Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > cannot attach pictures to messages      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 rover79
Msg: 4
view profile
History
cannot attach pictures to messagesPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
same problem here..started yesterday
 amraks
Msg: 5
view profile
History
cannot attach pictures to messages
Posted: 5/23/2013 6:44:30 AM
I would say so, that function would be on the one line.

The one line of code probably doesn't have a decider if a private or public image when calling a record.

Now this feature is gone it leaves people with little privacy. I don't have photos displayed because I only wish to send them to those that are worthy.
 import_from_UK
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/23/2013 7:12:57 AM

Now this feature is gone it leaves people with little privacy. I don't have photos displayed because I only wish to send them to those that are worthy.

To determine if someone is 'worthy' would likely need you to be proactive with messaging. If that's the case, one option to to set your account to be hidden and then have public images. Hiding your account will remove you from search results and mean you need to be initiating contact but that would give you the chance to determine 'worthiness' first.

Once someone gets a message from your hidden account, they will be able to see your profile and make the same determination for themselves too.

One thing to be aware of....the system generated lists are not generated as the result of a search and so, you will still appear on those.
 amraks
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 7:29:03 AM
Privacy is what makes a website work if there is no privacy no one will stay here.

I am already considering looking at other websites and I will drag some users with me.
 happygoluckyxxxx
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 10:45:34 AM
so has this feature of dending private pics been deleted from POF yes or no ?
 HamburgerHelper
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/23/2013 12:00:10 PM
This is clearly a bug since the text is still on the page saying "You can attach one of the pictures above to your email" and the pictures aren't there.

Someone should alert the programmers so they can determine whats making the images disappear. It clearly wasn't by design if the text was left there.
 import_from_UK
Msg: 11
Posted: 5/23/2013 4:17:21 PM
^^^ It isn't a bug and it is by design.

Read this thread : Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help > NEW CHANGE: Private images.... http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16032640.aspx created by the site owner yesterday.

Message 1 explains it was intentional and why. Msg 13 confirms it.
 Tiburon666
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 7:35:23 PM
How come then I can no longer post any pics at all? I sent two messages today and there was no option to include any pictures including those that I've made public. Furthermore, there is no longer anyway to sent gifts. As a paid member I'm supposed to have unlimited points in which to send gifts, but all gifts have completely disappeared. What in the heck is going on?
 Somesingleguy1974
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/24/2013 12:32:14 AM
Ok stupid question, and maybe it is because I don't understand fully how the system works.

Now if you have a profile with public pictures in it. What is the need to even attach those pictures to a message you send. When the person receiving that message could go to your profile to see your pictures. I never attached pictures to my messages since the receiver of the message could just check my profile out.

I would guess though that if you hide your profile then you would need to attach a picture to a message so that the receiver could view it. Or else they would not be able to open your profile to view it.

Is there any other reason why a picture might need to be attached. I just wonder because a lot of time I have messaged someone and in their profile they say "messages without pictures will be deleted". I never attached a picture, thinking they could just look at my profile. But now I'm wondering if they just deleted the message because I didn't attach a picture.
 Somesingleguy1974
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/24/2013 8:32:19 AM

I have 15 pics doing different things that might interest different people

I used to be able to choose a FEW pics to send with an email. Which ones I would send would vary on what I wrote in the message and/or the gals profile. You have one pic so its not a big needed option for you really right?

But would they not be able to see all 15 of your pics, even though you only attached maybe 2-3 of them to a message. This is of course assuming that all 15 of your pics is public. If some of them are private then I can understand the need attach them.

Ya I realize I only have one pic right now, even when I did have more than one pic, I just never saw a need to attach a pic to a message.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/24/2013 9:32:07 AM
Paul, just a hint: in the world of print/media dating "open minded" is a code phrase for "seriously kinky" -- the school of hard knocks has taught me *never* to respond to an ad/profile containing it. I doubt I'm alone at picking up on this. Good luck!
 Somesingleguy1974
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/24/2013 10:21:44 AM
Thanks for the info. That does make sense.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/24/2013 1:34:37 PM

Paul, just a hint: in the world of print/media dating "open minded" is a code phrase for "seriously kinky" --...

That has not been my experience at all. Those who've had it in their profiles with whom I've corresponded, or whom I've met, have meant it very much in the cerebral sense.

I think when it refers to kink, there are usually some other give-aways too, because they want you to know, so as to attract the similarly inclined.

Anyway, to topic, latest update is that now women may attach photos but men may not. I think this is flat sex discrimination, regardless of whether or not they are paying members.

ETA for lightstar: I didn't mean that necessarily in the legal sense - I don't know if it would qualify technically or not - and have no intention of attempting any action. I just won't date via POF. I'll stick around for the forums, though, as long as they're still here.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2013 6:26:16 AM
"Anyway, to topic, latest update is that now women may attach photos but men may not. I think this is flat sex discrimination, regardless of whether or not they are paying members."

