Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What would you do, if you were a god?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Demigod1979
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What would you do, if you were a god?Page 1 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
I know it's typical of atheists like me to criticize god(s) for the sorry state of the world (assuming god(s) exists of course ;) ) but does any one of us actually have an idea of how the world SHOULD be run, if a god existed? If you were a god, with infinite powers and the ability to make the world as you please, what would you do? How would you make the world/universe and what sorts of planets/galaxies/life would you create?
 gingerosity
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What would you do, if you were a god?
Posted: 5/25/2013 6:40:00 PM
If you were a god, with infinite powers and the ability to make the world as you please, what would you do?

If I were a god, then presumably I wouldn't have the myriad flaws, biases, personality defects etc. that make me, me.
If I were a god, I wouldn't be me. So the question is moot - if I will not be me, what I would do when I am me is irrelevant.

That said, I'd definitely keep the eternal torment in hellfire for those who don't grovel before me. Have to make sure people know right from wrong. The rest of the making of worlds and stuff I'd leave up to the mice.

Edit:
And if I just had the power and no knowledge, I'd be terrified of so much as farting in the wrong direction. If I had both power and knowledge I'd know what course of action leads to the best outcomes, and we'd be back to the situation where whatever I currently think is irrelevant.
 justlookingvt
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/25/2013 6:49:59 PM
First, make everyone fully honest, second, give everyone infinite intellect, third, "ungod" all gods, including myself.

I believe the world would run pretty well under those conditions. We have one out of three and, given enough time, the other two are achievable, that is, if religious beliefs don't completely annihilate the human race first.
 Despickabill
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2013 7:41:12 PM
Procreate with the most amazingly beautiful women from every continent.
 ironwinecoffee
Msg: 5
Posted: 5/25/2013 7:46:32 PM
Make sure the Leafs win the Stanley Cup before the world ends.
 import_from_UK
Msg: 6
Posted: 5/25/2013 7:49:06 PM
Give myself next weeks winning lottery numbers.

And the power I'd award myself would be the ability to be invisible just so I could tap people on the shoulder and confuse the heck out of them when no one was there.
 kalleea
Msg: 7
Posted: 5/25/2013 8:46:48 PM

If I were a god, I wouldn't be me. So the question is moot.

No it's not a SCIENTIFIC query, it's a fanciful question.
The question is not moot.

If I were [a] god or God I would uncloak the evil ones. They would be incapable of
hiding their evil. They would definately operate as usual. Their faces would all be
emblazened with the word EVIL ONE. The mark would be impossible to remove.

^^^^^^

And the power I'd award myself would be the ability to be invisible just so I could tap people on the shoulder and confuse the heck out of them when no one was there.
LOL Best "God" trick yet!
I vote that one best "Fun God" award!
 Bachelorette.Number1
Msg: 8
Posted: 5/25/2013 9:41:09 PM
What would I do if I were A god?
I would create something cool and wonderful to the benefit of me.

or

What would I do if I were THE God?
I would create something cool and wonderful to the benefit of you.
 cesska
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2013 10:14:08 PM
remove evil, pain, suffering
love all the children
make everyone kind
get rid of snow
rain and ice
no allergies
no aging
jobs for all
free medical care
no more cars
or motorcycles
pax and calmness for all
let everyone do what they do best
unfrizz my hair
 MoonCanvas
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/25/2013 10:14:58 PM

What would I do if I were A god?
I would create something cool and wonderful to the benefit of me.

or

What would I do if I were THE God?
I would create something cool and wonderful to the benefit of you.

So in other words Jesus would be A god, not THE god.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/25/2013 10:36:18 PM
I need to start by asking which kind of god we are talking about.

There are limited gods, unlimited gods, and semi-limited gods.

There are gods of the universe as it is, and gods who have the power to have any universe they please.

There are gods that followers insist MUST be remote from them, and there are gods that are said to act as one among their people.

