Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > NEW CHANGE: Males can no longer send private image      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigFish
Msg: 1
view profile
History
NEW CHANGE: Males can no longer send private images to other users.Page 1 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
You can no longer send private images to other users.

The 3,000 idiots we delete every week primary use private images to send nude photo's to others. You can also flag messages for nudity if the message contains attached images.
 ProcolHarem
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:15:33 PM
Eh...I can deal with this one and the IE, but the age thing still sticks in my craw.

JB...wow...maybe they need to ban your own special kind of hate.
 lmsailor20
Msg: 3
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:16:13 PM

You can no longer send private images to other users.

The 3,000 idiots we delete every week primary use private images to send nude photo's to others. You can also flag messages for nudity if the message contains attached images.

Why does it show up when there is NO Image attached?
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 4
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:16:14 PM
If private images can no longer be attached then what is the point of even allowing private images at all?

I see your point but I dont see any other reason to even have private images if they cant be emailed to others even for the legitimate users. Just eliminate all private images. The would no longer serve any purpose right?

Cowboy
 jblack2000
Msg: 5
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:18:00 PM
Markus, I support you!!! Keep it up!!! All you pervs, weirdos, clowns, dummies, delete your accounts!! Nobody will miss you! POF is about quality. Don't listen to the haters!!! Sugar daddies, creepy old people, MILF hunters, harassers, stalkers, low-lifes, POF is not for you!!!! Oh yeah, get rid of photo attachments all together. It's redundant.
 DragonBits
Msg: 6
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:21:33 PM
This is like the market, a new surprise every day. You are probably right, but I can see two reasons for private images.

1) Most often they will probably be nudes.

2) Some people don't have any public images and only send private images, they claim they value their privacy, maybe some do work in senitive jobs and don't want anyone to know they are on POF. I don't care for is as I always feel they can easily dump one profile and create another.

Wonder if this will create a big outcry.
 DragonBits
Msg: 7
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:24:27 PM

static IPs are a thing of the past - anyone banning by IP is just banning the next random user to get allocated the same address

Not quite right.

Most broadband connections have a static IP address, most dial up do not as are assigned random.

If someone knows what they are doing, you can spoof.
 Kay9876
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:27:10 PM
If private images can no longer be attached then what is the point of even allowing private images at all?

I prefer to have my photos hidden and send them by private mail. Lately, I've had my photos public, but this is not my usual style.

Having private images allows people to keep photos available for the times they want to "go public." Not being able to send private images by email makes it more difficult for those of us who prefer to stay low key.
 BigFish
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:28:26 PM
3.3 million users per day...

only 120,000 have private images only....

To disable private images was one line of code. To remove it completely is a lot of effort and requires releasing new versions of apps.
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 10
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:31:56 PM

3.3 million users per day...

only 120,000 have private images only.
Got it !! But if you cant attach them why even allow private images at all is my question. They no longer have any purpose right?

Cowboy
 Somesingleguy1974
Msg: 11
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 4:40:51 PM
I also wonder what is the point of even allowing private images if we can no longer send them.
 lmsailor20
Msg: 12
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 5:13:02 PM

I also wonder what is the point of even allowing private images if we can no longer send them.

The answer is simple.

To disable private images was one line of code. To remove it completely is a lot of effort and requires releasing new versions of apps.

Lazy programming
 NDTfan
Msg: 13
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:00:31 PM

Lazy programming

Geez, you guys won't give the guy a break at all will you? I suppose it never occurred to you that he's testing these changes and may not want to do a major overhaul until he sees how it affects the user base?

I like this change. Although there have been a few times that I was pleasantly surprised and understood why they didn't want a pic up. Why not send out a mass email suggesting that the current users who send private images hide their profile so that only the people they contact can see it? It might cut down on the butthurt from people who freak out at the slightest change.
 Holly63
Msg: 14
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:02:17 PM

Lazy programming

^^^^ Ummm I don't think so. In my way of thinking I consider something which is disabled is unusable. No need to chuck it away, ya just can't use it.

As a crazy example, say you want to install new lights in your home and have them moved elsewhere. The existing wires will just be cut and therefore disabled. No need to go to the expense of ripping out all the old wiring if they're unusable. Whats the point? :)

EDIT:
NDTfan posted before I finished typing. Well said, NDT, on your first paragraph. Give the guy a break! xxx
 jblack2000
Msg: 15
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:05:48 PM
a lot of whiners who insist they need private images, are probably married. So we got half married people, and half pervs who send nude pics. O K Cupid and Match, watch out! POF is cleaning house!
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 16
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:11:19 PM

Lazy programming

"Lazy programming" - Says the guy who wouldn't know anything about regression testing the removal of functionality from a software release if it bit him on the butt.
 Southtc
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:21:22 PM

Thank you! That is a BIG improvement and we hope those idiots get their IPs banned also so they can't just immediately reincarnate like they can elsewhere.

