Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Good Morning" Text      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mingogo
Msg: 1
view profile
History
"Good Morning" TextPage 1 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Does anybody else get these? Does it annoy the crap out of you too?
You wake up to a text from someone you went on 1-3 dates with that simply says "Good Morning" with a smiley face, or something along those lines.
It drives me crazy! I never know what to say back, besides just repeating what they said. Its a terrible conversation starter. Sometimes I feel inclined to not even answer, but to not be rude I usually do, but try and turn it into an actual conversation.

Haha, perhaps I'm weird. I'd understand if you received it from someone you were in a relationship with, however in the beginning stages of dating, it drives me mad and I feel smothered!
Anybody else feel the same? Does anyone actually send those messages?
 liftnw8z2
Msg: 2
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:40:29 AM
Can't say I have this issue - haven't found anyone worth sharing a phone number with.
 Stubidooo
Msg: 3
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:45:07 AM
I never find it "annoying" to have someone tell me they are thinking of me.

Feel sorry for those that do.
 sactowndude
Msg: 4
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:51:26 AM
Maybe you should tell him that it bothers you then he will get the message that you aren't into him, I personally like them.
 StLCardsChick
Msg: 5
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 9:54:27 AM
I agree. It's nice to know someone thinks enough of me to say Good Morning. Maybe you shouldn't give your phone number out to guys that annoy you? I'm sure if they knew this they probably wouldn't want you to have a good morning :)
 shine1274
Msg: 6
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:00:21 AM
My best customers are allowed to text me. I am more annoyed when I get woke up from a sound sleep with a guitar question. It happens just often enough that I don't silence my phone when i go to sleep. They come at me when I least expect it. A thoughtful text would be a nice change.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 7
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:00:35 AM
OP, I think you are weird about it. I can understand annoyance if it's super early in the morning that woke you up. Sure, I'd advise someone not to send something until 11AM or something. But all in all, it's not creepy if you've hit it off with someone and a couple of dates have gone by.

But calm down -- it's not meant to be a conversation starter. It's not meant to start one. It's just a cute little 'thinking of you'. That's it.

If that's too strong, then you aren't that into them, that a little non-conversation text sent in the morning freaked ya out. :)
 shes_the_one
Msg: 8
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:08:09 AM
I get one every morning from my current flame, and it makes me giggle like a school girl. It's not meant to start a conversation, simply says "thinking of you"
 wolftxusa66
Msg: 9
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:08:25 AM

I never know what to say back

Echoing the 'good morning' phrase has been a tried and true reply. Isn't that what you'd say in real life?

Alternatively, try:
'Go to hell'
'Choke on your scrambled eggs'
'Stop being clingy'
'You don't know me. My morning sucks! Who are you to tell me what to have?"
 tooborednow
Msg: 10
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:12:12 AM

Good Morning Text Does anybody else get these? Does it annoy the crap out of you too?

They annoy me too.
So far IME the good morning text after the first few dates have always soon translated into "I am actually really insecure. But I hide it by pretending to be thoughtful, thinking of you. The good morning text, and other texts like it are basically the same as me popping in to your place and saying it's because I was worried about you or thinking of you. I really just need the assurance that you still like me. I don't want to learn to communicate, I just want to keep manipulating you into giving me signs you like me and are going to stick around.
So I'm going to go ahead and start needing some constant texting contact throughout the day, and if you don't respond right away, like immediately, with something that is less boring and mundane than what I send to you so I don't lose interest in you, but nothing too serious otherwise I think there's something wrong, then you're not serious or interested in me and are using me."

Its a terrible conversation starter.

It's socially inept retardation.
Basically on par with staring into each others eyes and one person says "hi."

it drives me mad and I feel smothered! Anybody else feel the same?