Personally, I think the idea of a god that created the universe through the subtlety of letting the wave forms which we perceive as particles... follow as yet not entirely understood complex patterns of behavior... which in turn resulted over trillions of what we call years, in the existence of the universe as we know it so far...

To be brilliantly damn clever. Rather more of an accomplishment than using a billiard ball to rebound numerous times against buffers, and finally gently tap it's target juuuust right, that it falls into the corner pocket. But otherwise, very much as exquisite.

Anyway, that's a way of saying that I very much appreciate the power of subtlety. It can accomplish things that brute strength and miraculous powers can never do, because (as many of us find in our search for mates discover again and again), that which happens easily, or by force of arms, or by all-powerful support, will never be appreciated by those it benefits near as much, as when they only barely manage to achieve it through participation in the "magic" themselves.

The closest I can come to the question posed, is therefore to change it a bit. Since if I were an unlimited god, I could try, try try again, without ever having to commit to any particular set of principles, ideals, or even color schemes...I would rather answer what single magical power I would choose, if I were me, and not a god.

I have thought of this before, and I am sure that it would either be very mild telekinesis, or the ability to make colored light beams shoot out of my finger tips at will. I would like limited powers, to stop me from doing too much harm when I am angry.

Ever see an old British movie, called "The Man Who Could Work Miracles"? 1936. Pretty good, all in all. Really outs the "single human being as god" thing into perspective.
 The_Whole_of_the_Moon
Msg: 12
Posted: 5/25/2013 10:51:22 PM

There are limited gods, unlimited gods, and semi-limited gods.

There are gods who babble on endlessly to increase their own self importance rather than answer a very simple question which every other poster was able to do without espousing fanciful philosophical bullshit.
 kalleea
Msg: 13
Posted: 5/25/2013 11:10:57 PM

There are gods who babble on endlessly to increase their own self importance rather than answer a very simple question which every other poster was able to do without espousing fanciful philosophical bullshit.

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking.

How would you make the universe and what sorts of planets galaxies life would you create?

The questions, as posted, don't require a debate on the nature or the
belief in the existence of God. It's not a platform for a debate as such.
Sometimes a question is just a question.

The planets would remain in the galaxies, but the inhabitants would
freely communicate with earthlings in a language we could understand.
Posted: 5/25/2013 11:43:05 PM
Ooh, what a good question.

Almost everything I immediately think of calls up other things that I think of that show that it's either not such a good idea, or dumb and inapplicable. This one makes one think a bit, in a good way. If you treat this question seriously, instead of just playfully, it makes you think about lots of other things in a new light. And so please forgive me if I get too serious or technical with this.

First, I wouldn't really give a sh!t about recognition or worship, I don't see any point in that for a god. And then, just plain fixing things to guarantee that someone's life works out for the good in a certain way carries with it a lot of reservations.

So much of what I'd come up with depends on the structure of the supernatural aspect of reality. For example, does a new soul, a new identity, get created everytime a new organism, human or otherwise, gets born? Or are we all just temporary fragments of a single soul/awareness, which we rejoin or not when we die? Or is there a finite number of us, whether or not we're all always occupying a body? Or are there no souls at all, and it's just a matter of organisms living their lives in the natural realm?

As a starting point for answering this question, I'd figure that it depends on what the whole point of existence is in the first place, in a scenario where there's a god, and there is the natural realm and the living of lives that we're familiar with. If it's because I am lonely or bored, I still don't see that leading to worship by my creations. It might be cool if or when any of them realize I exist and made them, but I don't see any inclination to require it, and, some of them might not care that they exist and might be mad at me anyway. Instead, if loneliness or boredom is an issue, it makes more sense to just make myself live a life as an animal or human, among other animals or humans, any number of times, in addition to whatever else is my intention for creation. I also don't see it making any sense that I'd need to create mortal lives in order to test if souls are good or evil. Wouldn't I already be able to tell such a thing?

