Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > is height a matter?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Masked_Hero
Msg: 3
is height a matter?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Wow very sorry to hear that Arghie... I don't personally know your pain, being that Im 6'1 barefoot, so its not that often that I find a woman noticably taller then me. What I do dislike is how women have such a double standard. Most of them have height reuquirements in their profile. Yet when a guy says he has a weight limit or don't like big girls they scream Bloody murder and call guys shallow and say how we should get to know the inside of a person. But yet they always turn down the the smaller guys cus of their size... That is so not cool ! I wish ya luck on find'n u a chick 5'5 or shorter bro.... There are plenty out there.
 page1952
Msg: 4
view profile
History
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/4/2005 5:38:01 AM
I think it might be just me, but I prefer a man as tall or taller than I am. I am 5'7". Some men have told me that they are 5'8" and they turned out to be shorter than I was. It was okay but like I said I prefer them to be taller.
 Sy~Baby
Msg: 9
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:57:57 PM
i agree pinballdoctor

but *ahem*

Id have to say that it is not a big deal cus I am 5'5 and my dad was the same height as I am and my mother is 5'6, she loved shorter men...all of us are from short daddies...and my mom was not unattractive. Do not worry 'bout a thing.
 leafyone
Msg: 15
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/4/2005 10:44:12 PM
I agree with smitten, I'm 5'1 in socks, grade 6's are taller, if that's an issue to them then they aren't worth your time, nor heartbreak.
There are many "shorties" out there.
Good luck!
 SexyandBrainy
Msg: 16
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/4/2005 10:49:45 PM
everyone is the same height laying down.

yeah but 70% of our time is spent out of bed!
correction: provided you're only into missonary so make that 90%
 face2face
Msg: 17
view profile
History
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/4/2005 11:00:12 PM
@ thoughtso2:

True enough. Altering ones body fat ratio is really hard (especially at first when the body and mind are most resistant to change). But "really hard" is still a heck of a lot better than impossible (changing one's height that is).

@ Everybody:

Argh... short Listed again!

It isn't winning or losing that is the problem with being "short listed", it's not being allowed to compete in the first place.

This is especially hurtful when admission is denied for a reason completely beyond your control. Nobody "made" themselves short - it's a combination of genetics and early childhood nutrition (you can research this on the internet).

What excerbates the situation is the condescending attitude of "well, there's someone for everybody...". Hey, if I was looking for sympathy, I'd go read some Hallmark cards.

I don't think anyone expects others to adhere to the equal rights movement when it comes to dating. Everybody has preferences. Personally, I like green eyes. But I don't use it as a prequalifier.

@ Original Poster:

The online dating world is puts you at a far greater disadvantage than in real life. That's because you can't use all your assets to your advantage. I'm only 5'5" but I usually don't have a problem outside of cyberspace. My last LTR was several inches taller than me and although she was uncomfortable with it at first, it wasn't an issue once we started dating. In the cyber-world, this experiment is proving to be a bust.

In the real life arena, you CAN use all your assets to attract your mate - wit, being a good listener (this is a real winner), snappy attire, just being there (I'm giving away too many secrets...). She doesn't even have to know you are wooing her... that way she won't "pre-qualify" you with the height restriction. It's like fishing... a little slack, reel it in... a little slack... reel some more... Don't give up -- but don't be a stalker if she really isn't interested ;^).

Make sure you don't have the dreaded "Napoleon Complex".(i.e. don't compensate by being aggressive, gregarious, annoying... etc.). "Short Man Syndrome" is as welcome as non-twist top beer or a case of hives.

Get offline and use your assets to your advantage and make some women feel like a goddess... because YOU da man!
 EarnestQuixote
Msg: 18
view profile
History
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/4/2005 11:56:06 PM
I just wanted to express my admiration and appreciation for the attitudes averred by mrslucci and sasssy. May you both derive great joy from this site.
 The_Majestic_Lizard
Msg: 22
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/5/2005 4:17:58 PM
Yah, most women don't like small men. If the word gets out you are packing it helps. Having a lot of money doesn't hurt either. Working out helps too.
 Paradoxx
Msg: 24
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/5/2005 4:40:32 PM
I dated a guy who was 3 inches shorter than I am. He was a tall one inside though and that was what I noticed right at the start.
 The_Majestic_Lizard
Msg: 26
YES IT IS BUT YOU CAN IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES.
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:39:12 PM
Nope. Lot of people being ambiguous on here.

