Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Lowered Standards" is really a lame excuse for being Human      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 1
"Lowered Standards" is really a lame excuse for being HumanPage 1 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Have you ever lowered your standards for a date?

I know from experience that anytime I have dropped mine, I've regretted it.

OK, this may be a rant thread of sorts; but I'm tired of the 'broken record' of that reply above. Hopefully this thread could lead to some productive self-examination when it comes to the online dating experience...

How many people have SERIOUSLY said to themselves BEFORE a date...
"Well, this guy/gal certainly doesn't meet up with my standards, but I'm bored and lonely - so THIS time I'll make an exception." ?
I'm guessing few to none. Most people go into a date experience with a least a smidge of optimism; right?

Yet MANY people come in here to talk about their post-date experiences complaining about doing just that. I'm calling B.S. on that crap. You may be trying to be nice about NOT bashing your date directly in your rants - OK, that's understandable - but saying you 'lowered your standards' is just a backhanded way of saying, "I don't need to change because I'm better than that." -- No, you're not. You're human like the rest of us. Flawed. Sinners. Problematic people-picker prone to poking powerful (but painful) plays at imperfection.

I wish people in online dating would recognize that your 'dream date' is a unicorn, a myth, a fabled being that doesn't really exist. ANY time you agree to meet up with a REAL human, you ARE 'lowering your standards', because you are 'settling' for something less than your imaginary Best Date. If the date turns out well, for some mysterious reason - NOBODY complains about not meeting 'standards', even though that person across the table was CLEARLY a flawed, REAL human being.

If the date didn't go well, there are a litany of reasons brought forth - but my hope is, instead of using the 'lowering your standards' generic excuse, you admit the truth - that you decided to give real life a try, and YOU still couldn't get past the flaws YOU found out they had. Healthy relationships deal with ANY issue the other may face, because you are a TEAM - so having 'standards' or not - you gotta compromise SOMEthing on your end to get along with the other side.

People like to look elsewhere - blame other people - or generic factors beyond their control - or mythical 'standards' that got compromised because their 'people picker' broke. It's time to own up to your OWN beliefs getting in the way of real life.

How many times have you admitted you didn't get along with a date because YOU couldn't handle it? That you were not willing to compromise some XX belief YOU have for the sake of the relationship?
 tooborednow
Msg: 2
Lowered Standards is really a lame excuse for being Human
Posted: 5/2/2013 11:46:21 PM

I'm tired of the 'broken record' of that reply above.

It's just a shortcut to explain a complex thought and decision process.

Most people go into a date experience with a least a smidge of optimism; right?

Hopefully most people go into a date experience with at least smidge of attraction.
IMO that's the important thing.
As "attracted" is more of a range rather than an absolute.
It's a sliding scale between repulsed to neutral to attracted, and there are a lot of gradations in between, and it constantly shifts based on the information and feedback people receive through interaction.

If most people went into a date experience with at least a smidge of optimism then pessimists would never date.
Optimism isn't all that relevant factor, IMO, at least in comparison to attraction.

saying you 'lowered your standards' is just a backhanded way of saying, "I don't need to change because I'm better than that."

IMO (although somewhat dependent upon how it's phrased) the saying "lowered your standards" is mostly used as a short cut method of saying "I didn't feel overwhelming attraction to them. But for (insert a long list of a variety of reasons here, like attraction factors, repulsing factors aka red flags, mood, life situation, perspective, peer pressure) I went on a date with them. And in hindsight I realize I probably shouldn't have, so looking back I will say I lowered my standards because it's simply easier."

I wish people in online dating would recognize that your 'dream date' is a unicorn, a myth, a fabled being that doesn't really exist.

IME that's not true. I've had several "dream dates." They do exist, depending on your dream.

ANY time you agree to meet up with a REAL human, you ARE 'lowering your standards', because you are 'settling' for something less than your imaginary Best Date

IMO/IME that's not true either. Not "ANY" time.
Simply because you don't really know the person you are dating.
If you don't know them, you can't measure them.
If you can't measure them then there is no way to know if they will live up to your standards before hand (at the time you agree to meet up with a real human).
So there is no way to know if you are lowering your standards.

Unless there are obvious indicators in their profile that point out their being lower than your standards.
Like if they say they are an accountant, and you believe all accountants are boring. Or they say they are 5'4, and you think you only want to date someone over 6 feet tall.
Unless you are saying people are unconsciously lowering their standards merely by the act of choosing to date someone.
Then you are contradicting your previous optimism point. Plus you are then making your thread completely redundant because people aren't going to be able to control their unconscious behavior. It's a slippery snake of an iceberg. The more of it you drag into your conscious decision making focus, the more it grows underneath in different ways to compensate.

