Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do most men look twice their age after 50?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jan1025
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Why do most men look twice their age after 50?Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Why do most men look twice their age once they reach ages between 50 to 60?

Most of them have that “all used up look”.

I have noticed this a lot in my age bracket, and I was wondering why men my age look so old.

Is it their lifestyles, hardaches or just genetics?

Why?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 2
Why do most men look twice their age after 50?
Posted: 7/2/2013 8:41:33 PM
That's funny...that age bracket will be here in a heartbeat for me.
Interestingly, my last vacation was a week-long, 500-mile bicycle tour in the mountains.
Making generalizations about an entire age group and gender is unrealistic.
 jan1025
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2013 9:08:38 PM
Thanks

I am not talking about all men, and I am not including women in this for a reason. I was wondering...

You three men that have replied so far look great! Maybe it's my location. Most men around my age and around my location look so old...

Even the ones in shape just have a aura of oldness about them.... Like they been around and around...

I notice this in grocery stores and in everyday life. I don't go to bars, I couldn't imagine how bad that would be, lol

Maybe this was just a stupid subject to bring up, but I thought some women might have some information as to why this is with older men, and if they have noticed this also.

Thanks again,
Jan
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 4
Posted: 7/2/2013 10:00:23 PM
Many of the external causes of aging skin are determined by the health and lifestyle decisions you make every day. Making unhealthy choices can cause prematurely aging skin, and this makes you look older, faster.

Here are seven habits that contribute to aging skin, and make you look older than your years:

1. Cigarette smoke
2. Sun exposure
3. Lack of exercise
4. Exposure to cold weather
5. Alcohol use
6. Stress
7. Lack of sleep
 Holly63
Msg: 5
Posted: 7/2/2013 10:07:24 PM
I live in Australia where the climate variables are often extreme. Maybe the outback cattle station folk look older than their years due to hard work and weather conditions. Generally speaking it is a trend for people who work outside to physically be affected due to the harshness of the hot sun.....and that includes women.

Having said that, some people age gracefully and some don't. Again, that includes women. Does a man who looks older than his years turn you off?
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 6
Posted: 7/2/2013 10:41:45 PM

Does a man who looks older than his years turn you off?

Since humans are unabashedly physical creatures, I'll offer this theory - guys usually make the decision in their 50s to give up dyeing their hair and other vain crap to look younger. If a guy's look includes a white head instead of salt-and-pepper or jet black or whatever color they had used, they're gonna look a LOT older.

Think about President Reagan keeping his hair shoe-polish black while in office, and soon after he stopped and went gray. The dude was in his 80s when he was still in office, but people took his appearance as something much younger and virile. The idea that he had developed Alzheimer's while President seemed like such a shock to some people, but he WAS old - he just kept his appearance as somebody much younger.

Ditto for famous ladies using makeup to smooth out wrinkles and cover up age spots. The second you see them without any makeup on - even the younger ones in their 30s - they ALWAYS look 'older'. There's an age when people decide to 'f*ck it, I'm old' and forget about doing all that vain work getting themselves dolled up.

Personally, I'd actually prefer it to see one dating profile pic with a ladies' face au naturale, but I know damn well there's just too many 30 and 40 somethings out there that won't be caught dead in public without their full 'face' installed for the camera.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 7
Posted: 7/3/2013 3:26:54 AM
too much...
- smoking
- drinking
- drugs
- sedentary lifestyle

...and last (but not most assuredly not least) ...... DRUMROLL.....
lousy diet

you could leave out the first four things on that list and easily have your health compromised by your diet alone. it happens alllll the time. also, being indolent often goes hand in hand with a bad diet.... double-whammy.

when people hit the age of 50 or so, it's when a lifetime of bad habits finally starts to catch up with you.

vvvvvvvvvvvv

If he looks older than his stated age, maybe he is lying

TWUE. no shortage of men in their mid- to late 60s around here shaving 10-12 years off their age. possibly more. I know some people look a lil' haggard for their age, but *that* many???? nah they lost a decade somewhere and forgot where they put it.
 DragonBits
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/3/2013 3:34:30 AM
How do you know a man's true age?

If he looks older than his stated age, maybe he is lying. Hard to know.

