Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Meet anyone who is jealous of your dogs?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 xpxpk
Msg: 25
Meet anyone who is jealous of your dogs?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
spankin:

Why doesn't this guy get off his fat butt, put his drink in the fridge, and walk the dog with you? Or, maybe he can't multi-task, as in walk and talk at the same time?
 SmartAlec
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Meet anyone who is jealous of your dogs?
Posted: 8/21/2005 6:56:05 AM
My Alec was here first. I simply wouldn't date someone who was so insecure to be jealous about the dog. If they make any nasty comments about the dog then they wouldn't last past the first date.
 shadowgirl58
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/21/2005 10:04:49 AM
this a good topic and I'm glad it will get peoples attention on the dogloves owner issues..

I have known a few people that were jealous of my 5# chi..!!
she is spoiled..but that is besides the point..she is good dis-positioned dog-very lovable 'cept when it comes to nail trimmin..at any rate this guy I knew couldn't foster the idea of the dog going places with me..it was escalating to thinking he was not an animal lover!a dog has to functio n it's bladder and such too..gosh couldn't imagine someone not understanding-unless..they wanted all your attention.
 shadowgirl58
Msg: 44
Posted: 8/21/2005 10:21:26 AM
I hear ya-I love my four legged children!
 TheLadyOfTheLake
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/21/2005 11:01:10 AM
I guess you're either an animal lover or you "ain't". If you ARE, you'll find someone else with the same love for critters and live happily ever after. If you're NOT, and the other person IS, then there's no sense in even trying to make things work because it just won't happen! People who don't "get" the animal connection will ALWAYS be jealous of any attention given to the critters and not to them. They just don't get it :)

I went on a 2nd date with a fella
last week. First .... he took me to see the movie "Must Love Dogs" ... said he wanted to know if the movie was true to real life??? (Odd question to "have to ask", no??) Then, one of the first things he asked me right after we sat down for dinner afterwards (never brought it up on the "first" date) was ...... "If you were asked to give your animals up, would you?". Now this was ludicrous ..... of COURSE I wouldn't, and he'd known through all of our e-mails and telephone conversations about my dogs and horses, so why would he have even bothered to go out with me if he didn't want animals around? (I asked him if he'd "Give Up His Kids" .... he was NOT amused ROTFL). When he heard my answer he lost interest ...... my interest had vanished when I heard his question!

So I guess the answer to the original question izzzzz ..... no, I don't think I could date anybody who was jealous of my animals (that would mean they didn't LIKE animals around, and if that was the case we'd probably never even GET to the next hurdles to cross). And I agree with others who've posted about their animals' instincts towards non-animal lovers. If I really pay attention to what my critters tell me about the people around them, I never go wrong as "thier" instincts are always RIGHT and, sadly, much better than mine!

Sandy!
 Love.Notes
Msg: 47
Posted: 9/21/2012 5:23:38 PM
I always found that if they have a pet of their own chances are they already know what a responsible dog owner has to do to take care of their pets. No pets usually runs into problems. People with pets understand already what must need done. Stick to those that already own a dog, a cat or some other animal.
 playingindirt
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 9:34:21 PM
i wouldnt trust anyone who didnt like my dog and i dont even have a dog right now but ive had one that was cool.
 Cynderella
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 11:42:44 PM
Yes I was told if we ever got together my dogs would no longer be allowed to sleep on the bed...needless to say he got kicked to the dog house.

