Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Things men and women don’t know about each other?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
Things men and women don’t know about each other?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I found myself on some kind of MSN news page where they had the following lists (By Shannan Rouss). I don’t necessarily think the items themselves are important or interesting, but how polls are done, and the fact that certain kinds of results are found, are what interests me sometimes. And even so, either way, this might be something fun to jibber jabber about in a thread.

What men don’t know about women:

1 - No two of us are the same: We don't all love to shop, drink cosmos and watch romantic comedies. While some men think that "you know one woman, you know them all," each woman has her own unique history and habits, her own endearing quirks and idiosyncrasies. Embrace them!

2 - We want you to make the first move: As long as you're a well-adjusted guy with emotional intelligence, trust yourself to know when a woman is into you. We want to be approached, we want to be asked out, and we want you to be confident enough to do those things.

3 - We don't want you to be better dressed or have better hair than we do: Yes, we want you to look good, but in that rugged, manly, didn't-try sort of way.

4 - We notice your jeans: Whether they're skinny jeans, dad jeans (slightly faded, a bit too baggy), or low-rise, straight-leg, with-contrast-stitching jeans, we will see them and we will draw conclusions, even if we don't want to.

5 - We expect you to remember our birthday: And the name of our first dog, where we went to college and how we like our eggs. Is that too much to ask?

6 - We will judge you—and ourselves—by the women you dated before us: We will look them up on Facebook and scrutinize their photos. If they are cheesy, we'll feel better about ourselves but question your judgment. If they are tall and thin and doing humanitarian work in the Sudan, we'll wonder what you see in us.

7 - We always want half of your dessert: Even if we say we're not hungry, couldn't eat another thing, no way no how, when we say that we just want a taste what we really mean is "I'll take half."

8 - We're not your mother: This should be pretty self-evident and yet men seem to frequently conflate their significant others with the women who raised them. We are not here to pick up after you, and we don't want to nag you about it—but we will if we have to. So don't make us.

9 - We expect a card with the present: Yes, we are grateful for the gift, but without a card it sort of feels half-hearted. If you're not good with words, then take more than 30 seconds to choose a card that gets the sentiment right.

10 - Sometimes we're in a bad mood just because: It's not "that time of the month," so don't ask. Our feelings are complicated and not completely subject to our hormones.

11 - The longer you date us, the less we shave our legs: Those days of us always being smooth and stubble-free? Enjoy them while you can. Because like the sexy underthings, they won't last. It's not that women intend to let themselves go, but one of the perks of being in a relationship is not having to keep up with a time-consuming grooming regimen.

12 - We prefer "comfort" bras: Most women have four, maybe five bras, in their weekly rotation. And chances are that none of them is particularly sexy. In fact, they are most often decidedly unsexy, providing what bras are supposed to provide: support. The frilly, lacy undergarments that you're certain women wear all the time? We don't.

13 - Sometimes, we'd rather sleep alone: We don't always want to be held. Occasionally, we just want to go home, or for you to go home, depending on the circumstances. It could be that we have to get up really early the next morning, or that we forgot our contact lens solution, or that your mattress is lumpy—in which case, it might be time for a new mattress.

What women don’t know about men:

1 - We don't necessarily need a man cave, we just want to be consulted before you decorate our shared space.

2 - Just because a tee shirt has a few holes and stains, that doesn't mean it no longer has value. That shirt has history. Please don't throw it away.

3 - We worry about how we look with the lights on too.

4 - We're not mind readers, but we are perceptive. We can usually tell when something's bothering you, but we need you to tell us what it is.

5 - We really, really do like a woman with some curves, rather than one who's rail thin.

6 - When our favorite team loses, we just need some space and a little time to grieve.

7 - When the Ikea furniture arrives, we want your help.

8 - We wouldn't mind if, just once in a while, you left the seat up.

9 - We secretly like it when other guys check you out.

10 - When you say, "Which street are you taking?" we know that what you really mean is "Why are you going this way?"

11 - We appreciate it when you give us fashion advice. Tell us what to wear, shop for us—we won't complain.
 candyazz
Msg: 2
Things men and women don’t know about each other?
Posted: 5/15/2013 12:40:28 PM
more generalizations about men/women. zzzzzzzzZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

really now, you're not going to be able to use this list as a rossetta stone to decipher why " jimmy in the 11th grade stood you up for prom after you 2 went to 3rd base" or why "that sexy latina that you flirted with for weeks was so insulted when you "innocently" told her about cinco de mayo faux pas".
Posted: 5/15/2013 12:44:40 PM
^ heh, yea, tell me 'bout it.
 Misguided_Old_Mule
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/15/2013 12:55:24 PM

about women: No two of us are the same
Rendering (if it’s true) the rest of the list pointless, eh?

about men: When our favorite team loses, we just need some space and a little time to grieve.
I don't think there's enough time or space for a Cubs fan this year.
 kj521
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/15/2013 1:04:50 PM
Op:

I had to laugh at a few of those as I can relate to the truefulness of some of them as they pertain to me personally!

