Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Tightwire Walk Across Grand Canyon      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *Cowboy*
Msg: 1
Tightwire Walk Across Grand CanyonPage 1 of 2    (1, 2)
Did you guys watch this live on TV? He survived but I think he is certifiably crazy. lol Crap I hated climbing high into trees when I was a kid. I had trouble walking across the bridge over the royal gorge and looking down.

Check this out if you have not seen it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57590641/nik-wallenda-completes-tightrope-walk-across-gorge-near-grand-canyon/

Cowboy
 Pinky127
Msg: 2
Tightwire Walk Across Grand Canyon
Posted: 6/24/2013 8:43:08 AM
Yep,i watched it this morning and think this guy is certifiabley INSANE!!!!!!
 Coma White
Msg: 3
Posted: 6/24/2013 9:34:40 AM
I watched the whole thing. I'm surprised it wasn't televised by more major networks. He defiitely is a brave dude. I can't stand heights.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 4
Posted: 6/24/2013 9:36:05 AM

Which is factually incorrect, as he walked across the gorge of Little Colorado River Navajo Tribal Park and not the Grand Canyon, but in the world of reporting never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Did you guys watch this live on TV?

Watched bit and pieces of it, and could not stand the "help me jesus" crap and had to turn it off.

It was unfortunate that they took a cool idea and had to commercialize the crap out of it.

If anyone wants to see a real hire wire artist at work who does it for the love of doing it and makes this guys walk look like kids play check out:

Man on Wire

MAN ON WIRE On August 7th, 1974, a young Frenchman named Philippe Petit stepped out on a wire illegally rigged between the New York World Trade Center’s twin towers. After dancing for nearly an hour on the wire, he was arrested, taken for psychological evaluation, and brought to jail before he was finally released. This extraordinary documentary incorporates Petit’s personal footage to show how he overcame seemingly insurmountable challenges to achieve the artistic crime of the century.

http://www.manonwire.com/
 that_ol_lady
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/24/2013 9:39:39 AM
It would have been grander if he would have fallen off the rope with a live filming of him going splat!
course then that would make the cut for a faces of death video..

im sure mr rope walker will come around for another great try an beat death mark agian..
hope he has good life insurance hes gotta wife an kids..

course there was that guy name Karl Wallenda who did fall to his death doing a tight rope walk..

http://www.realclearhistory.com/video/2012/03/22/daredevil_karl_wallenda_falls_to_his_death.html
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2013 9:53:14 AM
That's sort of cool I guess. But not even in the same ballpark as this guy....

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/adventure/featured-videos-adventure/adv-beyond-the-edge-honnold/
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/24/2013 1:51:44 PM
He walked on a 2" diameter steel cable, that's like a walkway, lol. I want to see him do it without his long balancing pole. That would be noteworthy! haha.
 Paul K
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2013 2:08:31 PM
The Wallenda that fell in the video that was referred to, in 1978, was either the grand-father or great-grandfather of the Wallenda that just walked across the wire successfully.

I see that there are still those that try to denigrate everything that they can.

I personally think that he was nuts, but I applaud his bravery. The fact that he was very vocal about his religous views during the walk seems to bother some............. Very tolerant of the intolerant to just turn away when God was mentioned.

Paul K
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 9
Posted: 6/24/2013 2:11:46 PM
Pretty incredible stuff.
I would not want to walk across that gorge even if it were a 10-foot-wide path magically extended in the same spot.
That guy is very confident of his balance and skill...that's for sure.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2013 3:28:06 PM
I knew it was coming u, but no WAY I was going to watch. Too stressful for me.

Given the guy's heritage, I figure it made sense. He's not nuts, he's a Wallenda.

As for all the poo-poo-ers, and the silly people who go around looking for opportunities to fuss about their personal agenda versus someone else's... no matter what anyone says, until they "walk a mile" in the guys shoes themselves, I'd say they are full of something other than sweet smelling flowers.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/25/2013 9:36:43 AM
I watched some of his walk across niagra falls.
He kept thanking jesus. I wonder who he would
have blamed or thanked if he fell.