And so, I believe that what I'd do if I were god comes down to the adventure of living a life, as we know it. The adventure of living for beings that are not god. As god, I'm sure that I'm completely content in the totality and truth of reality and existence, and have no misgivings about being in such a state. In other words, I don't see being bored or lonely as being an issue, since we're freaking talking about god here, but I do see an impulse towards plain old having fun. The experience of seeing the universe as a non-god. Living a life as a non-god. From a finite perspective, to a variably finite extent. So...I'd make something just like what we have now, and have them happen just how they happen now. Except...

And this is where it gets tricky...I feel that giving non-god beings the adventure of living a life isn't quite possible if I just got rid of all bad things or made things happen in a good way. However, the one thing that I'd want to do has to do with a distinction between bad, and evil...and I'd want to remove evil and extreme hardship from the world. Some people like to think that you can't know good without the bad, but I disagree with this on certain points. I think that it's good for us to have to do what we have to do to live and survive and build lives, but I don't see it necessary to have horrendous hardships and trauma, or to be at war with each other, in order to be happy, revel in the act of living, and revel in the beauty of the universe.

But as soon as I say this, my contemplations go even further and I see that either I could be wrong, or that part of the life-adventure is un-conceived by me such that the facts would be different in this area.

And I know that a great deal of what we call bad or evil ultimately boils down to 1: any given human being, at any given time, having limited knowledge and intellectual maturity, and therefore different views on things (which might be intrinsic and necessary to live an adventure of life as non-god beings), and 2: us having to compete, or believing that we have to compete, in pursuing each our own ends.

And so I might want for things to be like they already are, such that people have to do the things that they do to live life, go through the daily chores of doing so, carving and building a living, and us collectively also have the adventure of learning more and more about the universe as we go...reveling in the fact that we exist, and in the adventure of living moment to moment, and in the universe itself as we get to know it along the way. But to maybe get rid of a certain classification of "evil", not "bad"...so that there is no malign guile or dishonesty, nor separation between people, and get rid of the need to compete or the belief that we need to, if at all possible. And to lessen our need to struggle to survive so much that there is suffering from the most severe of natural threats. That's what I'd do.

After that remains the questions of whether or not we constantly get reborn for this adventure, and whether we are mortal or immortal.

I feel like to an extent I haven't even answered the freaking question. Maybe I'm an indecisive and impotent god.
Posted: 5/25/2013 11:59:15 PM
Or maybe I’d act according to the rules of what god should do as is implied by the behavior of people like kalleea and killingmoon and get rid of their ability to post in forums if they insist on so unecessarily being rude to other people.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 5:55:01 AM
So much for trying to extend the conversation past "ooh, I'd make everybody act nice, and get a Rolls Royce if I had magic powers."
 gingerosity
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 6:58:10 AM
I would put the universe on pause while I tried to figure out what the big red button does. Then I'd create an infinite number of test universes with a single altered variable in each one to try to work out what changes I should make. I'd fast-forward them and decide which had the best outcomes based on the usual methods. You know - customer satisfaction surveys . I'd ask on internet forums what people would improve if they were in charge...

Hang on, guess that means we're in a beta-universe? Hope the inhabitants of the final release version of the universe appreciate our bug-reporting efforts here.
 billingsmason
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/26/2013 8:44:41 AM
I'd probably be a whole lot less selfish....or a whole lot more creative.

why roll the dice if you never had to 7 out?
I'd set the game on random and just have fun.

demi- you're also assuming the world's in a sorry state, and not just as it was "meant" to be.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/26/2013 10:21:46 AM
Can't imagine why anyone would want philosophy in a science/philosophy forum . . .