I am 61, that is what it looks like for me.
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2013 7:45:14 AM
I had the same exact thought last night.When does a woman decide to stop dying her hair and ease up on
the face painting?I know a lot of ladies who are a complete 360 in the looks dept.without their makeup.Whynot
post a picture without your makeup?That would be interesting.
 enigoM
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/3/2013 8:37:44 AM
Probably has more to do with Genetics than any thing else...
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2013 9:51:00 AM
^^^^^Genetics may hand you a water pistol but you don't have to load it, esp with TA KILL YA.

I pick the letter S for today

Not in order and applies to women as much as men.

Sun
Stress
Sugar ( all the crap that turns to sugar also)
Sedentary mind and body
Smoking
Sangria

SUCKS

Op It seems to start about the age of 40 around here.

But picking on the men is not fair.
What ages men ages us also.

I do agree the posters on this thread look pretty young/good for their ages to me

As to the comment on hair dye and women..Men dye hair and beards, can grow hair over double chins and imperfections , so lets call it even.

I let my silver shine through with my highlights.

jan1025
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2013 10:30:32 AM
No, men my age aren't turn offs, but I'm not looking for a relationship either. If I was looking for a relationship or a man I would look around my age group, which is why I asked this question to begin with, because I am very aware of men in my age group, if that makes sense? lol...

I could see how hard work and all the rest listed here may be most of the cause of the aging processes.

I also noticed that these men that I notice don't seem to even care about grooming, etc. Maybe, I've just been at the wrong place at the wrong time and all these men that I've noticed are just getting out of work. lol...

I didn't mean to put men in a corner, for I realize many women are not holding it together either, but I honestly don't look at women like I look at men, and that is why I asked the question.

I don't have a problem with makeup, or a man dying his hair, etc. I think it's important not to look so beat up or appear in public as if a person just climbed out of bed and threw some sweats on... This is what they look like, it's a shame that people don't work a little bet harder at their appearances, especially single mature people, and especially if they are looking for relationships.

I was just wondering if others notice this as much as I do that is all....

Thanks everybody for your responses.
Jan
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 13
Posted: 7/3/2013 7:35:05 PM

I know a lot of ladies who are a complete 360 in the looks dept.without their makeup.Whynot
post a picture without your makeup?That would be interesting.

My hiking photos show me without any makeup. Who cares? I'm all sweaty anyway.

I don't wear much makeup, just a little lipstick and nose powder. A little eyeliner when I'm dressed up. I prefer a natural look.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2013 3:57:49 AM
^^^^^^^
Another here literate.
I hate a lot of make up but look so pale with out eyeliner/lipstick.
Special occasions ill cover stick and powder my nose. ( sun makes it reddish)

Also love the no color un-shine products they have now. DHC makes a good one and think drugstores are coming out with them now.
No color, less noticeable than powder and knocks those shiny spots and blurs a few little lines out.

Nothing but liner and lipstick in my pics too.

Men can use the product also. Its called velv*t coat.

I dont date men that dont have good grooming and dont know why (Op) you are getting those.
Just make meets short and say next if they dont respect themselves and you enough to be presentable.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 15
Posted: 7/4/2013 6:20:58 AM

Because for some odd reason you think that people are suppose to look a certain way after X number of years.

Humans are mutts and because of that, there is no standard for body type or any associated characteristic, therefore how we look after and arbitrary number of years has more to do with who we are than anything else.
 activemelaney
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2013 10:41:20 AM
Most men can't look twice their age. If most men look a certain way after 50, then that is how men at that age look. It's like saying most men are taller than average....not possible.

Most people can appear younger than the average. This is the way they carry themselves which is usually a reflection of a healthy lifestyle...slim, vibrant, alert.
 oldie_but_hottie
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2013 2:48:41 PM
I don't think this can be generalized to men. I see many women who at 40 look like my mother! Smoking, big layers of make up, and a miserable/materialistic outlook on life tend to age women in a terrible way.
 slowitalldown
Msg: 18
Posted: 7/4/2013 3:03:47 PM
There`s a huge variation in how people look at any age. I find it very difficult to know people`s ages. Meeting in real life, as opposed to online, it`s never really occurred to me to wonder how old they are, Im thinking more if I am attracted if anything.