Not going to name which ones though! Cute post!
 TALLTEXAN2012
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2013 1:39:21 PM
I agree with #2 on what MEN don't know about WOMEN...that is why on POF it is hard for me to contact someone first...even if I am interested!
 ReadBeforeWriting
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/15/2013 2:01:52 PM
Oh my God...I found that list repellent.
The only thing on it to which I can relate is "we want you to make the first move."
As to the rest, it is why I have problems when males first try to get involved with me; they have obviously only known females to whom that awful list is applicable, and they invariably treat me as those females trained them to act, in order to get to the golden p**sy.

NO not all of us are such silly, unsexy (not wear sexy bras most of the time? WteffingF?) creatures as this list would suggest.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2013 2:45:25 PM
Comfort bras? What's that? It sounds terrible.

Also, I couldn't care less about the women he used to date.
 theanswerguy2
Msg: 9
Posted: 5/15/2013 2:53:51 PM

As long as you're a well-adjusted guy with emotional intelligence,

There's always a catch.

Just because a tee shirt has a few holes and stains, that doesn't mean it no longer has value.

It now has "character".

We prefer "comfort" bras:

I prefer "no" bra. :)
 neilsydney
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/15/2013 3:00:00 PM
(: Most of it is spot on, esp "We always want half of your dessert" and don't forget the french fries. Well, at least there are a few "rules" to keep us guys sane though I really really wish #11 did not exist.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2013 3:09:11 PM
Date women who don't believe on #11, then. I do those things mostly for myself, and will, therefore, not stop doing them, regardless of the duration of a relationship.
 gtomustang
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/15/2013 3:39:49 PM
so, how much of this list was meant to be humourous, and how much meant to be serious?

let's add number 14 to the list of things men should know about women (btw, why is their list longer? do they make themselves more of a mystery?):

14)when I ask what you see in me, what I really mean is, "what do I make you feel when you're with me?" That works better than a laundry list of actual things you see in me, which requires me to determine the value of those things to you.

let's add number 12 to the list of things women don't know about men, but men wish they did:

12)we like to be asked out, too....for the same reason. we like to be desired by desireable women.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/15/2013 3:47:56 PM
drinkthesunwithmyface- Pretty spot on.
#5 about men-true for some, but not as many as I wish
#7 about women-100% correct
 DragonBits
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/15/2013 3:52:13 PM
I want the list of things a woman doesn't want me to know about her.

We prefer "comfort" bras: Most women have four, maybe five bras, in their weekly rotation. And chances are that none of them is particularly sexy. In fact, they are most often decidedly unsexy, providing what bras are supposed to provide: support. The frilly, lacy undergarments that you're certain women wear all the time? We don't.

It's off so fast what do I care about what it looked like? I barely glance at it.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2013 3:52:22 PM
Like we didn't already have people overgeneralizing on POF..overgeneralizing about women and men.

Just for the record...most of the stuff about women doesn't describe me at all. Then again, I didn't read all of it cause I got bored...I need a nap.
 hounddoug
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/15/2013 3:59:40 PM

each woman has her own unique history and habits, her own endearing quirks and idiosyncrasies.

What about the ones that are not so endearing..?

We really, really do like a woman with some curves, rather than one who's rail thin

Absolutely. Especially when they have gorgeous legs to go with those curves and they aren't afraid to show them off.
 m8t
Msg: 17
Posted: 5/15/2013 7:17:06 PM
Gimmie some in the "closet" kinky details. This stuff is so vanilla its not even ice cream.
 forums1
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/15/2013 7:19:54 PM
More stupid generalizations, probably written by a woman for both since the women's list starts with:

"1 - No two of us are the same"

And yet somehow that isn't there on the men's list... because, of course, we're "all the same" right?

Men's list #4 is probably right for both genders: "We're not mind readers, but we are perceptive. We can usually tell when something's bothering you, but we need you to tell us what it is." - yup... and "Nothing" is probably not the best of answers nor does it equate to good communication.

For the rest of the men's list, no, I don't really want her help with the Ikea furniture (not that I'd want Ikea anyways), I don't have a "favorite team" of any sport (never been into sports) - and I think it's pretty stupid when people say "our" team lost - really dude? 'Cause I didn't see you out on the field, only the sofa, with a beer in your hand.
 LG2727
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2013 8:12:48 PM
hmmm...well, I always shave my legs, etc. no matter how long I have been with someone, not all women are lazy about thier grooming. I dont want half your dessert, I have my own. I want you to know how to dress yourself without my help, which leads me into HELL NO, I am not your mother so do not turn me into your mommy dearest and then complain that we no longer excite you. Do what your told the first time, better yet, do it all by yourself like a real honest to goodness big boy and we wont have to ask you twice...hence the nagging. OH yes, we just love to nag....oh please! turn me into your new mommy! I would much rather be that then your sexy girlfriend/wife...makes you wonder why we put up with men? lol! So, men like women with curves? So, why do they only go gaga over bonebags then? again...makes me wonder about you guys! lol! Men want to hear about our thoughts? Havent met one of those yet....Women who only wear sexy bras are usually flat chested....or have big ole bags inflating them... the rest of us need a little more then a wisp of fabric to do the job unless we know it will be ripped off in seconds anyway. ...nuff said on that...the rest of it, pretty much on the spot! lol!
Posted: 5/15/2013 9:09:19 PM
Does it mean anything that the about-men list uses about one-tenth of the number of words that the about-women list uses? Any interpretation of that could go either way, too.