As someone who's been playing Whack-A-Mole with spammers for years on my forums, getting around IP bans isn't that hard to do. It finally took a couple of methods that didn't involve the bans to stop them.
 Southtc
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:22:30 PM

Markus, I support you!!! Keep it up!!! All you pervs, weirdos, clowns, dummies, delete your accounts!! Nobody will miss you! POF is about quality. Don't listen to the haters!!! Sugar daddies, creepy old people, MILF hunters, harassers, stalkers, low-lifes, POF is not for you!!!! Oh yeah, get rid of photo attachments all together. It's redundant.

You forgot whiny, redundant youngsters.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:35:04 PM

I see your point but I dont see any other reason to even have private images if they cant be emailed to others even for the legitimate users.

Some users like to go pic-less during the day but not hidden and then make them visible when they're online, say at night - just cuts a lot of unwanted attention during the day if they're fairly attractive.

I've seen a fair amount of users employ this tactic.

the other
Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS ||
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 20
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 7:01:17 PM

I see your point but I dont see any other reason to even have private images if they cant be emailed to others even for the legitimate users.

Some users like to go pic-less during the day but not hidden and then make them visible when they're online, say at night - just cuts a lot of unwanted attention during the day if they're fairly attractive.

I've seen a fair amount of users employ this tactic.
Wouldnt it be just as easy to hide your profile though and unhide it when online? I get what you are saying but...
 Analog_Phase84
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 7:22:59 PM
Seems pretty short sited in my mind, in my case I live in a smaller community and prefer not to have my pictures out there for everyone to see and prefer to share them after a fair bit of talking and gaining some trust that they are who they say they are.

Another issue is that I enjoy photography and I usually have several pictures on here to share when talking about photography, where I was on the weekend, what I was doing the yesterday and so on.

In the end anyone sending nude pictures is a complete idiot and with the recent changes I feel the average user is suffering for a few peoples stupidity.

Here's a couple possible solutions,
- Allow users to have some private images reviewed so they can be sent in emails
-Allow a few general images in a profile, that won't show up as a mail photo
-When receiving pictures, have a small thumbnail preview asking you if you would like to view this photo, so explicated content can be deleted and reported with minimal exposure.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 22
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 7:26:23 PM

Seems pretty short sited in my mind, in my case I live in a smaller community and prefer not to have my pictures out there for everyone to see and prefer to share them after a fair bit of talking and gaining some trust that they are who they say they are.

My first thought: "There goes everyone who lives in a small town."
 sawdust_maker
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 9:54:45 PM

Wouldnt it be just as easy to hide your profile though and unhide it when online? I get what you are saying but...

But... what? Either method involves only a few clicks, so difficulty is a non-issue. Whereas hiding removes one from all searches, the other does not. Add in the current state of affairs with the Hiding/Un-hiding of profiles. Bingo!

Nice !

Sink or swim, that has never changed here from day 1.

Allow users to have some private images reviewed so they can be sent in emails

All private images have always been subject to the review process. Nothing new here.

Allow a few general images in a profile, that won't show up as a mail photo

What is your definition of a general image?

When receiving pictures, have a small thumbnail preview asking you if you would like to view this photo, so explicated content can be deleted and reported with minimal exposure.

So the smaller the pixel shown, the less damage done to the viewer? I am in big trouble.

The one line of code is the obvious way to go.

"There goes everyone who lives in a small town."

There's always a Rebel, whether they have a cause or not.

Most of us here prefer the Nice over Naughty approach
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 24
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 10:03:57 PM

Probably the best tactic a woman can employ on this site to not be harassed by men she does not want to talk to is to have her profile hidden and/or have hidden images and message those she want to talk to and include a private image or two when she feels the time is right. I have had quite a few women use this strategy who made the initial contact with me. Since you indicate that your goal with all these changes is to make things feel like a safer place for women why would you think that eliminating the ability to use this tactic is a good idea.

What's next are you going to prevent us from having a hidden profile as well?

Is this idea just another way to take away any personal control someone might have over who they are looking for on this site just like you have done by removing our freedom to choose which age group we message.

I am wondering if we are going to start having arranged dates bases of the sites match making system soon.
 PelagicSoul
Msg: 25
Private images....
Posted: 5/22/2013 10:52:49 PM
Thank you Dino - that's exactly what, why and how I utilize both the hide profile and private images features! And I can assure everyone there is a real need for this, even when I don't have the pic of me in a dress posted.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > NEW CHANGE: Males can no longer send private images to other users.