How many times have you admitted you didn't get along with a date because YOU couldn't handle it? That you were not willing to compromise some XX belief YOU have for the sake of the relationship?

Many many times. I've admitted I didn't get along with a date because I couldn't handle that they had kids, that they worked 80 hours a week, that they didn't have a job, that they had tattoos, that they had herpes, that they had a penis, that they weren't nice to me, that I simply wasn't attracted to them, that they blew pot smoke into the face of their 5 year old niece, that they made a bestiality tape. I'm sure they're compatible to someone else. I just couldn't handle the lack of compatibility with me.
Of course there are some beliefs I am simply not willing to compromise. There are some things I think I can compromise and "get over" but it turns out I can't, or simply don't want to. As you say we are flawed beings.
 DragonBits
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/3/2013 12:35:59 AM
My standards for meeting someone kept rising, it's hard to emphases with that.

Once I did agree to meet someone that I thought was too fat, she was very fat. I wanted to give her a break and give it a try, see if it made a difference to me. Maybe if she were a happy fat gal there could have been a second date, but she was very sensitive / angry about any topic concerning weight. I wasn't disappointed, I knew before hand, and I still enjoyed talking to her. I don't like having to deal with angry people on a LT basis.

I wish people in online dating would recognize that your 'dream date' is a unicorn, a myth, a fabled being that doesn't really exist. ANY time you agree to meet up with a REAL human, you ARE 'lowering your standards', because you are 'settling' for something less than your imaginary Best Date.

I have had several dream dates, so again hard to agree. But I enjoy meeting everyone, have no expectations about some imaginary Best Date. I like talking to people about their lives, so whether I am attracted to them or not doesn't hurt the date.

Healthy relationships deal with ANY issue the other may face, because you are a TEAM - so having 'standards' or not - you gotta compromise SOMEthing on your end to get along with the other side.

Maybe true if you are in a LTR, but you are talking about a date, not a TEAM. I don't have arbitrary standards, those I do have I will never compromise. Compromise is like do we go to this movie or that movie, take the bus, taxi or drive, where do we live, how frequently do we stay I touch? It's not about anything significant to me.

Initially I am very easy going and not judgmental at all, so 95% of the time I get along with everyone. It's part of enjoying meeting people and finding out more about them.

One belief I have is that people aren't likely to change, (say it's possible 5% of the time) so when I see an attitude that I don't like about something important, I tend to exit the relationship without trying to change them. It's possible I am wrong in this belief, but it seems easier to find some compatible than to try and change someone that isn't.
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/3/2013 1:00:32 AM
Is that like, "I lost the race because I gave them a head-start"? Someone said it best once about truths. There is three sides to the truth; your truth, their truth, and the real truth. While their are these instances of disaster dates, or relationships, the problem is that some people feel the need to embellish, or omit things to tip the scales of pity in their favor. "Making a mountain out of a molehill" so they say.

Reading forums and profiles, and just listening to people's dating and relationship woes IRL, I'm beginning to feel that a lot of people are looking to a zero-defect mentality for who we choose to be with. If we compiled a list of deal breakers that we have read, or heard of without redundancy, we'd no longer exist as being human. One problem for some is that before they even meet, there is a tendency to put a person on a high pedestal, and when one thing falls out of place, the whole world is collapsing around them. In my opinion, there are too many people so focused on the negatives, rather than seeing positive potential, thus they tend not to see what is truly in front of them.
 HappySingleSpirit
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2013 1:19:01 AM
OP, OMG! WTF is your point? You have shown and done everything and I mean EVERYTHING that you claim to disapprove of and call inhuman. You, yes YOU are the person that you are ranting about. If you are so human, why not point fingers at yourself? Just a thought.

Totally agree with you,  handles_it.
 annywn
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/3/2013 2:11:43 AM
I just don't understand the question. Why would one go on a date with someone they didn't like? Makes no sence.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/3/2013 4:05:19 AM
I wish people in online dating would recognize that your 'dream date' is a unicorn, a myth, a fabled being that doesn't really exist.

Wishing that people would not idealize is in itself absurdly idealistic.

How many times have you admitted you didn't get along with a date because YOU couldn't handle it?

I never felt like I was secretly avoiding admitting something. I never had a date I couldn't handle, or didn't get along with. I can remember feeling bored or uninterested, though.

That you were not willing to compromise some XX belief YOU have for the sake of the relationship?

