Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Accents      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deere_rancher
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Accents Page 1 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
An accent is a manner of pronunciation peculiar to a particular individual, location, or nation. An accent may identify the locality in which its speakers reside (a geographical or regional accent), the socio-economic status of its speakers, their ethnicity, their caste or social class, and so on.

I'm just would like to know , for how many people on POF , is an accent a dealbreaker .. and why
 gcdeb
Msg: 2
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 7:38:25 PM
I don't think it would ever be a dealbreaker.... there are definitely some accents that are 'dealmakers' though ;)
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 3
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 7:42:33 PM
For me, it's not the accent but the quality/pitch of voice itself that could be a dealbreaker. The wrong voice combined with an annoying accent would really kill it.

But accents? Heck, I'm from "Picksburgh" where we all talk funny
 NewYorkFan1
Msg: 4
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 7:44:09 PM
As long as we are able to understand what each other are saying, I don't believe accent would play any role with someone I was dating.
But some women's voices can be a big turnoff for me. And that has nothing to do with their accent, just the sound of their high pitched, shrilly voice...
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 5
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 7:48:30 PM
Only one accent is a deal breaker to me, and that's because I cannot understand it.

I have difficulties with accents in general because I'm not used to them and didn't grow up around it. It would take me time to get used to.
 Happy_gal2013
Msg: 6
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 8:21:37 PM
I would have no problem one having an accent if communication between the person and myself was able to comprehend the differences of one another.
 Cynderella
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 8:57:16 PM
Funny I was asked if I had a Canadian accent...No I don't have an accent or do I!? LoL

We all do we just don't hear ourselves.

No deal breaker, I find them very sexy when softly whispering in my ears.
 theusmale
Msg: 8
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 9:24:21 PM
If it sounds like a mouse, talks like a mouse, and squeaks like a mouse... it's probably time to run Forest, run!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 9
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 9:38:45 PM
Presence or absence of an accent would have zero impact when forming a relationship.
It is not even remotely a factor as far as I am concerned.
 Iredurbio2
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 10:03:23 PM
My accent, being of Irish descent had more to do with where the scotch was procured and it wasn't the stereotypical
N Y beat cop.It sounded like the robert shaw "ya'ver seen a shark s ayes,cheif"?with marbles in your mouth stereotype!
You know, Irish?Drunk? Same thing! When I was polluting myself years ago my drinking buddy was a nat.american.He always said his accent was slurred.
 jc91607
Msg: 11
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 11:10:20 PM
Some accents can be sexy, others can be the quite the opposite. Furthermore, what is sexy to some is repulsive to others and vice versa.

That being said, I would not choose to date somebody solely because of an accent, but it does play into the first impression one creates. As we all know in dating, as well as most other human interactions, first impressions are a big deal.
 hounddoug
Msg: 12
Accents
Posted: 7/31/2013 11:27:44 PM

But accents? Heck, I'm from "Picksburgh" where we all talk funny

To any Canadian all Americans talk (and spell) funny.

Funny I was asked if I had a Canadian accent

Only if you're from T'ronta or a Newfie, eh.
 TonyVerse
Msg: 13
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 3:08:39 AM
Are you kidding me? Accents are hot. Plus most times it's a sign that a person speaks more than one language. No, an accent is never a deal breaker for me. I live near Miami, FL where everybody has an accent so I'd be crazy to allow such a thing to become a deal breaker for me.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 14
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 4:37:48 AM

To any Canadian all Americans talk (and spell) funny.

Funny I was asked if I had a Canadian accent

Only if you're from T'ronta or a Newfie, eh.

Cynderella - You shouldn't have an accent if you are from the West Coast.

Hounddoug - you spelled it wrong - one too many t's there, it's Trawwna! I still get razzed about that after 15+ years because I still call it Toronto.

And I don't think that all Americans talk funny, there are many pockets of relatively unaccented English in the US, spelling however, is bad!

Now accents, as long as I can understand what is being said, I rather like the sound of accented voices.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 15
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 6:17:06 AM
There are some accents that are just offensive to my ears. I won't mention anything in particular. Some accents I have a hard time understanding. Sometimes it's just the tone of someone's voice. I can't do whiney or nasally voices at all.

But like another poster said, some accents are "dealmakers" ... those darn Aussies will get me every time ;)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 16
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 6:54:25 AM
Accents are only problematic if it's so thick that I cannot understand them. I have trouble focusing on one voice in crowded places like nightclubs where there are dozens of people talking at once, and an accent can make it easier (or worse) to isolate their voice and understand them in that kind of place.

One thing I've noticed about my own speech is how people read into my TONE of voice more than the content of what I am trying to say. Have you ever had a terrible head cold and your tone of voice drops a few octaves? My voice on the phone can hide the 'congestion' noise fairly well, but because the tone has dropped, people read into that change as me being angry or something. Even thought it's not the case, after a while it DOES get annoying to have to re-explain yourself repeatedly, and I WILL get grumpy.
 cooldog65
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 7:44:34 AM
Hot South American babe, foreign accent...Just what the doctor ordered.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 18
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 8:19:01 AM
Being from Northern Ireland, I still have my accent, although I now live in Canada.

I've had a male friend tell me I should go into sales, because people would buy anything from me just to hear the Irish accent! LOL!

I like accents, btw, and no, they're not a deal breaker to me.
 ouija2013
Msg: 19
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 8:26:07 AM
I wouldn't meet a Man after hearing his voice on the phone..
like Arnie in KC.
Off putting. I like accents tho. Except his :/
 Fleuron
Msg: 20
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 11:28:22 AM

It sounded like the robert shaw "ya'ver seen a shark s ayes,cheif"?

That is so spooky. I was just this morning thinking about that scene in “Jaws” when Shaw is telling the story of the USS Indianapolis. Chilling. I love that movie.

OT

I like an accent and I especially like NY accents because there are so many varieties. Also with a NY accent you get what you hear….it may be kinda vulgar but it’s real.

The kind of accents I DON’T like are fake ones, like that ridiculous gecko I’d like to drop kick and every single person who fakes a Russian accent sounds like Boris and/or Natasha. I find that not only stupid, but incredibly insulting to Russians and everyone else who has to listen to it and are expected to believe it.

And Nicholas Cage’s accent in “Con Air”……so very very bad.

I thought Hugh Laurie’s American accent was dead on. :)
 Like2dance
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 11:33:37 AM
I am OK with most accents but some just seem to grate on me. A huge part of it is the tonal quality (or lack thereof). I am happy I did not grow up in certain places, that's for sure. It would be terrible to find my own accent offensive!
 NtvNtv
Msg: 22
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 1:43:14 PM
Accents don't bother me.
If he has a nice voice that's even better.
 Kentish-Man
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 2:24:10 PM
So many people on this thread have obviously never been to Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham or Essex in the UK.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 3:02:12 PM
I like accents and it makes me more attracted to the women.
Seems I have one also ...deep voice with a Brooklyn accent. Must sound weird cross of Sean Connery and Joey from friends! lol. Hate when I got made fun of "Adrian" Adrian "
 deere_rancher
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 4:15:53 PM
I have have a small midwestern accent , But I asked this question because,
I have a close friend with a strong british accent , surrounded by cajun and texas accents and recently dating a nice asian lady , who is still struggling with english.
I'm realizing that as I age ... good english ..can like feel a friend
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Accents