Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How to recover from a awkward first kiss????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 private-pilot
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How to recover from a awkward first kiss????Page 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Long story short.
I found out today while on a date that a woman I have been on a few dates with can see us in a possible relationship and that I am not in the friend zone.
After finding that out I decided to invite her back to my place to continue to hang out.
We hang out for about 2 extra hours and she decides she had to leave because she has to be at work early the next day.
I walk her to her car and give a meaningful goodnight hug and go in to give her a kiss on the cheek (saving the lips for next date)
She turns her head in for a kiss on the lips.....(awkward moment follows)............................. I go in for a redo a give her a short kiss on the lips........we both laugh it off and say we will try that again some other time lol it really was funny to me.

Questions:
Guys: How should I have recovered from this situation?
Ladies: Is it possible for guys to recover from that situation?
 ImReadyForUnow
Msg: 2
How to recover from a awkward first kiss????
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:01:11 PM
The two of you have a funny story to tell your grand kids one day.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 3
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:03:50 PM
Laugh it off. It's not important. Silly things happen all the time. Nobody is perfect the first time. You're just getting to know each other.

Don't you feel better now?

Next time say, "I want to kiss you."
 RB_64
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 11:09:09 PM
It sounds like you had a great time together. Girls don't expect perfection every time.....humility wins out win an awkward moment can be laughed off. Next time the moment will be right and your timing/her timing will be in synch. Enjoy your next kiss!
 OutMind
Msg: 5
Posted: 4/10/2013 6:19:32 AM
Recover?

From what?

Dude, be happy. That is an awesome thing to happen.
 Zuglo65
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2013 6:27:50 AM

Have awkward sex. She'll forget about that awkward kiss real fast!

Well there you go..LOL
I am with a "why do you feel you need to recover" crowd.
It's a good sign that she turned so you can kiss her lips.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2013 7:09:32 AM
Dont worry about recovering from it. The best romances always start out a tiny bit awkward.

It will make a great story. Her girlfriends will probabaly find it endearing and it gives you fantastic text material!

" I cant wait to try that kiss again." will probably get her thinking about you...:)

Congratulations on the awkward first kiss...it really is a good sign.

:)
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 8
Posted: 4/10/2013 7:17:18 AM
I'd expect this question from my preteen kids about their fist kiss ever & not an adult. If it's not something you two can laugh about & move on from then you both have a lot of growing up to do.
 RB_64
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 4/10/2013 7:18:59 AM
"Have awkward sex" - best response. Perhaps not as recoverable, but still funny.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 10
Posted: 4/10/2013 8:34:10 AM
Don't worry about it; don't say anything unless she bring it up first, which she probably won't...we've all had them and survived.
@Chef...what's the deal with "u bang her"...that is so rude and disrespectful.
 MrOffWhite
Msg: 11
Posted: 10/20/2014 9:53:36 AM

Guys: How should I have recovered from this situation?

Since you can't travel back in time and change this, this question is pointless.

But I can give you hope and tell you that I had a similar but even more awkward first kiss experience that lead to a four year long relationship.
 basilisk123
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2014 9:59:33 AM
I will go with "punch her in the throat and run away"....

No? Damn it, I was never good with guessing games!

Seriously though, laughing it off is the best way.
 Dee4166
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:07:17 AM
Yup...laugh it off and the NEXT time...Look her straight in the eye and say, with a TOTALLY deadpan expression..."I'm going to kiss you now...please stay still..."

It will probably ease the tension and hopefully lead to a GREAT kiss...
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 14
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:13:26 AM
What is it that you have to recover from?

You were with her in your place for two hours and did not kiss during that time? You waited until she was leaving to initiate the first kiss?

Dude, when a woman comes to your place, more than likely there are two things that can or will take place. One, heavy petting and making out, second, sex.

Neither one happened, so she needed to leave. At which point you decide to kiss her?
If there's a next time. Go kiss her at the BEGINNING, then pull back and see where it goes.
 TerrieLynnC70
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2014 1:40:52 PM
I also fail to the the problem here....................
 petula1908
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/21/2014 4:41:48 AM
after a few dates you hadnt kissed yet??? She has been to your house and hung out so why didnt you try for a more successful connection????>
 powin45
Msg: 17
Posted: 10/21/2014 5:56:25 AM
A lot of awkward things happen when you take things further.
 c0mplex0ne
Msg: 18
Posted: 10/21/2014 6:47:03 AM
OP, this post is from about 18 months ago...how about an update? Have your kissing skills gotten any better, or are you still "awkward"?
 arwen52
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2014 10:34:52 AM

Ladies: Is it possible for guys to recover from that situation?

No, it's not possible. Ever.

This is why hardly anyone ever gets past the first kiss.

There are a whole bunch of ways to recover. One could say, "Oh, my, can we try that again?"

Don't make too big a deal out of it. But learn from this. When a first kiss is memorable, a woman never forgets. Don't move quickly. Awkward kisses usually come about because the initiator moved too quickly. If you had moved slowly, you would have known exactly where your lips were landing.

Make your second kiss memorable and that first one will just be something you chuckle about later.
 traveltheworld811
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2014 1:16:07 AM
Just how shallow and superficial and stupid do you think women are? I can't think of any woman who would be stupid enough to self-destruct a potential relationship because of an awkward first kiss. It seems odd to me that you're concerned that this might be a possibility. I think you are really underestimating the intelligence and character of women in general.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > How to recover from a awkward first kiss????