Why should I compromise?? If my beliefs are more important to me than "the relationship", then guess which one I'm going to choose? Besides, I think my beliefs are completely reasonable. See what I just did there?? The same thing everyone else does who says that.

Healthy relationships deal with ANY issue the other may face, because you are a TEAM - so having 'standards' or not - you gotta compromise SOMEthing on your end to get along with the other side.

Ugh, when did I sign up to be on a TEAM because I dated someone I never want to talk to again? I'm not a team player because we went on a date. Fuck off.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/3/2013 4:50:44 AM
All first encounters are meets to see if there's mutual attraction. Subsequent dates are means to determine chemistry and learn about the other person IF attraction is established in both directions.

People who complain about someone being too picky is usually doing so because they get passed up and believe they are entitled to more.

This is life - people can be as picky as their patience and ability to remain single until circumstances work in their favor. Obviously the more desperate to pair off someone is, the tougher it will be to have really high standards - in fact those who discard their preferences to be part of a couple faster risk ending up with someone they don't really match with. The people who'd rather be single than date someone they aren't completely crazy about (and vice versa) have every right to do things that way.

There's a difference between compromising something that won't matter, and making sure you are with someone you actually have interest in. No amount of reprogramming will trump boredom, disinterest, or people who lack attraction or common ground.

The process is to find someone you (genuinely) like, and then determine whether or not they like you in return. If they don't - that's the end of it. Move on and repeat with a new person. You can't analyze anyone into changing their preferences to make something work.
 charliesmom21
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/3/2013 5:44:34 AM
^^^+1.
There are "dream dates" otherwise most people would not even bother to date. I understand the frustration of having numerous first dates, without any connection.. and then it happens. You find someone you connect with and you understand why all the ones before were worth it.

Why is dealing with numerous first dates worth it> Because when you find that special someone you do connect with.. you appreciate it so much more.

I do not believe we need to lower our standards ( Unless they are truly unrealistic). We you find someone you connect with, dating is actually fun. Its easy because the connection is there.

I think its more a matter of time and putting up with a few nightmare dates, to make you appreciate, I mean really appreciate a good one. JMHO
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/3/2013 6:17:28 AM

I wish people who lament others' "high" standards would quit seeking a reason why others are to blame for their own deficiencies.
 ReadBeforeWriting
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/3/2013 6:28:33 AM
The vibe *I* get from threads such as this one is that the person starting the thread is sick of being rejected. Period.

I do NOT have a "dream" or "ideal" male in my head.
The five males in my lifetime with whom I've been seriously involved were as different from one another as to be different species of males. Looks, profession, skills, talents, personality...nothing alike so no I do not have that "unicorn" fantasy in my head.
I DO have certain character traits I NEED in order to be attracted; 3 of the 5 had those.
I learned from being with the 3 that had those traits, that to lower my standards to include males who do NOT possess them, would be fruitless as attraction and attachment would never grow to the point it ought.

So I think "standards" are for me, a degree of compatibility based upon character traits. Why "lower" them?
 moonchildmn
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/3/2013 6:39:55 AM
When I first started dating after my divorce, my ideal partner was the same one 10,000 other women were looking for.

I've been doing this now, on and off for over a year and I have really broadened my search. I'm not lowering my standards, I'm being realistic. I don't draw a line in the sand about height, age, income, education, religious beliefs, number of kids, etc.

My ideal partner is someone who treats me well, is respectful, has similar values. Since I've been more open to meeting a vareity of men, I've met a variety of men.
 Luthion
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:30:43 AM
As I stated in the other thread, I don't really care too much for the "standards" thing.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have no desire to get with any random person that breaths, but I find that many of the criteria we often apply to potential partners are things that in fact get in the way of us getting close to people who may in fact turn out to be truly amazing.

For instance, while I do obviously want to be attracted to someone physically, I have a very flexible definition of beauty. I've dated women of many different ages, heights, weights, and ethnicities, but I've always seen them as equally beautiful people. It's so easy to get hung up on some incredibly trivial physical qualities, and its probably the easiest way to shut out a great person. If you can't look past even basic physical flaws, you're only denying yourself.

There are fairly specific traits that make me attracted to people - intelligence, creativity, open-mindedness, honesty - but I don't really see why people need to be put on a scale and "measure up". That kind of attitude seems very... selfish. Love should be anything but selfish.

