Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wizardwoman
Msg: 1
view profile
History
What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?Page 1 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
For example I take HRT, strength train 3X a week, protect my skin from the sun, and minimizing eating processed foods. What is everybody else doing? For me it is not so much looking younger as it is staying healthy and looking as young as I feel. Comments, hints or tips?
 Like2dance
Msg: 2
view profile
History
What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?
Posted: 6/9/2013 12:40:48 PM
I picked the right parents. My parents are both in their mid eighties and doing just fine although I help them out with some things. Their parents lived into their eighties and nineties.
 anita_lay
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2013 1:38:41 PM
I don't look in the mirror much. I avoid my reflection in shop windows. I click my heels three times and say "I AM 22. I AM 22''. I only listen to music made after 2005. I practice phrases such as ''wazzup''. I wear 6'' heels and totter. I snog boys in clubs. I have selective hearing. I sleep in to 2pm. I get mad when my mother won't let me eat ice-cream before dinner. I wet my pants if I forget my toilet training ..ooops, gone back to far....
 ladyc4
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/9/2013 2:38:14 PM
I'm simply ignoring it.
Cindy O
 02HDF150
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2013 2:54:12 PM
Along with the obvious such as eat right and excercise, I also excercise my brain. There are some great "brain games" out there to keep your mind focused and sharp.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2013 2:59:21 PM
while exercise, proper nutrition, hydration and plenty of rest ... avoiding
situations where you're frustrated because you know it's not right but you
can't do anything about it anyway ... picking the right parents ...

while those things are great ... you really can't beat a good positive outlook
on life ... enthusiasm ... passion ... trust ... doing things you're passionate about
and doing these things with vigor ...
 wizardwoman
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2013 6:32:22 PM
Oh my, oh my! Some of the suggestions (while tasty like hagen daz) would turn me in a zepplin. I wish it was as soo easy as saying I am 22, though I would change that to I am 35 ..... Thanks for the laugh!

Not looking for the fountain of youth, but based upon family history I can shoot for the 80's. I have been thinking of yoga but I never have been flexible, not even in my teens. I wonder if hot yoga would make a difference? And, gee, what makes it hot?
 Maleman999
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/9/2013 6:32:46 PM
It's time to go down to the cryogenic lab and put my name on the waiting list. Then at some point, I'll be frozen in time and brought back to life in another 100 years or so.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/9/2013 7:39:25 PM
What steps am I taking? Well, I plan on becoming a brand new woman... one body part at a time.
And speaking of body parts, I am currently at home recovering from a total hip replacement. I now have top of the line, brand new titanium parts...*grin* The new and improved maeflowers,

Looking forward to pain free days....

...mae
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/9/2013 9:28:18 PM
I lift weights, walk fast and am nuts about hiking. Last year I did 26 hikes. Today I completed my 8th hike this year.

For 30 years I've using sunscreen every day, year round: SPF 15 to 80 on my face and neck. Also for 30 years I've been wearing a Solumbra SPF 100 broad-brimmed hat when hiking and gardening, and at outdoor events. (See my photos.) My last tan was at age 27. Skin cancer runs in the family. Daily moisturizer. Plenty of sleep.

Since age 21, I've been regularly exercising, plus stretching and yoga. Running, weight lifting, swimming, hiking and downhill skiing. I decided I need my knees for LIFE. At age 40 I stopped running. Instead I walk fast.

This girl has enjoyed a lowfat, healthy diet her entire life. Thanks, Mom! I eat natural meat and organic food as much as possible. Whole grains. Lots of fruit and vegetables. Drinking WATER all day long.

Never eat deep fried foods, chips, processed food, nor meats with nitrates and nitrates, after my father died of cancer when I was 24. Never drank soda pop nor smoked. Avoid alcohol.