Turns out he didn't walk across the Grand Canyon
because he couldn't get permission from the parks people.
He walked across another canyon because it was on a
native american reservation and he got their permission.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2013 10:16:49 AM
I couldn't even WATCH him walk across that gorge ... years ago, my granddaughter
and I tried to walk across the glass Sundial Bridge that spans the Sacramento River
in Redding, California ... neither of us got very far ... I like to see something SOLID
beneath my feet!!!
 femaleconnection
Msg: 13
Posted: 6/25/2013 11:11:54 AM
All I know is this-if he were my son when he got back on land, I would be there to kick his stupid AZZ!
 phoenix_55
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/25/2013 12:40:19 PM
I'm terrified of heights, even though I walked that bridge across the Royal Gorge -- YEE-IKES!!!!

I couldn't even watch this Grand Canyon walk. I have a hard time believing that guy wasn't wired up in some way though. You'd have to have a death wish or believe you're invincible to do otherwise.
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2013 4:33:28 PM
I've known quite a few people with what I suspect would be a similar personality as Nik Wallenda. They like to live life on the cutting edge. They like to go where no man has gone before, and few if any will ever go again. I'm not sure I would call them crazy, but there is certainly something that gives them supreme confidence. It might seem irrational to most. I think their level of training and the very considerable experience gives them that confidence, maybe more than they should have. I do think many expect to die relatively early, though they don't wish to. They want to do what they are passionate about for as long as they can, and if they die doing what they love it won't be unexpected.

The people I have known are/were cave divers. They are as a rule highly intelligent, detail oriented, and meticulous planners. They are very confident in their abilities and very calm under pressure, and seek those with similar attributes to dive with. Many of them have perished in underwater caves or other highly technical dives. It's quite possible to enjoy cave diving (as I have) in large, high flow caves without going more than 1/2 mile into the caves. Some divers push the envelope.

They use underwater scooters, multiple tanks (filled with different gases), and thousande of dollars worth of other equipment to travel miles back into a cave. They may be diving in extremely small passages in zero visibility (due to silt being stirred up) at times. They may spend 12 hours in the cave system. Dives like this require extensive planning. There are always setup dives to stage needed resources for the main dive. Redundancy is the name of the game. When you are hundreds of feet underwater (in some cases), and miles away from some means of egress, the loss of your air supply, lighting, propulsion, guidelines and other factors can be deadly. In my estimation, such extreme diving is not unlike the exploration of a distant planet. One cave explorer, engineer, and inventor I know of is intent on exploring Mars. I doubt he will personally, but the mindset to do so is probably the same.

Nik Wallenda comes from a long line of "tight-rope" walkers. He has lived that life since he was a child. I'm sure he realizes he is not invincible, but accepts the risk in order to fulfill his dreams. Many climbers do the same thing, as can be seen from the video posted above.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/25/2013 5:43:31 PM
Crossing a slippery log "bridge" with no hand rail- high above a rushing river with a 40 lb. backpack- I learned to keep my eyes four feet ahead of me on the log. "DON'T LOOK DOWN" is my motto. If I glace at the rushing water, I experience vertigo and temporarily lose my balance.

I am not afraid of heights. Yet crossing slippery log bridges is scary. In 40 years of hiking, I have never fallen in.

People laugh at me because I keep everything in my backpack inside large Ziploc plastic bags. For survival at high elevations, I need my down sleeping bag and jacket to stay dry. Also my pack will float with all those Ziploc bags inside. I ignore them.

Fording powerful, cold rivers, I wear tennis shoes for improved traction on slippery rocks. I loosen the hip belt to quickly drop the pack if I fall in. I need all my strength to save myself, to avoid going over a waterfall. I can snag my backpack later downstream.
 daynadaze
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2013 9:49:46 PM
I cannot watch things like that. I do not want to see some fool die, I can't stand circus acts, heck I can't even watch without my hand in front of my face, when it's a fiction show and someone is about to fall. I can't take the suspense involved, I'll leave the room and come back when it's all over. I know there are people out there who lack the part of the brain that tells you not to do stupid things, but I want no part in being their audience. I literally chew my nails off with fiction and my A-fib has even kicked in, too much, can't take it when it's real and really not when it's live.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2013 3:58:34 AM

He defiitely is a brave dude

More like a freaking idiot.

could not stand the "help me jesus" crap and had to turn it off.