I very rarely wear makeup. I might look better wearing it, but most of the time I cannot be bothered. (Maybe I should reconsider this!)
 jan1025
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2013 3:05:33 PM
I have noticed that everybody is so concerned about makeup. I think makeup enhances most woman. Granted there are women who shouldn’t wear makeup because they don’t have the bone structure or they simply are lovelier without it, or they simply do not know how to apply it.

LOL...It’s not so much the makeup that I notice men wearing though, lol… I did notice Bret Michaels likes the eye liner, lmao, lol…. I’m not sure I like it on him, and yet I hear he’s bald and has hair extensions! No kidding. Just think how different he would look without the hair and eye liner! Wow! I still think women would find him hot because he’s in great shape and well groomed!

It’s not so much the looks that I was referring to… It’s hard to explain. I think it’s a combination of lack of grooming, bathing, health, genetics, etc… Like hair in the ears, or the eyebrows that go every which way… maybe, men don’t think they need to even those irregularities out even though they have great looking bodies, or not so great looking bodies?

I appreciate everybody’s responses. I think, I’ll let this rest I’ve come to the conclusion that there are some men that are holding strong and others are not as the aging process takes it’s course (mostly in my area)! Some care and some don't!

I do apologize if I offended anybody.
Take Care and thanks!
Jan
 jan1025
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2013 5:37:04 PM
It was just a figure of speech.

It's a saying and one I guess you've never heard of before! I've heard people say it hundred of times. Excuse me for not being more accurate. I didn't realize you live on an island and probably never heard it before...

Give me a break,
Jan
 ozarkguy
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2013 8:18:18 AM
Jan1025--I think it's hilarious that someone would start a thread about an age group's appearance without posting their own photo. For the record, I've seen plenty of women's photos that look far older than their posted age
 jan1025
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2013 1:27:22 PM
How is posting a question about men around my age looking older than their age hilarious? You seem to be insulted and laugh (hilarious) this off as something mean and degrading for some reason within yourself, that’s not my problem.

I started this thread not about women aging or about myself. I started this thread because I’ve noticed that men at my age don’t look 50-ish they look (I will be more accurate) 60 and 70 years old. I posted this thread because I wanted to know why MOST men and not women seem to look double older than their true age, period.

For the record, I don't make a habit of checking women out for a possible relationship, so their looks don't mean nothing to me.

When I started this thread, I didn’t mean to disrespect anybody, I was simply curious if other women around 50-ish have noticed this about men in this age group also?

I do not post my picture because I am not looking for a relationship and neither am I interested in dating right now, but I can assure you that I am holding up pretty good for being 52 years old, and I do not look my age. My last boyfriend was eight years younger than me, and to be honest he looked ten years older than his age.

I just want to know why you feel the need to be sarcastic as you are finding this post hilarious, but please take time off and figure out why you think this is so damn funny, really. I don’t think it’s “hilarious” and it was a genuine question.

And now I really could care less, because I do know why now.

Thanks to those responders who really took time out of their day to be forth right and not laugh at my curious post.
Excuse me, next time I’ll incorporate both sexes so not to put someone’s jockey’s in a twist.

By the way looking at your picture (orzarkguy) you look around 70 years old (to me), is that your age? Just being honest, and it's just my opinion. I don't think that's funny though, but you might!
Jan
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 23
Posted: 7/7/2013 3:07:11 PM
Going to combat can age a person deeply; lack of food, sleep, ample shelter from the elements, constant worrying, and death all around. I spent from 2005 to 2011 in Iraq and Afghanistan, and have noticed the immense change in myself and the men I went to combat with, yet they are wise beyond their years. My uncle served in the Pacific during WWII. I look at the pictures of him before and after the war; he didn't look 26, rather he looked 46 when he came home.
 MLC262
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2013 11:44:05 AM
here too in
ottawa, Canada
 statemachine500
Msg: 25
Posted: 7/8/2013 5:49:26 PM

I started this thread not about women aging or about myself. I started this thread because I’ve noticed that men at my age don’t look 50-ish they look (I will be more accurate) 60 and 70 years old. I posted this thread because I wanted to know why MOST men and not women seem to look double older than their true age, period.

Even with exercise a man starts to decline after approx 42-43,45 being the outside.By 50,test is lower,growth hormone output is usually low,sleep not as sound as previously.Add poor diet and not enough exercise.....guys can age a lot between 42 and 52 if they don't take close care of themselves.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do most men look twice their age after 50?