Just a small note to the dog haters...don't judge me, for my dogs are (like) my children who don't leave the nest. Besides they are only 3lbs. each. We all could fit in the same bed.
 Archangel_07
Msg: 51
Posted: 9/22/2012 6:32:32 AM
Anyone who's going to get jealous over pets, needs to dip out. OP he wanted more than just a drink and a conversation if he's getting jealous over little crap like that. Had one lady tell me she doesn't like cats. Simply enough, I stopped dating her because we are not on the same page.
 irishbaby58
Msg: 52
Posted: 10/1/2012 5:09:42 PM
OH MY GOSH...Here is a thing my daughter sent me from facebook...As I have 2 Toy Teacup Mini Pins and they are my girls Bellia and Kopper...I dated a guy who was so jealous...it was funny. He couldnt stand them,then before he knew it the Black Mini Pin wouldnt stay out of OUR chair,he was sitting in so I told him that if he didnt want her beside him HE would have to move a another chair...He lost and she won back her chair...with her laying in the chair...
Here goes (this is a dog talking) First I live here and you dont ....If you dont want hair on your clothes stay off the furniture....My owner loves me better than most people....And she Loves me and takes care of me like I am her baby. They (guys) should understand if we take such good care of our babies...Look the way they would get treat....Well Maybe....If they could be as loyal as our dogs...Smile
 webmdtech
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2012 1:18:22 PM
Dogs are emotionally shallow animals, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do.
 PaintMeRoses_
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/2/2012 2:20:12 PM
Why in the world would you need or want to 'break' a dog? There is never a need to yell at your dog if you are an informed and patient owner. It requires you to take time to train your dog in a caring manner so he/she learns what is/what is not acceptable behavior.
 CheezyChick
Msg: 59
Posted: 10/2/2012 5:33:13 PM
No...but I've met dogs that are jealous of my man ;)
And I've met men that are dogs...lol
 4ms4me
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2012 5:36:07 PM

If your dog bristles up when he comes near you, kick him to the curb ..... If your dog HATES a guy he is probably evil and bad and has bad intentions toward you and you should immediately get rid of him.

My dog is suspicious of everyone, male or female, old and young. If I was looking for a new guy, he'd have to really love dogs cause my lil'pup ain't no pushover for a few treats. I've no idea how long it would take my dog to warm up to a new person; he's 2.5 years old, and he's still only accepted three people as trustworthy. He's a great watch dog, but he puts the entire human race into the "evil" bucket, till they've proved themselves otherwise.
 abmccray
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2012 10:29:22 PM

Dogs are emotionally shallow animals, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection. They don't sell out the way dogs do.

How can you profess to like animals in your dating profile, and not even understand how their mentality works?

(Emotionally shallow doesn't have anything to do with "instinctual need to appease authority," obviously, for instance - especially when one has thousands and thousands of years of co-evolution with another species)
 jrzygirl43
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/3/2012 8:43:06 AM
Maybe the guy wasn't jealous of the dogs but wanted to get to know you over conversation and a drink but you wanted to walk the dogs? I have a dog and a child and I'm a single mom..unless the guy I was dating/meeting and I had agreed we'd take the dogs for a walk together I'd either walk the dog before or after we were together. I get you love your dogs but really...the dog doesn't have to join you for every event..maybe you need to realize a date means you and the guy not you, the dog and the guy.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 12:16:13 PM
Okay, I'm going to commit suicide, by A. daring to disagree with the forumites, and B. talking reason with dog owners.
I like dogs...I like walking dogs, I like cats too......but is it so hard to understand that men just need a little attention?
Its not jealousy, its annoyance........after all the rejection life brings, paying for everything, working hard, is it so wrong to seek the company of a wonderful woman without total distraction?
Do I really have to make love with you while your mutt is jumping up and down on the bed? Do you really have to leave my place early because fido will eat the couch if he doesn't get his walk? Do I really have to be bit in the ankles and have my hands licked every 3 minutes after it cleaned its butt? I don't need that much attention, but when YOUR animal is the center of MY universe, I'm out.
Almost all the posters here have drawn a line in the sand, if the men don't like it they can split.....nuff said.
 4ms4me
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 1:20:47 PM
Hey, Green Jello, I love my dog but I hear you. I'd want the same thing you want - time alone without the dog, so the humans can bond. So my goal would be to have the dog mind his manners with visitors - if my dog were the friendly type, he'd be taught 'company' manners, and to mind his own business while the humans are getting it on. Leaving early cause Fido needs a walk ... well, its more than just getting the couch chewed on, it's also the mess the dog might be forced to leave, the health issues it can cause if the dog tries to hold it too long, and really - it's not fair to the dog. They rely on the humans to take care of them, and have no recourse if said human decides that an extra-long dinner date takes priority. There are ways around most things (dog sitters come to mind, for weekend getaways), but just like dating a single parent, compromises will have to be made.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/3/2012 4:55:19 PM
I have dated men with dogs which is why I no longer date men with dogs. I like dogs, have owned dogs and I am not jealous of dogs...but I am just not willing to deal with the bad behaviors of their owners.