^^^^^^^

Thought I was the only one..irritated the hell out of me.

Lets just drink some Drain-o and pray first/during.

Praying over something known to be idiotic and life threatening..Just tempting GOD if he is indeed a believer imo and very irresponsible for a father.

Im sure the Lord adjusted the wind just for him when it may have been helpful to be doing something else with the wind for another that needed the help do to circumstances not in their control..

Many have very dangerous jobs to feed their children and praying for your safety I get.
But to jump in frt of a train or do what he did for fame/set a record and pray for safety..

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

All I know is this-if he were my son when he got back on land, I would be there to kick his stupid AZZ!

^^^^^^^

Committing them comes to mind before the act.
Then kick their azz
 jed456
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 6/26/2013 4:14:15 PM
I watched the highlights on the new's The guy wants to tempt fate go for it as long as he doesn't land on anyone.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/27/2013 7:29:55 PM
I couldn't stand the "help me, Jesus" crap, either.
 peaceful_garden
Msg: 21
Posted: 6/28/2013 1:54:22 PM
Not my idea of entertainment. Seems unethical to give energy via "viewing" to someone who risks his life especially since he has children. If nobody watches, maybe he'll get a job and become a decent parent.

Nope, I'm not clicking on any links.
 ih8tefrogstoo
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2013 4:02:45 AM
I missed this one as I didn't know when it was scheduled. I did see the walk across Niagara Falls though; very spectacular and scary, esp. with the wind combined with mist from the water getting the cable wet. With the walk across the falls, the only way he was allowed to do it was if he agreed to a small tether attached to the cable itself. Wallenda finally agreed, but begrudgingly...he wanted to do the walk with absolutely no safety measures in place, as he did across this gorge. Crazy? Absolutely, but this risk-taking is something that has been in the Wallenda blood for generations. I can't imagine the courage it would take to attempt such feats. And I can understand his praying to God as well; what I don't understand why that would bother others so much, since it's Nick Wallenda's personal belief. If it gives him comfort and helps him to focus, good for him.
 Coma White
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/1/2013 9:41:47 AM

And I can understand his praying to God as well; what I don't understand why that would bother others so much, since it's Nick Wallenda's personal belief. If it gives him comfort and helps him to focus, good for him.

Exactly. People need to get over themselves. It's his stunt and he can say whatever he wants to help him focus. I'm non religious, I dispise organized religion, and it didn't bother me at all that he prayed the whole time. If it helps him maintain focus, why not pray?
 SpringsDiver
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2013 10:20:27 AM

And I can understand his praying to God as well; what I don't understand why that would bother others so much, since it's Nick Wallenda's personal belief.

It's his personal belief, but when it is broadcast on live TV it becomes public. I of course don't know what others have against his praying, but it might seem to them to be an attention getting stunt used to add to the already significant drama.

It would most likely have bothered me if I had listened to it because I get very tired of people attributing things to "God" that to me would logically be the result of other factors. My niece recently gave birth to two extrememly pre-mature baby girls. They have had numerous medical complications. My niece mentioned several times how wonderful the nuero surgeon and other doctors are. Yet, when the girls showed improvement she would post things like "Praise The Lord" or "God is good". She did so on several occasions. My feeling is that if she wants to praise someone, she could praise the surgeon who went through MANY years (12?) of post-secondary education, internship, and residency programs.

IF one or both of the girls had died, I suspect she would have posted "God must have needed more angels." Yes, it's her belief, but I get very tired of hearing such crap! I don't spout my beliefs every chance I get. Sadly, it irriated me so much I stopped following her posts.
 Coma White
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/1/2013 10:27:14 AM

[It's his personal belief, but when it is broadcast on live TV it becomes public. I of course don't know what others have against his praying, but it might seem to them to be an attention getting stunt used to add to the already significant drama.

That's understandable, but no one if forced to watch public tv. You can change the channel if you don't like it. There are a lot of religious programs on tv. Most classical music with vocals is based on religious texts. The bottom line is that praying helps him focus, just like chanting or using a mantra would help other religious people. I don't think he sould have to censor what he says if it improves his performance.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Tightwire Walk Across Grand Canyon