Will be 60 in September. Women in my family live into their 100's, mentally sharp and physically strong. I plan to celebrate turning 60 with a long, beautiful 24-mile day hike to the Enchantments of WA State. I've always wanted to see the Enchantments.
 anita_lay
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2013 10:50:01 PM
^^You're 20 years older?
I dunno. All that ''no drinking, no sun, no carbs, no fun''...I'm glad I lived it up while I was young and I'm glad I can still remember all the bad things I've done and smile at the memories. I couldn't care less about wrinkles and if it means I die at 80 instead of 90...big freaking deal.
You can do everything possible to avoid looking old, but it doesn't mean you're going to live longer. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but bad things happen to good people. Even clean-living ones...
 raxarsr
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2013 2:28:07 AM
kinda funny....my lifestyle.while not the worst........certainly isnt a healthy one.....well.............i was at my class reunion on sat evening..........everyone recognised me right away and commented that, with the exception of my grey beard...i looked the same as i did in school.......funny thing is........with one exception..the guys who "lived healthy"......looked like old bald men.....seriously

now the ladies.....well lets just say that with a few exceptions......the ladies aged very well indeed....matter of fact....several looked quite a bit better..........sure, there were a lot more grey hairs..........but like a good wine...most just got better
 browneyesboo
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/10/2013 7:31:25 AM
I'm not taking many steps.
I don't eat everything in sight, but I do eat what I enjoy.
I rarely go to the gym these days, but I do get out walking
and I love to get out working in the yard and on the house.

I use sunscreen if it's in the face cream I'm currently using.
I go to a young pink and purple haired stylist who does my hair every
8 weeks or so...she has me in her 60 and fabulous portfolio.
I get my nails done every few weeks so they always look nice.

I try not to hang around negative people.
I'm enjoying my first grandchild.
I'm still enjoying my job(s).

The last time I worried about what someone else thought of me
was....I can't remember, it was so long ago.

Other than that...it's all good.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/10/2013 11:30:19 AM

Teeth are also a dead give away of age. Brushing and flossing twice daily, with regular dentist visits every 6 months for a professional cleaning keep my teeth and gums totally healthy.

I brush and floss daily, and use Crest Whitestrips to whiten my teeth. Also regular dentist visits.

I feel lucky to have low cholesterol and low blood pressure. Thanks, Dad! My mother had genetically-elevated high blood pressure, and had a massive stroke at age 75.

I don't think I could hike 24 miles, I would have to work up to it. Do you have to come back 24 miles?

Hiking to the Enchantments, we will day hike 24 miles one way, positioning our cars at two different trail heads. It's an ethereally beautiful, steep, gorgeous hike. We will carry ice axes and crampons.

Starting before dawn with headlamps, we will hike to Lake Colchuck (6,000'), scramble up 2,000' Asgaard Pass over one hair-raising mile, wander through the ethereal Enchantments (8,000') - upper and lower lakes- then down to Snow Lakes, on to Nada Lake and finally arrive at the other trail head.

It will be a challenge and no doubt a very rewarding experience that will be remembered forever.
 Maleman999
Msg: 15
Posted: 6/10/2013 1:33:53 PM
I stick to a strict nutritional guideline. Whatever nutrition is in beer is what I stick to.
 wizardwoman
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2013 6:11:00 AM
If course I want to look younger - but as in how young I feel :) I FEEL 40's so if I can manage to look 49 I would be a happy happy girl.

On the other hand, the women in my family age very nicely - my mom was running around in 3" spiked heels until her 70's!
I am not afraid of wrinkles. I just want to hold them off with a whip until i'm too tired to fight 'em off any more
 nubeginnings64
Msg: 17
Posted: 6/11/2013 7:42:38 AM
Oh I stopped frequenting the forums so much. Not thinking WTF is wrong with people, as often as I had, has lowered my blood pressure.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2013 12:12:35 PM
I deliberately keep a silly attitude, listen to music thats way too young for me and hug my daughters as often as I can. My GF is younger than I am so that helps too.
Mostly, its about the attitude and not sweating the details.
Somedays the dishes can wait and the lawn wont suicide if its not cut regularly.
I find the Four Agreements to be indispensible.