MOST WOMEN WILL NOT DATE SHORT MEN.

You can improve your chances by developing your physique. Your wardrobe also matters. If you don't have any style, find someone who does to help you out.

Also, most of the women who are absolutely dead set against dating a man who happens to be an inch shorter than they are, are not the sharpest tacs in the box and aren't worth spending any real time with anyway.

And sometimes its not that women really are all that hung up on height, its because they are making relative anatomical assumptions. Word gets out that such an assumption is irrelevent in a particular case....
 globe_treader
Msg: 28
YES IT IS BUT YOU CAN IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES.
Posted: 8/6/2005 10:07:39 AM
i am exact six...and most of my dates/friends are 5- 5.4 (tallers are quite rare here)

most girls i know tell me that they like tall guys...but a tall and hevily muscular guy is a turn off for most...they like athletic built...or little more than athletic built, someone with less fat but more body mass
 TLHlion
Msg: 29
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/6/2005 10:24:24 AM
dude???? Your 5'6...which means normal...Im a personal trainer- or at least I was one for almost 5 years and I have seen all types of guys...some small, some beefy, some with great genetics, some with small ass arms, some with big ass arms... but the one thing they all had in common, was there size...THEY ALL WANTED TO BE BIGGER....Im a little on the " runt side " myself but I have never had a problem with girls....I take that back....the only problem I have , is that they be smaller than me, lol....that is not hard to do...I have not seen more than a couple girls on this site that are more than 5'9...if 5'9 is to tall for ya dude, Im sorry, we do live in Texas after all and we do grow them bigger and better here, lol...And by the way???? Has anybody ever told you , you look like Brett Michaels??? I mean, it can't be that hard looking like a rock star.
 face2face
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Everything Matters!
Posted: 8/7/2005 12:59:30 AM
*** Disclaimer ***
I'm not flaming anybody, so noooobody take this personally. Please! (feel free to send me a nasty - but tasteful - email if you feel I have stepped on any toes).

Everything Matters... (as long as you are tall enough)
Yes it does. but point here is that there are some attributes have minimum values that may be unreasonable (e.g. Potential mate must be 6'0" even though I am 5'2"). Also, if everything mattered, then why do people examine no further once someone has been deemed as "too short"?

Why should anyone have to apologize for what they want?
Correct me if I err, but, I read through this entire thread and could not find an instance where anyone explicitly, or implicitly asked for an apology for a preference.

People aren't looking for an apology. However, people are pointing out a prejudice (yes, I know it is a strong word, but it is pre-judgement) for what it is.

...Everybody as requirements.
No argument there. I just hope people become a little more open-minded. Naturally, a huge disparity in body length may be daunting. But, I don't think that a couple inches should be an issue (i.e. why let social conditioning and rule our own desires -- marketing is more powerful than we realize).

Rejection Sucks.
Yes. Of course the amount in which it sucks really varies in proportion to the amount of control (before anyone says, "that's life..." read the next section on the control bit...). Here's a quick run down (by no means complete):

Body Fat Ratio - self-controllable in most cases.
Political Affiliation - Absolutely self-controllable (even in Afghanistan!)
Musical Preferences - self-controllable and unlikely to be a "show-stopper"

Height - NOT self-controllable

I can't speak for all, but being rejected for things like food preference, hair style, email avatar don't really bother me. These things are what I prefer, and, literally are a definition of self. Rejection would suck, but it would suck very little - because that's the way "I" made me.

No control... that's part of life... (I have a dream...)
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
One hundred years ago, inequality of the sexes was a "part of life" in North America. If we all adopted the attitude that such behaviour set in stone, it would still be a "part of life" here. It isn't totally equalized yet, but we've come a long way. The Taliban still preach this illogical mantra... should those under their oppression just accept the rules because "it's out of our control" -- I hope not.

Yes. Life isn't fair. But let's try to limit the unfair things to nature and fate. Expect people to complain when it's due to human decision.