Whenever I dated a guy with a dog, he would let his dog out in my yard but not clean up after, we could not go anywhere for more than a couple hours because the dog might need to go outside, he would want to go do something with the guys and expected to kennel the dog at my place even though I, too, had a life and friends. Most did noteven bother to treat or groom their dogs and I'd come home from a date to find fleas and/or ticks on my socks, or they let their dogs chew/run loose/bark/mark through the house and not discipline them. After several such experiences, I now only date men who do not have dogs.
 stayinalivefl
Msg: 71
Posted: 10/3/2012 5:58:24 PM
Maybe those guys wish that they could lick their own balls too,lol.
 lonelyheart1022
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 10/3/2012 6:18:40 PM
I love dogs and have always had one in my life. They love you unconditionally and are always happy to see you. They are honest with their feeling and don't stab you in the back like some people do. But they do require your time, attention, affection, and care. And cost of their upkeep can get up there. My dog is just like my child and is well taken care of. I prefer dogs under 25 pounds just because I'm a softie and let them in the house and on the furniture, including my bed. If I had a big dog, I'd feel sorry if I made it stay outside, so I'd let it in. Then I'd feel bad if I made them stay off the furniture so then they'd be taking over the furniture. So I stick to small dogs! Although I do wish I had a couple of big, mean dogs in my house yesterday when my house was robbed! Needed dogs that would bite first and ask questions later!LOL!

A good friend of mine was not raised around dogs and could never understand how people could love their dogs and treat them like children. A few years ago, I had a dog given to me. She fell in love with her, so I gave the dog to her as I already had one. Anyway, now that she has had the experience, she understands. In fact, she spoils her dog worse than I do mine!

I do agree that you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat animals. How they care for them, how they interact with them, etc. , shows how they will treat people. If they have to be the center of attention all the time, they are just shallow people. I'm not saying that you need to spend all of your time with your pet and live your life around your pet, but there needs to be a happy medium.
 abmccray
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2012 5:57:53 AM

I have dated men with dogs which is why I no longer date men with dogs. I like dogs, have owned dogs and I am not jealous of dogs...but I am just not willing to deal with the bad behaviors of their owners.

Whenever I dated a guy with a dog, he would let his dog out in my yard but not clean up after, we could not go anywhere for more than a couple hours because the dog might need to go outside, he would want to go do something with the guys and expected to kennel the dog at my place even though I, too, had a life and friends. Most did noteven bother to treat or groom their dogs and I'd come home from a date to find fleas and/or ticks on my socks, or they let their dogs chew/run loose/bark/mark through the house and not discipline them. After several such experiences, I now only date men who do not have dogs.

That's not a reflection of dog owners, that's a reflection of you having a broken picker and choosing to go out with irresponsible men. If those men didn't have dogs, they'd still have the same issues, evidenced elsewhere. Why are you trying to take the onus off of your own failings?
 Archangel_07
Msg: 74
Posted: 10/4/2012 6:55:01 AM
I'm not jealous of anyone's pets. I have my own and I take care of my cat. One thing I do have a problem with is HOW PEOPLE TAKE CARE AND TRAIN their pets. My mom has a dog and she used to be out of control, till Mom and I trained her. When people come over to her house the dog knows how to act right and so does my cat, my cat is more anti-social around people accept toward my cousin and myself, the cat will just go outside when people are around and comes back in when she's ready. My Mom dog is quiet and doesn't jump around scratching on people's legs, she may sniff ya to know who the person is but she is well behaved.

When I used to bring dates in the house it would not effect our intimate time together. But now that I'm living in a apartment with a roommate I have to respect the space of my roommate and not just bring random people to the house without knowing them well enough to trust them, the cat I don't have to worry about, it's more my roommate and I understand that because we both like our respect of house.
 LukeMM23
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/5/2012 1:50:25 PM
No. But, I have actually met a lot of women from POF, who were jealous of my dead mother, because I constantly wear a metal wrist band to remember her. Like someone getting a tattoo with their dead loved one's name on it. Well, I don't like the idea of getting tattoo, so I got a wrist band. It's on my left wrist. It's not the gay side. lol. But, these women still end up, acting weird when I tell them about it. Are they really expecting me to give up the memory of my mother?? LOL
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Meet anyone who is jealous of your dogs?