Yea, I never liked much that things like this are circulated out there, even if some of it might be true for some. Just wanted to see how many others in pof felt the same way.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/16/2013 8:58:55 AM

No two of us are the same: We don't all love to shop, drink cosmos and watch romantic comedies. While some men think that "you know one woman, you know them all," each woman has her own unique history and habits

If that's the case, doesn't that make the rest of the list hold little water? :)

and how we like our eggs

Fertilized? ;)

6 - When our favorite team loses, we just need some space and a little time to grieve.

I think that is one that is often overlooked and should be better understood. :)

All in all though, I say Men are from Earth and Women are from Earth much more than Mars & Venus.
 GrayJake40
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/16/2013 9:00:26 AM
1 - We don't necessarily need a man cave, we just want to be consulted before you decorate our shared space.------ Wrong. A man cave is not shared space. Whether it's the garage, a whole room , or simply a corner of a room, it's ours. It's where a man can be himself, his stuff. It's where he can chill, if need be, etc. It's where we gather our thoughts, or reset them, etc. A woman can have the entire rest of the house, but a man should have his niche. IE a hobby room?

2 - Just because a tee shirt has a few holes and stains, that doesn't mean it no longer has value. That shirt has history. Please don't throw it away.------ I disagree. as far as the "history" value. I don't wear stained/tattered clothes. Except for yardwork, working on car/motorcycle, painting, etc. In other words, they are work clothes. I don't wear junky clothes when out and about. Period.

3 - We worry about how we look with the lights on too.------ Not really. At my age/her age, I'm comfy with as is!

4 - We're not mind readers, but we are perceptive. We can usually tell when something's bothering you, but we need you to tell us what it is.------- Agreed!

5 - We really, really do like a woman with some curves, rather than one who's rail thin.------ Umm, I like women. Curves, no curves. If she appeals to me, and it is ALWAYS based on her individual aspects, and not TnA factors etc, then I accept her, as is.

6 - When our favorite team loses, we just need some space and a little time to grieve.-------- LOL. Agreed.

7 - When the Ikea furniture arrives, we want your help.--------- Not really. Me and my buds will do it. But, I won't go curtain shopping with her either. Fair trade.

8 - We wouldn't mind if, just once in a while, you left the seat up.------ This never bothered me, ever. What men is 'we"? LOL.

9 - We secretly like it when other guys check you out.-------- Not really. I tolerate it, to a point. There's a line between admiration and eye-f*cking someone. If a man doesn't have the respect to see her as a class act, because to me, she is, then I will be glad to teach him manners. (Trust me, a guy stares at her boobs while talking to her, even when she says "hello, up here!", I will and have, punch him in his head).

10 - When you say, "Which street are you taking?" we know that what you really mean is "Why are you going this way?"---------- Nope, doesn't bother me. I'm a moron sometimes, when looking for a location, a house, whatever. Me and her are a team, help a guy out so we can get where we are supposed to be! LOL

11 - We appreciate it when you give us fashion advice. Tell us what to wear, shop for us—we won't complain. ------- Um, maybe. My last gf bought me skinny jeans. Hell. No. I trust the woman to know my tastes, and my taste are not bad. Please stay within my comfort zone. I will respect her taste in return, and not buy/expect her to wear some retarded anything.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2013 10:15:27 AM
They forgot number 12 for the men:

12. Have sex with us and all is forgiven.

(Hey you guys wanted generalizations, right?)
:)
 jlynn1955
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2013 1:33:13 PM
^^^^See THAT'S the one I always forget! But it reminds me...does the list for women say something like saying "I love you" doesn't make everything better? Maybe most men don't do that ..I don't know but my ex seemed to think was all he had to do was say "I love you" and it made everything better....NOT!

I will have to keep #12 in mind though....see nobody TELLS me these things and how am I supposed to know?

BTW-I don't want to eat half his dessert. I want him to order one for himself and leave MINE alone, instead of assuming I'm gonna want to share it with him. Cause I don't!

I don't care what the women he dated before me looked like-I do care what the women he cheated on me with look like.

I do have sexy bras and I wear them when I want to. I also buy sexy lingerie when I'm sad, cause it makes me feel better and I wear it even if there's nobody else to see.
Yes, I notice the jeans--but usually only from behind and especially if he's rocking a pair of cowboy boots too, cause....well, cause it makes a difference.
Posted: 5/16/2013 3:16:25 PM
I kinda like those sports bras, have a couple for myself. I hate how part of a conventional bra digs into my skin, kinda hurts. And a sports bra keeps everything from moving around too much, that kinda hurts too when that happens.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Things men and women don’t know about each other?