Naw. Not really driven mad and smothered, just somewhat annoyed at what it seems to represent.
 Maleman999
Msg: 11
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:28:59 AM
Would you prefer "Lousy morning. Isn't it?" Are these "Good Morning" texts waking you up, or are you just annoyed getting them at any time in the morning? If they are waking you up. turn off your cell phone when you go to sleep. If you were really into the guy and thought he is hot, I bet the texts wouldn't bother you and would be annoyed if you weren't getting them.
 c_deacon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:31:18 AM
Just put your phone on "do not disturb" and only allow those few favorites, like family, to be able to get through.....

Texting is a personal thing, and what you have to decide OP, is whether you feel the need to respond or not??? I get many texts from others that are informational, and my response to them will come the next time we talk on the phone, or when I see them in person. I feel there is no need to respond to each and every text message, and those that know me, or want to know me better, will understand this right from the start.

Having someone text good morning to you, is just a nice thought on their part, and the only becomes a problem if that person now thinks or demands a response because they wanted to say good morning to you. A statement is just that, and I do not see a question in that comment, so relax and enjoy the compliment.

cd
 THEMEPACK
Msg: 13
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:32:22 AM
One of my GF's used to get them all the time...the nerve of those men disturbing our morning quickie...
 mingogo
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:40:05 AM
I don't know. I feel the same way about "What's up" texts. I just don't understand them. It'd be completely different receiving a text "I woke up this morning and giggled to myself about that joke you said" or "Hey I just heard a song on the radio by your favorite band!" or "Remember that guy with the 6 foot beard we saw? Well I just saw a seven footer..."

But saying, "hi", "good morning","how are you", "what's up" just grinds my gears. Mostly because the main responses that come to mind are "hey" "good morning" "I'm fine, you?" and "not much" come to mind, not because I am boring, but because that is how I would answer those phrases in a real life conversation. They are meant only as a polite passing, and doing so with a text message seems asinine to me.
I put up with it, because apparently, I'm realizing now from this thread, it is quite normal.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 15
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:41:16 AM

Does anybody else get these? Does it annoy the crap out of you too?
You wake up to a text from someone you went on 1-3 dates with that simply says "Good Morning" with a smiley face, or something along those lines. It drives me crazy!

OP, perhaps you shouldn't be looking a gift horse in the mouth. You should be happy that the guy liked you enough to contact you again. He could have just slept with you and then disappeared after deciding that he could do better.
 mingogo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:41:19 AM

Please stop dating OP.

You come to every single one of my threads just to say this, I hear you loud and clear.
 Vesta_ceres
Msg: 17
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:41:38 AM
I don't mind them, so long as I have a rapport with the sender.
 ManOfAdventure28
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:50:49 AM
I guess you need to stop going on dates with such natural conversationalists.....
 Advwench
Msg: 19
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:59:12 AM

I never find it "annoying" to have someone tell me they are thinking of me.

Feel sorry for those that do.

Yep. It usually puts a smile on my face =)
 sportsbabe50
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:18:35 AM
I rather enjoy them- I like knowing someone is thinking about me
if it's mutual- if not you should tell him/her
 mmmkayyy
Msg: 21
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:19:35 AM
I like those texts....it is nice to be thought of. As long as it is not a 3AM "haayyyy i am so drunk"text lol
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 22
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:20:40 AM
Sounds like you wake up crabby like my daughter. I think a quick "Good Morning!" text is sweet. It shows he is thinking about you. A prompt reply is unnecessary.
 iamthebbd4u
Msg: 23
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:23:59 AM
Try reading this book by John Bradshaw "The Family a new way to self esteem" It is very enlightening about the way we choose relationships.

Please don't take the title of the book as a personal attack on you. It is not intended that way.
 CasOliii
Msg: 24
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:36:15 AM
A) I love those--it makes me feel like they were thinking about me
B) I send those and see nothing wrong with it once and awhile
 PinkPrincess47
Msg: 25
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/9/2013 1:17:45 PM
I like knowing someone is thinking about me and lets me know. I like to send them also to let them know I am thinking about them too.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Good Morning" Text