To answer the Humor question, I'd prolly spend a whole lot of time trying not to mess up what we've got. And trying to understand better why it works the way it does. Make everyone nice? Take away their free will? Not Me. Damn them to burning pain and awfulness forever? Not Me. Prolly just keep giving them another chance, like I did with my kids. Until they *get* it. As a young mum, it was abundantly clear to me that one of my kids most vital needs was danger. I didn't like it, but there it is. A child allowed no danger never even learns to walk. . . .
 Proteaus
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/26/2013 3:51:49 PM
Since it is becoming more and more obvious the human experiment failed . I would clean off the earth before any
further ecological genocide is done to it . Humans make other species extinct on a daily basis ,what gives humans
,if they believe that god created everything , the right to destroy god's creations . Pretty sacrilegious to only believe
in your god , only when you are in church . Always found it very interesting people profess to be religious but only
practice that religion one day a week or when it is convenient to do so . Besides if the
humans survive another six billion years they will have a front row seat as the
andromeda galaxy begins to tear apart and cannibalize our own milky way galaxy .
 Demigod1979
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 4:52:21 PM
As a computer programmer, I naturally envision myself as a god regarding the programs I make. I design them using a top-down approach, define everything in them, program everything they do (or can do) and can redesign as I see fit. Of course none of them are complete digital universes or sentient/self-thinking entities but it's possible we could do this in the not-so-distant future (we'll certainly have the computing power for it within the next decade or so). And of course if I wanted this sentient program to recognize and communicate with me, then I'd make it very clear who I was (although I wouldn't want it worshiping me - that'd be pretty sad). In some ways, it's like the Matrix, with the machines programming in the perfect virtual world (although using imperfect humans).

In terms of this universe, if I was a creator god and wanted human beings to recognize me, and I'd make it absolutely clear. Like the sun, I would make my presence unambiguously obvious to everyone on earth and make my will known to all. Frankly, I would be horribly embarrassed if people went on holy wars with each other over me (I would consider that a failure on my part). Hiding myself from human beings would be a cruel hoax (and maybe it's just me but I can't imagine being such a cruel god).

Make sure the Leafs win the Stanley Cup before the world ends.

I've been praying to the hockey gods and they said it's coming. ;)

Honestly, I think the Leafs have a viable team now, with a lot of existing talent (e.g., Lupul, Phaneuf, Kessel) and upcoming talent (e.g., Kadri, Reimer). They have some holes to fill, and some things to work on, but that's expected of a young team (and at least we're better than the Canadiens - I have no idea how they made second-seed in the east this year).
 aremeself
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 6:22:40 PM
as the story goes, even when god revealed himself, almost all peoples, went there own way.

so, god revealing himself would make hardly a difference as to how this world behaves today.
we have to go through this.

also it sounds like we want that new god to take absolute free will out of our abilities and choices.

those kinds of people would be pretty unexciting to god and us.

why did god build the universe from nothing? because he can.

anyone out there not praise there kids when they started going to the potty?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 7:42:21 PM

I would make my presence unambiguously obvious to everyone on earth and make my will known to all. Frankly, I would be horribly embarrassed if people went on holy wars with each other over me (I would consider that a failure on my part). Hiding myself from human beings would be a cruel hoax (and maybe it's just me but I can't imagine being such a cruel god).

Not to agree or disagree with this, but it is among the more interesting aspects of religions to me.

It is, in fact, essential to the largest religions that their god NOT be easily seen, heard from, and quantified. Without the mystery aspect, there is no faith, rather like one has when dealing with an employer. A visible god loses it's true majesty. And worse, it's followers lose much of their own self respect and self guidance, because they can know too well exactly what they must do one moment to the next in order to "please god." The tendency will be to see a fall off in effort to better themselves.
 aremeself
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 8:58:26 PM
its a lot more satisfying to figure something out for yourself then to by told.

its obvious to me that all things were created [life and the universe with its necessary laws mostly].

he is obviously not very involved right now.
most thinking people can see that. whether he exists or not.
and we don't want him around.

unless he makes us robotic, apparently!
 billingsmason
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/26/2013 9:05:14 PM

he is obviously not very involved right now.

does god care if you threw a coin off the empire state building... heads or tails?

he certainly doesn't seem to follow my red or black bets.

why would god care about that type of thing?

is that what god is? what can he do for me?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What would you do, if you were a god?