I'm far more interested in who a person is than what they can do for me anyway. All you need is a connection.
 WHITEROSEFOREVER
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:34:08 AM
i kind of get what you are saying OP. the problem is, when we do our profile, we can not go into detail about why we are in the situations that we are in. i know that it is easier to assume a person is a loser because he/she may be down on their luck at the present time.. ie...just getting over a breakup/working a crappy job/had to move back in with relatives...and, yes..in a lot of cases they might be losers, but do we even give someone the benefit of the doubt?
the funny thing is, we read the profile and immediately click next.
i do not think you should lower your standards but sometimes we need to see the individual..just because someone is barely able to pay bills and lives paycheck to paycheck does not make them a loser/deadbeat..just because someone is just divorced or ended a relationship does not mean they are still hung up on an ex... just because someone says they are a christian, does not make them a crazy bible beating idiot...just because someone is overweight does not mean they are lazy and do not care about their apperance...the list goes on and on.
we are all just people. and all people go through times of problems and hardship...and to say someone should not be dating or looking for love because they are not in a good position is wrong...i know a lot of people who look great on paper...great job/homeowner/ no ex in the picture/good bank account...but are just so ugly inside, that they would make another person miserable...
i guess what i am trying to say is, stop making a judgement about someone until you get a better understanding of who they are. yes, some might be horrible, but one out of ten just might surprise you...and i think that is what makes this all worth it.
 OutMind
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:35:04 AM

ANY time you agree to meet up with a REAL human, you ARE 'lowering your standards', because you are 'settling' for something less than your imaginary Best Date.

What a crock of s h it. Every time I agree to a date there's an inner voice that says that I wouldn't mind making love to her. If it doesn't past that basic instinctual it's not going to go anywhere. Then when we meet, I don't believe in ideal or imaginary. That is also a bunch of b ull for those that still are kissing frogs, looking for "the one." Once we meet, we see if there's compatibility, chemistry and yes, physical attraction. I do not believe in lowering of standards because I also don't believe in leagues and sh it like that. I do believe in compatible lifestyles. If she is very physical, doesn't mind getting muddy, we will get along. If she is a little princess prima dona, well, we will not get along. Tomboy or girly-girl totally optional.

Would I go out with someone that I do not find attractive simply because I am bored? Hell no. I can as well go to a bar and hang out with my boys. Or spend the night writing or meditating. Or invite a couple of friends over an grille. Bored is for idiots with no imagination or the initiative to make things happen.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:39:22 AM

^^ again.. please define 'flaw'

I won't define a 'flaw', Hippos - because it's subjective to every person -just like their 'standards' list. My point is that when things don't work out, there is very little self-introspection online - it's mostly blaming the outside world or generic, "mysterious" undefinanble things like 'lowered standards' or 'broken people picker'. People need to see WITHIN themselves what is working and what is not, and also need to have the courage to SHOW their own faults it they want their life to improve. Maybe people are self-conscious and don't feel a public forum is the best place to open up - but I'm saying here and now - it's a good thing - IF you have the courage to do it.
 lostcausein
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:40:31 AM
I agree with you that people who say " I never settle " are full of the brown.

People should try not to settle TOO MUCH, but EVERYBODY settles to some extent.

Many of us get tired of not even meeting someone because all the ones who e mail us are just too below our standards to meet.

Then someone who isn't " too bad " comes along and we decide to meet them because we're bored, need to get out there and practise, maybe they'll have a friend they can set me up with if we don't hit it off, etc

I don't know about women but most of us guys end up sending msgs to women at least slightly below our standards because the ones at or above never respond.
 Luthion
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:49:44 AM

I don't know about women but most of us guys end up sending msgs to women at least slightly below our standards because the ones at or above never respond.

Speak for yourself kid. I'm no looker, but I've netted some very beautiful women in my time (that would be considered well above my "league") through basic respect and a willingness to understand people as they are.

You'd be amazed how far not being a constantly judgemental negative nancy can get you.
 moonchildmn
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/3/2013 7:59:00 AM

I don't know about women but most of us guys end up sending msgs to women at least slightly below our standards because the ones at or above never respond

hmmm....so the man who messaged me last week, and the same one I am going on a date with this evening, thinks I'm below his standards and I'm his pity date?

I don't know.... I think it's all about attitude. I like profiles and men with upbeat, positive (read confident) attitudes. If I pick up any desperation or negativity, I lose interest. So far, I haven't gotten the feeling he thinks I am "less than" him or sub-par, because if I did, I wouldn't be going out with him.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/3/2013 8:03:11 AM
OPie, I don't like the "lowered standards" meme either. Mostly because it just isn't true. What one *likes* doesn't make it a high water mark. Just a wish. And one's own wish isn't superior to any other one's wish. Just different.