I regulate my chemistry for various reasons, cutting back on bread and try to eat as healthy as possible.

The big thing for me is my mind. I love to learn and research. I feel best and youngest when I have invented something that people can use or serves a purpose for me.

Next thing I want to learn is welding! :)
 wizardwoman
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2013 8:20:29 PM

The big thing for me is my mind. I love to learn and research. I feel best and youngest when I have invented something that people can use or serves a purpose for me. Next thing I want to learn is welding! :)

I have to agree with Scottie - I am going for a bachelors at my tender age, don't need it but why not? Most of the tuition is paid for so I might as well learn something new. And I read, paint, and am learning silver smithing. Next on my list is chasing and repousse! My ex used to get mad at me because I was always asking why this or that or how does it work - his attitude was how would I know? My answer was maybe you do know, if so I have learned the answer and if not I can find out somewhere else.
Stay curious! Keep those brain cells moving :)
 vanityfair55
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/12/2013 5:13:51 AM
Well, guess I have done it all in my past, and regret nothing(had alot of fun),and glad I experienced Life! I also grew up and lived on the beach for many years so have alot of sun damage,that I have to go for freq checks for. Also have worked out for 1-2 hours a day all my life,eat whatever I feel like,the only thing that has got me down at times is the chronic lyme disease I've had for 7 years.But life goes on,noone gets out alive!
 pageforyou
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/12/2013 6:54:44 AM
Don't smoke... Nothing ages a face like smoking... especially those lines around the mouth from too much puffing.

Well I agree that not smoking is best! It's horrendous for your health and that of those close to you, even if you don't smoke around them. Unless you take a shower, wash your hair and change your clothes EVERY time you smoke and before you are with others ... second hand smoke can kill them too. I don't know anyone who smokes who does that. I know hardly anyone who smokes at all! We are down to 11 per cent of the pop in our area who do.

But about those mouth wrinkles. Often, much of it is hereditary and more than people realize. I smoked like mad for twenty years. My son's best friends mother, who I became friends with, is exactly the same age as me and NEVER smoked. She has very noticeable "smoker's lines" across her upper and lower lips. She often points out to me in front of other people how unfair life is that I smoked like a chimney and have no smoker's wrinkles while she does. Her sisters and mother do too. None of them smoked. I have seen very weatherbeaten, tanners with those lines AND they were also smokers.
 c_deacon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2013 8:18:48 AM
Keep moving and do not become a couch potato, which so many do after the age of 50+.

Remember that your body is a temple and a machine that will work on what you put in it, and if you want it running smoothly, be careful of what you eat, how much, and know that the tank does not always need to be full to run smoothly. I think fasting a few times a year and cleansing your body is a good thing, and if one can not run anymore, then walk instead of using all the conveniences of society that surround you.

Now, the reality of it all becomes genetics and one can only overcome so much, and must understand that you can only work with what nature has given you......so do the the best you can with what you have and celebrate life!

cd
 Maleman999
Msg: 23
Posted: 6/12/2013 12:32:10 PM
I'm looking for someone who is selling a DeLorean, but haven't had any luck yet.
 _babblefish
Msg: 24
Posted: 6/12/2013 12:50:24 PM

sfa; lived totally clean and athletic until my mid 50's, i'm now reaping the rewards
of a life well lived as a genetic lottery runner up.. by the time my fast and furious old
age catches up with me, i won't care and/or won't remember
 Maleman999
Msg: 25
Posted: 6/12/2013 1:49:28 PM
Over the years, I've seen pictures or interviews on TV with retired, well known pro athletes. Some of them are still in great shape and haven't physically aged much, and some, who are in the same age range, look ancient and are all crippled up. It's more of a crap shoot than anything else. I know a woman who is in her late 60's who has been a chain smoker since forever, who is still active and appears to be in good shape and health.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?