Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > a good book on online dating advice?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ImReadyForUnow
Msg: 2
a good book on online dating advice?Page 1 of 1    
Your profile name is "Ironballs" and you need a book to help you with online dating LOL.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 3
a good book on online dating advice?
Posted: 4/30/2013 3:43:52 PM
Psychology Today has excellent articles about online dating and relationships. Type "online dating" or"relationships" in the search box on the Psychology Today website and you will find many excellent articles including:

"Eight Ways to Make Online Dating Sites Work for You" by Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D.

"The Pros and Cons of Online Dating" by Stephen J. Betchen, Ph.D.

"Why Online Dating is a Poor Way to Find Love" by Key Sun, Ph.D.

"The Science of Intimate Relationships" by Alice Boyes, Ph.D.

"Connecting Through Online Dating" by Vivian Diller, Ph.D.
 Pinky127
Msg: 4
Posted: 4/30/2013 11:43:59 PM
Can anyone recommend a good book on online dating advice?

Op,instead of a book.....have you considered spending some time on here reading all the different Threads in the Forums.

It's the best "education" you'll ever need on 'Dating'
 RyanohRyan
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/1/2013 3:49:27 PM
In my opinion, this is the only book you need when it comes to dating in general:

"The Manual: What women want and how to give it to them" W. Anton

books on online dating are a waste of your time. Online dating has been around for barely a decade. We are in a culture lag. Too many unknowns.
 annywn
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/1/2013 6:11:57 PM
Read If the Budda Dated. It isn't necessarily for online, but is a good read.
 35brock
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/2/2013 6:21:06 AM
I never read a book or article that I considered to be good online dating advice. Sure there might be some specific parts that I agreed with. But overall I felt these articles or books were mediocre at best
 longhaired189
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/2/2013 9:10:05 PM
I kind of wish the term Online Dating would go away. There really is no such thing. There is dating, and using an online service to facilitate meeting someone. It's stunning and a little depressing to read on the forums how many guys (primarily guys) are having a tough time even getting someone to meet them, as well as the tales of a month of exchanging emails without ever meeting someone. Methinks some people aren't getting the point of what this is all about.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/2/2013 9:28:02 PM

Longhaired: I kind of wish the term Online Dating would go away. There really is no such thing. There is dating, and using an online service to facilitate meeting someone. It's stunning and a little depressing to read on the forums how many guys (primarily guys) are having a tough time even getting someone to meet them, as well as the tales of a month of exchanging emails without ever meeting someone.

Does this happen primarily with men? No man has ever stood me up, nor disappeared after emailing and talking on the phone. I use a screening process that may help help others:

1. After email exchanges, ask for his name.
2. Search for his name on Google and Facebook. I'm trying to see whether his story checks out.
3. Initial telephone conversation. Check for good listening and conversational skills. Ask key questions:

a. How long have you been single?
b. Have you had a long term, loving relationship since your divorce?
c. What are you looking for in a relationship?

4. If he passes these tests, schedule a meet-and-greet in a public place.
 longhaired189
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/3/2013 8:14:19 AM

Does this happen primarily with men? No man has ever stood me up, nor disappeared after emailing and talking on the phone

I'm not sure, just going by what I read on the forums. I read a fair amount of posts from members who do quite a bit of back and forth online, sometimes for weeks, without ever meeting the person. It doesn't make much sense to me.
 Mr_Nationwide
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/4/2013 9:09:38 AM
You can look up books from Bobby Rio or DeAnna Loraine. They're one of the best dating coaches in the US.
 LunaSea223
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/4/2013 11:59:40 AM
I think the Forums are the best way to learn about online dating. Seriously.
 35brock
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/5/2013 8:54:14 PM

I think the Forums are the best way to learn about online dating. Seriously.

Forums are good for entertainment. But there are many things mentioned in the forums that I considered to be misguided at best to outright ridiculous.
 spilling_fire
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/6/2013 1:27:18 PM

Forums are good for entertainment. But there are many things mentioned in the forums that I considered to be misguided at best to outright ridiculous.

But you do realize that it's real men and women (even if some are outright ridiculous) giving advice based on their experiences? I don't think you could get more solid advice from a book written by an author that may have never actually used a dating site to date.

I treat the advice on here like I treat any advice I get in life: only 50% of it is actually valuable and the other 50% of the advice is born out of bitterness/fear/regret/ridiculousness.
 Bearfish13
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/6/2013 2:04:57 PM
Books? unless you wanna be very technical about it then consult the book but i wouldn't..

one that i have looked at here and there was "Dating for Dummies" but it isnt meant to be meant to be used as something you live and die by, you just need to go out and experience it for yourself, learn the do's and donts on your own.. if you wish to do so

online dating there are pro's and con's to it, but if you learn to play it the right way then you can be very successful in finding a relationship here without even having to consult a book
 Kentish-Man
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/6/2013 2:13:40 PM
In my opinion, this is the only book you need when it comes to dating in general:

"The Manual: What women don't want but you give them anyway " Ara Pist
 35brock
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/7/2013 6:50:27 AM
But you do realize that it's real men and women (even if some are outright ridiculous) giving advice based on their experiences? I don't think you could get more solid advice from a book written by an author that may have never actually used a dating site to date.

I treat the advice on here like I treat any advice I get in life: only 50% of it is actually valuable and the other 50% of the advice is born out of bitterness/fear/regret/ridiculousness.

I don't think a book about internet dating would be much better. But IMO only 25-30% of the things I read on the forums would be helpful advice. Even if some of these things worked for them, it may not work for me.
 forumiteinca
Msg: 19
Posted: 12/25/2013 10:53:50 AM
What are you looking for actually? Online dating is similar to parenting, in that there is no right or wrong to it. It boils down to what feels right for you. Every individual weighs the pros and cons of things for themselves. And in turn, everyone has their own idea(s) about online dating and all the ins and outs of it. Some have written a book about it - but be realistic about that - their objective is not to help you, but to make money - that is why books are published. You can be a sucker and pay money for something that you can learn by doing - using your own common sense as a guide. Via the internet, there is so much information available to all of us (no matter what the subject - with the exception I have found to my chagrin of how a cistern pump should be assembled) that you do not need to spend money on a book. If you really want to read a book (and some of us still like to do that from time to time), check out your local library.

I like to think of online dating as being the modern version of a blind date.

If I were asked what one thing is important about online dating it would be: go for it. If you are serious about dating, you have to get involved and that means putting yourself out there. Nothing will change if you simply post a profile on an online dating site. You have to get involved. That means emailing the guys AND actually meeting with them. Use the dating site as an introduction, just as with a blind date used to be. Go from there.

Good Luck !!!
 chill78
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/26/2013 5:50:51 AM
I doubt I would read a book about online dating. I have seen/heard "online dating experts" give their opinions on TV and radio shows. I disagreed with many of the things they mentioned.
Show ALL Forums  > Ask A Girl  > a good book on online dating advice?