I was courted once by a guy who was classic alpha, and out to prove it. *He* was mighty pleased with himself, and had every right to be: an inventor, an entrepreneur, self made millionaire in his thirties, tall, blond and very good looking. Bright and interesting. A truly beloved professor of mine had "lined us up." *To me* he felt pushy, bossy, impatient and intolerant. All I could see in our future if it were together was an endless string of End of the World battles. Which began with my telling him it wasn't a go. . . . Met him for decades after at the professor's Christmas parties, and he *never* once failed to show up at my side with some mean or catty comment about my idiocy in turning him down. Often in the presence of his wife, whom I rather liked. Curiously, I never, not even once, regretted it. I did regret that I hadn't found a way to avoid hurting him. . . .

Some twenty years later, I met, was courted by, and gave my heart to a disabled grade school dropout dyslectic coal miner. We gave it a run, but in the end, he "rejected" me. Still feel this terribly warm space in my heart for him. (This is a man who immediately following the first time we made love, jumped out of bed, buck nekkid, ran outside, fired up his chainsaw and cut down a sapling. . . . And, yes, I told him I'd have to tell that, some time, some where. . . .)

I'm pretty sure those stories have something to do with the topic.
 lostcausein
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/3/2013 8:04:59 AM

hmmm....so the man who messaged me last week, and the same one I am going on a date with this evening, thinks I'm below his standards and I'm his pity date?

Well let me put it this way , is he YOUR first choice ?
Does he make you melt just looking at his pic ?
Or are you being ....realistic and thinking " hey, I'm not in my 20's anymore, etc so he's GOOD ENOUGH looking, his profile seems GOOD ENOUGH and hopefully his personality will make up for the imperfections enough to make a go of it with "

IOW we all lower our standards in some way at least a little bit , whether it's with what we prefer physically or personality wise.

Why is it so hard for some to admit ??????
 Misguided_Old_Mule
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/3/2013 8:05:44 AM
OP,
It’s a figure of speech.
If we arrived at our ideas about what does/n’t work for us, by trial-and-error experience, then our criteria wouldn’t likely consist of overly picky, arbitrary ideals.
A more accurate phrase for me would have been “set aside criteria” or even “temporarily suspend disbelief” rather than the superior-sounding “lower my standards.”
If the date turns out well, for some mysterious reason - NOBODY complains about not meeting 'standards', even though that person across the table was CLEARLY a flawed, REAL human being.
Exactly!
Could it be that one or both said to themselves before the date
"Well, this guy/gal certainly doesn't meet [every last one of my wish-list items ], but I [recognize that nobody’s perfect] so [I’ll meet them anyway, and see how it goes]. "
Every time. Since a date is not a relationship, the same rules of commitment & compromise cannot be applied.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/3/2013 8:18:58 AM

Well let me put it this way , is he YOUR first choice ?
Does he make you melt just looking at his pic ?

Depends on the pic - but I better be interested in finding out, or no thanks.

Or are you being ....realistic and thinking " hey, I'm not in my 20's anymore, etc so he's GOOD ENOUGH looking, his profile seems GOOD ENOUGH and hopefully his personality will make up for the imperfections enough to make a go of it with "

I guess I just don't want to date this badly. If I'm not really into him - attraction and beyond, or really interested in finding out if I will be before I've met him and it's not mutual, why bother? I have no interest in making do with what's there if it's not really what I want.

IOW we all lower our standards in some way at least a little bit , whether it's with what we prefer physically or personality wise.

Why is it so hard for some to admit ??????

I may be less harsh about some things that don't matter in the long run - but if I'm not all that into someone, I don't see why it's a good idea for me or that person. It's not a match. You move on. You might be single longer - horror of horrors, but who cares?
 c_deacon
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2013 8:40:02 AM
You had better enjoy that person, be attracted to them and desire them, or you have just move them into your friend zone.

I can tell you that I have met and dated some very attractive women in my life, and both my heads were up and paying attention.....until they opened their mouth and we actually had to spend time together. On the other side of this coin, I have spent time with women that at first did not move me to such a degree, but as we got to know each other, the total of their make up, especially their minds made them look much better in my eyes, and they seemed to be more attractive.

The point still is there that one needs to be moved enough to start with, to even try......and this is the foundation for desire.....go figure!

cd
 m8t
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/3/2013 9:27:07 AM
Relationship philosophy by Woobie~ I certainly enjoy all the life snippets you share darlin'.
The wealth of knowledge you share with us posters is greatly appreciated.
Shes right yanno; its all about chemistry and falling in love.

If that means lowering my "standards", than so be it.
I think sometimes we can all have them so "high", we forget the air below us smells great.
Heres to being human, and knowing when we find a good thing that makes us happy.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Lowered Standards" is really a lame excuse for being Human