Also, height exclusion exists largely due to social conditioning (it's not the "primal instinct" that we like to think it is). This stigma can't be changed in a single rant on a forum (I wish!), but slowly it will change.

The latest Space Shuttle Mission is commanded by a woman.

...Impossible to find clothes that fit.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Yes. I won't nitpick, I know the poster really meant "next to impossible". However, the analogy to being denied an opportunity to date would be closer to:

"I was NOT allowed into many shops to browse for clothing because I exceeded their maximum height restriction -- even though I could see that some of the items were suitable"... let me repeat "...NOT allowed into many shops".

Of course, you cannot control the decisions made by the chief economist of some multi-national clothing manufacturer. Clothing designs are mass produced for the bulk of the population and not for the fringes. However, for all intents and purposes, nearly all clothes can be made to order. Sure it costs more, but, it CAN be made for you. Your income is largely in your control -- which offsets the cost. Hence, in the end, you can wear the fashions you desire... unless of course, no tailor would accept you because you didn't pass their height restriction (and you couldn't sew it yourself).

...oh, and it's hard to try on clothing when you aren't allowed into the store.

Closing Notes.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
The preceding rant was not meant to flame anyone. I would be happy to accompany any woman (especially cute 6'3" ones) shopping.
 The_Majestic_Lizard
Msg: 39
Everything Matters!
Posted: 8/7/2005 1:22:03 AM
Packing didn't refer to money.
 Fcukmeplease
Msg: 40
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/7/2005 5:23:37 AM
just point my belly button directly to his then I don't have any problem
 swoopsdad
Msg: 41
Everything Matters!
Posted: 8/7/2005 6:33:38 AM
The only thing that bothers me about women who won't date a shorter man is the fact that these women tend to be the exact same ones who scream blue murder about being turned down for a job or anything else for that matter because they think they are being descriminated against. They want to be able to get exactly what they want out of life(which I agree with totally by the way) but when somebody else rejects them for something because they don't meet some criteria or other they get upset.
I spent time in the Canadian forces and it was a prime example of this. Some women were great at what they were doing and they were promoted and had no problem in the forces. This is because they have strict criteria for what they want. Yet other women weren't as good at the job and all they seemed to be able to do was complain that they were being passed over because they were women.
So to make a short story long, get over it people(both men and women). We all have criteria we want filled, just don't complain when you don't meet others criteria!

By the way women who won't date a shorter man, You really don't know what you're missing!!! Being shorter all our lives we work twice as hard to please!!!LOL
 face2face
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Everything Matters!
Posted: 8/7/2005 10:07:06 PM
You're welcome, Nevis.

You took the effort to view my thoughts, and have shown that your opinions are based on carefully contemplated thoughts of your own. Regardless of whether we are completely aligned or not, I don't think anyone could ask for more consideration.

The world, let alone these forums, need more people like yourself.

Your banner line says it all because in it you actually spot us guys a couple of inches. That is very progressive!

Yes. I have my requirements too (complete with their own set of limits). It's a struggle to practice what I preach! -- you are correct, I think we are more in agreement than I thought in the first place.

Your faithful shopping guide,

face2face

(I think I've grown an inch taller today... almost... there...)

The_Majestic_Lizard
Msg: 58
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/10/2005 5:57:52 PM
Your basement is not haunted. And if you would stop stepping on thier toes and hitting them with your elbows I am sure they would dance with you.
 face2face
Msg: 61
view profile
History
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/11/2005 11:14:52 AM
@ mrs lucci

Off topic but, seriously, is your basement really haunted? (or is this an inside joke)?
 face2face
Msg: 65
view profile
History
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:29:22 PM
@ OP
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread... If it's too off topic, I can EM mrslucci.

@ Mrs Lucci
Wow... We've got spiders downstairs, and I thought that was enough of a problem!

What's happening down there, or, is it just a creepy feeling you get?
 shadowgirl58
Msg: 68
is height a matter?
Posted: 8/11/2005 2:43:38 PM
Remember that saying? "tall, dark and handsome/?"
Well hey at this point in my life -I'd be happy to have someone taller then me lol
Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > is height a matter?