It's pretty obvious that despite all of his "stats," he did not anticipate that the VAST majority of the 120,000 private-only image users were women, trying to maintain their privacy on the site, and he came to the realization that by revoking private-image usage for all just to stop the tawdry actions of 3000 people a week was mostly alienating the very segment of the population he was trying to placate with the original action. As usual, he doesn't understand how his site works, because he designed a feature one way and it got used in another, so his actions/reactions had highly unintended consequences. In addition to all those annoyed female posts in that thread, I imagine he got bombarded with far more upset female emails than he was expecting. (Of course, most of them were probably more of the nature: "Hey, why the hell is this not working anymore?" since he apparently never sent out an email on that change. At least *I* didn't get one.)

Again, there are many sexually discriminatory features on this site already -- another one shouldn't surprise us. I'm actually still stunned he evened out the email restrictions, but of course by allowing only women to email any age he had created the unintended consequence of women being able to email any men and men not being able to respond, upsetting women who didn't understand why they weren't getting any responses, so that's probably why that got deep-sixed more than any suidden conscience about gender equality. No doubt the confuzzled coding of the site doesn't allow for men to respond to women who email them first under the universal implementation of age filters.

Which brings us to the specific subject of this thread: yet another unintended consequence of a change the site was never meant to have that probably is "too much trouble" to fix without a "lot of coding." If you ask me, he's at the point where he just needs to rebuild the site entirely -- or more like, get a couple of computer science college interns to do it, since he doesn't have enough time to do it himself (with all that vacationing he has scheduled) nor the money to pay professionals (who really needs them when high school students are inventing stuff like Tumblr?), plus no doubt his coding is quite out-of-date and young well-studied minds are needed. This site was built in the early 2000s and unlike every other site still in existence from that era, looks and operates exactly the same way. We used to say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Well, now the site is definitely broken. In many places. And broken by the admin.

EDIT: You know what's weird about that thread? Women are still posting objections more than a page after Markus announced they would no longer be affected by the change. Have they not noticed they are no longer affected or has he only announced a change he has not made yet? If it's the former, perhaps a moderator should edit BigFish's original post to say "Update: MEN can no longer send private messages to other users," because I can promise you many people will not dig through the dozens of posts in that thread to find Markus' one line change in the middle of it... as they apparently currently aren't doing that. And the OP is now just misleading anyway. Pretty much any thread should have its OP edited for current information so nobody has to go looking for that buried somewhere deep within it.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 22
Posted: 5/25/2013 11:32:27 AM
Hawking, if you're waiting for the vast average reader/user to try to discover *anything* on their own, you are going to have a very long wait, lol! Most just read the opening post, and proceed to emote for all they're worth. . . .
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/25/2013 4:10:45 PM

Pretty much any thread should have its OP edited for current information so nobody has to go looking for that buried somewhere deep within it.

That's a very good idea. I don't think any of these new-feature threads has an accurate title anymore. They really ought to say whatever the current state of affairs actually is.
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/26/2013 5:33:22 AM

I had alerted those reading my profile to the changes and linked to this forum, my entire (quite long, genuine) profile was then deleted within minutes

Doubt your profile was wiped as a consequence of your post.
Forum Moderators have no privileges on the separate server that holds profiles, messages and other dating applications. There is an automated feature that scans profile content for prohibited entries.
It was most likely wiped because you had illegal content - like personal contact info (email, phone, etc.). Hmmmm?

I've been blocked out of replying to messages in the other forum.

The "Message Restrictions" thread caps EVERYONE at 5 posts, because people keep rehashing the same sh1t.

I guess I'll just have to start paying again and then take them to court for discrimination!

Umm, yeah. Accept the terms of service AFTER all the changes are made, then try to sue them? Rotsa ruck with that!
 1906AceClub
Msg: 26
Posted: 5/26/2013 8:29:09 PM
So, just to try and get some clarification on not being able to select which of our public images get attached to messages anymore. Is this a side effect of the changes to private images, or something intentional? Automatically attaching all of our images when messaging someone with the "must have a picture to contact this user" setting seems silly. And depending on how the POF email system works, is gonna start eating up their disk space.
 import_from_UK
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/27/2013 6:47:44 AM

So, just to try and get some clarification on not being able to select which of our public images get attached to messages anymore. Is this a side effect of the changes to private images, or something intentional?

It was intentional. The ability to include images in a message (private or public) has been revoked.

See this thread created by the site owner for more information.

NEW CHANGE: Private images....http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts16032640.aspx
 maestro22
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2018 9:19:11 PM
Yes I agree because the regular website works just fine but the App is where I am having the issue. Pics show for selection on the web but not on the App. Will someone help us please?
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > cannot attach pictures to messages