This is rubbish. If all the women you know are like this you need to make new friends.
 spot4username
Msg: 23
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:39:34 AM

This is rubbish.

Says the woman who probably has over 500 close "facebook friends"

Wrong. I don't have anywhere near that many friends. If a person is my friend there they are my actual friend or family. With the exception of those who live far away I see and speak with the people on my friend's list on a regular basis. My page is also locked down as far as security. I'm not even searchable. As I said before; it sounds like you need different friends.
 abmccray
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:41:12 AM

There are only a few different reasoning's to this IMHO...either they were interested to begin with, then what they saw on my FB page made them reconsider, or maybe they were just lying POS and were fake profiles just to get to see my personal things...

When I've done this, it's because their dating site profile didn't show a wide enough range of images to see what they really looked like. Knowing that tagged images on Facebook give a better perspective, I would look at those pictures, and if they were below - par, I'd just stop talking to them gradually. That has happened quite a few times and I'm sure some are still on my list because i never really bother cleaning it. I'm sure that's what probably happens most of the time when people "disappear" once adding someone to FB. Otherwise, it's probably opinions and such they read in status updates that turn them off.
 wonderland013
Msg: 28
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/9/2013 4:22:34 PM
^^^^ very right. haha i've got told to literally f*** off for making conversation so no its not the best place to meet females.. they think most guy's on there trying to chat them up are perv's. just how it is.

all i can say is women and facebook= very little conversation for you.
and a big ego boost for them. not surprising when the average woman has comment after comment by every guy AND girl, on every pic they upload of themselves telling them how "beautiful" they are etc etc..

i wonder if the average guy on there receives that kind of attention hey?? hhmmm..
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 32
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/9/2013 8:00:27 PM
Just because you have a link to a form of communication doesn't mean anyone has to feel compelled to use it.

How many phone numbers are on your cell phone that you just don't call?

I still have my Grandpa's apartment phone number from when he was living at the Senior Center on my phone, and he's been deceased for 10 years. Just because I KEPT the number doesn't mean I'm going to CALL the number and EXPECT him to answer --- right?

It's waaaaay better to think of Facebook as a TV network with all kinds of 'channels' made up by people you know. You turn it on, log in, flip through the channels, get entertained, leave a comment and get back out. It's not your private Rolodex or 'little virtual black book', and it's certainly not any form of 'dating'.
 ColeenAnn
Msg: 37
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/14/2013 1:05:24 PM
Some people just collect fb friends to look more popular.
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 39
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/15/2013 6:56:45 AM
Um, why would she delete you from Facebook if there wasn't an argument or something? Facebook "friends" aren't "friends, they're "acquaintances". My Facebook "friends" range from real life friends, old friends from the past, family members and co-workers. It's nice to have a medium to keep in touch without being directly involved in each other's lives. Lets' be honest, we don't have time to be good friends with everyone we meet. We're good friends with a handful of people and the rest are contacts and acquaintances.

If your Facebook account is only for true friends then decide who your true friends are get rid of the rest. I don't speak to anyone online forever. We catch up years down the line if the mood strikes us. You sound kind of needy honestly. Are you wanting more than friendship from her?
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 41
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/16/2013 1:02:23 PM
Believe it or not, there was a world without Facebook and it turned with no problem. Now we know too much about nothing and most of it is lies and what others decide to present. So...in the interest of sanity, I don't even have a FB account, I'm not on Twitter, or any of those other stupid apps. Somehow I've survived and doing just fine, thank you very much.
 OutMind
Msg: 42
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/16/2013 1:33:05 PM
Girl:

Friend me in Facebook.

Me:

I don't put people I date on facebook.

Girl:

But we have not gone on a date. I just want to

I think FB is useful to use to get a better idea of what someone looks like (usually through the photos their friends tag them in) but I wouldn't use it to analyse anything else. I've been guilty of freaking out when a guy I was into added another woman as a friend, felt like a right plonker, so I no longer use that as a means to 'assess' someone!

Me:

Nahh.

Girl:

Block, block, block.

Me:
Who cares.
 abmccray
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/17/2013 3:58:59 PM
I don't approve friend requests from anyone I don't know. I don't have many FB friends because I'm not close with that many people. 50? 100? 500? 1,000? That's just ridiculous.

Um, 50 is simply family + friendly coworkers/recent ex-coworkers for most people. Not to mention old schoolmates you came across on there, or other old childhood friends that you may have lost contact with and now reconnect with casually. And current friends, and friends of friends that hang around your circles. How is 50 "ridiculous?" Do you live in the middle of nowhere or not get at least SOMEWHAT chummy with coworkers or network? The average is something like 150, counting all of that, for the average person in their 20's/30's, without "stacking" to any degree.

The ~500 area is where people are just purposely adding for numbers.
 4ms4me
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 4/17/2013 4:35:22 PM
Here's a video you all might enjoy, all about the perils of meeting a FB friend, face-to-face:

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/6ga5
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 61
Facebook and Women
Posted: 9/15/2013 10:42:50 AM
The Native Americans called it Counting Coup

welcome to the Digital 2.o version of that
 sexandthepof
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 9/15/2013 11:06:10 AM
Just to keep score, I guess. I don't do FB, although I know how, but I think someone may think "the more the better", and she/he is more popular by having a lot of "friends". I know this girl has 1000+ friends on FB, and she's quite popular in this city. Think about all the celebs. They have thousands or millions of "friends" and "followers" (on Twitter). But how many of their "friends" they would talk to?
 firefly416
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 9/15/2013 12:22:50 PM
I have 93 FB friends, none of whom I "met" on any dating site. I'd say about every other month I look for people to delete. I found that if you approve someone you don't really care about and then delete them 2 weeks later, they pretty much never find out.

I was warned by an ex coworker years ago to never befriend any man you want to date. But I went against that rule and got into several upsetting situations a couple years ago when I had one main boyfriend whom everyone knew about but others I was thinking of as "backup burner" guys. So everytime I posted pictures with the guy I loved, it upset someone. I want to be free to write at 3 a.m. that I'm depressed or lonely or whatever. I don't want some guy I'm trying to convince I'm wonderful to read that.

In general I find FB disappointed. I was excited to reconnect with several friends I hadn't seen in years. But the ones I probably knew the best in person tend to be the ones who never write. I've never met about 5 of my FB friends but I know them through cat or dog groups.
 lookinfouryoutoo
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 9/15/2013 10:39:25 PM
I would have no problems deleting someone if they no longer talked to me. If they aren't really a friend, why pretend? Get rid of her. Out of courtesy, I might send her a message to let her know I was deleting her from Facebook due to a lack of contact on her end.

To deal with the people who post too much annoying crap, like updates from the football game every 3 mins now that it's football season, I don't allow their posts on my timeline. Now I only see post from people who share only interesting things.
 cooldog65
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Facebook and Women
Posted: 9/16/2013 6:26:39 AM

Why do women keep guys as facebook friends and never talk to them? A specific example I am thinking of involves me and someone I was talking to. I do not want to be rude to her but why have me on FB if she wont talk to me. I have not tried to contact her seen our conversation kinda dried up. Why does she keep me if she has not intetion of using FB to talk to me?

BLD...

I know I could delete her but I do not want to close the door if there is a chance at restarting the conversation but also balancing it so as not to become a stalker either. Any thoughts?

Close the door or you will get dragged into the BLD quicksand.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Facebook and Women